Effect of Scottish independence on Court of the Lord Lyon

Dave Davisson

Aug 28, 2022, 4:37:12 PM8/28/22
Does anyone know of an article about possible effects of an independence vote on the Court of the Lord Lyon? Independence has not precluded a state office of heraldry in Canada, or Ireland (though very different), though Australia is in a strange situation where it has none but English College of Arms still claims its authority there.

Dave Davisson

John

Nov 26, 2022, 2:29:05 PM11/26/22
On Sunday, August 28, 2022 at 3:37:12 PM UTC-5, dcdav...@gmail.com wrote:
> Does anyone know of an article about possible effects of an independence vote on the Court of the Lord Lyon? Independence has not precluded a state office of heraldry in Canada, or Ireland (though very different), though Australia is in a strange situation where it has none but English College of Arms still claims its authority there.
>
> Dave Davisson

Good afternoon, Dave.

This topic has been addressed previously within this forum. I suggest you find those threads as fellow contributors here will likely do a superior job than I. That said, I will attempt to provide an answer.

Scots heraldry and the office of Lord Lyon substantially predate the Acts of Union (c 1707). Further, Scots heraldry is entirely distinct from its southerly cousin and is often considered the "purest" system internationally. Suffice to say, The Scots are fiercely proud of this and work hard to preserve it - including with prosecutorial power. I see no reason why eventual independence would immediately result in abandonment of this centuries old cultural touchstone.

A similar logic could be extended to the concept of Scots nobility and clan system. Each predates The Union also. Even the old system of feudal "titles" (baronies or lairdships) have proven impossible to remove - despite attempts to do so or erode them to nothingness.

I find it highly probable that Scots heraldry (and Lyon) will continue into the centuries ahead - regardless of whether Buckingham Palace is involved whatsoever.

I hope this is helpful and wish you well.

Cheers,
John

3ARwun

May 23, 2023, 7:20:28 PM5/23/23
So amen! and I agree with the above points, except I would point out that independence might even make the office stronger. Whilst a member of the EU, LL ruled that the Lamborghini shield needed to be registered, and fees paid, or it was illegal. He was overuled by the EU. Said overule is now moot since the UK dumped the EU. Similary, the parliment in london overuled the LL on precedence of the college of surgeons over some other royal society, saying it was archaic and moot. So dumping England could give LL more soveriegnty and independence. Then again, Scotland was more EU enamored than the southern neighbor and might would rejoin...

---

William Baldwin, MD-S, MBA
Dept of Defense HPSP post master's program
cell 50xxxxxxxxxx74 or email to eirixxxxxxok.com

Jonas Arnell-Szurkos

Sep 14, 2023, 3:05:16 AM9/14/23
onsdag 24 maj 2023 kl. 01:20:28 UTC+2 skrev 3ARwun:
> Said overule is now moot since the UK dumped the EU.

Is that really how it works? IMHO The overruling took place when UK was part of EU, so I think the EU overrule stand, that is how the issue was resolved, and another go at the question in the new EU-free framework would be needed ending in a reaffirmed LL opinion.
Think about a country like Sudan which split into Sudan and South-Sudan: all legislation and rulings under the old state holds even if the country is spilt, because it would be wildly impractical for both countries to redo everything that happened in old Sudan affecting the two new countries. Not to mention the judicial incorrectness of reopening old verdicts.