newbie(ish) reverse cascade problems

J. B. Cattley

May 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/3/98

Greetings, O Dextrous Ones!

I have a problem with the reverse cascade. I can keep it up in a rather
stilted, ugly-looking lopsided version, but if I try to round it out with
nice wide even throws, I get collisions at ten o'clock or two o'clock. For
some reason, the balls share the same trajectory. If I try to fiddle the
timing to avoid this, I end up with one side getting lower and flatter,and
the other side almost straight up and reach for it. Not good.

I also get the flattening thing if I try to just send one side over. A nasty
little curl, with barely enough time to catch the incoming.

Anyone else briefly flick through this in their early juggling days? If so,
was it just natural superiority that got you past it, or is there perhaps
some method that a mere mortal might pursue to overcome this failing?

TIA,

jbc

Ronald de Man

May 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/4/98

>Greetings, O Dextrous Ones!

>TIA,

>jbc

Hmmm, I assume you are juggling 3 balls. If you get collisions at
ten and two, it looks to me like you're throwing way too early. Try to
throw the ball right before you catch the other. The balls will
pass immediately without possibility of collision. For me throwing
and catching is just one movement. Of course I've had your problem
too when I was learning three. Actually, I learned the reverse
cascade first, although the non-juggling friend that showed me
the idea of a cascade told me I was supposed to throw inside.
Oh, and the only thing that got me past the problems was practice.

Ronald

Sander van Rijnswou

May 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/6/98

J. B. Cattley wrote:

> I have a problem with the reverse cascade.

You should try to learn more three-ball tricks. Can you do
Jugglers Tennis for instance? It's a fun pattern and it builds
skills.

Take two beanbags and a Tennis ball. Now juggle an ordinary
Cascade but when you throw the tennis ball throw it over the top
(ie over the other two balls). So you're doing reverse type throws
with one ball and ordinary throws with the others. If you
perform it right (thats the word, perform it!) it looks like
two balls form a 'net' and the tennis ball is going back and
forth like in a boring tennis game.

You probably get a much better description if you do a search
on

www.juggling.org

Other things to try are trowing under the arm, clawing, windmill etc.

Remember practise often, you need only work a few minutes on each
trick every day to get it solid.

Happy juggling,

Sander