The wimpy pattern... (repost for JIS)

Bruce G. Tiemann

Oct 12, 1994, 1:59:33 PM10/12/94

...is my submission for the name of the even numbers, crossing
pairs pattern. I call it that not because most people find it easier than
any of the real patterns (half shower, and synch and asych fountains) but
rather from how it looks.

This isn't really on the thread, but I've found that those
grounding wrist straps, used in static control worksations, are the best
way *I've* found to limit *my* potential. **Please note that I am not
advocating that you try them yourself!! No flames please!**

-boppo

.sig delurking inexplicably

Victor Leonard

Oct 14, 1994, 3:40:59 AM10/14/94
George A. Strain (acm...@gsusgi2.Gsu.EDU) wrote:
: Bruce G. Tiemann (bo...@cco.caltech.edu) wrote:

: : ...is my submission for the name of the even numbers, crossing

: : pairs pattern. I call it that not because most people find it easier than
: : any of the real patterns (half shower, and synch and asych fountains) but
: : rather from how it looks.

: : -boppo

: I too used to think this pattern (which I have always called the
: "center cross," yes I know that seems a bit redundant) was a wimpy pattern.
: I think it is by far the easiest way to do even numbers. And for a long time
: after I had learned to do it fairly solid with 6 (ie runs over 1 minute) I
: swore it off entirely to work on the fountain. That is until I saw Bruce S.
: jamming with it at Burlington. I'm sorry, but watching Bruce's 8 and 10 ball
: center crosses, the pattern looked anything but "wimpy." Maybe if we just
: qualify it and call the 6 ball version the "wimpy pattern." That I could
: go along with :>

: - George Strain
: acm...@gsusgi2.gsu.edu

Well, I got 50 catches for the first time with 6 balls with the "wimpy
pattern". I was ecstactic. Unfortunately I was doing this at work when
I was supposed to be working :-/

jim
vleo...@infinet.com
.sig feeling pretty damn proud of myself!

George A. Strain

Brian Milner

Oct 13, 1994, 9:39:19 AM10/13/94
From: bo...@cco.caltech.edu (Bruce G. Tiemann)

> ...is my submission for the name of the even numbers, crossing
>pairs pattern. I call it that not because most people find it easier than
>any of the real patterns (half shower, and synch and asych fountains) but
>rather from how it looks.

I saw Haggis trying this pattern with 8 small yellow beanbags in the Big top
at Bristol. It looks nice :-)

--
==Brian Milner, The Computer Centre, Brunel University, West London, UK====
=======WWW Home page - http://http2.brunel.ac.uk:8080/~ccusbdm/ ===========

Nathan Hoover

Oct 13, 1994, 2:58:53 PM10/13/94

George, I had the same experience as you (except I can only do wimpy 6 for 35
catches or so.) Watching Bruce was great! I don't think *any* 8-or-greater
ball pattern should be called wimpy.

Well, it's lunchtime now - time to go practice my wimpy 6 some more...

--
Nathan Hoover nat...@hal.com 408-379-7000x1331 Campbell, CA, USA
<A href="http://www.hal.com/~nathan/">Click here to see my home page.</A>

Message has been deleted

Giocoleria da diporto

Apr 17, 2023, 11:34:49 AM4/17/23

As I already wrote (Message-Id.: <20230225215...@giocoleria.it>), I agree in considering this pattern the least aesthetic, but in any case for uniformity with the other basic even patterns (that’s to say with siteswap’s period 1) and to restore dignity to a pattern that has the only fault of being more ugly to look at, I think it is preferable to call it «*crossing synchronous fountain*», even if the silhouetted figure in the sky inevitably recalls more that of a cascade.

--
Let’ resurrect rec.juggling

Giocoleria da diporto

Apr 17, 2023, 11:58:33 AM4/17/23