270 WIN which manufacturer?

N. Saravanan

Jul 27, 1992, 11:25:17 AM7/27/92
Hello,

This is a rather boring message for some. So please bear with me.
Last year I went hunting for the first time and had a wonderful
experience (thanks to the excellent suggestions and encouragement I
received from the people in this group).
As I was not sure if I would really like hunting, I borrowed
a rifle (30-30 lever action, as suggested by quite
a few people in this group).

Now that I know that I would like to go hunting this season,
I have decided to purchase a hunting rifle. Based on what I have
read in this group, I am inclined towards the .270 caliber
(eventhough my hunting partners insist that 30-06 is a better
all around rifle). As I have decided to get a rifle
in this caliber (0.270 WIN, unless someone out there convinces
me otherwise), I am faced with the choice of choosing from at least
4 different manufacturers (in my price range).
I would therefore appreciate any comments
>from the owners of rifles from these manufacturers (both pros and
cons). The models I am considering are:

(1) Browning A-bolt
(a) Hunter series
(b) Stalker Series: Is the extra cost justified. The only
hunting I have done is in Missouri.
(2) Ruger 77 Mark II Bolt Action.
(3) Remington Model 700
(a) ADL, BDL.
(b) Mountain Rifle: Is this better because it is lighter. I am
not heavily built.
(c) AS : Is the composite stock better than classic wood.
(4) Winchester Model 70 bolt Action Rifle.

I would also appreciate suggestions on how to choose
the right size (stock length) and weight (the rifle) to suit ones
build.

Sorry if my posting in not clear. I would appreciate
if you could e-mail your responses to me (the news server here is
pretty flaky).

Thanks for your time and thanks in advance.

Regards,

Saravan.

* N.Saravan * Part-time Engineer and Full-Time Fisherman ---------*
* sar...@amber.me.fau.edu *-----------------------------------------------------*
* sar...@shark.cs.fau.edu * Live SIMPLY,so that others may simply LIVE ---------*

John Clifford

Jul 30, 1992, 11:18:40 AM7/30/92
I would recommend that you look at the Winchester M70 Super Grade in
.270, if at all possible. While these rifles list at $995, I've seen
them around here for $650 -- $700 and for that price they are a bargain.

The Super Grades share the best features of the pre-'64 Model 70s
(non-rotating claw extractor, controlled round feeding, excellent
adjustable trigger) and the newer Model 70s (bolt guide in lug for
smoother bolt travel and no binding during hurried reloading, perhaps
the best stock design on an over-the-counter rifle today, and excellent
workmanship and materials). I own one of these rifles, in .338
Winchester Magnum, and it shoots 1" groups with Federal Premium factory
loads. I also own a pre-'64 in .30-'06 which is a great rifle, but to
be honest I think the new Super Grades are perhaps a touch _better_ --
I know the stock design is far better.

For hunting North American big game, I think I'd choose the .30-'06
over the .270 if my quarry tended to be on the large side (mule deer,
elk, caribou, bears) and/or if I wanted the flexibility offered by
factory ammo (55 grain saboted .223 caliber bullets @ 4100 fps up to
220 grains, including solids, for big and dangerous game). You can't
go wrong with the .30-'06. But the .270, which is based on the '06
case, is also a fine caliber.

I have a couple of Ruger M77s, a Mark II and the first generation. For
the price they're good, but I mainly bought them because I didn't want
to beat up my Model 70 in '06 while deer hunting for days in the rain.
Rugers are inconsistent in accuracy -- one of my rifles does well to
shoot around 1 1/2" while the other is a tack driver. The triggers are
also variable and hard for the user (even a relatively experienced one)
to adjust satisfactorily without resorting to gunsmithing (the Mark II
triggers are decent, if a little heavy, but are not adjustable -- you
get what the rifle came with). Considering that M77s go for around
$525 or so in this neck of the woods, I'd spend the extra $150 or so
and get the Winchester.

The Remington M700 and it's ilk (M7) are generally very accurate
rifles. I don't know of many people who complain about the groups they
shoot with a Remington. They have a good trigger mechanism that, if
unsatisfactory out of the box, can be adjusted. The Winchester M70
(not the Super Grades) are also generally very accurate and well made.
Make your choice between the regular Winchester and the Remington based
upon which one you like better -- they're both good rifles. IMO, the
M70s have nicer stocks (wood quality, stock styling/fit, and finish)
than the 700 BDLs, but the metalwork seems to be equivalent. If the
design (no claw extractors, button ejectors) of these bolt actions
don't bother you, then I would probably buy one of these over a Ruger
M77 -- chances are you'll get a more accurate rifle.

The Browning A-Bolt is a near-clone of the Weatherby Mark V action.
They have the advantages of a shorter bolt throw due to 3 lugs instead
of the two on Remington/Winchester/Ruger rifles, and have a very quick
lock time. They are also a very strong action and are able to handle
pressure well (Remington M700s also do well in this department). I
don't know of anyone who owns one and who is dissatisfied with it.

spend a lot of money, go with a Remington, Winchester (not Super
Grade), Ruger, or Savage 110. If you want to spend just a _little_
more, go with the higher grades of these rifles or a Browning A-Bolt.
If you really want a rifle, one that will _appreciate_ in value if well
taken care of, if you like things of quality, buy a Super Grade.

John Clifford
Developer, Applications
Microsoft Corporation

Disclaimer: I speak for me, Bill speaks for Microsoft.

pfei...@nmsu.edu

Jul 30, 1992, 11:27:56 AM7/30/92
sar...@amber.me.fau.edu (N. Saravanan) writes:

This is a rather boring message for some. So please bear with me.
Last year I went hunting for the first time and had a wonderful
experience (thanks to the excellent suggestions and encouragement I
received from the people in this group).
As I was not sure if I would really like hunting, I borrowed
a rifle (30-30 lever action, as suggested by quite
a few people in this group).

This sounds exactly like my first season -- right down to the borrowed
30-30!

Now that I know that I would like to go hunting this season,
I have decided to purchase a hunting rifle. Based on what I have
read in this group, I am inclined towards the .270 caliber
(eventhough my hunting partners insist that 30-06 is a better
all around rifle). As I have decided to get a rifle
in this caliber (0.270 WIN, unless someone out there convinces
me otherwise), I am faced with the choice of choosing from at least
4 different manufacturers (in my price range).
I would therefore appreciate any comments
from the owners of rifles from these manufacturers (both pros and
cons). The models I am considering are:

Also the caliber I got.

(1) Browning A-bolt
(a) Hunter series
(b) Stalker Series: Is the extra cost justified. The only
hunting I have done is in Missouri.
(2) Ruger 77 Mark II Bolt Action.
(3) Remington Model 700
(a) ADL, BDL.
(b) Mountain Rifle: Is this better because it is lighter. I am
not heavily built.
(c) AS : Is the composite stock better than classic wood.
(4) Winchester Model 70 bolt Action Rifle.

I am extremely happy with my Remington BDL. I got it for a bit under
$400, and got a detachable magazine and a Simmons 3-10x44 scope for
it. The one I got had no recoil pad (more on that in a minute).

What can I say? It'll put 5 shots into 1.5" at 100 yds, and I suspect
1/2" of that is my fault. I don't really know how it'll compare
against the others you mentioned; I looked at the Ruger and the
Winchester before buying mine; mine was selected on the basis of its
monte carlo stock and lack of recoil pad.

I would also appreciate suggestions on how to choose
the right size (stock length) and weight (the rifle) to suit ones
build.

I didn't find this question to be one I could do much about.
Basically, they all seemed to have the same stock length, which was
too short for me. This was the advantage of the lack of recoil pad:
I got an extra 1/2" with the pad, which made the rifle long enough.

The ``standard'' way to calculate the appropriate stock length is to
hold your hand in more-or-less shooting position; with the trigger
in position, the end of the stock should nestle in the crook of your elbow.

The real way is, if it feels too short or too long, it is.

One last note, I seem to be in a minority about that scope -- it's
great to look through, but if I had it to do over again I'd get
something less bulky.

-Joe.

Jeff Williams/COMM

Aug 3, 1992, 4:01:10 PM8/3/92

> (1) Browning A-bolt
> (a) Hunter series
> (b) Stalker Series: Is the extra cost justified. The only
> hunting I have done is in Missouri.
> (2) Ruger 77 Mark II Bolt Action.
> (3) Remington Model 700
> (a) ADL, BDL.
> (b) Mountain Rifle: Is this better because it is lighter. I am
> not heavily built.
> (c) AS : Is the composite stock better than classic wood.
> (4) Winchester Model 70 bolt Action Rifle.
>
>I am extremely happy with my Remington BDL. I got it for a bit under
>$400, and got a detachable magazine and a Simmons 3-10x44 scope for
>it. The one I got had no recoil pad (more on that in a minute).

Another very good buy in the .270 thats usually readily available is a
used Remington Model 721 (predecessor to the 700's) - its very similar
to the 700 and just as good (other than a very plain stock)
- these can be had for about $250 or $300 in good condition...

-BJW

paulbo...@gmail.com

Feb 5, 2017, 7:21:40 PM2/5/17
Browning A-Bolt in 0.270 win. are tack drivers. Very versatile caliber. Plus every hunting supply store gas stations have boxes of amo for a reasonable price.