Re: Help with 11 year old Setter

Lori Rizzo

Nov 22, 2006, 11:52:01 PM11/22/06
Randy, did you vet say anything about the vaginal discharge? If she isn't
spayed, she could have had the beginnings of a uterine infection, which the
penicillin could have helped, at least for the time being. This, coupled
with the spondylosis, could have accounted for her symptoms. The
spondylosis can be treated with some of the glucosamine chondroitan
supplements - your vet should know about these and should have recommended
that.

I'm glad she's feeling better, but it sounds like you should get another vet
who can do a real workup on her...and also, a vet is not going to get
accurate bloodwork back if you pre-dose her with penicillin. If she was
harboring an infection, he wouldn't have seen that.

Regardless, it sounds like she's lived a pretty good life and you care for
her a lot. Setters are the greatest! Just my opinion, of course.

Lori

"Randy" <ran...@MSN.COM> wrote in message news:
<1163951056....@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>...
> Jack,,,,,,,,
>

> My setter is doing fine now, she recovered from whatever it was. I
> gave her some pencillin for 5 days after I thought she was going to die
> and she got over it.
>
> She can not get out an run very well. You can tell she has some type
> of lower back or hip problem. I walked her in the back to a pond and
> she could not get out an run but she can manage herself quite well for
> an old setter. Her hunting days are over and I will make her as
> comfortable as I can during her last few years that she has left.

Randy

Dec 8, 2006, 7:56:08 AM12/8/06
I get the feeling that you are right about her problem. At the time
she had the problem it looked like she was in heat. I would have
thought that if she had an infection though her temperature would have
been up.

Whatever it was the antibotics cleared it up.