Iwama Ryu Aikido in the U.S.?

Juan Jose Medina

Mar 16, 1995, 2:10:19 PM3/16/95
Hi!

I´m a student of Iwama Ryu Aikido,and I´m about to travel to
possibly New York in August,and I shall stay for a year.

So my question is:
Are they any schools of Iwama Ryu in the N.Y. area?

If so,please let me know.

For those of you that never heard of Iwama Ryu,it´s the Aikido that
O Sensei passed down to all his pupils in his private dojo in Iwama.
One of his pupils was Saito Sensei.Saito Sensei is now the leader of
that branch of Aikido.

Thanks for the attention.

Juan Jose Medina

Juan....@hgus.gu.se

Peter Robert Peterson

Mar 20, 1995, 10:53:24 AM3/20/95
I visited the Oakland Aikikai (Bruce Klickstein) in 1982. At that time they
were affiliated with Saito Sensei. Bruce is a student of Saito Sensei
and a godan (in 1982). Someone in Oakland, California should be able
to point you in the right direction.

--Pete
ps Saito Sensei's Aiki seems (at least to me) to have a fairly
high overlap with Daito-Ryu Aikijujutsu.

Aiki1

Mar 20, 1995, 12:01:18 PM3/20/95
Remember that Klickstein is no longer around.

James Acker

Mar 21, 1995, 8:45:37 AM3/21/95
>remember that Klickstein is no longer around.

I have been using a book by him to help me
in the basics. It's a very good book (I use that, one by
saito and of course Aikido and the Dynamic sphere) and is
written very well. Easy to understand. I am a 6th kyu (in my
school you test to go into 6th kyu).

So what is meant by "is no longer around"? Did he move
to another area ?

Jim