Overheard on the news

1 view

Les Griswold

Nov 12, 2001, 10:01:00 AM11/12/01

I dunno what airline declared this, but now they're banning CROCHET HOOKS
on flights.

Air Canada, IIRC, banned freakin' POPPIES after Sept. 11, until there was
enough of an outcry to revoke that stupid fiat.

What a world we live in!

Les!

Herbert Cannon

Nov 13, 2001, 7:26:59 AM11/13/01
Why poppies?
Les Griswold <eg...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> wrote in message

Badger Jones

Nov 13, 2001, 11:07:36 AM11/13/01
>Why poppies?

In Canada, one traditional observance of Remembrance Day (Veterans'
Day for our US brethren), is the wearing of a pin in the shape of a
poppy, as a commemoration of the John McCrae poem 'In Flanders
Fields.' It consists of the red flower (symbolizing blood shed), a
green center (freedom) and a bent pin (symbolizing the wounded IIRC).

Anyway, they were banning the poppies because GASP they had a pin -
which could somehow be used as a weapon to take over a plane, etc,
etc, yada yada.

Go to www.icomm.ca/~emily for some more info on the poppy.

Free Steve Gartin!
Badger Jones
www.cyberus.ca/~badger

Jeremy Graham

Nov 13, 2001, 12:52:59 PM11/13/01
"Herbert Cannon" <hcan...@home.com> wrote in message
> Why poppies?

Because of the pins. The idiots from the security company later apologised.

> Les Griswold <eg...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> wrote in message
> >
> > I dunno what airline declared this, but now they're banning CROCHET
HOOKS
> > on flights.

Hadn't you heard? They're afraid someone might crochet an Afghan. :-)

JG

Pierre Honeyman

Nov 13, 2001, 3:42:57 PM11/13/01
"Herbert Cannon" <hcan...@home.com> wrote in message news:<nk8I7.88270$pb4.48...@news2.rdc2.tx.home.com>...

> Les Griswold <eg...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> wrote in message

> Why poppies?

In Canada the custom is to buy poppies from veterans in remembrance of
those lost in war. The poppies are plastic jobbies with, apparently
lethal, pins to attach them to your clothing.

On the plus side they sold out this year, the first time since the
20's.

Pierre

Kirk Lawson

Nov 13, 2001, 3:59:23 PM11/13/01
Pierre Honeyman wrote:

> In Canada the custom is to buy poppies from veterans in remembrance of
> those lost in war. The poppies are plastic jobbies with, apparently
> lethal, pins to attach them to your clothing.

Soooo.... My wife's Cameo Broach is now a leathal weapon? Cool!

Peace favor your sword (FSG)
--
As of 8:45 on Tuesday, September 11, 2001, I live in a nation united.

Les Griswold

Nov 13, 2001, 9:57:28 PM11/13/01

"Herbert Cannon" (hcan...@home.com) writes:
> Why poppies?

Because they have those little lapel pins on 'em.

Les!

Dale Greer

Nov 14, 2001, 12:14:34 AM11/14/01

"Jeremy Graham" <grah...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
LOL! Good one!

Dale Greer

Nov 14, 2001, 12:24:34 AM11/14/01

"Les Griswold" <eg...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> wrote in message

All this crap about banning pointy objects since 9/11 makes me want to puke.
Anybody with a little martial arts training could defend against a box
cutter. Besides, it wasn't the box cutters that kept passengers on the other
three planes from attacking, it was the threat of a bomb on board combined
with the incredulity that anyone would ram a plane full of people into a
building full of people just to make a point. The bastards in the first
plane told everyone to sit down and not try anything stupid. Everyone
obliged so as not to bring the plane down. If someone tried any shit like
that nowadays, even an Uzi wouldn't protect them from being torn limb from
limb.

dale

Chaplain-X

Nov 14, 2001, 12:46:28 AM11/14/01

Dale Greer <dmg...@airmail.net> wrote in message

> All this crap about banning pointy objects since 9/11 makes me want to
puke.
> Anybody with a little martial arts training could defend against a box
> cutter.

Any one with a little knife or butchering experience could chop someone the
fuck up too. I got gashed right across the forehead with a boxcutter in 96,
still have the scar today, that thing opened right up with hardly any
pressure from the guy who slashed me. Matter of fact I didn't even feel
anything until the hot blood started gushing down my face and into my eyes.

Besides, it wasn't the box cutters that kept passengers on the other
> three planes from attacking, it was the threat of a bomb on board combined
> with the incredulity that anyone would ram a plane full of people into a
> building full of people just to make a point.

Wrong, it was the lack of information combined with suprise at the
unprecidented actions the hijackers took.

The bastards in the first
> plane told everyone to sit down and not try anything stupid. Everyone
> obliged so as not to bring the plane down.

Everyone obliged because they were "uninformed".

If someone tried any shit like
> that nowadays, even an Uzi wouldn't protect them from being torn limb from
> limb.

I wish, but sadly an uzi would stop superman cold in his tracks, 9mm has
more of a punch than popular opinion gives credit for. Especially with
hollow point rounds.

Roger Taylor

Nov 14, 2001, 4:21:23 AM11/14/01
Les Griswold writes
Friend of mine just returned from the States after a hunting trip.
Airline staff busily confiscated nail files and sewing scissors etc 'for
the greater good' then they issued serrated edged plastic knives and
metal forks with the meals.

Nice to know the powers-that-be are really thinking these things through
in depth.

Cheers

Roger Taylor
www.hawklan.demon.co.uk/ki.htm
http://www.2asisters.org/english/

Nauseating Hypocrite Warning - Please add to any of Tony Blair's
statements about terrorism, 'except the IRA'

Kirk Lawson

Nov 14, 2001, 8:52:40 AM11/14/01
Dale Greer wrote:
> If someone tried any shit like
> that nowadays, even an Uzi wouldn't protect them from being torn limb from
> limb.

Darn toot'n!

Kirk Lawson

Nov 14, 2001, 9:08:03 AM11/14/01
Chaplain-X wrote:

> I wish, but sadly an uzi would stop superman cold in his tracks, 9mm has
> more of a punch than popular opinion gives credit for. Especially with
> hollow point rounds.

Doesn't matter. In such a confined space with so many people the first
one or two people would get shot (multiple times) but it's not likely
going to be something that will litterall *drop* them instantly (barring
an unlikely CNS hit), then they'd be on top of him and the dieing guy
could *still* corral the gun long enough for the others to beat the
gunman to death. Yes, it's true that few people would volunteer to be
the one getting shot but as has been proved already, sometime people
will make that sacrifice, particularly if they think that by thier
sacrifice, thousands may be saved. Besides, most gunshot victims
*live*.

Badger Jones

Nov 14, 2001, 10:46:54 AM11/14/01
On Tue, 13 Nov 2001 15:59:23 -0500, Kirk Lawson
<NO_lklaw...@heapy.com> wrote:

>Pierre Honeyman wrote:
>
>> In Canada the custom is to buy poppies from veterans in remembrance of
>> those lost in war. The poppies are plastic jobbies with, apparently
>> lethal, pins to attach them to your clothing.
>
>Soooo.... My wife's Cameo Broach is now a leathal weapon? Cool!

Promise to pay me the big bucks and I'll invite you to the seminar.

Chaplain-X

Nov 14, 2001, 3:27:41 PM11/14/01

Kirk Lawson <NO_lklaw...@heapy.com> wrote in message

> Chaplain-X wrote:
>
> > I wish, but sadly an uzi would stop superman cold in his tracks, 9mm has
> > more of a punch than popular opinion gives credit for. Especially with
> > hollow point rounds.
>
> Doesn't matter. In such a confined space with so many people the first
> one or two people would get shot (multiple times) but it's not likely
> going to be something that will litterall *drop* them instantly (barring
> an unlikely CNS hit), then they'd be on top of him and the dieing guy
> could *still* corral the gun long enough for the others to beat the
> gunman to death. Yes, it's true that few people would volunteer to be
> the one getting shot but as has been proved already, sometime people
> will make that sacrifice, particularly if they think that by thier
> sacrifice, thousands may be saved. Besides, most gunshot victims
> *live*.

Thats pretty hopeful thinking and I share the anti-terrorism sentiment, but
no one is gonna rush through a hail of 9mm I don't care how many there are,
the confined area favors the gunman. Besides with an uzi we are talking 50+
rounds per clip and I'm assuming select fire capability, be realistic.

Kirk Lawson

Nov 14, 2001, 4:27:24 PM11/14/01
Chaplain-X wrote:

> Thats pretty hopeful thinking and I share the anti-terrorism sentiment, but
> no one is gonna rush through a hail of 9mm I don't care how many there are,

They are more likely to when they believe they are going to die anyway.

> the confined area favors the gunman.

Close proximity favors the rushers.

> Besides with an uzi we are talking 50+
> rounds per clip and I'm assuming select fire capability, be realistic.

So?

Chaplain-X

Nov 14, 2001, 7:56:49 PM11/14/01

> Chaplain-X wrote:
>
> > Thats pretty hopeful thinking and I share the anti-terrorism sentiment,
but
> > no one is gonna rush through a hail of 9mm I don't care how many there
are,

> They are more likely to when they believe they are going to die anyway.

Perhaps.

> > the confined area favors the gunman.
>
> Close proximity favors the rushers.

Untrue, the layout of a plane for example forces the rushers to be funneled
through small areas that can be used as killzones.

> > Besides with an uzi we are talking 50+
> > rounds per clip and I'm assuming select fire capability, be realistic.
>
> So?

So he is not going to need to reload anytime soon. Have you ever been shot?
I haven't, but I did shoot someone once and they weren't capable of rushing
anything after that, and it wasn't even a fatal wound. If I doubletapped
your chest and one to your head you wouldn't be rushing forward very far.
The differences in our opinion probably lies with the relative proximity
that each of us are envisioning in our minds. I am speaking from the
perspective of someone closing 20 or more feet which would be similar to
what would have had to be done on flight 93 after the passengers had been
herded towards the back of the plane.

Bill C.

Nov 14, 2001, 9:38:15 PM11/14/01

"Badger Jones" <young_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> In Canada, one traditional observance of Remembrance Day (Veterans'
> Day for our US brethren), is the wearing of a pin in the shape of a
> poppy, as a commemoration of the John McCrae poem 'In Flanders
> Fields.' It consists of the red flower (symbolizing blood shed), a
> green center (freedom) and a bent pin (symbolizing the wounded IIRC).

While the poppy became a popular symbol of WWI vets, based on McCrae's poem,
the tradition of wearing the poppy is actually attributed to an American
women Moina Michael, and was picked up by a French woman Madame Guerin after
a visit to USA. It was in turn picked up by Canadians several years later.
The tradition did not become popular and catch on in the States, but has
remained strong in Canada since 1921.

I heard this on the radio the other day, and found this link later on with
the details. http://www.canoe.ca/RemembranceDay/poppy.html. Funny how things
work out, eh.

God bless all of our veterans. We should all be grateful for their sacrifice
and the freedom we enjoy as a result.

--Bill C.

Cory Pchajek

Nov 15, 2001, 12:29:41 AM11/15/01
Next time you listen to Waltzing Matilda pay special attention to the
lyrics. Its quite moving.
CoryP

"Bill C." <wcu...@nospam.home.com> wrote in message

Kirk Lawson

Nov 15, 2001, 10:11:20 AM11/15/01
Chaplain-X wrote:

> > They are more likely to when they believe they are going to die anyway.
>
> Perhaps.

It already happened. And the threat was a bomb, not a guy, which (were
it true) would have guaranteed *everyone* dead, not just the person
being pointed at.

> > > the confined area favors the gunman.
> >
> > Close proximity favors the rushers.
>
> Untrue, the layout of a plane for example forces the rushers to be funneled
> through small areas that can be used as killzones.

[snip]

> I am speaking from the
> perspective of someone closing 20 or more feet

Ah. I see. Good point, but still if they believe they're going to die
anyway...

> which would be similar to
> what would have had to be done on flight 93 after the passengers had been
> herded towards the back of the plane.

They believed the skyjackers had a *bomb* not just a gun. Death for
all, not just *maybe* being shot and *maybe* dying.

Chaplain-X

Nov 15, 2001, 11:40:20 AM11/15/01

> Chaplain-X wrote:
>
> > > They are more likely to when they believe they are going to die
anyway.

> > Perhaps.
>
> It already happened. And the threat was a bomb, not a guy, which (were
> it true) would have guaranteed *everyone* dead, not just the person
> being pointed at.

Nah, by that time they went from uninformed to informed and I'm positive the
bullshitometer went off, we are talking about Americans here...;)

> > > Close proximity favors the rushers.
> >
> > Untrue, the layout of a plane for example forces the rushers to be
funneled
> > through small areas that can be used as killzones.
>
> [snip]
>
> > I am speaking from the
> > perspective of someone closing 20 or more feet
>
> Ah. I see. Good point, but still if they believe they're going to die
> anyway...

My only point is that an uzi is going to have way more stopping power than a
shank, I'm not trying to say that people wouldn't die bravely.

> > which would be similar to
> > what would have had to be done on flight 93 after the passengers had
been
> > herded towards the back of the plane.
>
> They believed the skyjackers had a *bomb* not just a gun. Death for
> all, not just *maybe* being shot and *maybe* dying.

Well I'm not so sure they actually believed there was a bomb, remember by
the time they decided to resist some of the passengers had been informed
what had happened in NY by their relatives and thats not even the point I'm
trying to make. All I'm saying is no one is going to rush through a hail of
9mm like it was nothing, not even a group of people, especially when they
are forced to funnel thru the isles. Well, at least not from 20 feet and
further.

Kirk Lawson

Nov 15, 2001, 12:01:19 PM11/15/01
Chaplain-X wrote:

> Nah, by that time they went from uninformed to informed and I'm positive the
> bullshitometer went off, we are talking about Americans here...;)

:-)

> My only point is that an uzi is going to have way more stopping power than a
> shank, I'm not trying to say that people wouldn't die bravely.

OK.

> Well I'm not so sure they actually believed there was a bomb, remember by
> the time they decided to resist some of the passengers had been informed
> what had happened in NY by their relatives and thats not even the point I'm
> trying to make. All I'm saying is no one is going to rush through a hail of
> 9mm like it was nothing, not even a group of people, especially when they
> are forced to funnel thru the isles. Well, at least not from 20 feet and
> further.

OK.

Paul Tanenbaum

Nov 16, 2001, 5:03:47 AM11/16/01

> All this crap about banning pointy objects since 9/11 makes me
> want to puke.
> Anybody with a little martial arts training could defend against
> a box cutter.

Uh huh.

Let me take a wild guess: You've never faced anyone holding a box
cutter with angry intent, have you?

> Besides, it wasn't the box cutters that kept passengers on the other
> three planes from attacking, it was the threat of a bomb on board
> combined with the incredulity that anyone would ram a plane full
> of people into a building full of people just to make a point.

Partly.

It was also the fact that they were unarmed, facing men with long razor
blades, and no one wants to be a dead hero.

---
Paul T.

Kirk Lawson

Nov 16, 2001, 8:12:32 AM11/16/01
Paul Tanenbaum wrote:

> > Besides, it wasn't the box cutters that kept passengers on the other
> > three planes from attacking, it was the threat of a bomb on board
> > combined with the incredulity that anyone would ram a plane full
> > of people into a building full of people just to make a point.
>
> Partly.
>
> It was also the fact that they were unarmed, facing men with long razor
> blades, and no one wants to be a dead hero.

Most people would *much* rather be a *live* hero, but being a dead hero
sure beats just being dead. At least then you (theoretically) saved
some lives, right?

Matthew Weigel

Nov 16, 2001, 12:39:50 PM11/16/01
Paul Tanenbaum <ptane...@consultant.com> wrote:

>Partly.
>
>It was also the fact that they were unarmed, facing men with long razor
>blades, and no one wants to be a dead hero.

Didn't seem to be too big a factor when they *knew* what was going to
happen.

God bless 'em.
--
Matthew Weigel
Research Systems Programmer

Pierre Honeyman

Nov 16, 2001, 1:25:39 PM11/16/01
"Chaplain-X" <CHAPLAINEX...@prodigy.net> wrote in message news:<UdSI7.23810$nX6.326...@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com>...

> All I'm saying is no one is going to rush through a hail of
> 9mm like it was nothing, not even a group of people, especially when they
> are forced to funnel thru the isles. Well, at least not from 20 feet and
> further.

No, people aren't going to be able to rush through automatic weapons
fire.

Fortunately, as soon as one BG stands up to say this is a Hijacking,
he'll probably be jumped and boot fucked before he finishes the
"...ing" part. Won't have to rush from 20 ft, gramma next to him will
start the rush :)

Pierre

Bill C.

Nov 24, 2001, 7:15:05 PM11/24/01

"Paul Tanenbaum" <ptane...@consultant.com> wrote in message
> If we compare the 4 flights, only Flight 93 rebelled. And they were the
> only ones who knew what the deal was. I think it's mythmaking to imply
> that they were superheroes,

Superheroes are for comic books and the like.
These folks were real life heroes who acted in what for them was a hopeless
situation.
The could have rolled up in a ball and turned to mush, and no one would have
ever known. They took action - Bravery to the Max.

> and somehow superior to the passengers
> elsewhere, and unfair to call those in the other aircraft cowards by
> comparison.

I've never heard anyone call the others cowards. Those who do, need to
reflect a little more on the circumstances, and possibly consider what they
would have done in the same situation. As you and others have clearly
stated, the others were following the rules of engagement that were believed
to be valid at the time. Things changed drastically in a very short period
of time.

> > God bless 'em.

Amen.

Bill C.

Gichoke

Nov 24, 2001, 7:43:37 PM11/24/01
>m: "Bill C."

>"Paul Tanenbaum" <ptane...@consultant.com> wrote in message
>> If we compare the 4 flights, only Flight 93 rebelled. And they were the
>> only ones who knew what the deal was. I think it's mythmaking to imply
>> that they were superheroes,
>
>Superheroes are for comic books and the like.

So if I told you a garishly dressed figure was searching the night for
criminals to choke out....
you would say I was lying?

Gi

Bill C.

Nov 24, 2001, 8:32:49 PM11/24/01

"Gichoke" <gic...@aol.com> wrote in message
> >m: "Bill C."

> So if I told you a garishly dressed figure was searching the night for
> criminals to choke out....
> you would say I was lying?

Gi,
So you've got super powers now?
Time to dig out the kryptonite :)

Bill C.

Gichoke

Nov 24, 2001, 9:03:43 PM11/24/01
> "Bill C."

>>m: "Bill C."
>
>> So if I told you a garishly dressed figure was searching the night for
>> criminals to choke out....
>> you would say I was lying?
>>

>Gi,
>So you've got super powers now?

No... but neither does "Batman".Are you saying that Batman aint a "super hero"?
Cause that would be friggin BLASPHEMY.
He was in the SUPERFRIENDS!
He HAS to be a superhero.

Gi

Matthew Weigel

Nov 25, 2001, 1:37:01 AM11/25/01
Paul Tanenbaum <ptane...@consultant.com> wrote:

>Well sure, but that makes all the difference. When people *didn't*
>know, they played it 'safe'; i.e. follow orders, the plane will
>eventually land, there will be some negotiations, a SWAT team will storm
>the plane after dark...

Yes.

Reminds me of the Wesley Snipes movie - I forget the name, Passenger 57?
- where Snipes admonishes the stewardess for playing hero. In a bank/jewelry
robbery, where money is almost definitely the only objective (and that
protected by insurance), 'playing it safe' is smart.

I think it was a failure of American 'thought' on the subject to equate
the two, when life insurance doesn't replace the loss in quite the same
way as theft insurance, and lives are the only thing of value on a
plane.

>If we compare the 4 flights, only Flight 93 rebelled. And they were the
>only ones who knew what the deal was. I think it's mythmaking to imply

>that they were superheroes, and somehow superior to the passengers

>elsewhere, and unfair to call those in the other aircraft cowards by
>comparison.

I in no way intended to imply such; my point was that, as you say, they
knew what the deal was- I am inclined to think that we would have seen
every single terrorist have problems if their intent was clear from the
beginning.

>> God bless 'em.
>
>Unless you're agnostic, in which case you can't be sure...

Hmmm... nope, 10' pole isn't long enough.

Bill C.

Nov 25, 2001, 4:03:04 PM11/25/01

> >Gi,
> >So you've got super powers now?
>
> No... but neither does "Batman".Are you saying that Batman aint a "super
hero"?
> Cause that would be friggin BLASPHEMY.
> He was in the SUPERFRIENDS!
> He HAS to be a superhero.

I think Batman must of bought his way in. No way Superman could pay for
anything on that reporter's salary.
Do you have a Gi-mobile, utility belt and are you super-rich?

Superfriends vs X-Men. Who would win ?

Bill C.

Gichoke

Nov 25, 2001, 9:09:06 PM11/25/01
>"Bill C."

>> No... but neither does "Batman".Are you saying that Batman aint a "super
>hero"?
>> Cause that would be friggin BLASPHEMY.
>> He was in the SUPERFRIENDS!
>> He HAS to be a superhero.
>
>I think Batman must of bought his way in.

Actually Bruce Wayne did indeed fund the Justice League for a time... but the
goverments of the world eventually took over.

>No way Superman could pay for
>anything on that reporter's salary.

Clark Kent makes a pretty penny... one of the top guys at one of the worlds top
dailys... well into the 6 figures if you ask me.
All those exclusive interveiws with a space alien does wonders for your rep.

>Do you have a Gi-mobile,

Yeah.. a Toyota Carolla with "full contact fighter" and "wanna fight?" Bumper
stickers.
It doesn't have any ray guns, it ain't amphibious, and it definatly won't get
me the hotties.
But it has a radio.. AM *and* FM!
Plus it even has three hupcaps.

>, utility belt

Damn straight... only unlike Batman... I won my belt in the ring.

>and are you super-rich?

Relative to who?
Relative to Bill Gates?
No.
Relative to my garbage man?
Well..... still no.
But I am definatly richer compared to him than when compared to Gates.

But I got something money can't buy.
A legion of admiring fans on RMA.
(and an army of Atomic Supermen... but I digress...)

>Superfriends vs X-Men. Who would win ?

You could throw in all the X-Men ever... it wouldnt matter.
The Flash can run 186 thousand miles a second.
Superman can as well.
That kinda ends it right there.
Wolverine can heal from nasty cuts... but there is a big difference between
getting a nasty cut and being vaporised.
His adamantium skeleton will make in interesting story for supes to tell to his
vistors to the Fortress of Solitude.
Interesting.... but brief.

I can only forsee one potential problem for the Superfriends... and it ain't
Prof X psychic attacks... Supermans and the Flashs reaction time is
proportionate to their speed... so Big John sez... "Lets get it on!" And before
Xavier can even think to send out a mind bolt... he is slagged, his mind may
still exist in the ethereal sense.... as he has been known to split his
consciousness from his body , but the psychic link would be severed.... and I
havent checked the rule book.... but I think Body Death is the equivilant of a
tap out.

Nah.... the only prob that The superfriends got is if Jean Grey goes all
Phoenix on their arses.

And even if she did.... yeah, she's got more raw power than supes and Co. ....
(she once made a sun go nova cause she was on her period) she's still just a
chick....
She'd find a way to fuck it up.
Gi

Cory Pchajek

Nov 25, 2001, 9:44:07 PM11/25/01
"Gichoke" <gic...@aol.com> wrote in message

Whatever happened to Doomsday?
CoryP

Gichoke

Nov 25, 2001, 9:54:54 PM11/25/01
> "Cory Pchajek"

>Whatever happened to Doomsday?
>CoryP

Last I heard he was terrorising Darkseid on Apocalypse in
"Superman:Hunter/Prey" I think Supes jacked him up again and left him floating
in space... this was around 93-94... been outta the loop since then.

Actually I was just reading the evolution thread and thinking about Doomdays
origin on Krypton... a thousand generations of forced survival of the fittest
to create the ultimate killing machine...
intriquig concept.
You just need a species... pretty much any.
Give them 1000 offspring..... random genetic fluctuation in each new pup of
course... you could make them test tube babies and raise em in an incubator to
save time....
Then you have the 1000 grown pups have at each other til just one remains.
And so on.... for a long long time.
Now you got yourself a MMA fighter!

Course he might be a tad socially maladjusted...

Which all makes me think of "Enders Game."
Sorry... just talkin to myself...

Gi

Cory Pchajek

Nov 25, 2001, 11:28:49 PM11/25/01

"Gichoke" <gic...@aol.com> wrote in message

Can you please elaborate a little on Ender's Game?
CoryP

Gichoke

Nov 26, 2001, 12:03:24 AM11/26/01
>: "Cory Pchajek"

Great novel.Series of them.. really.
Havent read it since I was a boy... but it involved humanities forcing of
natural selection (unnatural selection?) so as to create a few genetically
superior leaders.
Good scifi... cause it is plausible.

And with the new revolutions in cloning and the human genome project this stuff
is ever more within our grasp.

But of course people are generally still neandethals that fear science..... so
that idiot clinton banned human cloning research.

For all the fantastic things science has given us, most people are still
trembling vermin hiding in the rocks that wanna leave the future to gods
will.... or put another way.... fate.

We have all we need to push the human geenpool to near godhood.But we love the
"diversity" that curses our children with weak minds and terrible genetic
diseases.
God fucks up alot.We could do alot better.

Gi

Robert Low

Nov 26, 2001, 5:55:48 AM11/26/01
Gichoke wrote:

> No... but neither does "Batman".Are you saying that Batman aint a "super hero"?

Batman is a *costumed* hero, not a superhero. Goodness
me, doesn't anybody follow the fine points of genre
distinction any more?

--
Rob http://www.mis.coventry.ac.uk/~mtx014/

Ted Bennett

Nov 26, 2001, 6:31:53 AM11/26/01

Bloody big blue boy scout,humph....
Give me Tank girl anyday, she drinks, smokes, swears and drives a huge tank!
As well as flashing her tits, taking drugs and shagging a kangaroo.
What more could you want from a superhero?
Now that's my kinda girl, can't argue with a lass that plays baseball with
a hand grenade!
Old superham wouldn't have a clue.

Ted
--
Evil is such a negative term........
I prefer differently moraled.

Badger Jones

Nov 26, 2001, 10:47:44 AM11/26/01

I figured you were the Bizarro version of Gichoke.

Free Steve Gartin!
Badger Jones
www.cyberus.ca/~badger

m0rdant

Nov 26, 2001, 4:17:31 PM11/26/01
Ender's Game had more to do with social conditioning being used to train a
person to be willing and able to wipe out an entire species....

Jean Grey's power is limited only by what she believes she can do...so
whether she could defeat the Superfriends would pretty much revolve around
Prof X's pep talk.

Garth Enis wrote a one-shot called Punisher Kills The Marvel Universe...and
he did. So, if the Punisher can take all those guys out the DC crowd should
have no problem. There is also a Punisher VS Archie one-shot out
there...two shot actually I think...one with Archie in the marvel universe
as a wise-ass punk kid, and one with Punisher in the Archieverse...

Geek talk done.

"Gichoke" <gic...@aol.com> wrote in message

Chaplain-X

Nov 26, 2001, 4:28:37 PM11/26/01

m0rdant <m0r...@sympatico.ca> wrote in message

> Ender's Game had more to do with social conditioning being used to train a
> person to be willing and able to wipe out an entire species....
>
> Jean Grey's power is limited only by what she believes she can do...so
> whether she could defeat the Superfriends would pretty much revolve around
> Prof X's pep talk.
>
> Garth Enis wrote a one-shot called Punisher Kills The Marvel
Universe...and
> he did. So, if the Punisher can take all those guys out the DC crowd
should
> have no problem. There is also a Punisher VS Archie one-shot out
> there...two shot actually I think...one with Archie in the marvel universe
> as a wise-ass punk kid, and one with Punisher in the Archieverse...
>
> Geek talk done.

Anyone happen across the Marvel Heroes yet? All the stores around here have
been sold out all month...

Gichoke

Nov 26, 2001, 4:37:56 PM11/26/01
> "m0rdant"

>Ender's Game had more to do with social conditioning being used to train a
>person to be willing and able to wipe out an entire species..

That.... and evolution.

>ean Grey's power is limited only by what she believes she can do...so
>whether she could defeat the Superfriends would pretty much revolve around
>Prof X's pep talk.

No... Jean grey is simply a psychic "phoenix" is a force that lurks within jean
grey, using her as a shell to do its bidding.

>Garth Enis wrote a one-shot called Punisher Kills The Marvel Universe...and
>he did. So, if the Punisher can take all those guys out the DC crowd should
>have no problem. T

And Korvac (come michael) beat the whole Marvel Universe... apparently it aint
that hard.

> There is also a Punisher VS Archie one-shot out
>there...two shot actually I think...one with Archie in the marvel universe
>as a wise-ass punk kid, and one with Punisher in the Archieverse...

And there is an "obnoxio vs the Xmen" it was really bad.
I prefered batman vs predator.

Gi

Bill C.

Nov 26, 2001, 6:17:56 PM11/26/01

> Yeah.. a Toyota Carolla with "full contact fighter" and "wanna fight?"
Bumper
> stickers.

Nice way to stay low key ;-)

> It doesn't have any ray guns, it ain't amphibious, and it definatly won't
get
> me the hotties.
> But it has a radio.. AM *and* FM!
> Plus it even has three hupcaps.

Hey, sounds pretty sweet to me.

> >, utility belt
>
> Damn straight... only unlike Batman... I won my belt in the ring.

Now there's something money can't buy. :-)

> >and are you super-rich?

> But I got something money can't buy.
> A legion of admiring fans on RMA.
> (and an army of Atomic Supermen... but I digress...)

Yes, I've noticed your admiring legions. It must be tough to be Gichoke.

> >Superfriends vs X-Men. Who would win ?
>
> You could throw in all the X-Men ever... it wouldnt matter.
> The Flash can run 186 thousand miles a second.

yeah, run away

> Superman can as well.
> That kinda ends it right there.

Nothin' a little bit of Kryptonite won't cure .....

<snip for brevity>

> And even if she did.... yeah, she's got more raw power than supes and Co.
> (she once made a sun go nova cause she was on her period) she's still just
> chick....
> She'd find a way to fuck it up.

Now that's super power.

Bill C.

m0rdant

Nov 26, 2001, 8:02:33 PM11/26/01
You mean the tribute to the Heroes of New York book? I saw it at my local
shop. I'm under the impression they will keep re-printing it...At least I
hope so. As a tribute, and a charity thing it is quite touching...if it
becomes a hot collector's item that will be a little sad.

"Chaplain-X" <CHAPLAINEX...@prodigy.net> wrote in message

Chaplain-X

Nov 26, 2001, 8:11:04 PM11/26/01

> You mean the tribute to the Heroes of New York book? I saw it at my local
> shop. I'm under the impression they will keep re-printing it...At least I
> hope so. As a tribute, and a charity thing it is quite touching...if it
> becomes a hot collector's item that will be a little sad.

Thats the one, last I heard it was sold out all over the country, couple
weeks ago, I saw some of the Illustrations and they were sweet.

Kallini

Nov 27, 2001, 12:21:37 PM11/27/01
On Mon, 26 Nov 2001 21:28:37 GMT, "Chaplain-X"
<CHAPLAINEX...@prodigy.net> wrote:

>Anyone happen across the Marvel Heroes yet? All the stores around here have
>been sold out all month...

Yeah, I bought it a few weeks back.

Kallini

Chaplain-X

Nov 27, 2001, 12:38:22 PM11/27/01

Kallini <ch...@kallini.com> wrote in message

I got one on hold today :)

Edward Cha

Dec 1, 2001, 1:27:55 PM12/1/01
: Garth Enis wrote a one-shot called Punisher Kills The Marvel Universe...and

: he did. So, if the Punisher can take all those guys out the DC crowd should
: have no problem. There is also a Punisher VS Archie one-shot out
: there...two shot actually I think...one with Archie in the marvel universe
: as a wise-ass punk kid, and one with Punisher in the Archieverse...

: Geek talk done.

Er... so, what happened? Who won? Jughead?

Ed

Colin West

Dec 9, 2001, 2:10:46 AM12/9/01
Edward Cha wrote:

Nah, there was a guy who looked like Archie that the punisher was chasing...so of
course Archie and the gang team up with punisher and evil gets punished...