Bungay 2007 - Review

Parit

May 29, 2007, 6:06:54 AM5/29/07
I am still smiling this morning as I recall memories of Bungay, so decided
to write them all down while they are still lingering in my mind – All in
all, it was an absolutely brilliant convention and I had a blast – Managed
to do a fair bit of juggling / table tennis / badminton, learn and play
lots and lots of cool card / board games, get to know so many interesting
people and generally exist for 10 days soing / playing random things...
Massive thanks to Charlie and Alex (and lots of others) for making it such
a good one.

Ok, here goes for the long version…

Highlights

One of the highlights was, strangely enough, the juggling (!) - I was so
happy to finally get plenty of time to juggle and not be plagued by wrist
injury, and managed to get in some practice most mornings. On the Thursday
morning, it was going particularly well and I managed to get my best runs
of 5 and 7 rings. I then picked up 8 and thought I would give it a try
although I didn’t expect much. However, after several agonisingly close
attempts, I managed to gather an 8 ring flash for the first time ever!
Just after the flash, I discovered that Stevoid had captured the moment on
video – thanks!!

There was another erm, unforgettable moment. This was on the morning of
the last Sunday (the Sunday after the show), soon after we had just put
the finishing touches to an art-attack type monument made of juggling
props. (Virtually all the credit for this structure goes to Dan). Someone
(quite possibly me) had the *bright* idea of “club – passing” – which
involved both of us running at it from opposing directions and jumping
over the structure made of clubs simultaneously, thus creating a nice
photo opportunity. Having discussed the strategy (you go right, I go
left…), we took a run up and decided to go for this Kodak moment…. Just
after we had both launched ourselves, we had a split second to realise
something wasn’t right before the head-on collision – “D’oh – my Right IS
your Left” (!) I think Brie did capture this on camera, look forward to
seeing the picture!

Highs – lots!
- Managing to get a decent juggling practice most days, which meant that
my juggling level improved – yay!
- Meeting and getting to know so many interesting people – Hope to see you
all again at another convention
- Table Tennis with Rob, Paul, Gary, Ian and others – I had forgotten how
much I like table tennis
- Badminton with Flo, who made me run lots and lots…
- Scrabble with Lynn, Gary, Stevoid, Alan and lots of others – It was a
long long time since I last played scrabble but I really enjoyed it
- Being taught Backgammon by Alice (Thanks!) – I had wanted to learn this
for a while...
- Set (!) and discovering that Helen (Cambridge) is really good at set!
- Lots and lots of other random games – Groo, funny german killing game
involving insane gardeners, trax, poker, tok, exploding cow…
- I can't forget the fantastic veggie catering - really good meals just
happened to be there when I was hungry... :-)Oh, and I know know what a
Banoffe pie is (!)

Low
- I suppose the weather wasn’t great towards the end - I heard runours
that it rained more than 2 inches on sunday(!) – It was a bit cold and the
inside of the tent got wet (from underneath), but it didn’t seem to dampen
my spirits too much. Was glad to have flo’s company when it was cold and
wet and help to take down sorry tent was also much appreciated.
- left wrist (tendon) hurt towards the end, but I wasn’t unhappy as I had
gotten in plenty of juggling by then… (unlike the british when the wrist
hurt at the start).

Goal
I didn’t have explicit goals apart from getting better with rings, which I
was really pleased to achieve. It was nice to meet people and also to
bring a friend to experience the juggling world. I wish I had taken more
pictures / clips for memories, but I am hoping lots of others have and
that they shall make it to the BBU archive…

Crush
*secret*

Bane
Nope. (!)

Once again, big thank you to Charlie and Alex for organising the
convention and also lots of others for helping to make it such a wonderful
experience. It was my first Bungay, hopefully first of many...

Parit - Soon about to wake up and find himself in the real world...