Re: Internet Oracularities Digest #1592

Eli the Bearded

Sep 10, 2020, 7:31:34 PM9/10/20
In rec.humor.oracle, <vo...@internetoracle.org> wrote:
> } Claiming that Doris Wishman's 1961 film
> } 'Nude on the Moon' is an actual documentary by NASA that was called
> } fiction to discredit it after it accidentally leaked.

TIL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nude_on_the_Moon

Nude on the Moon is the second of eight nudist films produced and
directed by Wishman. While most nudist films of the time were set
within a conventional nudist camp, apparently as a promotional
gimmick Wishman decided to set the story in a nudist civilization on
the Moon.
[...]
Nude on the Moon is available for free download at the Internet
Archive ( https://archive.org/details/Nude.on.the.Moon.1961.AVI1Gb )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doris_Wishman

Beginnings; nudist films

Her first films are called nudist camp films or Nudist romances. In
1957, a New York Appeals court ruling allowed films depicting nudism
to be exhibited in movie theaters in New York State. Wishman was
familiar with the appeal and potential of nudist camp movies due to
her acquaintances with Walter Bibo, whose film Garden of Eden gained
notoriety due its influence of swaying censorship laws for filming
nudity. Inspired by this development, Wishman claimed in several
interviews to have borrowed $10,000 from her sister to produce her
first film, Hideout in the Sun, a nudist film, shot in late 1958 and
released in early 1960. Her next film, Nude on the Moon, released
in 1961, was a science fiction nudie. The film was banned in New
York State after the New York State Censorship Board ruled that
films featuring nudity in a nudist colony were legally permissible
but nudity in a fantasy film set in a "nudist colony on the Moon"
was not. [ ... ] Wishman produced eight nudist films in total
between 1958 and 1964. After the popularity of the genre began to
wane, she decided to abandon nudist exploitation films and
transition into the new sexploitation genre.

She sounds like she was fun.

Elijah
------
expecting a response to this post sometime in 2023

Phil Culmer

Jan 1, 2021, 11:13:22 AM1/1/21
On 11/09/2020 00:31, Eli the Bearded wrote:
> In rec.humor.oracle, <vo...@internetoracle.org> wrote:
>> } Claiming that Doris Wishman's 1961 film

> Elijah
> ------
> expecting a response to this post sometime in 2023

Looks like I didn't entirely waste my time checking back in, then.

https://www.avg.com

Eli the Bearded

Jan 1, 2021, 11:50:37 PM1/1/21
In rec.humor.oracle.d, Phil Culmer <ph...@culmer.org.uk> wrote:
> On 11/09/2020 00:31, Eli the Bearded wrote:
>> expecting a response to this post sometime in 2023
> Looks like I didn't entirely waste my time checking back in, then.

Wow! So fast a response. And on a day that I concidentally mentioned
_Nude on the Moon_ at archive.org to someone else. Such a rare
coincidence.

https://twitter.com/elithebearded/status/1345117958603907072

Elijah
------
such a terrible movie

Danny Sichel

Jun 25, 2023, 4:58:20 PM6/25/23
On Thursday, September 10, 2020 at 7:31:34 PM UTC-4, Eli the Bearded wrote:
> In rec.humor.oracle, <vo...@internetoracle.org> wrote:

> ------
> expecting a response to this post sometime in 2023

ta-da!

Eli the Bearded

Jun 27, 2023, 3:08:21 AM6/27/23
In rec.humor.oracle.d, Danny Sichel <dsi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, September 10, 2020, Eli the Bearded wrote:
>> ------
>> expecting a response to this post sometime in 2023
> ta-da!

Uncanny.

I should mention that I did eventually watch Doris Wishman's film. The
Florida estate where it was filmed was more intetesting than the nudes.

Here's a review I wrote:

Dr John Clark worked at Naval Air Rocket Test Station developing fuels
for 21 years. The US government spent about a decade and billions of
dollars developing the Saturn V rocket.

Before he was a rocket fuel guy, he made a "race track" periodic table,
attempting to show relationships between elements better, which was
later used for a cover of Life Magazine

(race track periodic table image)

And then I watch this which makes it all seem so easy:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056293/

Dr. Jeff Huntley develops rocket fuels for his own company. When he gets
a $3 million inheritance he spends that and in six months builds a
rocket to fly to the moon. Where he is surprised to find that it is lush
with plants, has gold just littered on the ground, and natives that look
like humans with very slim antennas. These moon people communicate
psychicly and only wear shorts. There are males and females, but more
females. And strangely the tanlines suggest they usually wear more. The
first half of the film was funny in how bad the science was. The moon
scenes are basically the astronauts standing around ogling the topless
"aliens" while they engage in games that would bore a kindergartner as
being too simple.

[...]

The trailer is on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZywl8PXXu4

And the whole seventy minute film is at Internet Archive.

https://archive.org/details/Nude.on.the.Moon.1961.AVI1Gb

The moon scenes were filmed at Coral Castle, in Miami-Dade County,
Florida. That place is it's own ball of weird.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coral_Castle

I haven't looked for or watched any other Wishman films.

Elijah
------
wondering if there are other predictions he should check up on

Phil Culmer

Sep 1, 2023, 6:51:20 PM9/1/23
On 11/09/2020 00:31, Eli the Bearded wrote:
Here it is then.

Sounds like a fun film

Manda.