No Chickenhawks here

David L. Burkhead

Aug 29, 2008, 12:54:06 PM8/29/08
McCain, in addition to his own service has a child in the Navy and one in
the Marines.
Palin has a child in the army.

I take it the whining about "chickenhawks" can end now?

David L. Burkhead -- Cold Servings, a webcomic
mailto:dbur...@sff.net -- http://www.coldservings.com
http://www.cafepress.com/coldservings <- OSHA for criminals

"Dum Vivimus Vivamus"
While we live, let us live."

h...@nospam.org

Aug 29, 2008, 1:13:40 PM8/29/08
On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 12:54:06 -0400, "David L. Burkhead"
<dbur...@sff.net> wrote:

>McCain, in addition to his own service has a child in the Navy and one in
>the Marines.
>Palin has a child in the army.
>
>I take it the whining about "chickenhawks" can end now?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Palin

BWAAAAA AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAAAA !!!!!!!

oh shit, I mean they couldn't have screwed up better if they tried.

Just think, geezer McCain on the edge of death. Dies a couple of
months into office over the strain of actually doing something besides
crashing jets. And guess who becomes Commander in Chief of the
world's only superpower: A hockey mom who's full experience consists
of less than two years governor of one of the least populated states
in the nation, and prior to that mayor of the town in Northern
Exposure.

BWAWWWAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!

and now I suppose the Republicans want to steal another election for
those two.

and let me see, who's next in line after Hockey Mom goes off the deep
end? Isn't it Speaker of the House? Nancy Pelosi?

this is like some surreal dream. There's no place like home...
there's no place like home... there's no place like home....

Hal

David L. Burkhead

Aug 29, 2008, 1:28:26 PM8/29/08
Notice how you _completely_ sidestep the actual subject of the thread.

And yet, she _still_ has more experience than Obama.

So, aside from her being a woman, why do you hate her?

David L. Burkhead -- Cold Servings, a webcomic
mailto:dbur...@sff.net -- http://www.coldservings.com
http://www.cafepress.com/coldservings <- OSHA for criminals

"Early in life I had noticed that no event is ever correctly
reported in a newspaper"
George Orwell

<h...@nospam.org> wrote in message

Stanley Moore

Aug 29, 2008, 1:27:05 PM8/29/08

"David L. Burkhead" <dbur...@sff.net> wrote in message

> Notice how you _completely_ sidestep the actual subject of the thread.
>
> And yet, she _still_ has more experience than Obama.
>
> So, aside from her being a woman, why do you hate her?
>
> --
> --
Must be because she's a Republican <G>. Take care
--
Stanley L. Moore
"The belief in a supernatural

h...@nospam.org

Aug 29, 2008, 3:55:47 PM8/29/08
On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 13:28:26 -0400, "David L. Burkhead"
<dbur...@sff.net> wrote:

>Notice how you _completely_ sidestep the actual subject of the thread.
>
>And yet, she _still_ has more experience than Obama.
>
>So, aside from her being a woman, why do you hate her?

I don't hate her, but...

She supports drilling the ANWR
She supports the war in Iraq
She supported teaching Creationism as science in Alaska public schools
She is anti-choice
She is against gay marriage
She has no foreign policy experience and almost no executive
experience
She is under investigation for abuse of office
She has a daughter named Willow.

shuu...@gmail.com

Aug 29, 2008, 4:10:38 PM8/29/08

> I don't hate her, but...
>
> She supports drilling the ANWR

Good. There is lots of oil in the ANWR that we can extract with
minimal environmental impact.

> She supports the war in Iraq

So does Joe Biden.

> She supported teaching Creationism as science in Alaska public schools

I'll grant you that one.

> She is anti-choice

Pro-life you mean.

> She is against gay marriage

I can see how you'd have a problem with that one.

> She has no foreign policy experience and almost no executive
> experience

As opposed to Obama?

> She is under investigation for abuse of office

For supposedly getting her ex-brother-in-law fired from the police
force. It seems obvious that her husband and various other associates
were involved, but there is no direct evidence against her.

> She has a daughter named Willow.

So what? Willow is a cool name.

Pierre Honeyman

Aug 29, 2008, 4:36:30 PM8/29/08
On Aug 29, 12:55 pm, h...@nospam.org wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 13:28:26 -0400, "David L. Burkhead"
>
> <dburkh...@sff.net> wrote:
> >Notice how you _completely_ sidestep the actual subject of the thread.
>
> >And yet, she _still_ has more experience than Obama.
>
> >So, aside from her being a woman, why do you hate her?
>
> I don't hate her, but...
>
> She supports drilling the ANWR

Just to poke a hole in this objection, although the rest are assuredly
just as worthless, here is a link that will educate you:
http://reasonbellpundit.blogspot.com/2008/06/pictures-of-anwr-to-make-case-for.html

I'm sure you have no idea what "drilling the ANWR" means.

Pierre

David L. Burkhead

Aug 29, 2008, 4:55:19 PM8/29/08

Okay,

So aside from her being a woman, why do you hate her?

(Sound familiar? I'm mimicking you back when Hillary was in the running and
you kept getting answers as to why people did not want to see her as POTUS
and you kept coming back with the "aside from her being a woman....")

And she _still_ has more experience than Obama.

David L. Burkhead -- Cold Servings, a webcomic
mailto:dbur...@sff.net -- http://www.coldservings.com
http://www.cafepress.com/coldservings <- OSHA for criminals

"Dum Vivimus Vivamus"

While we live, let us live."

<h...@nospam.org> wrote in message

h...@nospam.org

Aug 29, 2008, 5:08:31 PM8/29/08
On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 16:55:19 -0400, "David L. Burkhead"
<dbur...@sff.net> wrote:

>Okay,
>
>So aside from her being a woman, why do you hate her?
>
>(Sound familiar? I'm mimicking you back when Hillary was in the running and
>you kept getting answers as to why people did not want to see her as POTUS
>and you kept coming back with the "aside from her being a woman....")
>
>And she _still_ has more experience than Obama.

but Obama has a brain.

Stanley Moore

Aug 29, 2008, 5:21:12 PM8/29/08

<h...@nospam.org> wrote in message

Like all us men he has two, actually <G>. Each has it use in the thinking
process. Take care

David L. Burkhead

Aug 29, 2008, 5:26:36 PM8/29/08
<h...@nospam.org> wrote in message

At least as much as a the average parrot. Evidence of much more than that
is decidedly lacking.

Repeating "hope, change" over and over again is _not_ a sign of
intelligence.

Nor is "57 states." Nor is "I'll be working with them for 8-10 years." Nor
is talking "hope, change" and then picking the quintessential example of
"business as usual in Washington" as his running mate.

Frankly, he's a post turtle.

David L. Burkhead -- Cold Servings, a webcomic
mailto:dbur...@sff.net -- http://www.coldservings.com
http://www.cafepress.com/coldservings <- OSHA for criminals

"So bury fear, for fate draws near
"And hide the signs of pain
"With noble acts, the bravest souls
"Endure the heart's remains"
The Cruxshadows, Winterborn

trav...@aol.com

Aug 29, 2008, 6:16:08 PM8/29/08
On Aug 29, 1:13 pm, h...@nospam.org wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 12:54:06 -0400, "David L. Burkhead"

What's Obama got under his belt other than bein on the take in
Illinois and a couple years in the Senate?

His VP is one of the biggest crooks from a state that runs a corporate
tax evasion and legal shelter legal scheme.

Trav

Mark Goldberg

Aug 29, 2008, 6:54:58 PM8/29/08
David L. Burkhead wrote:
> Notice how you _completely_ sidestep the actual subject of the thread.
>
> And yet, she _still_ has more experience than Obama.
>
> So, aside from her being a woman, why do you hate her?

Because... he hates.

His marxist and nazi suit isn't just for appearances.

I'm not much for these 'appearances' apropo the 'conventions' but I
must say, after a week of the last one, the irony does make even
myself... smile.

Who gets the women on the ballot?
The Repubs....and she's a hard assed runner, married to a blue collar
guy, a child with down's syndrome, a real reformer who fought the boy's
club and got elected without the old boys' club repubs to back her

And 'mistuh change' who's a chicago hack ward fixer, who picks a
retiring appeasing dinosaur, he gets shown up by this 'women' who thanks
such as hillay and Ferraro.... and A lifetime member of the NRA, she
enjoys hunting, fishing ..." A woman with balls. That makes four on the
ticket :^)

Appearances of course are gossamer, and I don't believe in the rah rah
bs. But her lack of 'experience' is way way better than the elitist
leftist obamamessiah.

Notice the nazi marxist threats from asswipe hal..... it's all stolen,
if the marxist doesn't get in?

Wait till the Annenberg files get out and how Obamamessiah tried and is
desperately trying to end the freedom to examine the reality within
those files, of him and that filthy Ayers.... the murderer who loved his
murders....

Mark

Sam the Bam

Aug 29, 2008, 7:25:28 PM8/29/08
On Aug 29, h...@nospam.org wrote:
> She supported teaching Creationism as science
> in Alaska public schools

Not a federal issue. Schools operate at
state level... of course, as a winger, you
worship centralized power, without limit...

> She is anti-choice

Legislative, not executive, purview.

> She is against gay marriage

Legislative, not executive, purview.

> She has no foreign policy experience and almost
> no executive experience

She has more executive experience than
Obama-Biden combined!
So Hal fires bullets 820 and 821 into his toes...

> She is under investigation for abuse of office

While Biden is a mere plagiarist.

Anyway, why do people gaggle over this?
No VP has ever decided an election, it's a
media blip, lasting a week.

Sam

h...@nospam.org

Aug 29, 2008, 7:25:51 PM8/29/08
On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 17:26:36 -0400, "David L. Burkhead"
<dbur...@sff.net> wrote:

><h...@nospam.org> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 16:55:19 -0400, "David L. Burkhead"
>> <dbur...@sff.net> wrote:
>>

>> >Okay,
>> >
>> >So aside from her being a woman, why do you hate her?
>> >
>> >(Sound familiar? I'm mimicking you back when Hillary was in the running
>and
>> >you kept getting answers as to why people did not want to see her as
>POTUS
>> >and you kept coming back with the "aside from her being a woman....")
>> >
>> >And she _still_ has more experience than Obama.
>>
>> but Obama has a brain.
>
>At least as much as a the average parrot. Evidence of much more than that
>is decidedly lacking.
>
>Repeating "hope, change" over and over again is _not_ a sign of
>intelligence.
>
>Nor is "57 states." Nor is "I'll be working with them for 8-10 years." Nor
>is talking "hope, change" and then picking the quintessential example of
>"business as usual in Washington" as his running mate.
>
>Frankly, he's a post turtle.

and you think a geezer, one step away from death, who's claim to fame
is crashing Navy jets, and who doesn't know the difference between
Sunnis and Shiites, and a soccer mom who's claim to fame is mayor of a
town of 9,000? At least Obama was smart enough to tap a #2 who had
experience and guts.

Hal

David L. Burkhead

Aug 29, 2008, 10:21:45 PM8/29/08

So, how's the fishing in northwestern Africa? Catching anything on that
river?

McCain's "claim to fame" if _flying_ Navy jets into combat. It's a
dangerous business and things happen. But, hey, you've never let the facts
get into the way of one of your rants before.

Incidentally, you might want to check McCain's family history. They've got
a history of longevity so the "one step away from death" is nothing more
than wishful thinking on your part.

As for Sunnis and Shiites: at least he knows how many states we have and
how long Presidential terms are (and how many are Constitutionally
permitted).

And I see you share Obama's disdain for "ordinary" people--like those who
live in small towns. And I guess governor of the largest and most
resource-rich state in the US doesn't count with you. And even if it
_didn't_ count, she's _still_ got more executive experience than Obama has.

So Obama campaigns on "change" and selects as his number two the
quintessential example of the status quo. I pointed that out before. Funny
how you deleted that part before attempting to justify the choice of Biden.

But go ahead and keep ranting. Obama's "convention bump" is late and small
and even with it the race is neck and neck by all major polls. McCain's
biggest weakness as a candidate has been his lack of appeal to the
Republican base. A _lot_ of people were going to stay home or vote 3rd
party out of disgust with RINO's. Well, guess what, McCain's selection of
running mate has just changed that. It will be interesting to see what
happens at the Republican convention and what kind of "convention bump"
McCain gets.

Frankly, I'm not calling the race at this point (as close as it is, no
intelligent person should), but I can say that Obama does not have the lock
on things that you seem to think.

David L. Burkhead -- Cold Servings, a webcomic
mailto:dbur...@sff.net -- http://www.coldservings.com

http://www.cafepress.com/oshaforcriminal <- OSHA for Criminals

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and
degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing is
worth a war, is worse." --- John Stuart Mill

David L. Burkhead

Aug 29, 2008, 10:29:24 PM8/29/08
Sam the Bam wrote:
> On Aug 29, h...@nospam.org wrote:
[ 8< ]

>> She is under investigation for abuse of office
>
> While Biden is a mere plagiarist.

Oh, BTW, the "abuse of office" she fired someone for not firing a police
officer who was a wife beater. Gee. The person wasn't doing his job so she
fired him. How "abusive." Oh, the wife in question, who was being beat on,
happened to be Palin's sister. So I guess in demspeak the relatives of
politicians--at least when they're republican politicians--are not entitled
to equal protection under the law.

And notice how Hal continues to avoid the issue about which the thread was
started: no Chickenhawks here.

David L. Burkhead -- Cold Servings, a webcomic
mailto:dbur...@sff.net -- http://www.coldservings.com

"Tolerance is the last virtue of a dying society."
Aristotle.
"Moderation in all things" (Presumably also in "tolerance.")
Aristotle

h...@nospam.org

Aug 29, 2008, 10:29:01 PM8/29/08
On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 22:21:45 -0400, "David L. Burkhead"
<dbur...@sff.net> wrote:

>Frankly, I'm not calling the race at this point (as close as it is, no
>intelligent person should), but I can say that Obama does not have the lock
>on things that you seem to think.

true.

"It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes."
Joseph Stalin

trav...@aol.com

Aug 29, 2008, 10:30:57 PM8/29/08
> and you think a geezer, one step away from death, who's claim to fame
> is crashing Navy jets, and who doesn't know the difference between
> Sunnis and Shiites, and a soccer mom who's claim to fame is mayor of a
> town of 9,000?  At least Obama was smart enough to tap a #2 who had
> experience and guts.
>
> Hal

Biden's an establishment crook...are you blind?

Trav

David L. Burkhead

Aug 29, 2008, 10:56:02 PM8/29/08

"It doesn't matter what the election says, we can pretend it was 'stolen' if
it produces a result we don't like."
Hal, in his heart of hearts.

David L. Burkhead -- Cold Servings, a webcomic
mailto:dbur...@sff.net -- http://www.coldservings.com
http://www.cafepress.com/oshaforcriminal <- OSHA for Criminals

"Any damn fool can predict the past."
Niven's 7th Law, Larry Niven

SPORTfighter

Aug 30, 2008, 12:42:45 AM8/30/08
On Aug 29, 12:54 pm, "David L. Burkhead" <dburkh...@sff.net> wrote:
> McCain, in addition to his own service has a child in the Navy and one in
> the Marines.
> Palin has a child in the army.
>
> I take it the whining about "chickenhawks" can end now?
>
> --
> --
> David L. Burkhead -- Cold Servings, a webcomic
> mailto:dburkh...@sff.net --http://www.coldservings.comhttp://www.cafepress.com/coldservings<- OSHA for criminals

>  "Dum Vivimus Vivamus"
> While we live, let us live."

Yeah but obama says mccains scared to chase bin ladin into the cave
where he lives...or something...I mean he seemd to be saying that,
even though mccain wasnt president so he had no say...and the bush
tried to get him in the caves, really only clinton had him caught dead
to rights but decided not to kill him...
but obama says he'll get bin ladin.
I mean yeah, he didnt say how, but then he never said how hes gonna
make the oceans recede and get us free from foreign oil within 10
years either so that shouldnt bother us.

SPORTfighter

Aug 30, 2008, 12:44:12 AM8/30/08
On Aug 29, 1:13 pm, h...@nospam.org wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 12:54:06 -0400, "David L. Burkhead"
>
> <dburkh...@sff.net> wrote:
> >McCain, in addition to his own service has a child in the Navy and one in
> >the Marines.
> >Palin has a child in the army.
>
> >I take it the whining about "chickenhawks" can end now?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Palin
>
> BWAAAAA AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAAAA !!!!!!!
>
> oh shit, I mean they couldn't have screwed up better if they tried.
>
> Just think, geezer McCain on the edge of death.  Dies a couple of
> months into office over the strain of actually doing something besides
> crashing jets.   And guess who becomes Commander in Chief of the
> world's only superpower:  A hockey mom who's full experience consists
> of less than two years governor of one of the least populated states
> in the nation, and prior to that mayor of the town in Northern
> Exposure.

as opposed to a guy 4 years out of STATE senate and who spent him
adult life hanging out with genocidal racists and domestic terrorists?
Ill take the hockey mom.

suds macheath

Aug 30, 2008, 9:45:45 AM8/30/08
David L. Burkhead wrote:
> Notice how you _completely_ sidestep the actual subject of the thread.
>
> And yet, she _still_ has more experience than Obama.
>
> So, aside from her being a woman, why do you hate her?

---I for one like her windfall tax on the oil companies that has left
AL's coffers overflowing.....wait, isn't that the Dem position?

suds macheath

Aug 30, 2008, 10:03:06 AM8/30/08
David L. Burkhead wrote:
> <h...@nospam.org> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 16:55:19 -0400, "David L. Burkhead"
>> <dbur...@sff.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Okay,
>>>
>>> So aside from her being a woman, why do you hate her?
>>>
>>> (Sound familiar? I'm mimicking you back when Hillary was in the running
> and
>>> you kept getting answers as to why people did not want to see her as
> POTUS
>>> and you kept coming back with the "aside from her being a woman....")
>>>
>>> And she _still_ has more experience than Obama.
>> but Obama has a brain.
>
> At least as much as a the average parrot. Evidence of much more than that
> is decidedly lacking.

---Really? Harvard Law School is turning out idiots now?

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2007/01/28/at_harvard_law_a_unifying_voice/

He confronted his most charged debates as president of the Harvard Law
Review, the exclusive club of 80 student editors and future Supreme
Court justices who publish a regular journal of legal writings.
Classmates recall an especially emotional debate in the spring of 1990
over affirmative action, which conservative students wanted to abolish.

Presiding over an assembly of 60 mostly white editors in a law school
classroom, Obama listened to impassioned pleas and pressed conservatives
to explain their reasoning and liberals to sharpen their thinking. But
he never spoke about his own point of view or mentioned that he believed
he had benefit ed from affirmative action.

"If anybody had walked by, they would have assumed he was a professor,"
said Thomas J. Perrelli, a classmate and former counsel to Attorney
General Janet Reno. "He was leading the discussion but he wasn't trying
to impose his own perspective on it. He was much more mediating."

> Repeating "hope, change" over and over again is _not_ a sign of
> intelligence.

---And mentioning a country that hasn't existed for decades is?

> Nor is "57 states."

---Sure, I'll give ya that one....a tired obama said "fifty" instead of
"forty"...

http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/57states.asp

---What was Bush's excuse for the "country of Africa" and the "Grecians"
of Greece?

Nor is "I'll be working with them for 8-10 years." Nor
> is talking "hope, change" and then picking the quintessential example of
> "business as usual in Washington" as his running mate.

---And McCain picks a MILF who presides over a state with half the
population of my county....making our county mayor eminently more
qualified...

> Frankly, he's a post turtle.

---You sure you want Miss Congeniality as president?

suds macheath

Aug 30, 2008, 10:06:03 AM8/30/08

---Because McCain's in God's waiting room, and I'm not comfortable with
Miss Congeniality as POTUS?

suds macheath

Aug 30, 2008, 10:09:51 AM8/30/08

----But he supported Bush policy all the way....
'

...and the bush
> tried to get him in the caves, really only clinton had him caught dead
> to rights but decided not to kill him...

---ultra right myth....

> but obama says he'll get bin ladin.

---Bush did as well..."dead or alive"....maybe he meant Saddam....

suds macheath

Aug 30, 2008, 10:15:52 AM8/30/08
David L. Burkhead wrote:
> Sam the Bam wrote:
>> On Aug 29, h...@nospam.org wrote:
> [ 8< ]
>
>>> She is under investigation for abuse of office
>> While Biden is a mere plagiarist.
>
> Oh, BTW, the "abuse of office" she fired someone for not firing a police
> officer who was a wife beater. Gee. The person wasn't doing his job so she
> fired him. How "abusive." Oh, the wife in question, who was being beat on,
> happened to be Palin's sister.

---Well, the trooper was palin's ex-brother in law, that much is true....

So I guess in demspeak the relatives of
> politicians--at least when they're republican politicians--are not entitled
> to equal protection under the law.

---I guess we'll see when the investigation concludes.....messy divorces
are rarely black or white affairs. That a sitting gov would intervene is
a clear conflict of interest.

> And notice how Hal continues to avoid the issue about which the thread was
> started: no Chickenhawks here.

---Did you neglect to mention Biden's kid?

suds macheath

Aug 30, 2008, 10:17:49 AM8/30/08
David L. Burkhead wrote:
> McCain, in addition to his own service has a child in the Navy and one in
> the Marines.
> Palin has a child in the army.

---It's about time....oh, you neglected to mention Biden's
kid....typical.....

Stanley Moore

Aug 30, 2008, 11:05:53 AM8/30/08

"SPORTfighter" <billam...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Actually if you parse his words Obama _could_ do what he said. He said he
would free us from foreign oil "from the Middle East". Since we only get
some 16% of our oil from the ME it is barely possible he could do it. Most
of our imported oil comes from Canada, Mexico, and South America. Our total
imports are around 60% of our consumption but only a quarter of that comes
from the ME. Conservatives are also confused about this seemingly equating
total imports with those from Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia etc. Take care

h...@nospam.org

Aug 30, 2008, 11:29:37 AM8/30/08
On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 22:56:02 -0400, "David L. Burkhead"
<dbur...@sff.net> wrote:

>h...@nospam.org wrote:
>> On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 22:21:45 -0400, "David L. Burkhead"
>> <dbur...@sff.net> wrote:
>>

>>> Frankly, I'm not calling the race at this point (as close as it is,
>>> no intelligent person should), but I can say that Obama does not
>>> have the lock on things that you seem to think.
>>
>> true.
>>
>> "It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes."
>> Joseph Stalin
>

>"It doesn't matter what the election says, we can pretend it was 'stolen' if
>it produces a result we don't like."
>Hal, in his heart of hearts.

the corporatist CEO of Diebold vowed to deliver Ohio to the president.
And that is exactly what he did. It doesn't get any more blatant than
that.

Published on Thursday, August 28, 2003 by the Cleveland Plain Dealer
Voting Machine Controversy
by Julie Carr Smyth

COLUMBUS - The head of a company vying to sell voting machines in Ohio
told Republicans in a recent fund-raising letter that he is "committed
to helping Ohio deliver its electoral votes to the president next
year."

The Aug. 14 letter from Walden O'Dell, chief executive of Diebold Inc.
- who has become active in the re-election effort of President Bush -
prompted Democrats this week to question the propriety of allowing
O'Dell's company to calculate votes in the 2004 presidential election.

O'Dell attended a strategy pow-wow with wealthy Bush benefactors -
known as Rangers and Pioneers - at the president's Crawford, Texas,
ranch earlier this month. The next week, he penned invitations to a
$1,000-a-plate fund-raiser to benefit the Ohio Republican Party's
federal campaign fund - partially benefiting Bush - at his mansion in
the Columbus suburb of Upper Arlington.

The letter went out the day before Ohio Secretary of State Ken
Blackwell, also a Republican, was set to qualify Diebold as one of
three firms eligible to sell upgraded electronic voting machines to
Ohio counties in time for the 2004 election.

Blackwell's announcement is still in limbo because of a court
challenge over the fairness of the selection process by a disqualified
bidder, Sequoia Voting Systems.

In his invitation letter, O'Dell asked guests to consider donating or
raising up to $10,000 each for the federal account that the state GOP
will use to help Bush and other federal candidates - money that
legislative Democratic leaders charged could come back to benefit
Blackwell.

They urged Blackwell to remove Diebold from the field of
voting-machine companies eligible to sell to Ohio counties.

This is the second such request in as many months. State Sen. Jeff
Jacobson, a Dayton-area Republican, asked Blackwell in July to
disqualify Diebold after security concerns arose over its equipment.

"Ordinary Ohioans may infer that Blackwell's office is looking past
Diebold's security issues because its CEO is seeking $10,000 donations
for Blackwell's party - donations that could be made with statewide
elected officials right there in the same room," said Senate
Democratic Leader Greg DiDonato.

Diebold spokeswoman Michelle Griggy said O'Dell - who was unavailable
to comment personally - has held fund-raisers in his home for many
causes, including the Columbus Zoo, Op era Columbus, Catholic Social
Services and Ohio State University.

Ohio GOP spokesman Jason Mauk said the party approached O'Dell about
hosting the event at his home, the historic Cotswold Manor, and not
the other way around. Mauk said that under federal campaign finance
rules, the party cannot use any money from its federal account for
state- level candidates.

"To think that Diebold is somehow tainted because they have a couple
folks on their board who support the president is just unfair," Mauk
said.

Griggy said in an e-mail statement that Diebold could not comment on
the political contributions of individual company employees.

Blackwell said Diebold is not the only company with political
connections - noting that lobbyists for voting-machine makers read
like a who's who of Columbus' powerful and politically connected.

"Let me put it to you this way: If there was one person uniquely
involved in the political process, that might be troubling," he said.
"But there's no one that hasn't used every legitimate avenue and bit
of leverage that they could legally use to get their product looked
at. Believe me, if there is a political lever to be pulled, all of
them have pulled it."

Blackwell said he stands by the process used for selecting voting
machine vendors as fair, thorough and impartial.

As of yesterday, however, that determination lay with Ohio Court of
Claims Judge Fred Shoemaker.

He heard closing arguments yesterday over whether Sequoia was unfairly
eliminated by Blackwell midway through the final phase of
negotiations.

Shoemaker extended a temporary restraining order in the case for 14
days, but said he hopes to issue his opinion sooner than that.

© 2003 The Plain Dealer

trav...@aol.com

Aug 30, 2008, 1:20:23 PM8/30/08
> Actually if you parse his words Obama _could_ do what he said. He said he
> would free us from foreign oil "from the Middle East". Since we only get
> some 16% of our oil from the ME it is barely possible he could do it. Most
> of our imported oil comes from Canada, Mexico, and South America. Our total
> imports are around 60% of our consumption but only a quarter of that comes
> from the ME. Conservatives are also confused about this seemingly equating
> total imports  with those from Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia etc. Take care

Well, 2 of the regions we get our significant imports from are in
terminal decline.

So, if our consumption patterns are not going to change, what Oblama
claims to be able to do is impossible. If you notice, KSA is now
among our top 3 import sources and Iraq is climbing the list as well.
Iraq will by necessity replace Mexico, and that is why we are there.
You can look at Mexico's supply figure on that list and subtract it
out; Mexico won't be exporting any oil in 3 to 4 years, perhaps less.
So, there's a supply shortfall that can only be made up from ME oil.

Trav

Stanley Moore

Aug 30, 2008, 2:26:31 PM8/30/08

<trav...@aol.com> wrote in message

****************************
I would hope we could make it up with our own oil though that is unlikely.
I like Picken's idea of using natural gas and wind to augment our energy
needs. Take care

SPORTfighter

Aug 30, 2008, 9:49:03 PM8/30/08
On Aug 30, 10:03 am, suds macheath <sudsmcd...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> David L. Burkhead wrote:
> > <h...@nospam.org> wrote in message

> > and
> > POTUS

> >> but Obama has a brain.
>
> > At least as much as a the average parrot.  Evidence of much more than that
> > is decidedly lacking.
>
> ---Really? Harvard Law School is turning out idiots now?
>
> http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2007/01/28/at_harvard_law_a...
> ---You sure you want Miss Congeniality as president?- Hide quoted text -

yes, he is dumb and went to harvard,.He got in cause he was
black.Obviously.

suds macheath

Aug 31, 2008, 4:13:38 PM8/31/08

----Wow, any black guy can go to Harvard? I can't wait to tell my
custodian buddies...

SPORTfighter

Aug 31, 2008, 5:09:36 PM8/31/08

My neighbor growing up was of average intellect tops and he got a full
ride to an ivy league U for being the right color.I had him by 78
points in the SAT.

trav...@aol.com

Aug 31, 2008, 5:32:21 PM8/31/08
> My neighbor growing up was of average intellect tops and he got a full
> ride to an ivy league U for being the right color.I had him by 78
> points in the SAT.- Hide quoted text -

Those of us who went to college can tell all kinds of similar
stories. There are entire programs to bring in people of the right
color irrespective of their comparative qualifications.

Trav

David L. Burkhead

Aug 31, 2008, 10:33:46 PM8/31/08
h...@nospam.org wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 22:56:02 -0400, "David L. Burkhead"
> <dbur...@sff.net> wrote:
>
>> h...@nospam.org wrote:

>>> true.
>>>
>>> "It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes."
>>> Joseph Stalin
>>

>> "It doesn't matter what the election says, we can pretend it was
>> 'stolen' if it produces a result we don't like."
>> Hal, in his heart of hearts.

You know, with Hal out there in the world, I _really_ need to look into
investing in Aluminum.

David L. Burkhead -- Cold Servings, a webcomic
mailto:dbur...@sff.net -- http://www.coldservings.com
http://www.cafepress.com/oshaforcriminal <- OSHA for Criminals

"Psi and/or magical powers, if real, are nearly useless.
Over the lifetime of the human species we would otherwise
have done something with them."
Niven's 5th Law, Larry Niven.

BURKE THE BOLD

Aug 31, 2008, 10:20:15 PM8/31/08
I grow weary of hearing all the silly talk about who was and who
wasn't a draft dodger during the Vietnam war.

Whether the rambo-types like it or not, Vietnam was NOT a popular war
and it was not unusual for people on both sides of the political fence
to find ways to avoid going there.

"Chickenhawking", joining the military with the guarantee that a
person would not be sent to Vietnam was a common practice. I knew
people who did that and serve their country honorably.

David L. Burkhead

Aug 31, 2008, 10:46:50 PM8/31/08
h...@nospam.org wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 22:56:02 -0400, "David L. Burkhead"
> <dbur...@sff.net> wrote:
>
>> h...@nospam.org wrote:

>>> true.
>>>
>>> "It's not who votes that counts, it's who counts the votes."
>>> Joseph Stalin
>>

>> "It doesn't matter what the election says, we can pretend it was
>> 'stolen' if it produces a result we don't like."
>> Hal, in his heart of hearts.
>
> the corporatist CEO of Diebold vowed to deliver Ohio to the president.
> And that is exactly what he did. It doesn't get any more blatant than
> that.

You mean the statement mad ein the context of a _fund_ _raiser_ (you
know--raising funds to campaign so as to help get a party elected. While
it's possible to use the

> Published on Thursday, August 28, 2003 by the Cleveland Plain Dealer
> Voting Machine Controversy
> by Julie Carr Smyth

[ 8< Most of yet another article which doesn't say quite what Hal thinks it
says >8 ]

Note that the lawsuit in the article is _not_ about Diebold falsifying
voting results, but using "unfair" means to get the contract to provide the
machines.

But here's a key part:

> As of yesterday, however, that determination lay with Ohio Court of
> Claims Judge Fred Shoemaker.
>
> He heard closing arguments yesterday over whether Sequoia was unfairly
> eliminated by Blackwell midway through the final phase of
> negotiations.
>
> Shoemaker extended a temporary restraining order in the case for 14
> days, but said he hopes to issue his opinion sooner than that.

And that decision was, Hal? Come on, you should know that.

And the Democrat party doesn't have _any_ lawyers good enough to have a
judge subpoena the source code of the machines, nor any programmers good
enough to vet it and find the hidden code that would allow Diebold to change
the results from what is actually voted?

With folk like Hal around, I _really_ need to consider investing in
aluminum. The demand has got to be high.

David L. Burkhead -- Cold Servings, a webcomic
mailto:dbur...@sff.net -- http://www.coldservings.com
http://www.cafepress.com/oshaforcriminal <- OSHA for Criminals

"We aren't no thin red 'eroes
"nor we aren't no blackgaurds too,
"Just single men in barrakcs
"Most remarkable like you"
Rudyard Kipling, Tommy

David L. Burkhead

Aug 31, 2008, 11:00:20 PM8/31/08
suds macheath wrote:
> David L. Burkhead wrote:
>> Sam the Bam wrote:
>>> On Aug 29, h...@nospam.org wrote:
>> [ 8< ]

>>> While Biden is a mere plagiarist.
>>
>> Oh, BTW, the "abuse of office" she fired someone for not firing a
>> police officer who was a wife beater. Gee. The person wasn't doing
>> his job so she fired him. How "abusive." Oh, the wife in question,
>> who was being beat on, happened to be Palin's sister.
>
> ---Well, the trooper was palin's ex-brother in law, that much is
> true....

Notice how the left always gives the "benefit of the doubt" in favor of
the left.

> So I guess in demspeak the relatives of
>> politicians--at least when they're republican politicians--are not
>> entitled to equal protection under the law.
>
> ---I guess we'll see when the investigation concludes.....messy
> divorces
> are rarely black or white affairs.

Yes, tazering one's son is such a middle-of-the-road shade of gray.

> That a sitting gov would intervene
> is
> a clear conflict of interest.

Ah, so anyone who has a connection to a politician can get a free ride
because attempting to punish misbehavior is a "conflict of interest." A
politician cannot have subordinates fired for not doing their job (as in,
not disciplining underlings) if that job touches on a relative (resulting in
the "free ride.") Got it.

Oh, wait, it's only when the politician is a Republican that that
applies.

>> And notice how Hal continues to avoid the issue about which the
>> thread was started: no Chickenhawks here.
>>

> ---Did you neglect to mention Biden's kid?

Since the point wasn't a case of "vote for them, they have kids in the
military" but rather "I wonder if folk like Hal and you will finally _shut_
_up_ on the 'chickenhawk' claims" Biden's family connections are irrelevant,
since you always give the left a pass on those issues anyway.

David L. Burkhead -- Cold Servings, a webcomic
mailto:dbur...@sff.net -- http://www.coldservings.com
http://www.cafepress.com/oshaforcriminal <- OSHA for Criminals

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and

David L. Burkhead

Jerry B. Altzman

Sep 1, 2008, 9:54:31 AM9/1/08
on 2008-08-31 22:46 David L. Burkhead said the following:

> With folk like Hal around, I _really_ need to consider investing in
> aluminum. The demand has got to be high.

Well, in this case, it's Hal, plus Bruce Schneier, plus Peter Neumann
and the RISKS folks (and I think the ACM policy groups as well)...so
yeah, lots of aluminum caps for all those folks.

When it comes to the Diebold voting machines, the fish smell is
overpowering, and nobody wants to be told "just trust me", *regardless*
of what some Diebold bigwig says offhandedly about delivering elections.

//jbaltz
--
jerry b. altzman jba...@altzman.com www.jbaltz.com
thank you for contributing to the heat death of the universe.

suds macheath

Sep 1, 2008, 10:32:36 AM9/1/08

---Did he graduate magna cum laude at Harvard Law?

suds macheath

Sep 1, 2008, 10:35:31 AM9/1/08

---And he graduated magna cum laude from Harvard Law cause he's black?

suds macheath

Sep 1, 2008, 10:56:05 AM9/1/08
David L. Burkhead wrote:
> suds macheath wrote:
>> David L. Burkhead wrote:
>>> [ 8< ]

>>> Oh, BTW, the "abuse of office" she fired someone for not firing a
>>> police officer who was a wife beater. Gee. The person wasn't doing
>>> his job so she fired him. How "abusive." Oh, the wife in question,
>>> who was being beat on, happened to be Palin's sister.
>> ---Well, the trooper was palin's ex-brother in law, that much is
>> true....
>
> Notice how the left always gives the "benefit of the doubt" in favor of
> the left.

---Notice how the right dismisses speculation not in their favor....

>> So I guess in demspeak the relatives of
>>> politicians--at least when they're republican politicians--are not
>>> entitled to equal protection under the law.
>> ---I guess we'll see when the investigation concludes.....messy
>> divorces
>> are rarely black or white affairs.
>
> Yes, tazering one's son is such a middle-of-the-road shade of gray.

---Was he arrested and convicted of it? Police report? Or hearsay?

>> That a sitting gov would intervene
>> is
>> a clear conflict of interest.
>
> Ah, so anyone who has a connection to a politician
can get a free ride
> because attempting to punish misbehavior is a "conflict of interest." A
> politician cannot have subordinates fired for not doing their job (as in,
> not disciplining underlings) if that job touches on a relative (resulting in
> the "free ride.") Got it.

---Got what, the flu?

> Oh, wait, it's only when the politician is a Republican that that
> applies.

---Isn't this what Repubs accused the Clintons of for years, and now
wants to give Palin a pass for the same thing? What hypocrisy....

>>> And notice how Hal continues to avoid the issue about which the
>>> thread was started: no Chickenhawks here.
>>>
>> ---Did you neglect to mention Biden's kid?
>
> Since the point wasn't a case of "vote for them, they have kids in the
> military" but rather "I wonder if folk like Hal and you will finally _shut_
> _up_ on the 'chickenhawk' claims"

---Nobody called McCain a chickenhawk....would you like to show where
they did? We'll wait....

Biden's family connections are irrelevant

----Because, of course, Biden's a Dem...wouldn't serve the Repub myth
that Dems won't fight for their country....

,
> since you always give the left a pass on those issues anyway.

---Another winger that doesn't seem to know the meaning of "chickenhawk"....

suds macheath

Sep 1, 2008, 11:17:05 AM9/1/08
David L. Burkhead wrote:
> suds macheath wrote:
>> David L. Burkhead wrote:
>>> McCain, in addition to his own service has a child in the Navy and
>>> one in the Marines.
>>> Palin has a child in the army.
>> ---It's about time....oh, you neglected to mention Biden's
>> kid....typical.....
>
> Because it's not the _Democrats_ that you and your buddy Hal keep calling
> "Chickenhawks."

---Post where I've called McCain a chickenhawk....
Another winger unclear on the "chickenhawk" concept....
Here's some help for ya:

http://www.wordspy.com/words/chickenhawk.asp

chicken hawk (CHIK.un.hawk) n. A person who now advocates war but who
once took special measures to avoid military service. Also:
chicken-hawk, chickenhawk.

And this:

http://awolbush.com/whoserved.html

---Note it lists Repubs who aren't chickenhawks as well...

---I found it interesting that when the Bush campaign smeared McCain in
2000, it was mostly Dems that came to his defense...and a Repub *not* a
chickenhawk, Sen Hagel....

http://www.nytimes.com/library/politics/camp/020500wh-gop-mccain.html

suds macheath

Sep 1, 2008, 11:20:12 AM9/1/08
BURKE THE BOLD wrote:
> I grow weary of hearing all the silly talk about who was and who
> wasn't a draft dodger during the Vietnam war.
>
> Whether the rambo-types like it or not, Vietnam was NOT a popular war
> and it was not unusual for people on both sides of the political fence
> to find ways to avoid going there.

---The difference being the hypocrisy of being pro war (VN as well) yet
doing all you can to avoid serving in one...

Sam the Bam

Sep 2, 2008, 6:04:13 PM9/2/08
On Aug 31, `"travis...@aol.cominyrface" <travis...@aol.com> wrote:
> > My neighbor growing up was of average intellect tops and he
> > got a full ride to an ivy league U for being the right color.
> > I had him by 78 points in the SAT.
>
> Those of us who went to college can tell all kinds of similar
> stories. There are entire programs to bring in people of the right
> color irrespective of their comparative qualifications.

A few years ago, the NY Times printed an essay,
by a kid who applied to Harvard, rejected... then
they found out he's black, they fell all over
themselves trying to get him, after he admitted
someplace else.

He wrote how embarrassing it was... and later
accepted their offer, the money was too good.

Sam

Sam the Bam

Sep 2, 2008, 6:21:50 PM9/2/08
On Sep 1, suds macheath <sudsmcd...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I grow weary of hearing all the silly talk about who was and who
> > wasn't a draft dodger during the Vietnam war.
>
> > Whether the rambo-types like it or not, Vietnam was NOT a popular war
> > and it was not unusual for people on both sides of the political fence
> > to find ways to avoid going there.
>
> ---The difference being the hypocrisy of being pro war (VN as well)
> yet doing all you can to avoid serving in one...

"I had other priorities."
- Dick Cheney, asked why he didn't serve in Vietnam

Sam