How much does it cost to mount a Duck?

TF

Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00
How much should it cost to get a Drake Mallard mounted? I was thinking a
flying mount on a board that hangs on a wall. Also how long can I keep the
bird in the freezer before I get it stuffed.
TF

Visit the rec.hunting and rec.hunting.dogs FAQ Home Page at:
http://sportsmansweb.com/hunting/

David French

Jan 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/14/00
Last Jan. I had a Wood duck drake mounted by a well known
taxidermist, who has won numerous trophies for his work. He charged me
$125.řř , the only difference between a standard mount, which I
received, and a compition mount is the eyes. The compition eyes caust
quite a bit more and I couldn't see that much difference. My mount
turned out fabulous. In november I brought in a pair of Wood ducks, the
price was still 125.00 a piece.
You should check w/ your taxedermist about
how long can remain frozen, alot depends on how you froze it. Air and
moisture can effect how long it will last.
Fellow Nimrod...

timF

Jan 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/14/00
depends on if the wife catches you

Kevin Hall

Jan 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/14/00
"TF" <gian...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:01bf5d8f$0cce0cc0$11c219d0@tony...

> How much should it cost to get a Drake Mallard mounted? I was thinking a
> flying mount on a board that hangs on a wall. Also how long can I keep the
> bird in the freezer before I get it stuffed.

The bird will keep for about a year -- if properly protected -- in the freezer. My taxidermist recommends wrapping the bird in
newspaper, then sealing inside a ziploc bag.

The cost can range from $25 (absolutely rock-bottom price) to about $200 (Museum grade work). It is hard to find a *good*
taxidermist for birds (of any species). Take a look at *every* one in a 100 mile range, then pick the one with the most *natural*
looking mounts.

:-) Enjoy the Hunt!

--

Kevin Hall in Central Florida
Part-time Fishing/Hunting Guide

Curtis A. Meurer

Jan 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/15/00
TF <gian...@hotmail.com> asked:

>How much should it cost to get a Drake Mallard mounted? I was thinking a
>flying mount on a board that hangs on a wall. Also how long can I keep the
>bird in the freezer before I get it stuffed.

I had a beautiful drake black duck mounted 2 years ago and it cost me $235.
I could have had it mounted for as little as $145 but I went with quality.
Before you go agree to a price you should see samples of the Taxidermist's
quality for that type of game (feathers, fish, or fur). A bargain price is
not worth it when you have a dumpy looking mount (like my infamous smiling
constipated bobcat!!). I know that a properly stored and frozen duck
(place head first in pantyhose to hold feathers in place) will store at
least 6 months while you save the extra $$$ to afford a good mount.

Curtis Meurer

Brian M. Crawford

Jan 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/15/00
I also had a wood duck mount done for $125 a few years ago. A flying
mount would cost a little more, I would guess.

DWP933

Jan 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/15/00
I can recommend two good ones!

Dana Sanford in Atlanta area

Edward Harden 912 226-3253 in Thomasville GA does great work.
dwp...@aol.com

Hunter

Jan 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/16/00
Giles Taxidermy,Scott Giles is one of
the best I have ever seen.He is National
Certified and does Professional Award
Winning Work!
749 Black Snake Rd.
Easley SC 29640
864-859-0300

NRA Life Member

Dan

Jan 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/17/00
LOL! I'm sorry....but when I read the subject line the first thing that
popped into my head was a truly sophomoric joke. Something along the lines
of: "When did ducks start charging for it?" ;-)

Apologeticaly yours,

Dan

X-Ring

Jan 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/17/00
Here in Michigan a flying mount as you described ranges from $145-$250, I've
been getting the $145 jobs and they look very nice on the wall. They are
mounted on a piece of driftwood with fake cat tails behind it. The only
time someone can see the difference between mine and a $250 mount is when
they are both in your hands and you are carfully inspecting them.
As far as storeage... Check with your local wildlife management (DNR) you
may only have 30 days after the end of season, for a taxidermist to legally
except your bird. Or you have to wait untill the next season. If this is
the case, wrap your bird with several layers of news paper (pay specific
attention to its feet & eyes, they get freezer burned easily) then in
plastic. I typically use a entire section of news paper, then a large
ziplock bag, then wrap the whole thing in a garbage bag. Kept a Green
Winged Teal & a Greenhead for over a year with no problem. Good Luck!

>How much should it cost to get a Drake Mallard mounted? I was thinking a
>flying mount on a board that hangs on a wall. Also how long can I keep the
>bird in the freezer before I get it stuffed.

>TF

Paul Sandhu

Jan 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/17/00
A bargain price is
> not worth it when you have a dumpy looking mount (like my infamous smiling
> constipated bobcat!!).

do you have any pictures online of your infamous smiling constipated bobcat?
from the description, it sounds rather funny.

Paul

Jeff C

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00
On Mon, 17 Jan 2000 17:25:32 -0600, X-Ring <x-r...@netexp.com> wrote:

>From: TF <gian...@hotmail.com>

>>How much should it cost to get a Drake Mallard mounted? I was thinking a
>>flying mount on a board that hangs on a wall. Also how long can I keep the
>>bird in the freezer before I get it stuffed.
>>TF

I had a drake mallard mounted two years ago in NC. It cost me $125.

Jeff C

Sorry, but email address disguised due to unscrupulous spammers.
Please respond in Usenet.

dskje...@gmail.com

Dec 10, 2017, 6:41:23 AM12/10/17
Wow, you guys have some dirt cheap taxidermists