Recent sale of titles by Strutt and Parker

Derek Howard

Nov 14, 2002, 7:25:53 AM11/14/02
Two versions of events:

First from <http://www.struttandparker.co.uk/docs/newsroom/pressrelease.asp?ID=223>:
<quote>
SUCCESSFUL SALE OF FEUDAL BARONIES AND LORDSHIPS OF THE MANOR

24/10/2002 Sector: Feudal Titles Agency - Release

National estate agents Strutt & Parker have held a successful auction
in which the majority of Lord of the Manor and Feudal Baron titles
were sold for a total of over £360,000 with 3 Lordships sold
immediately after the auction.

At the recent sale of 4 Feudal Baronies and 35 Lordships of the Manor
went under the hammer with the majority exceeding their reserve
prices.

The successful bidders in all cases secured a title and many also
received ancient documentation, the history, plus the prestigious
connections and historic rights that go with the title.

Stephen Hawes, from Strutt & Parker&#8217;s Feudal Titles Department,
said: "We were delighted with the response we got from the auction.
These sales always generate a great deal of interest and this one was
no exception."

The highlight of the sale was the £35,000 paid for the Seignory & Fief
of Canelly, Guernsey. Other major sales were £30,000 for the Lordship
and Barony of Horsely, Derbyshire and £10,000 for the Lordship of Lydd
Court, Kent.

The popularity of purchasing lordships has increased over the last 30
years. The Feudal Titles department of Strutt and Parker has been
involved with the sale of over 700 titles from all parts of the
British Isles, attracting buyers not only from the UK, but also from
abroad.

Lordships of the Manor are the oldest titles in Britain, going back
more than a thousand years and pre-dating William the Conqueror's
invasion in 1066.
<end quote>

Second, from <http://www.faketitles.com/html/strutt___parker.html>:
<quote>
Latest News - Monday 21st October:

So far four titles - including the Barony of Barnstaple - have been
withdrawn from the sale by Strutt & Parker.

Lord Shannon's two titles still remain, however, watch this space and
await further developments.

Results of the Sale:

Five lots - 4, 8, 15, 28 and 41 - were withdrawn before the sale, half
the other lots did not reach their reserve, and strangely there were
no successful bid for Lots 5 & 25.
<end quote>

So what was the outcome? What were the other titles sold and the sale
prices? Which three were sold after the auction? Were any sold with
associated property, rights or obligations? Where were the "feudal
baronies" of?

Derek Howard

Sean J Murphy

Nov 14, 2002, 4:56:38 PM11/14/02
Derek Howard wrote re the recent Strutt and Parker titles sale:

> Five lots - 4, 8, 15, 28 and 41 - were withdrawn before the sale, half
> the other lots did not reach their reserve, and strangely there were
> no successful bid for Lots 5 & 25.
> <end quote>
>
> So what was the outcome? What were the other titles sold and the sale
> prices? Which three were sold after the auction? Were any sold with
> associated property, rights or obligations? Where were the "feudal
> baronies" of?

Another section of the Strutt and Parker website at
http://www.struttandparker.co.uk/promotion/index.asp gives the following
list of recently auctioned titles and prices, which I have numbered for
convenience:

1 The Lordship of Brook Hall in Felsham £8,000
2 The Lordship of Hurcott, Worcestershire £8,500
3 The Lordship of Kiddersley in Derbyshire £8,500
4 The Lordship of Walterstone, Glamorgan Withdrawn
5 The Lordship of Monkstown, County Cork Unsold
6 The Lordship of Wharton in Lancshire £8,500
7 The Feudal Barony of Liddel in Cumberland Unsold
8 The Lordship of Bellbroughton, Worcestershire Private sale
9 The Lordship of Bosyeard with Verdons, Suffolk £8,000
10 The Lordship of Leegomery, Shropshire £8,000
11 The Lordship of Imberhorne, Sussex £9,000
12 The Lordship of East Merstone, Isle of Wight £7,000
13 The Lordship & Barony of Horsley, Derbyshire £30,000
14 The Lordship of Market Drayton, Shropshire Unsold
15 The Lordship of Bettisfield, Flintshire Private sale
16 The Lordship of Rushes with Jennies Unsold
17 The Lordship of Lydd Court, Kent £10,000
18 The Lordship of Coddenham Hall, Suffolk £7,000
19 Seignory and Fief of Canelly, Guernsey £35,000
20 The Lordship of Brook Hall, Suffolk Unsold
21 The Lordship of Normacot, Staffordshire £8,000
22 The Lordship of Earls Hall, Suffolk £9,000
23 The Lordship of Nicolforest, Cumberland £8,000
24 The Lordship of Little Witley, Worcestershire Unsold
25 Barony of Barnahely, County Cork Unsold
26 Lordship of Kidderminster Borough, Worcestershire £7,500
27 The Lordship of Idstone, Royal Berkshire Unsold
28 The Lordship of Bedfield, Suffolk Withdrawn
29 The Lordship of Horsley Woodhouse, Derbyshire Unsold
30 The Lordship of Kynnersley, Shropshire £7,000
31 Barony of Kidderminster Biset, Worcestershire Unsold
32 Lordship/Hundred of Shrivenham Salop Unsold
33 The Lordship of Sotherton, Suffolk £7,750
34 The Lordship of Littleton-upon-Severn Unsold
35 The Lordship of Morton, Derbyshire £8,000
36 The Lordship of Maiden Hall, Felsham £7,000
37 The Lordship of Heathy, Worcestershire £5,000
38 The Lordship of Bermondsey Unsold
39 The Lordship of Uggeshall, Suffolk £6,500
40 The Lordship of Solport, Cumberland £7,000
41 The Lordship and Barony of Barnstaple Withdrawn

Faketitles.com reported that Lord Shannon has disputed the claim that he
authorised the auction of the Irish titles Monkstown and Barnahely above,
both of which are listed as unsold.

Sean Murphy
Irish Feudal Titles
http://homepage.eircom.net/~seanjmurphy/chiefs/feudaltitles.htm

Martin Goldstraw

Nov 17, 2002, 5:09:54 AM11/17/02
"Sean J Murphy" <seanj...@eircom.net> wrote in message news:<b_UA9.28689$zX3....@news.indigo.ie>...
Snip
> Another section of the Strutt and Parker website at
> http://www.struttandparker.co.uk/promotion/index.asp gives the following
> list of recently auctioned titles and prices, which I have numbered for
> convenience:
>
> 10 The Lordship of Leegomery, Shropshire £8,000

Leegomery, Shropshire. This is nowadays an urban housing estate (a mix
of private and local authority housing) smack in the middle of Telford
(new town).
The whole of this area was compulsory purchased back in the 1970's by
the then Telford Development Corporation for development and has been
fully developed. There is not one scrap of land which can be said to
offer any "rights" to a feudal lord of the manor and quite frankly if
you mentioned to the vast majority of the residents of this estate
that you were their feudal lord, you would be told in no uncertain
terms where to go!! £8000 for that !

Regards,
Martin

Tim Powys-Lybbe

Nov 17, 2002, 5:29:12 AM11/17/02
In message <f6afd268.02111...@posting.google.com>
hera...@goldstraw.org (Martin Goldstraw) wrote:

But Feudal lordships were effectively abolished with the abolishment of
copyholdings in the early 20th century. There is nothing left for the
lord of the manor to be feudal about. Almost all that is left is the
name of "lord of the manor" and occasionally a few rights such as
holding a fair. Further the lordship can be and is sold separately to
the land itself. But it remains that such a lordship still has a value
in that others are prepared to pay for a well established / documented
role.

So the residents of Leegomery can rest quietly in their beds.

--
Tim Powys-Lybbe t...@powys.org
For a patchwork of bygones: http://powys.org