Impossible Siteswap Animator

Alex Lubker

May 18, 2013, 4:39:15 PM5/18/13
I recently made an Impossible Siteswap Animator:

www.fastswf.com/0XwetWo

It can juggle patterns with negative numbers (which make the balls travel backwards in time), patterns with crossing zeros (which make the balls instantly teleport from one hand to the other), and invalid siteswaps (by creating or destroying a ball whenever necessary).

LibraryofJuggling

May 20, 2013, 12:26:08 AM5/20/13
Interesting. I especially like the teleporting zeros option. I'll have to give this animator a closer look.

By the way, great job for all the work you've done on Juggle Wiki.

Aidan

May 20, 2013, 3:01:04 AM5/20/13
I don't think crossing zeros are impossible. I have already included
animations of them on mt siteswap tutorial!
Aidan.
LibraryofJuggling wrote:
> On Saturday, May 18, 2013 1:39:15 PM UTC-7, Alex Lubker wrote:
> > I recently made an Impossible Siteswap Animator:
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> > www.fastswf.com/0XwetWo
> >=20
> >=20
> >=20
> > It can juggle patterns with negative numbers (which make the balls travel=
> backwards in time), patterns with crossing zeros (which make the balls ins=
> tantly teleport from one hand to the other), and invalid siteswaps (by crea=
> ting or destroying a ball whenever necessary).
>
> Interesting. I especially like the teleporting zeros option. I'll have to g=
> ive this animator a closer look.
>
> By the way, great job for all the work you've done on Juggle Wiki.

Alex Lubker

May 20, 2013, 2:43:07 PM5/20/13
On Monday, May 20, 2013 2:01:04 AM UTC-5, Aidan wrote:
> I don't think crossing zeros are impossible. I have already included
>
> animations of them on mt siteswap tutorial!
>
> Aidan.

Well, one way to interpret a 0x is as something similar to a 1 or a 2x, which would make the patterns possible, but passing the ball across takes a little bit of time... My animator makes it change hands instantly because a 0 technically shouldn't take any time.

Adrian G

May 24, 2013, 4:25:51 AM5/24/13
I was looking at crossing zeros when I was writing my simulator and I decided
they were impossible when I was looking at the pattern (2x,0x). In this 1 ball
pattern, a ball is thrown from the left hand to land in the right two beats
later and then thrown again two beats later from the left hand. To me it
didn't really make sense that a ball could have no flight time, hence why
zeros typically don't involve a throw. As Alex said you can look at them as 1s
or 2xs but then (in my opinion) it's a 1 or 2x and you have to change the
other numbers to work with that. So (2x,0x) if you consider the 0x a 2x
becomes something like (3,0)(0,0)!(0,1)!

Another way to look at it is (2x,0x) is a one ball pattern yet two balls are
being thrown simultaneously.

Just my $0.02

Alex Lubker

May 24, 2013, 3:55:08 PM5/24/13
On Friday, May 24, 2013 3:25:51 AM UTC-5, Adrian G wrote:
> Another way to look at it is (2x,0x) is a one ball pattern yet two balls are
>
> being thrown simultaneously.

It's really just one ball being "thrown" by both hands simultaneously. The right hand makes the ball it just caught instantly go back to the left hand, and at the same time the left hand throws that same ball toward the right hand.

Giocoleria da diporto

Apr 14, 2023, 7:02:10 PM4/14/23
Hi Alex,
is your «Impossible Siteswap Animator» by any chance available in
another domain now? ��

Thank you!

--
Let's resurrect rec.juggling

a...@lysator.liu.se

Jun 6, 2023, 8:50:56 AM6/6/23

Giocoleria da diporto

Jun 6, 2023, 11:46:33 AM6/6/23
Thank you! 😊

Nice to see that some jugglers still use Slrn! I see that by now even
the most frequent visitors, like Little Paul, have abandoned this place
in favor of The Juggling Edge.

And yet, despite being so dated, it remains preferable to the bad
Facebook and Instagram, which do not allow for any serious discussion,
since everything disappears within a few days if not hours, drowned by
subsequent videos, and using internal search engines is totally
useless, as Jay Gilligan recalled for his project, which I don't
know if it's still ongoing:

https://www.facebook.com/instantjuggler/posts/10156700934025563