maximum range for T/C Hawken 50 caliber muzzleloader w/370 grain Lyman maxi-ball ?

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Dec 31, 2007, 12:12:08 PM12/31/07
this year I have taken the time to hunt the late muzzleloader deer
season here in Pa.- using a T/C Hawken 50 cal flintlock

last night I loaded up 6 speed shells using 370 grain maxi-ball and
Pyrodex- powder charge is equivalent to volume of 90 grains
blackpowder (basically top off the speed shell after putting in the
maxi-ball). Muzzle velocity is around 1600 fps.

what's maximum effective range ? by perusing the load data books, and
online velocity/energy calculators, it looks to be around a 100-125 yd
deal

opinions ? has anyone taken deer-sized game or larger that far out
with muzzleloader ?

ps- we have to use flintlock ignition, and iron sights- no scopes, no
inlines

Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers

Jan 1, 2008, 10:02:27 AM1/1/08
"Dwight D. Eisenhower" <rotte...@YAHOO.COM> wrote in message

My son and I shoot percussion cap sidelock muzzleloaders. We prefer .54
caliber and patched round balls, getting good flight with them and the
larger ball puts a deer down quickly. Several years ago, we went to Quebec
on a caribou hunt, taking archery equipment and the muzzleloaders. In
preparation for this trip, we spent time working up good loads and
practicing extensively at ranges longer than we would usually shoot here in
Wisconsin for whitetails. We found that the rifle he was using seemed to
shoot well with 110 grains of Pyrodex and mine shot better with 105 grains.

We found the animals to be harder to stalk than we thought they'd be and
decided to leave the bows in camp and try the muzzleloaders. Jim took his
bull at 180 yards and I shot mine at 150, both rifles have open sights.
This was done with extensive practice, a good knowledge of the weapon, and a
solid rest.

It can be done, but requires the willingness to spend hours at the range. I
wouldn't try to use an open sighted smokepole beyond 200 yards however.
--
Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers
http://www.outdoorfrontiers.com

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Jan 1, 2008, 11:38:11 AM1/1/08
On Jan 1, 10:02 am, "Steve @ OutdoorFrontiers" <go-
fish...@charter.net> wrote:
> "Dwight D. Eisenhower" <rottedHo...@YAHOO.COM> wrote in messagenews:1c50a090-f526-4ac8...@i29g2000prf.googlegroups.com...
> My son and I shoot percussion cap sidelock muzzleloaders.  We prefer .54
> caliber and patched round balls, getting good flight with them and the
> larger ball puts a deer down quickly.  Several years ago, we went to Quebec
> on a caribou hunt, taking archery equipment and the muzzleloaders.  In
> preparation for this trip, we spent time working up good loads and
> practicing extensively at ranges longer than we would usually shoot here in
> Wisconsin for whitetails.  We found that the rifle he was using seemed to
> shoot well with 110 grains of Pyrodex and mine shot better with 105 grains.
>
> We found the animals to be harder to stalk than we thought they'd be and
> decided to leave the bows in camp and try the muzzleloaders.  Jim took his
> bull at 180 yards and I shot mine at 150, both rifles have open sights.
> This was done with extensive practice, a good knowledge of the weapon, and a
> solid rest.
>
> It can be done, but requires the willingness to spend hours at the range.  I
> wouldn't try to use an open sighted smokepole beyond 200 yards however.
> --
> Steve @ OutdoorFrontiershttp://www.outdoorfrontiers.com
> G & S Guide Service and Custom Rodshttp://www.herefishyfishy.com- Hide quoted text -

200 yard shots with a 50 cal round ball would be difficult- the drop
at 200 yd. is over 41"

I thought this over, and my opinion is, I'm going to stick to maximum
point blank range with a 3" radius vital zone, which works out to
about 135 yards for a 300 maxi-ball and 90 grains pyrodex

one issue with my plastic sleeve "speed shells"- they only hold 90
grains pyrodex, with the maxi ball inside taking up a lot of the
space- the round ball would allow more pyrodex in the speed shell

I'm a bit hesistant to use the round ball, based on how its energy
drops off drastically for the 50- of course this is not as much an
issue as your 54, you have more caliber

I also didnt' want to "point blank" sight for 5" vital zone area-
hitting at 5" high or low, just seems like pushing things to me- I
have held high and hit targets before at long range, but holding 40"
high would be a "hail mary" shot.

which begs the question, what range did you zero your guns to, and how
did you hold on those long shots ? a flintlock zeroed at 200 yards,
would be shooting 15"-20" high at 100 yards- enough to shoot right
over a deer at closer range

I'm not doubting your skills and shot history- just want more
details ! a 200 yard shot with a caplock is awesome- thanks for
reply !

tom.f...@1eyevapor.com

Mar 7, 2015, 9:03:03 AM3/7/15
As it has been a good while since you posted I am hoping you have had the time to find the limits of your .50. I have just purchased my first ML rifle and am wanting to dial in my tactics. How far have you pushed it?

Frank

Apr 20, 2015, 9:02:01 AM4/20/15
I know guys with modern in line muzzle loaders with scopes that have
claimed to have taken deer with them at 200 yards.