Google グループは Usenet の新規の投稿と購読のサポートを終了しました。過去のコンテンツは引き続き閲覧できます。

Looking for a large walking globe in North America

閲覧: 549 回
最初の未読メッセージにスキップ

bspeers

未読、
2002/10/31 17:19:362002/10/31
To:
Okay, I posted a little while back here about making my own globe using a
basic inflated frame and fiberglass. Well, it has come to my realization
that buying one is by far a safer and more reliable choice, considereing
that the difference in cost would not be so great.

Well, I've googled for walking globes, and searched the major venders, but
none seem to sell the larger size. I'm talking about somewhere between 70
and 85 cm (most are 60, which is smaller than I'm interested in).

Can anyone out there direct me to a manufacturer that sells or creates the
larger globes in North America? Anyone willing to sell theirs for a fair
price? I'm hoping not to have to order from Australia or France or some
other place overseas. Thanks a lot to anyone with info.

-B

BrevCamp1

未読、
2002/10/31 17:37:042002/10/31
To:
>Can anyone out there direct me to a manufacturer that sells or creates the
>larger globes in North America?

Cirq O Globe in Montreal will make you a rolling globe in whatever size you
want, I think even up to 120cm or so. All you have to do is ask and be prepared
to wait a while unless they happen to have the size you want in stock, which I
would guess is unlikely.

They are hollow wooden balls, very nicely made and in my opinion they double as
art when they're not being walked around on.

Mine (about 52cm) does additional duty as a coffee table in my home, and it is
indeed a beautiful piece, natural wood finish with big red stars on it.

They can be rather heavy, especially in the larger sizes, and therefore
expensive to ship, but you may be able to talk them into coming to the IJA fest
and delivering it to you there. That's what I did when the fest was in Vermont,
which I guess is considerably closer to Montreal than is Reno.

They are priced by size, but in my opinion, worth every Canadian penny.

Good luck,
Patrick

Bfahs

未読、
2002/10/31 18:03:232002/10/31
To:
>Mine (about 52cm) does additional duty as a coffee table in my home, and it
>is

Must be a bitch to keep your coffee mug on top.

Brian

BrevCamp1

未読、
2002/10/31 20:36:142002/10/31
To:
>>Mine (about 52cm) does additional duty as a coffee table in my home, and it
>>is
>
>Must be a bitch to keep your coffee mug on top.

practice, practice, practice

Patrick

carjug

未読、
2002/10/31 20:57:152002/10/31
bspeers wrote:
> Okay, I posted
> Try talking to some local woodworkers, somebody might want the job and
treat you right, especially if you gave 'em a bit of a show. Making one of
these involves a lot of gluing-up, then pinning a double pivot to the globe
and truing it up with a router- at least that's what I remember reading in an
old edition of Fine Woodworking magazine; post up this question on their
website, surely someone will give you a long winded list of instructions.
The material of choice depends on budget and availability. Good luck.
carjug

Bfahs

未読、
2002/11/01 18:56:302002/11/01
To:
>Well, I've googled for walking globes, and searched the major venders, but
>none seem to sell the larger size. I'm talking about somewhere between 70
>and 85 cm (most are 60, which is smaller than I'm interested in).

Note: I've most often heard these refered to as "Rolling" Globes. A google
search on that turned up a old Jugglers world article that sugests contacting
"The Juggling Arts, 612 Calpella Dr., San Jose, CA 95136." In the article it
references up to a 28" (71 cm) globe. Article found at
http://www.juggling.org/jw/86/4/products.html

Brian Fahs
Aurora, IL

BrevCamp1

未読、
2002/11/01 19:40:132002/11/01
To:
>In the article it
>references up to a 28" (71 cm) globe.

I think Brian Wendling has one of these in fiberglass. He's been a poster
here recently and may have more information.
Brian?

good luck,
Patrick

Brian Wendling

未読、
2002/11/02 0:22:022002/11/02
To:
Yes, I have a 28" fiberglass rolling globe made by a circus performer (he
did a dog act with his family) from Villa Park(?), IL ....he is an elderly
gentleman (by the name of Claude Crumley) and I am not sure if he stills
makes them.....(he made mine about 7-8 years ago, I think....)...he and his
family were most kind to me when I picked it up (it barely fits in the
passenger seat of my Toyota Tercel!)
That's all the info I have...hope it helps...
Brian Wendling
who has always been appreciative for the help others have given me on
rec.juggling.........

bspeers

未読、
2002/11/02 0:25:262002/11/02
To:
> Cirq O Globe in Montreal will make you a rolling globe in whatever size you
> want, I think even up to 120cm or so. All you have to do is ask and be
prepared
> to wait a while unless they happen to have the size you want in stock,

Thanks for the tip.

But...

Can you give any contact information? I couldn't find them on Google at
all.

Roger W. C. Hansen

未読、
2002/11/02 1:40:252002/11/02
To:
In Article <3dc361c5$0$301$bed6...@news.gradwell.net>,
I am not sure about Cirq O Globe, but large wooden balls are available
on the net as "Balance Balls" from Goudurix at http://www.goudurix.com/.
You may change your mind about such a large one after you see their
prices and become familiar with the problems of transporting and handling
something that size with no handles.

Scott Kurland

未読、
2002/11/02 7:42:292002/11/02
To:
> I am not sure about Cirq O Globe, but large wooden balls are available
> on the net as "Balance Balls" from Goudurix at http://www.goudurix.com/.
> You may change your mind about such a large one after you see their
> prices and become familiar with the problems of transporting and handling
> something that size with no handles.

They also sell a plastic 24" one.

BrevCamp1

未読、
2002/11/02 14:10:052002/11/02
To:
>Can you give any contact information?

This info is from some years back, but it's all I have and I'm thinking it
should be of some assistance.

Cirk-o-globe (my previous spelling was incorrect)

Cirk-o-globe
3919 Baie Des Sables
Lac-Megantic, Quebec G6B 1R5
1-819-583-4280

there is also a sales agent listed

Pierre Robert
3706 Joliette
Lac-Megantic, Quebec G6B 2J7
1-819-583-2630

There is a note included in the information I have which says: "On request we
also can make some rolling globe bigger than 30 inches (75 cm), just contact us
for estimation and details."

Just so you know, the 30 inch globe is priced in this brochure at 1200 dollars
Canadian. I think that's in the neighborhood of 800 bucks US.

This brochure also lists a variety of other juggling props which they make
including rola bolas, cigar boxes, devil sticks, mouth sticks and more.

Remember, this is somewhat dated information, but I hope it helps. Also, keep
in mind that these people are French Canadian, whose primary language is
French. It may be helpful if you contact them by phone to have a French speaker
at your disposal.

Once again, hope that helps, and good luck.

Patrick

BrevCamp1

未読、
2002/11/02 14:20:082002/11/02
To:
>You may change your mind about such a large one after you see their
>prices and become familiar with the problems of transporting and handling
>something that size with no handles

Quoting from the Cirk-o-globe bruchure of some years ago: "With the purchase of
a rolling globe, you get these following accessories; one wood transportation
box, one nylon transportation basket and a mini-portative stand made out of
wood."

From my own experience, each of these items is nice to have. The box is
exceptionally well made, with handles on the sides. The basket is made of nylon
webbing and is actually more like a net. It is very useful for carrying the
ball. And the stand simply keeps it from rolling away.

These balls are truly works of art, and you may want to keep that in mind also.
When I want to play, or let others play, we use my Renegade ball, which is much
more "utilitarian" and durable. I use my Cirk-o-globe on carpeting. I use my
Renegade anywhere including grass, concrete, etc.

Cheers,
Patrick

Alan Mackenzie

未読、
2002/11/03 13:35:412002/11/03
To:
bspeers <bsp...@uvic.ca.nospam> wrote on 31 Oct 2002 22:19:36 GMT:
> Okay, I posted a little while back here about making my own globe using
> a basic inflated frame and fiberglass. Well, it has come to my
> realization that buying one is by far a safer and more reliable choice,
> considereing that the difference in cost would not be so great.

> Well, I've googled for walking globes, and searched the major venders,
> but none seem to sell the larger size. I'm talking about somewhere
> between 70 and 85 cm (most are 60, which is smaller than I'm interested
> in).

I actually globe-walk quite frequently on a globe which is somewhat
bigger than the 85cm you mention. Up till now, I haven't fallen off it
even once. :-)

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aa...@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter

Viveca

未読、
2002/11/03 22:22:402002/11/03
To:
Have you tried Conover, aka Custom Built Equipment?
http://www.cbe-circus.com/
In Ohio, and they're great for circus equipment from stock or custom.
Enjoy.
Viveca

"Alan Mackenzie" <no...@example.invalid> wrote in message

jack golden