Help with the Training Basics

tom.mc...@otago.ac.nz

Mar 14, 2007, 4:34:39 PM3/14/07
Hi all,

I have 10 week old black lab, Molly which I will be using for duck
shooting.

To begin training properly I would like some direction on the methods
of training the basics commands like, heel, responding to the word NO,
sit, stay and down.

Regards Tom

Larry Caldwell

Mar 20, 2007, 10:55:05 PM3/20/07
In article <1173904479.0...@b75g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
tom.mc...@OTAGO.AC.NZ (tom.mc...@OTAGO.AC.NZ) says...

Your dog is just the right age for pre-training. She may not comprehend
the commands, but you can start training anyway.

The first thing to do is take your dog where you can work it without a
leash. It needs to learn to stay with you by itself. Your pup also
needs to adventure, and learn to work away from you while keeping track
of you, particularly if you plan to use your dog for upland hunting.

Come: Off a leash, run away from the dog while repeating come, come,
come. She will chase you. Let her catch you, and give her lots and
lots of praise. Repeat. Some people use doggy treats. Don't over-do
them. As your pup gets a little older, put it on a check cord and make
it clear that come means come, every time.

Never punish a dog for coming. If it has been misbehaving, you tell it
to come, it comes, and you punish it, you have just trained the dog not
to come. I once trained a dog that had been treated that way. The
first time I said 'come', the dog turned around and ran 100 yards in the
other direction! I had to abandon the 'come' command entirely, and used
'here' instead. Try to be aware of the message you are giving your dog.

Heel: Walk along with the dog. Bend down and pet the dog as you walk,
talking and praising the dog, and saying heel every few seconds. She
will quickly learn to love walking at a heel. When my dogs are tired,
they automatically come to heel. You also need to teach the opposite
command, which varies from "hie on" to "hunt 'em up." The last thing
you need is a boot polisher that won't hunt the field.

Sit: Press gently on the dog's hind quarters while saying sit. Praise.

Stay: Have the dog sit, then back away slowly while saying stay. Start
small. A couple feet is a long ways for a pup to be separated from you.
If she breaks, have her sit again, repeat the stay command, and watch
carefully. If it looks like she is going to break, quickly give the
come command, plus praise.

Down: This is a tough command for a dog, because it requires them to
assume a submissive position. Be very calm while teaching down. Start
at a sit, then pull the dog's front feet forward while petting it and
saying down.

Be sure to use a command for only one thing. If the dog jumps on you,
don't say down, say something else, like NO (while giving her a knee in
the chest). If you say 'down', you will just confuse the dog's
training. If a dog is on the furniture, the command I use is 'Off".

You get the idea. When starting pups, the only punishment I use is to
withhold praise, except if they are doing something that will get them
killed. Then the wrath of Jove descends on their little puppy heads.
If they run into the street or start to chase a car, I will whip them
all the way back to safety, but stop as soon as they are back where they
belong. Don't put a dog in an E-collar until they are fully trained and
know all the commands, or if you want to aversion condition them to
something like snakes.

Your pup may be too young to understand words yet. Don't get impatient
with a dog that young. A while back I adopted a stray lab about 8 or 9
months old. It had never been obedience trained. Working with him a
few minutes a day, it took about a week to teach him all the commands,
except for stay. He had some real abandonment issues, and was afraid of
rejection. It took weeks of patience, but he finally accepted it. He
understood the command just fine, he was just afraid to follow it.

Another thing you need to do is teach the pup to use its nose. Spread
pieces of a hot dog, or other favorite treats, around in tall grass and
let the pup search for them. Give it time to just explore. Spend as
much time in the field with it as you can, giving it plenty of
opportunity to learn what all those smells mean.

Some of the best trainers are other dogs. If you know someone with a
trained lab, let your pup run with it. It will see what the older dog
does, and mimic it.

Your pup is a little sponge, soaking up life. Every dog and person your
pup comes into contact with trains it. Do what you can to keep your
family and friends from ruining your work. Group dog training classes
are a great way to get your pup used to behaving well in group
situations, but wait until it is a bit older.

Your pup has a very short attention span right now. Keep your training
sessions to 2 or 3 minutes at a time, after the pup has had the chance
to run and play a bit and shake the ants off its toes. I have always
found the best time for a training session is on the way back to the
house after a walk. You won't have to fight the dog to get its
attention, and will end up with a dog that really wants to be obedient.

--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.

Frank Thompson

Mar 23, 2007, 6:44:57 AM3/23/07
On Mar 20, 10:55 pm, Larry Caldwell <firstnamelastinit...@PEAKSKY.COM>
wrote:

I cannot agree more with Larry. Cut and paste it to save for future
reference. It is of the same genre as some of classics posted by Jerry
Arlington.
Albeit I am a Pointer person for well over a half century the same
principles apply. When folks get pups from me I recommend they get a
good training tape, dvd, etc.(more likely to be viewed by entire
family than is a book). At risk of oversimplification my personal
classification scheme is to divide the puppyhood into three stages of
"training" for the first year..the 3rd stage commencing around one
year of age. The first starts at one day old..the 1st three weeks
being only very brief (a less than a minute) daily handling for
weighing and other brief stimuli. Brief holding continues until they
are able to walk and run at which time 1st stage really starts. Larry
calls it pre-training which is very descriptive. I call it
experiences. I give pups all the experiences they will encounter
(other than gunfire) in later on formal training. There is no
"teaching" here.. only experiences.. no corrections.... no direct
rewards.. only experiences at something they will later encounter.
Beginning sometime well before midyear the second phase starts which
involves hearing verbal commands with physical enforcement..
enforcement doesn't involve corrections. Rewards are introduced here
(i.e. something good for obeying you, the pack leader) Final stage
around a year at age at which time formal training is appropriate. At
that time you first make sure the dog understands the commands (result
of second stage) and rewards are used and finally, if needed,
corrections.

As an example I use a barrel for many phases of yard training. In the
first phase they are placed on barrel, stood up and made comfy. When
they appear relaxed and seem to like the experience I put them back on
on the ground..all in less than a minute at first and then a minute or
so.
In second phase I physically make them stay on the barrel by holding
them there with my hands (or other methods) and require them to
eventually stay there a few moments at which time they are rewarded
and put back on ground. Verbal command is used during this process.
Third phase involves
corrections if they wont stay put. Breaking this down into three
phases makes it go forward only one step ar a time. Instead of having
to deal with new
physical (location), physical restraint, verbage by pack leader,
rewards and corrections all at the same time pup is led thru the steps
one step at a time.
The consequence of this is a no-fear program. Graduates like barrel
training and will happily jump on barrel on their own.

Again, my experiences are with Pointers, but the principles should be
the same. By three months of age they are usually ready for stage two.
By that time they have also had field experiences and they know how to
hunt, know how to cross creeks, find game and will point and hold them
until I get there.