Young David asked his rich grandfather

juventino

Apr 28, 2010, 8:35:06 AM4/28/10
Young David asked his rich grandfather, Paul, how he had made his
money. Paul said, "Well, David, it was 1955, and I was down to my last
five pence. I went to the local market and invested that five pence in
a large apple. I spent the entire day polishing the apple and, at the
end of the day, I sold the apple for ten pence."

"The next morning, I invested the ten pence in two large apples. I
spent the entire day polishing them and I sold them at 5pm for twenty
pence. I continued this system for a month. Then Grandma’s father died
and left us two million pounds."

JDB

Apr 28, 2010, 11:40:52 AM4/28/10
juventino <joed...@gmail.com> wrote:
> "The next morning, I invested the ten pence in two large apples. I
> spent the entire day polishing them and I sold them at 5pm for twenty
> pence. I continued this system for a month.

...at which point he would, in theory, have made well over 100 million.

JD 'pedant' B.
[spoiling jokes since 1972]

Juan M

Apr 28, 2010, 5:59:14 PM4/28/10

"juventino" <joed...@gmail.com> wrote in message

An then there was the story of the man who claimed to be a self-made
millionaire. He inherited 5 million and turned it into 6 million.

mecej4

Apr 30, 2010, 9:46:22 AM4/30/10
> pence. I continued this system for a month. Then Grandma�s father died

> and left us two million pounds."

Were those new pence or old (240 / Pound) ?

Assuming 100 pence / Pound:

At the end of the 30th day, if he was not stretching the truth, he would
have been polishing those apples at the rate of over 40,000 per second,
around Mach 10.

Those two million pounds from his father-in-law would not be enough to
pay even the income tax on the earnings from the apples.

-- mecej4

Juan M

Apr 30, 2010, 9:45:09 AM4/30/10

"JDB" <j...@lartmaker.nl> wrote in message
If there was a place called hell, there would be a special place in it for
joke spoilers. They would be forced to listen to knock-knock jokes (or
political speedches) for eternity.

Message has been deleted