night vision monocular

Frank

Jan 19, 2016, 11:53:08 AM1/19/16
Son just gave me a night vision monocular as a late Christmas gift as it
was hung up in shipping.

So now I've got a 1st generation night vision monocular and wonder if
others have found them useful in deer hunting. I read that gen 1 is
nowhere near as good as gen's 2 and 3.

I assume it might be useful in the morning to see what is moving around
in the dark before you can shoot.

Wonder if it is useful blood trailing in the dark or seeing deer coming
out just prior to the end of shooting time?

Murff

Jan 19, 2016, 7:22:12 PM1/19/16
On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 19:22:28 -0500, Frank wrote:

> Son just gave me a night vision monocular as a late Christmas gift as it
> was hung up in shipping.

> Wonder if it is useful blood trailing in the dark or seeing deer coming
> out just prior to the end of shooting time?

Not deer - apart from anything else the law here makes it illegal to hunt
deer "after the hours of darkness", without a special permit. An anti-
poaching measure. Also it is a photomultiplier - whilst it is sensitive
in the IR it isn't a thermal imager: the ranges at which deer would be
observed are typically too great for a handheld (I've an old Yukon one)
to be much use.

It is useful for shorter-range quarry like rabbit or hare.

Also, whilst top-end photomultipliers are very good, they're also very
pricey. In terms of price/performance, CCD-based solutions perform pretty
well. I use a Yukon Photon riflescope - again on rabbit and hare (it is
on a .22LR carbine) though I'm aware that some have had success with
them, on fox.

Frank

Jan 24, 2016, 9:10:19 AM1/24/16
I don't intend to shoot off hours and usually leave 10 minutes before
the end of shooting time.

But very often, I've shot a deer near the end of shooting time and had
to blood trail in the dark. Wonder if monocular would be useful in
looking for shot deer.

Also I might linger to the end of shooting time if a deer is coming in.
Older with early AMD am having shadow in dominant right eye and wonder
if monocular would help.

dayann...@gmail.com

Jan 31, 2016, 6:06:57 PM1/31/16
I got mine from ATN ( http://www.atncorp.com/night-vision-monoculars , based on digital technology, of course ) and yep, it´s a very helpful device. I checked it at the latest bear hunt, and can´t wait next legal deer hunt in March to try it out again.

Frank

Feb 7, 2016, 10:37:51 PM2/7/16
On 1/31/2016 9:38 AM, dayann...@GMAIL.COM wrote:
> I got mine from ATN ( http://www.atncorp.com/night-vision-monoculars , based on digital technology, of course ) and yep, it´s a very helpful device. I checked it at the latest bear hunt, and can´t wait next legal deer hunt in March to try it out again.

Looks like a higher generation unit. Hear they are far superior but I
have no way to compare for myself.

Season is over so I will have to wait until next year to field test mine.