Help with 11 year old Setter

Randy

Aug 15, 2006, 9:26:52 PM8/15/06
I went to feed my 11 year old setter tonight, and she was lying in the
kennel and could not move her back legs. She did not seem to be in any
distress, but could not walk.

I checked her for ticks on her back but did not find any.

I am wondering if she has had a stroke.

Any ideas?

I thought she had gone in heat the other day because she had swollen
some.

As a precaution I gave her a shot of pencillin until I can get her to
the vet in the morning.

Rick Steele

Aug 16, 2006, 10:21:55 PM8/16/06
Have her blood sugar checked... I had a similar problem with my Lab mix
and found the cause to be diabetes. He's currently on insulin twice a day.

Rick Steele

Larka Smallwood

Aug 16, 2006, 10:17:55 PM8/16/06
How hot is it where you are...it is really hot and humid here - I'd check
her gums first...are they really deep red?

Or her temperature, if you have a rectal thermometer.,...shoiuld be about
100.5 Farenheit

Strokes usually only affect one side...it is probably something else, like
the heat!

On of my Labs lost use of his legs for a bet when he got a heatstroke...

Work fast!

Larka

Randy

Aug 23, 2006, 3:24:04 PM8/23/06
Took her to the vet. He seemed to think she had a calcium deposit on
her spine and gave her a steroid shot and some b12. After about three
days she is walking again. Will have to wait and see how she does.

Larka Smallwood

Aug 26, 2006, 10:13:33 AM8/26/06
Haven't had that experience yet...good to know she is doing better!

Larka

Sep 7, 2006, 4:26:56 PM9/7/06
I am so, so sorry for you...I know exactly how it feels...put a 14 year old
lab down last year. Lost a 16 year old one this spring.

I will be thinking of you

Larka

Sep 20, 2006, 9:19:42 PM9/20/06
Update.

I thought my setter was going to die. She had gotten to the point
where she couldn't get up and was having labored breathing. As a last
result I though I would try some Pro Gen G which is a penicillin that I
had obtained from the farm store near by. After about three shots and
three days she is up and walking about again. This is the fifth day on
the antibotics. She still has some trouble walking, but is much, much
better??????????

She has started eating again and gaining some weight back. She didn't
have a temperature when I took her to the vet so I think it didn't
think it was an infection. All I know is she is better right now.

Wonder what it could be??????????????

Mark Root

Oct 18, 2006, 6:00:50 PM10/18/06
Could be west nile, did you test for that?

Oct 20, 2006, 10:33:13 AM10/20/06
"Mark Root" <msr...@FRONTIERNET.NET> wrote in message
I hope that does is it, another 5 days should show marked improvement

Randy

Oct 20, 2006, 6:10:28 PM10/20/06
Whatever it was she has fully recovered or at least as well as an 11
year old can manage.

Larka Smallwood

Oct 28, 2006, 12:14:37 PM10/28/06
Wonderful!

Larka

Nov 12, 2006, 8:42:35 AM11/12/06
Randy, this is a long shot but what do you feed your setter? We have
an English Setter who is about 7 years ago. Over the past month or
so, he was having a lot of trouble getting up and seemed to be very
sensitive to touch and yelped when you touched different spots. We
had a vet check him and he couldn't find anything. We then looked on
the web site for the food we were feeding him: Kibbles and Bits. We
found that it contains some ingredients that are harmful to dogs.
There were a number of postings about the adverse effects. So, we
took him off it and my wife started making her own version of BARF.
The result after a couple of weeks is that all symptoms have gone.
Just a thought.

Randy

Nov 19, 2006, 10:44:16 AM11/19/06

My setter is doing fine now, she recovered from whatever it was. I
gave her some pencillin for 5 days after I thought she was going to die
and she got over it.

She can not get out an run very well. You can tell she has some type
of lower back or hip problem. I walked her in the back to a pond and
she could not get out an run but she can manage herself quite well for
an old setter. Her hunting days are over and I will make her as
comfortable as I can during her last few years that she has left.