How much of the population can juggle?

Jason Freidenfelds

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

Does anyone know what percentage of the population (U.S. or world) knows
how to juggle? By "juggle", I mean the ability to complete 6
consecutive catches of 3 balls in a cascade pattern. I recently
completed a campus-wide survey and found that 36% of Harvard students
can juggle, by the strict definition of "juggle".

I've also heard that physicists are more than 4 times as likely to
juggle as the general population. So whoever came up with that
statistic must have some idea what the general percentage is.

Thanks for your help!

--Jason

VivecaGard

Jan 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/14/98

In article <34BC0D7E...@fas.harvard.edu>, Jason Freidenfelds
<jfre...@fas.harvard.edu> writes:

>Does anyone know what percentage of the population (U.S. or world) knows
how
>to juggle?

Bernice Kanner in Are You Normal (no idea how to underline that book title)
says 1 in 4 men and 1 in 10 women. i only have a photocopy of the one page,
which has no source and no base population (i.e., US, world, whatever).

viveca

Brian

Jan 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/15/98

On Tue, 13 Jan 1998 19:57:36 -0500, Jason Freidenfelds
<jfre...@fas.harvard.edu> wrote:

>Does anyone know what percentage of the population (U.S. or world) knows
>how to juggle?

Let's take a poll.

How many people here can juggle? Please reply to this post and we'll
find out how much of the population can!

Brian,

the GREAT statistician!

Borislav Deianov

Jan 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/15/98

Jason Freidenfelds <jfre...@fas.harvard.edu> wrote:

> I've also heard that physicists are more than 4 times as likely to
> juggle as the general population. So whoever came up with that
> statistic must have some idea what the general percentage is.

I just want to mention that all four committee member of the Oxford
University juggling club last year were physicists. I'm not sure what
this means.

Borislav

'Little' Paul

Jan 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/15/98

Most of the active members in the aston Uni Club (ie the regular core of
members) areeither computer scientists or electrical engineers of some
kind, but then we don't have a physics course at Aston...

-Paul
.Sig puts his 4 quids worth in...

Neurofen

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

Oh Great Brian!!

Post a question like how many people on the JIS can juggle. Thats like asking
anyone if they can breathe - well almost!!

Mart - the corrupt official!!

Claire Little

Jan 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/16/98

'Little' Paul wrote:

> Most of the active members in the aston Uni Club (ie the regular core of
> members) areeither computer scientists or electrical engineers of some
> kind, but then we don't have a physics course at Aston...
>
> -Paul
> .Sig puts his 4 quids worth in...

You're right ! I was on the committee of the Loughborough Students
juggling club for 3 years and out of the other 8 people who were
committee with me (with a club that small its very easy to stay in
charge for more than one year), 5 were engineers of assorted varieties
and 3 were computer scientists. It just left me to be a librarian and
spoil the statistics.

Claire

Jennifer Lanski

Jan 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/17/98

Claire Little wrote:

It seems that a majority of people in our club are math or science
people, though not necessarily engineers or computer scientists. I
screw up the trend though, being an artist. Interesting, don't you
think, that Claire and I are the non-science people and also _happen_ to
be female. This is just a theory, but statistically there are more
males than females in the sciences, so if somehow science people are
more inclined to juggle, that could explain part of the gender imbalance
in juggling. Interestingly enough, our club has gone from predominantly
male to mainly female in the past year.

(and this is a ridiculous place to have a survey...), NOT ENOUGH. I
think the world would be a better place if everyone could juggle, imho.

-Jennifer

Ian Blackburn

Jan 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/17/98

Yeah, our club is overwhelmingly populated with white, middle-class, male
computer types in our 20s and 30s.

Maybe it's the analytical aspect -- "Let's see, how can I do this?" "Let's
see, how can we make this pattern work with five people?"
Just an idle theory.

>(and this is a ridiculous place to have a survey...),

I think he was joking. :)

-Ian

To reply via e-mail, ROT-13 my address.

jip

Jan 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/18/98

Jennifer Lanski wrote:

> Claire Little wrote:
>
> > > Most of the active members in the aston Uni Club
> > > (ie the regular core of members) areeither computer
> > > scientists or electrical engineers of some
> > > kind, but then we don't have a physics course at Aston...
> > >

> I screw up the trend though, being an artist. Interesting,
> don't you think, that Claire and I are the non-science people
> and also _happen_ to be female.
> This is just a theory, but statistically there are more males
> than females in the sciences, so if somehow science people
> are more inclined to juggle, that could explain part of the
> gender imbalance in juggling.

I am a female who juggles and I'm going to studie astronomy next year,
but I want to become and illustrator. Am I the missing link :o)

Love
jip
--
jip's tip: The Fifth Element, Contact, Enemy mine, THX-1138, Alien,
Star Trek, 12 Monkeys, MIB, Starship Troopers, Independence Day.

°
http://jip.mypage.org/ ° °
http://jipje.mypage.org/ |_o_/
http://www.dse.nl/balans/ ¥
mailto:ji...@geocities.com #
------------------------------------------------\\---------------------
WARNING: Because I am dyslexic, spelling errors may occur in my
writing. I hope this doesn't annoy you, but if it does you can always
mail me the correction.

'Little' Paul

Jan 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/19/98

Ian Blackburn wrote:

> Maybe it's the analytical aspect -- "Let's see, how can I do this?" "Let's
> see, how can we make this pattern work with five people?"

or theres the "I can almost do it with my right hand, lets try both
hands at once!"

or am I the only peorson who thinks that way and ends up looking _very_
stupid?

-Paul
.Sig tries both hands at once to start with

Simone Davalos

Jan 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/21/98

On Sun, 18 Jan 1998, jip wrote:

> Jennifer Lanski wrote:

> > I screw up the trend though, being an artist. Interesting,
> > don't you think, that Claire and I are the non-science people
> > and also _happen_ to be female.
> > This is just a theory, but statistically there are more males
> > than females in the sciences, so if somehow science people
> > are more inclined to juggle, that could explain part of the
> > gender imbalance in juggling.
> >

> I am a female who juggles and I'm going to studie astronomy next year,
> but I want to become and illustrator. Am I the missing link :o)

I am neither a scientist or an artist, and I juggle, and I am also
female. Whoo-Hoo! I am the end result!

(oh dear god that frightens me)

Simone
@----->--------- @------>-------- @------->---------@-------->-----------

So, what's the speed of dark?

Simone Pilar Davalos oYo KSC SR YPMB YAGS YAS FDA 5th Humour

MnPSharkey

Jan 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/26/98

Simone Davalos <sp...@pantheon.yale.edu>
Date: Wed, Jan 21, 1998 1:34 PM

On Sun, 18 Jan 1998, jip wrote:

>> I am a female who juggles and I'm going to studie astronomy next year,
>> but I want to become and illustrator. Am I the missing link :o)
>>

> I am neither a scientist or an artist, and I juggle, and I am also
>female. Whoo-Hoo! I am the end result!

>(oh dear god that frightens me)

>Simone

Expect offers of marriage to begin filling your e-box shortly. :-)
Mike Sharkey
MnPSh...@aol.com

When the only tool you own is a hammer,
every problem begins to resemble a nail. -- Abraham Maslow