Accurate .30-06 loads

Tom Muller

Feb 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/19/98

I am having trouble getting an accurate .30-06 hunting load. By
"accurate" I'm talking preferably close to 1" at 100 yds (or at LEAST
better than 2"). I've tried the following basic combinations.

Nosler 150 gr. ballistic tips with 57 or 59 gr. of IMR 4350
Hornady 165 gr. BTSP with 47 gr. IMR 4895
Sierra 168 gr. BTHP (match king) with 47 gr. IMR 4895

I've varied the above combos slightly without any significant effect.
Groups are generally in the 2" range. The Sierra bullet combination gave
outstanding groups, but the bullet really isn't designed for hunting.

How much should I vary the powder? Is 1 gr. too much? Any other
suggestions?

Thanks,

Tom

Visit the rec.hunting and rec.hunting.dogs FAQ Home Page at:
http://sportsmansweb.com/hunting/

To leave the Hunting listserv list, send a message with SIGNOFF HUNTING
in the *body* to list...@listserv.tamu.edu

Alan K. Minga

Feb 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/19/98

On Thursday, February 19, 1998 6:08 AM, Tom Muller [SMTP:Tom.M...@dol.net]
wrote:

> I am having trouble getting an accurate .30-06 hunting load. By
> "accurate" I'm talking preferably close to 1" at 100 yds (or at LEAST
> better than 2"). I've tried the following basic combinations.
>
> Nosler 150 gr. ballistic tips with 57 or 59 gr. of IMR 4350
> Hornady 165 gr. BTSP with 47 gr. IMR 4895
> Sierra 168 gr. BTHP (match king) with 47 gr. IMR 4895
>
> I've varied the above combos slightly without any significant effect.
> Groups are generally in the 2" range. The Sierra bullet combination gave
> outstanding groups, but the bullet really isn't designed for hunting.
>
> How much should I vary the powder? Is 1 gr. too much? Any other
> suggestions?

Nothing wrong with the choice of components.

The short answer is yes a 1 gr variation is too much. Start at the minimum
listed load and work up. Some go as much as .5 grains but I like to work up in
.1 grain increments. I use a lot more powder and bullets in load development
but it does pay off. Working up in 1 grain increments is also dangerous. I've
had loads where it was fine at one level but started to show pressure signs at
the next .1 grain increment.

Regards,

Alan
Alan K. Minga, Ph. D. Phone: 281-465-1555
Senior Applications Consultant Fax: 281-465-1599
NEC Systems Laboratory, Inc. email: ami...@atcc.necsyl.com
4200 Research Forest Drive, Suite 400
The Woodlands, TX 77381

drw

Feb 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/20/98

Tom Muller <Tom.M...@dol.net> wrote in article
<l03102800b11161387e6c@[204.183.91.38]>...

> I am having trouble getting an accurate .30-06 hunting load. By
> "accurate" I'm talking preferably close to 1" at 100 yds

Try a 165grn Ballistic Tip over 55.5 grns of IMR 4350, standard primer. I
have seen this load print sub 1" groups from a Reminton 700 BDL and a Ruger
M77. Outstanding all around deer load.
Start with 54.5 grns of powder and work up in .5 grain increments until
desired accuracy and velocity is realized. It wont be more than .5 grn
away from the above, I'm sure.

Jerry Clark

Feb 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/22/98

I am using IMR-4320 at 48.9 gr. with a Nosler 165 gr. and shooting under 2
inches at 200 yards. Another good load is IMR-4064 at 47.9 gr. with the same
bullet. Both loads seem to work great.

Good Luck,
Jerry

cla...@primenet.com
Live to Hunt
and I love to live!
Tom Muller wrote in message ...

>I am having trouble getting an accurate .30-06 hunting load. By

>"accurate" I'm talking preferably close to 1" at 100 yds (or at LEAST
>better than 2"). I've tried the following basic combinations.
>
>Nosler 150 gr. ballistic tips with 57 or 59 gr. of IMR 4350
>Hornady 165 gr. BTSP with 47 gr. IMR 4895
>Sierra 168 gr. BTHP (match king) with 47 gr. IMR 4895
>
>I've varied the above combos slightly without any significant effect.
>Groups are generally in the 2" range. The Sierra bullet combination gave
>outstanding groups, but the bullet really isn't designed for hunting.
>
>How much should I vary the powder? Is 1 gr. too much? Any other
>suggestions?
>

>Thanks,
>
>Tom

Bterr

Feb 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/23/98

Try the Sierra 165gr. flat base bullet, Winchester cases, Win. WLR primers, and
Winchester cases. For powder, try WW 760, start with the minimum load in the
Sierra loading manual and work up in .3 grain increments. None of the
non-premium bullets are great for hunting, but the Sierra is very accurate in
all the guns I've used it in. If you still get poor accuracy, it may be that
you need to check the bedding in your rifle, or its bore for chamber erosion,
or your scope.

Good luck.

Don Clarke

Feb 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/23/98

Tom Muller wrote:

> I am having trouble getting an accurate .30-06 hunting load. By
> "accurate" I'm talking preferably close to 1" at 100 yds (or at LEAST
> better than 2"). I've tried the following basic combinations.
>
> Nosler 150 gr. ballistic tips with 57 or 59 gr. of IMR 4350
> Hornady 165 gr. BTSP with 47 gr. IMR 4895
> Sierra 168 gr. BTHP (match king) with 47 gr. IMR 4895
>
> I've varied the above combos slightly without any significant effect.
> Groups are generally in the 2" range. The Sierra bullet combination gave
> outstanding groups, but the bullet really isn't designed for hunting.
>
> How much should I vary the powder? Is 1 gr. too much? Any other
> suggestions?

My Lyman handbook (46th edition) recomends the following loads as the
"potentially most accurate"

150gr SP - IMR 4064 powder starting load 48 grains - maximum load 53
grains (most accurate). I'd suggest starting at 51 grains and working up
.5 grains at a time.

165gr SPBT - IMR 4350 powder starting load 52 grains - maximum load 57
grains (most accurate). This is a "compressed load". Again, I suggest
starting at least two grains less than max and working up .5 grains at a
time.

168gr HPBT - IMR 4064 powder starting load 45 grains - maximum load 50
grains (most accurate). Again, down two grains and work up...

I handload my 30-06 with 180 grain pro-hunters using IMR 4064. Very
accurate in my guns. However, I found out that temperature makes a big
difference when using "max" loads. Ordinarily I load the max 49 grains
and have no signs of overpressure when the temperature is less than
75'F. But last summer I went to the range on a day when the temp was
about 95'F. The primers were flowing back into the firing pin hole on
the bolt ! Needless to say, that batch of ammo was put away for the fall
season. 48 grains loads were tested the next day with no problems...

Hope this helps
Don

KyFishrman

Feb 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/24/98

The powders you mentioned are right there among the top 5 or so for the .30-06,
as are your selections in bullets. My Rem 700 likes 50 grains of 4064 pushing a
165 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. Of course you need to be shooting off bags and
doing everything else right or the best load in the world won't reach 1 MOA,
much less beat it. Good luck!
Mike Jones, Louisville, KY

Lee Olson

Feb 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/24/98

A couple thoughts regarding accurate hunting loads:

Choosing a powder that fills most or all of the case (85% or more)
usually provides better accuracy than those which do not nearly fill the
case, everything else being equal. Most shooters are better off
choosing one powder which meets this criterium and then varying the
charge, bullets, seating depths & finally primers to find accurate
loads.

For 30-06 hunting loads, IMR 4350 is one of the very best choices to
consider for three reasons:

1) It meets the volumetric consideration mentioned above,

2) It produces velocities as good or better than other powders with
bullets of normal hunting weight, and

3) It is less susceptible to pressure variations precipitated by, for
example, hot weather than faster burning powders such as IMR 4064 and
4895.

Another thought is that sub-MOA groups from the bench with a big game
hunting rifle is certainly an achievement and a confidence builder, but
in hunting situations 1-2 MOA is certainly acceptable. For deer and
black bear maximum velocity is not a major concern, but for elk, moose
and big bear 30-06 shooters will usually trade an inch at 100 yards for
higher velocities and premium hunting bullets which usually don't group
as well as match bullets or the sleek but less subsantially constructed
ballistic tips and boattails.

I'll relate a true elk story from two years ago. A friend of mine is an
avid elk hunter and .338 win. mag. shooter. He practices a lot,
sometimes putting 60-80 rounds through the gun in afternoon. His load
is a 250 gr. Barnes X over a full house charge of, if I recall
correctly, RL-22. He does not impress anyone punching paper on the
range. Groups are around 4 inches at 200 yards. The last elk he shot
was paced off at 400 yards or slightly more. One shot, it didn't take a
step. He keeps the trajectory chart taped to the stock and practices
estimating distances and shooting at longer ranges. The point is that
his gun and load equate to about 2 MOA and this is just fine for big
game even at long range.

Mr. Michael T. Imbus

Feb 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/27/98

I've had good accuracy with the following combination:

Hornady 150 gn BTSP
56 gn IMR 4350
CCI 200 primers
Federal cases

My Savage 110 really likes this load, and it is also very effective on
deer size game. Good Luck

Mike

Alan K. Minga

Feb 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/27/98

On Friday, February 27, 1998 10:49 AM, Jack Suriano P.G., P.E., etc, etc
[SMTP:jsur...@mail.wiscnet.net] wrote:
> Tom
>
> My experience has been that you need to seat the bullets out close to
> the lands. This is the only way I can get <0.5 MOA from mine. It even
> works to adjust factory loads by using a kinitec bullet puller to move
> them out a little then seat them back to the proper depth you have
> determined with a Stoney Point AOL or similar tool.

You don't even need the Stoney Point AOL tool you can make your own.

Take a Sized and trimmed case (Unprimed, EMPTY, and of the appropriate
caliber).
Take a Dremel tool, or hacksaw and cut a groove down the neck. The idea here
is to have a neck that will grip the bullet but not firmly. So that it can
move when it's chambered.
Put a bullet of the type you plan to use in the neck but seated just short
enough so it will stay in.
Chamber the round and then CAREFULLY remove and measure the OAL.

Regards,

Alan
Alan K. Minga, Ph. D. Phone: 281-465-1555
Senior Applications Consultant Fax: 281-465-1599
NEC Systems Laboratory, Inc. email: ami...@atcc.necsyl.com
4200 Research Forest Drive, Suite 400
The Woodlands, TX 77381

JRMarino1

Feb 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/27/98

Your loads look ok to me. I shoot a 3006 competitively and I only use
IMR 4895 gunpowder. With a 165 grain HPBT Sierra Hunting Bullet or a
168 grain HPBT Match bullet, I get 1/2 minute degree of accuracy at 200
yards with a 45 grain charge. A 47 grain charge should be ok also.
Make sure your sights (or Scope) is on securely and your rifle barrel is
very clean. You can not shoot well with a dirty barrel.

Tim Calvin

Feb 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/28/98

"Alan K. Minga" <mi...@barbeque.hstc.necsyl.com> wrote in part:

>You don't even need the Stoney Point AOL tool you can make your own.

Determining a proper bullet seating depth can be an aid to accuracy,
especially when a popular combination of components has been selected, but
results are disappointing. Seating bullets at some distance close to
engaging the lands usually gives better accuracy than seating bullets more
deeply. My method for determining the maximum overall cartridge length for
a particular bullet in a particular rifle is as follows:

Drop the bullet into the chamber and allow it to seat lightly into the
lands of the barrel. Run a cleaning rod down the barrel from the bore until
it touches the bullet tip. Mark the rod. Then tap out the bullet. Close the
action and reinsert the rod until it touchs the bolt face (make sure the
rifle is cocked so the extended firing pin does not give a false, short
reading). Again mark the rod. The distance between your marks is the
maximum OCL for "that bullet in that rifle". I keep a list of these
measurements for each bullet measured in each rifle. Reducing this OCL will
prevent a chambered round from engaging the lands before firing which could
cause increased pressure. Be aware that many rifles have too long a throat
for this measurement to be of use. In other words, the bullet cannot be
seated far enough out of the cartridge to be close to the lands (especially
very sharply-pointed bullets), or the magazine length won't allow the
extended bullet to fit in the magazine or cycle through the rifle's action.

Knowing the maximum OCL is the starting point for experimentation. Reducing
it .050", so the overall cartridge length allows a .050" bullet jump to
engage the lands, might give good accuracy, but adding or subtracting in
.010" increments might find an even more accurate seating depth.

Tim Calvin <timh...@quiknet.com> NRA Life Member

Richard Barnes

Mar 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/2/98

Try Sierra's 165 Gameking with 4064 powder.

Tom Muller <Tom.M...@dol.net> wrote in article
<l03102800b11161387e6c@[204.183.91.38]>...

> I am having trouble getting an accurate .30-06 hunting load. By
> "accurate" I'm talking preferably close to 1" at 100 yds (or at LEAST
> better than 2"). I've tried the following basic combinations.
>

> Sierra 168 gr. BTHP (match king) with 47 gr. IMR 4895

Customstox

Mar 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/3/98

Your gun may not be capable of 1' groups. Not all are capable of the 1" holy
grail. I spent four days jin a booth a stones throw away from Arnold Arms of
Arlington Washington at the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation "elk camp" in
Portland recently. they have an incredible accuracy package. They will take
your gun, put another thread on your barrel, recut the chamber, lap the bolt
lugs, square the bolt face, cryogenically treat the barrel, surface grind the
recoil lug, free float the barrel, glass bed and guarantee 0.5" 3 shot groups
and have it back to you in 30 days. The cost is $300, not bad for that kind of
results. I can't attest to anyone that has had it done but you can check with
them at www.arnoldarms.com

Chic Worthing
Custo...@aol.com
Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun!

Jonathan M. Spencer

Mar 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/4/98

In article <v01510100b11d7c928bf2@[207.183.241.217]>, Tim Calvin
<timh...@mail2.quiknet.com> writes

>Drop the bullet into the chamber and allow it to seat lightly into the
>lands of the barrel. Run a cleaning rod down the barrel from the bore until
>it touches the bullet tip. Mark the rod. Then tap out the bullet. Close the
>action and reinsert the rod until it touchs the bolt face (make sure the
>rifle is cocked so the extended firing pin does not give a false, short
>reading). Again mark the rod. The distance between your marks is the
>maximum OCL for "that bullet in that rifle".

I suspect this is fairly inaccurate when compared to the RCBS Precision
Mic. They aren't expensive and IMO worth the money.

>Knowing the maximum OCL is the starting point for experimentation. Reducing
>it .050", so the overall cartridge length allows a .050" bullet jump to
>engage the lands, might give good accuracy, but adding or subtracting in
>.010" increments might find an even more accurate seating depth.

There's a second point worth making. Tim's method uses the Cartridge
Overall Length (OAL) which measures from the bullet's tip. But soft
point bullets vary in length due to damage to the bullet's nose. Try
measuring their length from a box of 100. The Precision Mic measures on
the bullet's ogive and the data for any one bullet is transferable to
all other bullets (because the measurement is taken where the ogive is a
given diameter). Hence, IMO, the Precision Mic is the better method.

--Jonathan

Jonathan Spencer -- forensic firearms examiner
Keith Borer Consultants
Mountjoy Research Centre, Durham, England, DH1 3UR
tel: +44 191 386 6107 fax: +44 191 383 0686

Jonathan M. Spencer

Mar 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/4/98

In article <l03102800b11161387e6c@[204.183.91.38]>, Tom Muller
<Tom.M...@dol.net> writes

>I am having trouble getting an accurate .30-06 hunting load.

>Nosler 150 gr. ballistic tips with 57 or 59 gr. of IMR 4350
>Hornady 165 gr. BTSP with 47 gr. IMR 4895

>Sierra 168 gr. BTHP (match king) with 47 gr. IMR 4895

Nothing wrong with the bullets.

>I've varied the above combos slightly without any significant effect.
>Groups are generally in the 2" range. The Sierra bullet combination gave
>outstanding groups, but the bullet really isn't designed for hunting.

It isn't *at all* designed for hunting, and is wholly unsuitable.

>How much should I vary the powder? Is 1 gr. too much? Any other
>suggestions?

Yes. Try adjusting the bullet seating depth. This has a *far* greater
influence than powder charge. You will need one of the devices that
measures seating depth on the bullet's ogive (the curve) rather than OAL
cartridge length. RCBS make their Precision Mic, and Stoney Point also
make a tool for the purpose.

Also, don't go for maximum loads as they tend to scatter the group.
Normally, best velocity if a few hundred fps less than the maximum.

However, here are some loads I've used with results. Note that unlike
many people who use the Mark I Eyeball to measure groups, I use a dial
caliper. :-) You'll note that I don't use 3 round groups either, and I
don't always shoot at 100 yards.

Bullet Velocity Energy Case Primer Powder
====== ======== ====== ==== ====== ======

Lapua 150 MEGA 2753fps 2522ft-lb Lapua Norma RL15 50.0
9 of 12 rnds in 1 and 1/16" at 50m, tight group

Lapua 150 MEGA 2769fps 2551ft-lb Lapua Norma RL15 51.0
11 of 12 rnds in 1-1/4" at 50m, tight group

Lapua 150 MEGA 2856fps 2714ft-lb Lapua Norma RL15 52.0
10 of 12 rnds in 1-3/4" at 50m, and scattered

Nosler 165 B.Tip 2722fps 2712ft-lb Lapua Fed 210 N160 58.5
Nosler 180 B.Tip 2458fps 2412ft-lb Rem Rem 9 H4350 53.0

Both of the Noslers are accurate but, regretably, they are more accurate
in my brother's identical 30-06 rifle than mine. Pity he can't shoot
straight, eh? ;-)

Tim Calvin

Mar 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/4/98

"Jonathan M. Spencer" <j...@salvage.demon.co.uk> wrote in part:

>There's a second point worth making. Tim's method uses the Cartridge
>Overall Length (OAL) which measures from the bullet's tip. But soft
>point bullets vary in length due to damage to the bullet's nose. Try
>measuring their length from a box of 100. The Precision Mic measures on
>the bullet's ogive and the data for any one bullet is transferable to
>all other bullets (because the measurement is taken where the ogive is a
>given diameter). Hence, IMO, the Precision Mic is the better method.

Jonathan's point is well taken--soft point bullets will have some
inconsistency in length due to point damage. However, the final seating
depth is determined by setting the bullet seating die which consistently
seats the bullet by pushing on the ogive, not the bullet tip. So very
accurate, consistent loads may measure different overall lengths when
assembled, but all the bullets are seated the same depth (they will have
the same "jump" to the lands).

Since my method is used to find a starting point for "best accuracy"
overall length, and first tests should be at a reduced length to avoid
excess pressure due to forcing the bullet into the lands, I believe it is
adequately accurate. I'm not certain how the tool Jonathon discusses
measures different barrel throats. I know my method is simpler than making
a chamber cast!

Tim Calvin <timh...@quiknet.com> NRA Life Member

Brian Nas

Mar 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/5/98

>Your gun may not be capable of 1' groups. Not all are capable of the 1" holy
>grail.

Not true, when the proper vibrational node is found, I have not
found a gun that with even (factory ammo ) wasn't capable of shooting 1" or
better.

Arnold Arms of
>Arlington Washington at the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation "elk camp" in
>Portland recently. they have an incredible accuracy package. They will take
>your gun, put another thread on your barrel, recut the chamber, lap the bolt
>lugs, square the bolt face, cryogenically treat the barrel, surface grind the
>recoil lug, free float the barrel, glass bed and guarantee 0.5" 3 shot groups
>and have it back to you in 30 days. The cost is $300,

With cost of rifles these days compare $300vs $80
see web page below

"I'f that hunting rifle doesn't shoot under 1/2moa or the varmit rifle under
1/4 moa Then the Accumajic Accurizer may be for you
For more info please see the web page
http://www.inventorworld.com/ami/acculink.htm

Daniel L Gillespie

Mar 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/5/98

"Jonathan M. Spencer" <j...@salvage.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Tim Calvin wrote:
>>Drop the bullet into the chamber and allow it to seat lightly into the
>>lands of the barrel. Run a cleaning rod down the barrel from the bore
>>it touches the bullet tip. Mark the rod. Then tap out the bullet. Close
>>action and reinsert the rod until it touchs the bolt face (make sure
>>rifle is cocked so the extended firing pin does not give a false, short
>>reading). Again mark the rod. The distance between your marks is the
>>maximum OCL for "that bullet in that rifle".
(snip)

>There's a second point worth making. Tim's method uses the Cartridge
>Overall Length (OAL) which measures from the bullet's tip. But soft
>point bullets vary in length due to damage to the bullet's nose. Try
>measuring their length from a box of 100. The Precision Mic measures on
>the bullet's ogive and the data for any one bullet is transferable to
>all other bullets (because the measurement is taken where the ogive is a
>given diameter). Hence, IMO, the Precision Mic is the better method.

Tim's method works fine if one loads the same bullet used
for measurement into a sized case and then saves the cartridge
to set the seating die. Since all the bullets in the box will have the
same ogive regardless of the state of their tips, the distance from
lands to bullet contact will remain constant.

Dan

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Soren LaForce

Mar 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/5/98

Jonathan M. Spencer wrote:

> There's a second point worth making. Tim's method uses the Cartridge
> Overall Length (OAL) which measures from the bullet's tip. But soft
> point bullets vary in length due to damage to the bullet's nose. Try
> measuring their length from a box of 100. The Precision Mic measures on
> the bullet's ogive and the data for any one bullet is transferable to
> all other bullets (because the measurement is taken where the ogive is a
> given diameter). Hence, IMO, the Precision Mic is the better method.

I have a low-tech method to mention.

I seat a bullet very long in a sized piece of brass (often I use a new
piece of brass that I did not want to load for some reason).

I then chamber this dummy round. Chambering pushes the bullet into
the case as the ogive engages the rifling. I now have a reference
dummy round that has zero clearance to the rifling.

I label the round as to type of bullet and gun and set it aside - a
little crazy glue at the case mouth helps keep the bullet from moving
over time.

When I want a specific distance to rifling, I use the dummy round to
set the seating die so that it just touches the bullet in the dummy.

I then seat a bullet into a new piece of brass and measure the OAL
- note that this is the first actual measurement!

Now I move the seating die (.075"/turn w/ a 7/8x14 die will get you
very close so you probably only have to make 1 or 2 measurements)
until I have the desired jump. I measure the jump as a delta from
the first measured OAL of the new (non-dummy) round when it was first
seated.

This method removes any effects from dented bullet noses. You do need
a different dummy round for each bullet/gun you're loading for, or at
least for each ogive.

--Soren

Mike Knifong

Mar 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/8/98

Tom,
Anytime I have difficulty getting a rifle to perform, I start to
question the scope, mounts and finally the bore it's self. Once
the scope and mounts have been eliminated as the cause, it's time
to inspect the bore. If a bore has a tight spot it will never shoot
very good until that tight spot is removed. Even damage from
cleaning rods will make the muzzle larger than the rest of the bore,
and this affects accuracy the same as a tight spot would.

Slugging the bore with very soft pure lead oversized bullets and
then measuring them, can tell you if the muzzle is larger than the
rest of the bore. I have a old Browning BAR 7mmRemMag that just
wouldn't shoot very well. Slugging the bore indicated cleaning rod
damage at the muzzle, as it measured larger than the rest of the
bore. After building up enough nerve to fire-lap the barrel, I
purchased some 600grit silicon carbide lapping compound from
Brownells, borrowed a mould from a friend, cast some pure lead
7mm bullets and started fire-lapping the bore. 150 fire-lapping
rounds latter and group size was cut in half. And the bore still is
a little tight in the middle, but it's a lot better. Now this gun
shoots the same loads a lot better.

Slugging the bore requires little effort and will not harm the rifle.
If the bore is tight in spots and particularly loose at the muzzle,
fire-lapping would most likely help. It certainly will not hurt the
gun or present group sizes. Enough people have fire-lapped rifles,
and I have yet to hear of a case where accuracy got worse. I have
fire-lapped several factory Ruger 10/22 barrels and they have shown
marked improvement as well.

A couple outfits offer fire-lapping kits, NECO and LBT Bullets are
two that come to mind. In addition, Ross Seyfried of Guns&Ammo, wrote
a nice article in their July 93 issue. I must addmit, I was leary but
the proof is on the target.

Mike in Oregon
Mike.W....@tek.com

> <Tom.M...@dol.net> writes:
> >I am having trouble getting an accurate .30-06 hunting load.
> >
> >Nosler 150 gr. ballistic tips with 57 or 59 gr. of IMR 4350
> >Hornady 165 gr. BTSP with 47 gr. IMR 4895
> >Sierra 168 gr. BTHP (match king) with 47 gr. IMR 4895
> >

> >I've varied the above combos slightly without any significant effect.
> >Groups are generally in the 2" range. The Sierra bullet combination gave
> >outstanding groups, but the bullet really isn't designed for hunting.
> >

> >How much should I vary the powder? Is 1 gr. too much? Any other
> >suggestions?

Mike Knifong

Mar 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/8/98

Dan wrote:
> Tim's method works fine if one loads the same bullet used
> for measurement into a sized case and then saves the cartridge
> to set the seating die. Since all the bullets in the box will have the
> same ogive regardless of the state of their tips, the distance from
> lands to bullet contact will remain constant.
> Dan

Mike wrote:
Guys,
I think you all have good methods and I'd like to share mine.
I use a combination of the dummy round and ogive techniques
using Stoney Points Bullet Comparator. My dummy round is a
discarded case that gets it's neck slit, where desire bullet
is seated long in the case and chambered giving "zero to lands"
seating depth. The entire shell is measured from rear of case
to ogive using Stoney Point's slick little tool that attatches
to my digital calipers. Included in the $30 set are differant
bushings for most calibers from .22-.30, with others avalible
upto .45 and lets not forget the .17.
This "zero to lands" measurement is recorded in my reloading
book as "STPOAL,Zero" and by subtracting desired bullet
jump/free bore, I arrive with a finished shell OAL which I call
"STPOAL", signifying use of the Stoney Point comparator. Some
of you may have noticed me use this STPOAL term as well as OAL
when swapping load data, since, as pointed out earlier, the true
OAL can vary from bullet to bullet a few thousandths.
When I start a seating depth load evaluation, I zero my die at
the "STPOAL,Zero" number and then adjust the micro stem to give
loads in .010" steps until I'm .100" off the lands. If I'm in
a real hurry, I may only go upto .050" off the lands.

Since the same tool is used for all loads and it measures off
the ogive, one can use the same STPOAL as a starting point for
a differant bullet. Chances are if .020" off the lands was
good with one bullet, it might be good with another. At least
it's a good place to start. Of course powder charge is reduced
and then worked back up.

Generally speaking for target loads, I've found .010-.020"
off the lands be give the best accuracy. However for hunting
loads I've found my Oehler PBL to indicate lower peak pressures
and higher velocities when bullets are farther off the lands.
So if accuracy doesn't suffer too much, I will go that route
and take the extra velocity. That is if the extra velocity
doesn't open up groups even more. But then some times it can
make then smaller too.

Aaah, the joy of handloading....one million varibles, but we
can only toy with then one at a time. You do the math, we can
spend forever trying to find the perfect load!

Mike in Oregon
Mike.W....@tek.com