Re: Roommate in Custody After Purdue University Student Killed in Dorm: Police

Stabbin' !

Dec 2, 2022, 10:55:03 AM12/2/22
In article <tmc1q1$316au$3...@dont-email.me>
b...@panix.com (Bradley K. Sherman) wrote:

> The USA has gone to Hell because of Democrats.

A 22-year-old Purdue University student who is facing a murder
charge in connection with the death of his 20-year-old roommate
called authorities to their dorm room soon after Wednesday
morning's fatal incident.

Purdue Police Chief Lesley Wiete identified the victim as Varun
Manish Chheda, a data science major at the renowned West
Lafayette, Ind., school.

Wiete would not speculate on a motive while talking to reporters
earlier this morning, but did say the suspect — a South Korean
national named Ji Min Sha — lived with the victim in a first-
floor dorm room in McCutcheon Hall.

The killing happened in their shared dorm room, which is where
Purdue University police took Sha into custody.

Students in adjacent rooms were moved to safety.

Sha, who goes by the nickname Jimmy, is a cyber security major
at Purdue, Wiete said.

An autopsy performed on Wednesday revealed that Chheda was
stabbed to death, CBS4 Indy reports. He died from "multiple
sharp force traumatic injuries," according to the Tippecanoe
County Coroner's Office, per the outlet.

Mitch Daniels, Purdue's president, released a statement this
morning, calling the crime "as tragic an event as we can imagine
happening on our campus."

Daniels added: "Our hearts and thoughts go out to all of those
affected by this terrible event. We do not have all the details
yet. Our Purdue University Police Department is conducting a
thorough investigation of this incident so that we all may learn
more about what transpired."

Counselors are being provided to students who need them.

Daniels' statement notes that "the safety and security of our
students is the single highest priority on our campus."

It is unclear if Sha has retained an attorney who can speak on
his behalf.

This is the second homicide on the school's campus in less than
a decade.

On Jan. 14, 2014, Cody Cousins stabbed fellow student Andrew
Boldt, 21, to death in Purdue's Electrical Engineering building,
reports the Indianapolis Star.

He openly confessed to the killing, pleaded guilty in court and
received a 65-year prison sentence.

Cousins, 24, died by suicide in prison in late 2014.

https://people.com/crime/roommate-in-custody-purdue-university-
student-killed-dorm/