dog boots?

bob and shel

Feb 11, 2007, 4:44:29 PM2/11/07
Hi all,

Hubby took our Field ESS to the hunt club yesterday. She had a great
time, but came home with her paws quite sore. This has never happened
before, and we are unsure why it happened this time. She doesn't
actually have any areas where she is still bleeding, however her pads are
"worn", but the worst is the area in the general vicinity of where her
dew claws
used to be (both front paws)... it is very worn... quite abraded with
the fur actually
worn off... a little "weepy" with a small amount of blood.

Hubby thinks maybe the sorghum is hard on her paws as opposed
to whatever she usually hunts in. Or else the ice (we're from WI).

Anyway, he hopes to take her out again the next two weekends, and we are
wondering if anyone has used any "dog boots" that have actually
worked/stayed on.
The other dogs didn't seem to have as many problems, however they are as
"exuberant",
to quote one of the other dog owners he hunts with. : )

Thanks much for your opinions!

Shel

Allan Ashton

Feb 12, 2007, 6:26:45 PM2/12/07
I have found Lewis Boots work very well. They are rubber and as long as you follow directiom they will stay on. They cost about $20 and can be purchased from Gun Dog Supply, Dogs Unlimiled or Dresslers.

Al Ashton

Mary Veitch

Feb 12, 2007, 11:25:06 AM2/12/07
Best boot I ever saw was a tube sock and duct tape.

Wrap a section of duct tape sticky side out at the point where the top of
the sock will end, slide sock on foot and leg, press sock tube onto the
sticky tape, then take a piece of tape starting at the top of the sock on
the front of the leg and wrap down and up the back side of the foot and leg
ending at the top of the sock on the backside of the leg. Then starting at
the paw wrap the tape up around the foot and leg. It's light and should stay
on all day.

Mary Veitch
Blacbarc Curly Coated Retrievers

John Rosoff

Feb 12, 2007, 4:33:22 PM2/12/07
The Lewis boot works well and stays on. They come with instructions for customizing and attaching. Use a good quality duct tape and fit them for the individual dog. I hunt on decomposed granite and lava from time to time Without good boots temporary lameness is certain.
John
My Website is:

http://www.geocities.com/johnrosoff/john_edward_rosoff.index.html<http://www.geocities.com/johnrosoff/john_edward_rosoff.index.html>

boydlh