Video: Thomas Dietz Video #10

Mark Probst

Dec 20, 2004, 12:27:25 PM12/20/04
Hi everybody!

It took us a long time, but it's finally finished! This one's longer
and hence bigger than all our previous videos. At nearly 11 minutes
it weighs in at roughly 106 MB. Get it from one of these locations:

http://www.jugglebum.com/videos/thomas10.mpg
http://diabolo.ca/video/temp/thomas10.mpg
http://www.gradzone.com/andrew/files/thomas10.mpg
http://lutkus.com/juggling/thomas/thomas10.mpg
http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/schani/jugglevids/thomas10.mpg

Thanks to Sean Anderson, Jeff Lutkus, Andrew Gradisher, and Dave Deane
for webspace and mirroring.

Also, I'm happy to announce that there is now a permanent mirror of
all Thomas Dietz videos hosted by Dave Deane at:

http://www.jugglebum.com/thomas.html

Now a few words about our future plans: We've decided to take on the
production of a DVD which will hopefully sell reasonably well and make
us both rich men ;-). One of the consequences of this decision is
that we will not release any new numbered Thomas Dietz videos, as they
will form the main part of our DVD.

That does not mean, however, that we won't release any videos for free
anymore. Quite to the contrary, we already have two new videos in our
production pipeline, to be released within the next two months if
everything goes well.

Apart from lots of juggling, there will of course be other stuff on
the DVD. I plan to put together a few hints for making juggling
videos, for example, and maybe we'll have instructional stuff for
juggling, too.

What will not be on the DVD is the videos we've released until now.
I'll probably put together a best-of of the videos 1 to 10, though.

Two things you shouldn't ask us about the DVD is when it's going to be
done and how much it's going to cost. I can only say that we plan to
have it ready for the IJA festival, but we're not sure about which
year, yet. As for the price: It probably going to cost more than a
blank DVD and less than a new car.

To answer two technical questions in advance: The DVD will be a DVD,
not a VHS, and we'll do a PAL as well as an NTSC version. If you have
no idea what that means, forget I ever said it.

Have fun with Thomas Dietz Video #10, and please remember: Our most
valued reward is your feedback, so keep it coming! :-)

bye
Mark

Adam Chamberlain

Dec 19, 2004, 12:45:25 PM12/19/04
woo hoo, can't wait, been waiting a long time, i'm sure it'll be worth
it. I've paused all my bittorrents especially for this :)

I was betting it would be out xmas or new years evening, nevermind,
the sooner the better :)

cheers,

Adam

Guy G

Dec 20, 2004, 12:43:09 PM12/20/04
Mark Probst wrote:
> Hi everybody!
>
> It took us a long time, but it's finally finished! This one's longer
> and hence bigger than all our previous videos. At nearly 11 minutes
> it weighs in at roughly 106 MB. Get it from one of these locations:

God bless boredom! In regularly checking rec.juggling, I may be amoung
the first to see this (hopefully) masterpiece. If only my connection
was faster...
Guy

Adam Chamberlain

Dec 19, 2004, 1:07:42 PM12/19/04
>God bless boredom! In regularly checking rec.juggling, I may be amoung
>the first to see this (hopefully) masterpiece. If only my connection
>was faster...
>Guy

I know how you feel, i'm only peaking at 56kb/s so i've still got 9
mins to go, nevermind, i'm using flashget - if i had getright
installed - would i have been able to max out my speed with all those
mirrors? i can't remember if that's a feature or not...

with regards to being the first to see it - surely the guys providing
the mirrors would have been the first, wouldn't they?

Adam

Mutton

Dec 20, 2004, 12:59:33 PM12/20/04
Mark Probst wrote:
> Hi everybody!

Hi Mark, hi Thomas!
What an awesome video! I love all of the throw-ins (is that what you call
them?), where Dietz catches the two clubs from Mark and goes into 5 club
backcrosses; also the other one that comes to mind is the double blind
catch. The 7 ball tricks are totally insane, I love the synchronous
stuff (don't know the ss) and pirouettes. Looks like you have 6 clubs
pretty solid, nice kickups! I'm not a club juggler so I probably can't
appreciate how insanely hard 5 club singles are and the like, but the
tricks sure look great. :D

Looking back at video #1, which still has tricks that are extremely
difficult by todays technical juggling standards, you sure have improved a
lot. You probably aren't too far off in your prediction of the future. :)

> It took us a long time, but it's finally finished! This one's longer
> and hence bigger than all our previous videos. At nearly 11 minutes
> it weighs in at roughly 106 MB. Get it from one of these locations:
>
> http://www.jugglebum.com/videos/thomas10.mpg
> http://diabolo.ca/video/temp/thomas10.mpg
> http://www.gradzone.com/andrew/files/thomas10.mpg
> http://lutkus.com/juggling/thomas/thomas10.mpg
> http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/schani/jugglevids/thomas10.mpg
>
> Thanks to Sean Anderson, Jeff Lutkus, Andrew Gradisher, and Dave Deane
> for webspace and mirroring.

I am always happy to give a hand!

That's great that you are finally doing a DVD. I've been eagerly awaiting
one for quite some time. I hope that the best-of DVD has high quality
footage.

Once again, thanks for all of the videos you guys have made. I've spent
many hours watching them and enjoying them with my friends. They inspire
me to juggle better, and when I physically can't juggle they satisfy my
juggling obsession. ;)

- Andrew Gradisher

erik_jernqvist

Dec 20, 2004, 1:02:28 PM12/20/04
Christmas comes early this year (well it's not THAT early, but what the
heck).

Erik
(Eagerly waiting for the download to be done)

Mutton

Dec 20, 2004, 1:04:35 PM12/20/04

Yeah, I got to see it this morning... It's a nice privilege. :D

BTW, for anyone using my host (gradzone.com) please let me know what the
speeds are like and where you are downloading from.

- Andrew

Adam Chamberlain

Dec 19, 2004, 1:29:36 PM12/19/04
WOW. Amazing stuff, the throw in variations were amazing, and i was
very impressed to see 6 clubs juggled in a fountain. I'll definately
be purchasing the dvd as well :)

Adam

Guy G

Dec 20, 2004, 1:34:35 PM12/20/04
Mutton wrote:
> Adam Chamberlain wrote:
>
>>>God bless boredom! In regularly checking rec.juggling, I may be amoung
>>>the first to see this (hopefully) masterpiece. If only my connection
>>>was faster...
>>>Guy
>>
>>I know how you feel, i'm only peaking at 56kb/s so i've still got 9
>>mins to go, nevermind, i'm using flashget - if i had getright
>>installed - would i have been able to max out my speed with all those
>>mirrors? i can't remember if that's a feature or not...
>>
>>with regards to being the first to see it - surely the guys providing
>>the mirrors would have been the first, wouldn't they?

Yes, that's why I carefully said "amoung the first".

>>Adam
>

> Yeah, I got to see it this morning... It's a nice privilege. :D
>
> BTW, for anyone using my host (gradzone.com) please let me know what the
> speeds are like and where you are downloading from.

I'm downloading from Reading, UK, and I'm getting top speeds of 35kb/s.
Which isn't really good enough. Although it is the maximum speed that
my connection allows, but still...

Guy

1 minute until it's finished...

David Cain

Dec 20, 2004, 1:35:17 PM12/20/04
Wow. It was awesome. Thank God for High Speed internet. The toss in
stuff was totally insane and seemingly impossible. I really liked the
toss in from 3 club back crosses into 5 club back crosses. I loved all
of the 6 club tricks, especially the 6 club, four up pirouette. I
worked on that for a while and got nowhere. I'm surprised that 7 clubs
wasn't included in this video and that 9 ball runs weren't included in
any of the videos. Nevertheless, it was brilliant. Well done.
David Cain
www.christianjuggler.com

Arachnoid

Dec 20, 2004, 1:42:04 PM12/20/04
this guy was juggling like 15 balls and then 2 people threw balls at him
and he caught them between his legs and carried on.

And he threw loads really high.

The only sensible thing i can say is OMG and even that's not very sensible.

one day i'll be able to do some of those club siteswaps, only i might just
use balls and leave the headrolls alone.

Russ

Rory Parle

Dec 20, 2004, 1:54:43 PM12/20/04
Mark Probst wrote:
> Hi everybody!
>
> It took us a long time, but it's finally finished! This one's longer
> and hence bigger than all our previous videos. At nearly 11 minutes
> it weighs in at roughly 106 MB. Get it from one of these locations:
>
> http://www.jugglebum.com/videos/thomas10.mpg
> http://diabolo.ca/video/temp/thomas10.mpg
> http://www.gradzone.com/andrew/files/thomas10.mpg
> http://lutkus.com/juggling/thomas/thomas10.mpg
> http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/schani/jugglevids/thomas10.mpg
>
> Thanks to Sean Anderson, Jeff Lutkus, Andrew Gradisher, and Dave Deane
> for webspace and mirroring.

<snip>

> Have fun with Thomas Dietz Video #10, and please remember: Our most
> valued reward is your feedback, so keep it coming! :-)

Fantastic, hilarious, etc.
One nitpick: haven't you already used Smooth Criminal in another video?
I'm not sure but I seem to recall it in another Dietz video.

--
Rory Parle
http://www.netsoc.dit.ie/~jugsoc/

erik_jernqvist

Dec 20, 2004, 2:45:15 PM12/20/04
Scheisse!
Great beginning, mad, totally mad tricks and very nice ending. Es ist sehr
gut!

Kelhoon

Dec 20, 2004, 5:53:46 PM12/20/04
Mutton wrote:
[SNIP]

> BTW, for anyone using my host (gradzone.com) please let me know what the
> speeds are like and where you are downloading from.
>
> - Andrew

Downloading now (32% complete) at 118 Kb/s from Christchurch, New Zealand.
8-D

Cheers,

Kelhoon

jugglerguy

Dec 20, 2004, 11:04:06 PM12/20/04
Wow. That's about the most intelligent thing I can say right now since my
jaw is resting on the floor.
Can I preorder the DVD right now?

Rob

jugglingcoco

Dec 21, 2004, 12:17:16 AM12/21/04
O my god my jaw was dropped the whole time. Ive only been juggling for 2
years and i have a solid 4 ball and working on 5 but thats insane. I have
to agree with the earlyer post thank god for boredom. I love juggling not
sure what i would do without it o man i cant wait until i can get up to 7
balls and 5 clubs might take a while but im going to keep trying!

Mark Probst

Dec 21, 2004, 12:48:50 AM12/21/04
On 2004-12-21 05:04:06 +0100, abr...@mac.com.nospam (jugglerguy) said:

> Can I preorder the DVD right now?

Since we don't even have a price for it yet, no. But we'll let the
world know as soon as we have anything definite.

Thanks and bye
Mark

Drew522

Dec 21, 2004, 7:48:54 AM12/21/04
Wow.
That double blind ass catch, is really amazing.
And the rest of the video is fantactic too.
I like the silly bit about time travel too.

I notice that the quality keeps getting better,
thats great
Thankyou for all the videos in the series
and good luck with the DVD.

Drew

Hexagonic

Dec 21, 2004, 8:07:59 AM12/21/04
Wow indeed. It's real nice to see someone do so many tricks with 5 clubs.
Looking forward to seeing the dvd when it comes out, Big thanks to Schani
and Thomas for putting their stuff online for free, nice to see...

I see Thomas is very good at poi, like me.

Will

Codfish

Dec 21, 2004, 8:49:46 AM12/21/04
Wooowwwww, amazing tricks, the 5 clubs in single throw is really
impressive, I could not imagine that to be possible before...

And, what is the trick around 7:40 with 6 clubs :-0 ?

Fred

peterb

Dec 21, 2004, 9:47:24 AM12/21/04
wow, great video!

einfach unglaublich...absolut genial!
Peter

erik_jernqvist

Dec 21, 2004, 11:18:29 AM12/21/04
Rory Parle wrote:

> Fantastic, hilarious, etc.
> One nitpick: haven't you already used Smooth Criminal in another video?
> I'm not sure but I seem to recall it in another Dietz video.

That's Thomas Dietz Video #2, together with some silly song from Monty
Python and the Alex F theme (from "Hollywood cop").

Little Paul

Dec 21, 2004, 11:22:07 AM12/21/04
On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 16:18:29 +0000, erik_jernqvist wrote:

> That's Thomas Dietz Video #2, together with some silly song from Monty
> Python and the Alex F theme (from "Hollywood cop").

Shirly you mean "Beverly Hills Cop" http://tinyurl.com/5v8lx

-Paul

Jay Linn

Dec 21, 2004, 11:38:42 AM12/21/04

... not to mention Axel F - that's A-X-E-L F - show a little respect
to a great composer. Oh, hang on a minute ...

--
Jay Linn

Contents (greatest first): Facts, speculation, flim-flam,
misconceptions, flippancy, canards, lies, red herrings, tysop.

Alan Morgan

Dec 21, 2004, 1:06:00 PM12/21/04
In article <41c7b942$0$26176$3b21...@tunews.univie.ac.at>,

How about now?

Alan
--
Defendit numerus

Lurch

Dec 21, 2004, 1:12:35 PM12/21/04
Mark Probst wrote:

> Have fun with Thomas Dietz Video #10, and please remember: Our most
> valued reward is your feedback, so keep it coming! :-)
>
> bye
> Mark

What is all the footage of Thomas performing on stage in a WJF shirt? Were
those promotional shows? And, are there any more Poi stunts?

staticjuggler

Dec 21, 2004, 6:27:51 PM12/21/04
Awesome!!!!! I loved it :-)

The random time travel bit was the best.

Static

**Points at computer monitor, and yells "OOOOOOOOOT"