Chas Clements ... what happened?

yoko....@gmail.com

Mar 9, 2012, 4:41:34 AM3/9/12
Hey folks, I'm curious -- what ever happened to Chas Clements, and Steve Gartin for that matter? The last mention I can find of Chas is in Chas 2007, when Pete was inquiring about his sap that hadn't been delivered.

I've got the feeling that after Steve ripped of Chas somehow, they later reconciled. But then Chas also had some sort of nasty disease, "peripheral neuropathy" ims. ... he often sounded close to death ... and then I stopped following r.m-a. Is he dead? Gartin back in jail? 'inquiring minds want to know!'

GreenDistantStar

Mar 9, 2012, 8:34:38 AM3/9/12
On Friday, March 9, 2012 5:41:34 PM UTC+8, yoko....@gmail.com wrote:
> Hey folks, I'm curious -- what ever happened to Chas Clements, and Steve Gartin for that matter? The last mention I can find of Chas is in Chas 2007, when Pete was inquiring about his sap that hadn't been delivered.
>
> I've got the feeling that after Steve ripped of Chas somehow, they later reconciled. But then Chas also had some sort of nasty disease, "peripheral neuropathy" ims. ... he often sounded close to death ... and then I stopped following r.m-a. Is he dead? Gartin back in jail? 'inquiring minds want to know!'

From FB:
"Chas Clements fell ill a few years ago and has been in declining health since. His condition, a degenerative nerve disease that causes him constant pain and interferes with his basic motor functions, is now terminal.

If you have paid Chas for a piece of work which he was unable to produce, please contact him here; he and his family deeply regret any difficulty this has caused, and will gladly make it right.

If you are a friend of Chas', welcome. He's had a grand life through which countless colorful characters have passed. He'll be glad to see you."

- Chas' family

Pierre Honeyman

Mar 9, 2012, 12:51:32 PM3/9/12
On Mar 9, 5:34 am, GreenDistantStar <GreenDistantS...@gmail.com>
wrote:
Oh, that sucks.

I enjoyed meeting him greatly.

Pierre

yoko....@gmail.com

Mar 9, 2012, 3:20:25 PM3/9/12
Sounds like he was almost dead then, must be gone by now. Maybe a relief for him though, he sure was suffering. He sure was an amazing guy, great stories & humour; I would have liked to have met him. RIP

GreenDistantStar

Mar 9, 2012, 10:53:57 PM3/9/12
To the best of my knowledge, he's still alive; that FB status is current.

Fraser Johnston

Mar 13, 2012, 1:05:28 AM3/13/12
On 10/03/12 11:53 AM, GreenDistantStar wrote:

> To the best of my knowledge, he's still alive; that FB status is current.

That is what I gather. But by all accounts he isn't well. I do miss
him around here a lot.
--

Fraser

Gernot Hassenpflug

Mar 14, 2012, 11:11:51 PM3/14/12
Pierre Honeyman <pea...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mar 9, 5:34 .A N am, GreenDistantStar <GreenDistantS...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Friday, March 9, 2012 5:41:34 PM UTC+8, yoko....@gmail.com wrote:
> > > Hey folks, I'm curious -- what ever happened to Chas Clements, and Steve Gartin for that matter? .A N The last mention I can find of Chas is in Chas 2007, when Pete was inquiring about his sap that hadn't been delivered.
> >
> > > I've got the feeling that after Steve ripped of Chas somehow, they later reconciled. .A N But then Chas also had some sort of nasty disease, "peripheral neuropathy" ims. ... he often sounded close to death ... and then I stopped following r.m-a. .A N Is he dead? .A N Gartin back in jail? .A N 'inquiring minds want to know!'
> >
> > From FB:
> > ==============================================================================
> > "Chas Clements fell ill a few years ago and has been in declining health since. His condition, a degenerative nerve disease that causes him constant pain and interferes with his basic motor functions, is now terminal.
> >
> > If you have paid Chas for a piece of work which he was unable to produce, please contact him here; he and his family deeply regret any difficulty this has caused, and will gladly make it right.
> >
> > If you are a friend of Chas', welcome. He's had a grand life through which countless colorful characters have passed. He'll be glad to see you."
> >
> > - Chas' family
> >
> > ==============================================================================
>
> Oh, that sucks.
>
> I enjoyed meeting him greatly.

I enjoyed his stories a lot too.

Too bad I never received the 2 saps I sent money for.... I gather Chas has great workmanship.
Maybe I will make use of that FB page.

--
Gernot Hassenpflug
Aunkai

GreenDistantStar

Mar 15, 2012, 7:29:19 AM3/15/12
On Thursday, March 15, 2012 11:11:51 AM UTC+8, Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:

> Too bad I never received the 2 saps I sent money for.... I gather Chas has >great workmanship.
> Maybe I will make use of that FB page.

You should. So, how many rm-a'ers got conned? You, me, Mark Goldberg, probably several others I imagine.

What really sucks about this is he came here with his sob-story, asking his pals on rm-a to help him when he was in the shit. He took our money knowing he could not deliver, and continued to do it.

That is a shitty, shitty thing to do, ill or not - he wasn't so ill he couldn't post here and con his mates; what a leech.

Herb was kind enough to send me his extra sap, wouldn't accept a buck in return.

Thanks again, Herb.

Rabid Weasel Lawson

Mar 15, 2012, 8:28:46 AM3/15/12
On Mar 15, 7:29 am, GreenDistantStar <GreenDistantS...@gmail.com>
wrote:
I've offered several times to replace the product with western martial
arts DVDs. They're not worth as much as a hand-crafted sand-shot, but
individuals have the option of selecting several different DVDs to add
up to the value.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Rabid Weasel Lawson

Mar 15, 2012, 9:00:29 AM3/15/12
wrote:
> On Thursday, March 15, 2012 11:11:51 AM UTC+8, Gernot Hassenpflug wrote:
> > Too bad I never received the 2 saps I sent money for.... I gather Chas has >great workmanship.
> > Maybe I will make use of that FB page.
>
> You should. So, how many rm-a'ers got conned? You, me, Mark Goldberg, probably several others I imagine.
>
> What really sucks about this is he came here with his sob-story, asking his pals on rm-a to help him when he was in the shit. He took our money knowing he could not deliver, and continued to do it.
>
> That is a shitty, shitty thing to do, ill or not - he wasn't so ill he couldn't post here and con his mates; what a leech.

I don't believe there was any intent to defraud.

I've seen this happen before. A small-biz one-man-shop tries to make
a go of it, promises services, takes pre-payment or earnest money,
then "life happens" and they completely fail to meet their
obligations. Sometimes they compound the problem by taking more
orders to try to float money until they can catch up on back orders.
I know of one gent over on TheKTOG (a Kel Tec specific forum) who did
this. He was making some small after-market parts and decided to go
full-on commercial as a one-man-shop. But CNC equipment is expensive
and he took pre-orders to cover the equipment. Then he had a
catastrophic failure of some sort (flooring failed, ruining both his
building and his EQ, from what I heard). He tried to "catch up" by
taking more orders before he fulfilled the orders he already had. But
it didn't work and he ended up stiffing everyone and getting banned
from the forum. There was no intent to defraud, he just got in over
his head and then didn't have either the parts to send out to
customers OR the money to refund them. There's still a lot of bad
feelings, even years later now.

This is the case with Chas. There was no intent to defraud. He took
the orders believing that his health was improving or, at the very
least, not declining any further. He believed he would be able to
fulfill the obligations even if a bit slowly. He spent the money on
medication for his advancing neuropathy so he didn't have any
available to refund. In fact, on one occasion, he came here and
begged for "a loan" to pay for meds.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.martial-arts/browse_frm/thread/e4bd65726125f245/cf6fc8d10995e206?#cf6fc8d10995e206

I didn't have a lot of $$$ at the time but I sent him a few
greenbacks. I never saw a dime of it back and, to be completely
honest, I didn't have any expectation - I sent it as Christian
charity. Given Chas' personal "he-man" rough-and-tumble history, I
can only imagine what it must have felt like to come on to an internet
forum, hat in hand, and beg for $100 (or whatever it was). By that
time he'd been moved onto experimental therapy and was stuck selling
personal possession. And this on top of personal theft by his
previous business partner and an expensive divorce.

Again, I do not believe there was any intent to defraud. Further,
I'll again offer to make up equal value in western martial arts DVDs
to anyone who feels defrauded. I'll send you the DVDs of your choice
from my list and take from you the debt. You get product and are
considered to be made whole. Any takers, post or contact me out of
band.

Peace favor your sword (IH),
Kirk

Pierre Honeyman

Mar 15, 2012, 12:10:11 PM3/15/12
On Mar 15, 4:29 am, GreenDistantStar <GreenDistantS...@gmail.com>
wrote:
I know you're mad, Peter, and I can understand why. But when I met
Chas he was *incredibly* ill. He couldn't move much; standing was a
real effort.

I can't say why or what he did vis a vis your sap, but I can say he
definitely was not faking his illness, and that, in person, he was
very welcoming, warm, and hospitable even as sick as he was.

Pierre

gemjack

Mar 15, 2012, 12:39:05 PM3/15/12
Apparently, a friend of his is assisting in making things right:
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=201798

Don't know the guy myself but do recall seeing his posts off and on,
this doesn't appear to be a case of negligence, just a guy getting
screwed by life and falling behind.

-gj

GreenDistantStar

Mar 15, 2012, 9:28:46 PM3/15/12
I've never suggested Chas was faking his illness. He stated to me that the reason he didn't ship was issues with international postage. Bullshit. He knew full well when he accepted the order where it was going. My big issue is not my sap, it was his continuing to spruik for more orders when he absolutely knew he could not deliver. That is like trading while insolvent, which in most jurisdictions is a criminal offence.

GreenDistantStar

Mar 15, 2012, 10:06:55 PM3/15/12
You really are a good bloke, Kirk. Unfortunately, vicarious redemption does not absolve the sinner's responsibility. It's not the money, nor the unsent product (and one of the saps was a present for my son, to add to the angst) it's the principle.

Rabid Weasel Lawson

Mar 16, 2012, 8:46:10 AM3/16/12
On Mar 15, 10:06 pm, GreenDistantStar <GreenDistantS...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Thursday, March 15, 2012 8:28:46 PM UTC+8, Rabid Weasel Lawson wrote:
> > On Mar 15, 7:29 am, GreenDistantStar <GreenDistantS...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
>
> > > You should. So, how many rm-a'ers got conned? You, me, Mark Goldberg, probably several others I imagine.
>
> > > What really sucks about this is he came here with his sob-story, asking his pals on rm-a to help him when he was in the shit. He took our money knowing he could not deliver, and continued to do it.
>
> > > That is a shitty, shitty thing to do, ill or not - he wasn't so ill he couldn't post here and con his mates; what a leech.
>
> > > Herb was kind enough to send me his extra sap, wouldn't accept a buck in return.
>
> > > Thanks again, Herb.
>
> > I've offered several times to replace the product with western martial
> > arts DVDs.  They're not worth as much as a hand-crafted sand-shot, but
> > individuals have the option of selecting several different DVDs to add
> > up to the value.
>
> > Peace favor your sword,
> > Kirk
>
> You really are a good bloke, Kirk.

Well, we do what we can. ;)

> Unfortunately, vicarious redemption does not absolve the sinner's responsibility. It's not the money, nor the unsent product (and one of the saps was a present for my son, to add to the angst) it's the principle.

I completely understand why you are dissatisfied. And, from that
perspective, it will never, and can never, be made right. That's
gone. I know that what I'm offering is a second-best alternative to
make it right for you, but it's what I got.

GreenDistantStar

Mar 16, 2012, 10:26:01 AM3/16/12
Well here's a better way. I'd like to have some of these DVDs, so how about you tell me how much you want (don't say nothing, that's not an option :)) and we can do business. That's a very good alternative from my perspective, and I hope it is from yours.

Rabid Weasel Lawson

Mar 16, 2012, 11:42:06 AM3/16/12
On Mar 16, 10:26 am, GreenDistantStar <GreenDistantS...@gmail.com>
Memory has it that I was offering them for ~$20/21 U.S. @.

I'll dig up the list and post it.

The Viking

Mar 16, 2012, 5:23:23 PM3/16/12
On Mar 15, 6:29 am, GreenDistantStar <GreenDistantS...@gmail.com>
wrote:
It was nothing Peter. I was glad to do it.
I think Chas continued to take orders because he did not want to
admit he had a terminal illness and was in denial of that fact. He was
hanging on to hope. He should have let go before then; but simply
could not.
I sent him some money several times to help him. That was mainly
cause he and I walked some trails together; and I could easily afford
it at the time. I still have some saps he made for me before he fell
ill.
Last e mail I had from him was Xmas before last when I sent him some
money and he sent me an e mail thanking me . I really felt sorry for
him.
Last I heard of him, he was in a hospice.
I will say this - from reading his posts on RMA, I learned a lot about
Islam and went on a reading program that caused me to read a huge
amount about it, those countries, and their cultures. I came to
understand why he did not have much use for it.

The Viking

Mar 16, 2012, 5:25:50 PM3/16/12
If you would like, I will count the saps I have from Chas and see if I
can rustle up one you give your son. Let me know.
I would not like to see a young man get disappointed.

GreenDistantStar

Mar 16, 2012, 9:34:46 PM3/16/12
Well here's a plan. The one for my son was the Key-pal, the little one.

If you have one of those, I'll take that and pay you its cost to you plus any postage. If you want, send the proceeds to Chas.

Chas has done much good for many, so in a broader view, he deserves my compassion and forgiveness, which I now extend.

Thanks as ever, Herb, drop me a line at the usual address.

Pete

The Viking

Mar 18, 2012, 6:28:40 PM3/18/12
On Mar 16, 8:34 pm, GreenDistantStar <GreenDistantS...@gmail.com>
That one I do not have. If I did you would be welcome to it.
One of mine was stolen from my truck about 4 weeks ago when we had
about 15 car break ins in the neighborhood.
Since then we are a crime control district and pay extra taxes to the
sheriff. Heavy patrols now.
Kind of you to extend your compassion to Charles. You are correct
though he should have quit soliciting orders way before he did.

Gernot Hassenpflug

Mar 18, 2012, 11:43:21 PM3/18/12
The Viking <hcan...@cox.net> writes:

> On Mar 16, 8:34 .A N pm, GreenDistantStar <GreenDistantS...@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> > > If you would like, I will count the saps I have from Chas and see if I
> > > can rustle up one you give your son. Let me know.
> > > I would not like to see a young man get disappointed.
> >
> > Well here's a plan. The one for my son was the Key-pal, the little one.
> >
> > If you have one of those, I'll take that and pay you its cost to you plus any postage. If you want, send the proceeds to Chas.
> >
> > Chas has done much good for many, so in a broader view, he deserves my compassion and forgiveness, which I now extend.
> >
> > Thanks as ever, Herb, drop me a line at the usual address.
> >
> > Pete
>
> That one I do not have. If I did you would be welcome to it.
> One of mine was stolen from my truck about 4 weeks ago when we had
> about 15 car break ins in the neighborhood.
> Since then we are a crime control district and pay extra taxes to the
> sheriff. Heavy patrols now.
> Kind of you to extend your compassion to Charles. You are correct
> though he should have quit soliciting orders way before he did.

Hi Viking,
If you have any you are willing to pass on, I too will, like Pete, be happy to pay cost plus postage to get one.
I also ordered the Key-Pal (two of them), would have to dig up my Paypal records for that, but IIRC it was something like 25 USD apiece.

I'm also resigned to the fact that once someone's health has gone so
far, there is no point in trying to claim back pitiful amounts of cash
(I've seen others who lost amounts that were most certainly not easy
to ignore), but I value quality and as I understand it, Chas's work
was top-notch, so if there is a chance to obtain one at this late
stage, even if it inot the model I originally had in mind, I would be
very grateful.

Best regards from Tokyo,
--
Gernot Hassenpflug
Aunkai

Mark-T

Mar 19, 2012, 3:32:22 PM3/19/12
On Mar 9, GreenDistantStar <GreenDistantS...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hey folks, I'm curious -- what ever happened to Chas Clements, and Steve Gartin for that matter?  The last mention I can find of Chas is in Chas 2007, when Pete was inquiring about his sap that hadn't been delivered.
>
> >I've got the feeling that after Steve ripped of Chas somehow,
> >they later reconciled.  But then Chas also had some sort of
> >nasty disease, "peripheral neuropathy" ims. ... he often sounded
> >close to death ... and then I stopped following r.m-a.  Is he dead?
> >Gartin back in jail?  'inquiring minds want to know!'
>
> From FB:
> ============================­===
> "Chas Clements fell ill a few years ago and has been in declining
> health since. His condition, a degenerative nerve disease that causes
> him constant pain and interferes with his basic motor functions, is now terminal.
>
> If you have paid Chas for a piece of work which he was unable to
> produce, please contact him here; he and his family deeply regret
> any difficulty this has caused, and will gladly make it right.
>
> - Chas' family
=================================================================­===

Who is FB, where was this published?

Mark

Gernot Hassenpflug

Mar 19, 2012, 7:13:15 PM3/19/12

Gernot> The Viking <hcan...@cox.net> writes:
>> On Mar 16, 8:34�pm, GreenDistantStar <GreenDistantS...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> <GreenDistantS...@gmail.com>

>> <GreenDistantS...@gmail.com>
>> for.... I gather Chas has >great workmanship. > > > > > > >
>> Maybe I will make use of that FB page.

>> me, Mark Goldberg, probably several others I imagine.

>> sob-story, asking his pals on rm-a to help him when he was in the
>> shit. He took our money knowing he could not deliver, and
>> continued to do it.

>> wasn't so ill he couldn't post here and con his mates; what a
>> leech.

>> wouldn't accept a buck in return.

>> western martial > > > > > arts DVDs. �They're not worth as much
>> as a hand-crafted sand-shot, but > > > > > individuals have the
>> option of selecting several different DVDs to add > > > > > up to
>> the value.

>> sinner's responsibility. It's not the money, nor the unsent
>> product (and one of the saps was a present for my son, to add to
>> the angst) it's the principle.

>> from that > > > perspective, it will never, and can never, be
>> made right. �That's > > > gone. �I know that what I'm offering is
>> a second-best alternative to > > > make it right for you, but
>> it's what I got.

>> see if I > > can rustle up one you give your son. Let me know. >
>> > I would not like to see a young man get disappointed.
>> >
>> > Well here's a plan. The one for my son was the Key-pal, the
>> little one.
>> >
>> > If you have one of those, I'll take that and pay you its cost
>> to you plus any postage. If you want, send the proceeds to Chas.
>> >
>> > Chas has done much good for many, so in a broader view, he
>> deserves my compassion and forgiveness, which I now extend.
>> >
>> > Thanks as ever, Herb, drop me a line at the usual address.
>> >
>> > Pete
>>
>> That one I do not have. If I did you would be welcome to it. One
>> of mine was stolen from my truck about 4 weeks ago when we had
>> about 15 car break ins in the neighborhood. Since then we are a
>> crime control district and pay extra taxes to the sheriff. Heavy
>> patrols now. Kind of you to extend your compassion to
>> Charles. You are correct though he should have quit soliciting
>> orders way before he did.

Gernot> Hi Viking, If you have any you are willing to pass on, I too
Gernot> will, like Pete, be happy to pay cost plus postage to get
Gernot> one. I also ordered the Key-Pal (two of them), would have
Gernot> to dig up my Paypal records for that, but IIRC it was
Gernot> something like 25 USD apiece.

Gernot> I'm also resigned to the fact that once someone's health has
Gernot> gone so far, there is no point in trying to claim back
Gernot> pitiful amounts of cash (I've seen others who lost amounts
Gernot> that were most certainly not easy to ignore), but I value
Gernot> quality and as I understand it, Chas's work was top-notch,
Gernot> so if there is a chance to obtain one at this late stage,
Gernot> even if it inot the model I originally had in mind, I would
Gernot> be very grateful.

Gernot> Best regards from Tokyo, -- Gernot Hassenpflug Aunkai

I've gone and posted to Chas's page on FB as suggested. After checking
my Paypal records, it turns out I ordered 2 USSS model saps, at 50 USD
each, plus 20 USD postage, for a total of 120 USD back in 2007.
I really wish it would be possible to get even one sap, let's see what
happens...

Regards,
--
Gernot Hassenpflug
Pentium DualCore E2180 2GHz, Asus P5, 4GiB RAM

Gernot Hassenpflug

Mar 19, 2012, 7:13:51 PM3/19/12
Mark-T> =================================================================­===

Mark-T> Who is FB, where was this published?

Facebook. Do a search for Chas Clements.

Tsukino Usagi

Apr 3, 2012, 1:42:17 AM4/3/12
On 3/9/2012 6:41 PM, yoko....@gmail.com wrote:
> Hey folks, I'm curious -- what ever happened to Chas Clements, and Steve Gartin for that matter? The last mention I can find of Chas is in Chas 2007, when Pete was inquiring about his sap that hadn't been delivered.
>
> I've got the feeling that after Steve ripped of Chas somehow, they later reconciled. But then Chas also had some sort of nasty disease, "peripheral neuropathy" ims. ... he often sounded close to death ... and then I stopped following r.m-a. Is he dead? Gartin back in jail? 'inquiring minds want to know!'

A few people died, a lot of people went away, and the newsgroup died. I
was trying to talk about this years ago and bring back quality posting
but it was too late.

I just took a look at the last 500 posts and I didn't see 80% of the
people I expected to, and 80% of the posters I did see were trolls I
didn't recognize.

Game over I guess. I'm gonna go play some starcraft 2.

Gernot Hassenpflug

Apr 3, 2012, 5:00:32 AM4/3/12
Yup, it is mostly dead...
--
Gernot Hassenpflug
Aunkai

Rabid Weasel Lawson

Apr 3, 2012, 8:40:43 AM4/3/12
On Apr 3, 1:42 am, Tsukino Usagi <us...@tsukino.ca> wrote:

> I just took a look at the last 500 posts and I didn't see 80% of the
> people I expected to, and 80% of the posters I did see were trolls I
> didn't recognize.

Good heavens, that's pretty much what it always was anyway. There'd
be 500 post threads arguing with a troll, often a troll named "hal"
but sometimes a troll named "Fu Ren Li" or some such, and every once
in a while a little actual content.

For a year or two I upped the signal to noise ratio with my WOTT posts
(Weekly On Topic Thread) but I stopped.

This group is no more "dead" than it was before, it just seems to have
less traffic which should be no real surprise given how many web based
forums there are and the rise of micro-blogging social media such as
Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.

MustDoCanDoHaveTo !

Apr 8, 2012, 10:56:48 AM4/8/12
clements fucked up

HIM CUNT

commercially

but who does not
we take some
we give some
\we do what we can
if you profit or lose?
who give a fuck

you must respect the person

forgiveness of the departed and he has

is not good to speak of them bad

also

i cannot believe your grudges

and get fucked

Chas got some cash

so fucking what

he needed it

not like you city dwellers with $ to spare

SHIT !!

I cannot believe you antagonism against a fine gentleman

:(((((((((((((

sa...@greenmanleather.ca

Nov 9, 2013, 7:40:26 AM11/9/13
Hello everyone for anyone interested, I bought Chas' patterns when he became ill a couple years ago and have been making them ever since. www.greenmanleather.ca.
i'm very proud to carry on his legacy as well have a lot of other weapons we make.
ask for Steve

Mighty Wannabe

Nov 9, 2013, 7:54:51 PM11/9/13
I don't know if Chas is alive or not. That is what can happen in the US
when you get sick and you don't have medical insurance. You spend your
life's savings on medical bills and then you die broke.

Stick Grappler

Nov 9, 2013, 9:23:57 PM11/9/13
Just wanted to say Kirk you are indeed 'a good bloke'

That is mighty generous of you and compassionate

Rabid Weasel Lawson

Nov 13, 2013, 8:42:47 AM11/13/13
On Saturday, November 9, 2013 9:23:57 PM UTC-5, Stick Grappler wrote:
> Just wanted to say Kirk you are indeed 'a good bloke'
>

> That is mighty generous of you and compassionate

We all do what we can. :)

dylan....@gmail.com

Jul 11, 2014, 2:40:02 PM7/11/14
further questions on Chas' state, ask me here

Rabid Weasel Lawson

Jul 15, 2014, 4:54:42 PM7/15/14
OK, well, what's the update?

I thought I'd see something on FB but I haven't yet.

djinn

Sep 5, 2014, 1:45:31 AM9/5/14
So how's Chas?

johnm...@gmail.com

Sep 7, 2014, 9:32:05 PM9/7/14
Sorry to hear he's not doing well. I met him once about 8 years ago
or so. He is (was?) really a cordial guy in person. But even back
then he had lost considerable weight from the pictures I had seen of
him online.

gj

Sep 8, 2014, 2:08:41 PM9/8/14

behavem...@gmail.com

Aug 19, 2020, 11:34:02 AM8/19/20
Hi, Chas passed away last year in 2019. He and Steve made amends apparently. He was a good friend to me for many years.
Peace.
Mary-Jane

Rabid Weasel Lawson

Sep 18, 2020, 1:00:22 PM9/18/20
He was a friend to pretty much anyone who was a friend to him and not a jack-hole.

Peace favor your sword (IH)

Mighty Wannabe

Sep 18, 2020, 2:05:32 PM9/18/20
Chas was the life of this newsgroup. R.I.P.

Gernot Hassenpflug

Oct 11, 2020, 11:54:55 PM10/11/20
Sorry to hear that. The new groups changed so much since the good old
days of to and fro sparring and good natured jokes here.
I remember sending Chas 100 USD since he was in monetary trouble, in
exchange for a simple knife, as he was so famous for his workmanship as
I recall. Never got it though, again par for the course it turns out.
The money is no big deal, but I would really have appreciated even a little
something to remember him by, too many friends have passed in the last
few years.
--
NNTP on Emacs 25.2 from Windows 7