Tick repellent advice?

nitecapt

Apr 19, 2007, 11:39:33 PM4/19/07
I live in a fairly high tick infestation area. I don't like to use
stuff on my dogs that is systemic since I find it hard to believe
that
over the long run it is safe. There are products like Advantix and
Bio
Spot that claim to kill ticks when they bite. (that's great, they
have
already bitten) Others claim to repel. I wonder how a few drops of a
solution between the shoulder blades will actually prevent ticks from
jumping on the dogs. Later when they are in bed with me, perhaps the
ticks will find me a more acceptable host.
Years ago there used to be a dip that smelled like fuel oil and I
would soak my dogs skin with this and ticks would NEVER jump on. But
they smelled horrible.

Now that I've gone on forever, I guess my question is whether there
are any tick repellants that actually say that ticks will not climb
onto the dogs.

Any suggestions?

Chris Barnes

Apr 20, 2007, 10:06:23 AM4/20/07
nitecapt wrote:
> Now that I've gone on forever, I guess my question is whether there
> are any tick repellants that actually say that ticks will not climb
> onto the dogs.

I'm not quite sure I understand you're objection to KILLING the flea/tick,
wanting to repel them instead (which allows them to bite, feed, & reproduce
on some other animal).

Not to mention that repelling the pests from your animals (or yourself) is
a temporary solution, while KILLING them is a permanent one (well, a longer
lasting temporary one).

--

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Chris Barnes AOL IM: CNBarnes

PonderosaSports.com

Apr 20, 2007, 11:17:03 AM4/20/07
We had trouble with the drops between the shoulders.

We have since gone to dusting the dogs with SEVEN dust. This is 5%
Carboral. It is save enough for your garden vegetables.

Shadow Walker

Apr 23, 2007, 4:54:39 PM4/23/07
They still sell toxic dips like that. They smell allot better but are still
toxic.
I use Frontline Plus or Advantage and ticks never seem to live long enough
to bite my dogs. Seven dust can be used to repel ticks as well as kill them.

"nitecapt" <nite...@OPTONLINE.NET> wrote in message

birdog

May 2, 2007, 12:16:56 PM5/2/07
"nitecapt" <nite...@OPTONLINE.NET> wrote in message

Owned working bird dogs for more years than I'll admit to. Not too many
years ago I was still drowning the dogs with liquid spray in a futile
attempt to keep varmits from feeding on them. Since it became available, we
have used Frontline Plus. As opposed to several other brands we tried, it is
waterproof - try keeping a bird dog dry - starting with the first sign of
ticks in the spring, and we have licked the tick problem, and totally
eliminates flees. On occasion we will find a dead tick on a dog, but never
imbedded. I suppose this means they still jump on the dog, but die before
they can sink in. No adverse reactions noted. Dosed a 14 1/2 year old
retired veteran just last week.

Note that this is Frontline PLUS!

This is my experience - for whatever it is worth.