800PetMeds contributed to defeat of Dove Hunting in Michigan

1 view

Chris Barnes

Nov 14, 2006, 1:49:16 PM11/14/06
I'm surprised I haven't seen the fact that the initive on the Michigan
ballot to preserve dove hunting failed.
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061107/NEWS99/61107070/-1/BUSINESS07

What's more, it appears that 800PetMeds was a contributer to the forces
that worked to defeat it:

http://www.stopshootingdoves.org/endorsements.shtml

--

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Chris Barnes AOL IM: CNBarnes

Ken McDaniel

Nov 14, 2006, 3:36:15 PM11/14/06
Well Chris, since doves are migratory it all sounds like good news for you
and me. Just kidding of course. My heart goes out to the hunters up there.
Maybe, like me, a lot of people didn't even know about it until we heard
some hunters crying about it afterwards. I get tons of junk mail from NRA
and others telling me what a great job they are doing ..... wasting trees!
They seem to be a lot more worried about someone being able to have some
type of automatic weapon than helping hunters. I would have given money to
help the dove hunters keep their right if they would have let me know - but
instead all I get is garbage from them.
I think the root of the problem goes back a lot farther than 800PetMeds (not
that I've ever bought from them and never will), like who was in charge 99
years ago.
Tell me again ...... what kind of song does doves sing? Preaching to the
choir here boys and girls, but you better remember the doves of Michigan
when election rolls around again!

Ken McDaniel

Amy Dahl

Nov 17, 2006, 9:21:05 PM11/17/06
Ken McDaniel wrote:

> I get tons of junk mail from NRA
> and others telling me what a great job they are doing ..... wasting trees!
> They seem to be a lot more worried about someone being able to have some
> type of automatic weapon than helping hunters. I would have given money to
> help the dove hunters keep their right if they would have let me know - but
> instead all I get is garbage from them.

The NRA is not about protecting "hunting rights." They are
more narrowly defined--gun rights only. They endorsed, if
I remember right, 75 of the same people the anti-hunting, animal-
rights crowd endorsed.

Hunters need firearms, land, the right to hunt, and dogs. All are under
threat, the last two from the animal-rightists. SAOVA is working
to protect our rights against this particular threat. We can use all
the help we can get. Visit us at saova.org. There you can sign up
for email alerts so you can lobby your elected representatives when
your voice is most needed; you can volunteer and increase our
ability to resist the animal-rightists; you can donate to the cause, or
you can educate yourself about animal rights issues and current
legislation. We can use your voice in the coming month to tell
your Senators to oppose the horse slaughter ban, and to let new,
inexperienced legislators in your district know that there is a
difference between animal rights and animal welfare, and the rights
we currently enjoy are important to you.

If you weren't aware of PAWS, the Senate legislation designed to
eliminate home breeding under the guise of stopping "puppy mills,"
check out http://www.nopaws.org. We've been fighting this legislation in its
different forms for years. Sponsor Rick Santorum is out, but someone
else will sponsor the same garbage in the next Congress. It is truly
scary.

The antis are becoming much more active at the state and local
level. I would like to see SAOVA expand and become a resource
for local groups who need to organize fast and resist losing our
dogs and our hunting rights--but we need resources, people and
money.

To the OP: thanks for the link. I hope to add a page listing
businesses, like PetsMart, that support the antis. If I can find
reliable, up-do-date information I'll put them all on there.

Amy Dahl

birdog

Nov 23, 2006, 1:14:31 PM11/23/06
"Chris Barnes" <ch...@txbarnes.com> wrote in message

> I'm surprised I haven't seen the fact that the initive on the Michigan
> ballot to preserve dove hunting failed.
> http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061107/NEWS99/61107070/-1/BUSINESS07
>

> What's more, it appears that 800PetMeds was a contributer to the forces
> that worked to defeat it:
>
> http://www.stopshootingdoves.org/endorsements.shtml

Least we forget. Long ago, maybe 40 years (I hope someone on here has a
better memory than I) I read an article promoting the shooting of starlings,
even offered cookbooks on how to prepare them, in an effort to control the
population. They stated that without hunters thinning them out, the dove
population would be as bad as the starling problem was then. Anyone
remember?

Ron Baker

Dec 1, 2006, 1:36:02 AM12/1/06
Doves are so numerous where I live, I just blast them off the barn roof and
then let the cats drag them away.

Chris Barnes

Dec 5, 2006, 2:04:39 PM12/5/06
Ron Baker wrote:
> Doves are so numerous where I live, I just blast them off the barn roof and
> then let the cats drag them away.

Sorry folks, I did not mean to approve this obviously flame bait post.