Voting rights of peers

Sam McCacken

Jan 29, 2004, 5:14:24 PM1/29/04
Can a peer without a seat in the transitional House of Lords stand for the
Commons? Presumably his or her title is now on all fours with Irish
peerages after the Union, e..g., the Viscountcy of Palmerston.

Don Aitken

Jan 29, 2004, 8:02:30 PM1/29/04
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 17:14:24 -0500, "Sam McCacken" <sm...@bu.edu>
wrote:

>Can a peer without a seat in the transitional House of Lords stand for the
>Commons? Presumably his or her title is now on all fours with Irish
>peerages after the Union, e..g., the Viscountcy of Palmerston.

Yes. "The holder of a hereditary peerage shall not be disqualified by
virtue of that peerage for-

(a) voting at elections to the House of Commons, or
(b) being, or being elected as, a member of that House."

House of Lords Act 1999, s.3. The "excepted peers", who continue to be
members of the House of Lords, are excluded from this provision. See
http://www.legislation.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts1999/19990034.htm#3
Several hereditary peers are now MPs.

--
Don Aitken

Mail to the addresses given in the headers is no longer being
read. To mail me, substitute "clara.co.uk" for "freeuk.com".

Bryan J. Maloney

Jan 29, 2004, 9:40:17 PM1/29/04
"Sam McCacken" <sm...@bu.edu> nattered on
thusnews:bvc0k1$gmp$1...@news3.bu.edu:

> Can a peer without a seat in the transitional House of Lords stand for
> the Commons? Presumably his or her title is now on all fours with
> Irish peerages after the Union, e..g., the Viscountcy of Palmerston.

All I can hear is Rowan Atkinson saying "Lord Nelson has a BOAT."

DOUGLAS ANDERSON

Jan 31, 2004, 12:06:50 PM1/31/04
"Sam McCacken" <sm...@bu.edu> wrote in message

> Can a peer without a seat in the transitional House of Lords stand for the
> Commons? Presumably his or her title is now on all fours with Irish
> peerages after the Union, e..g., the Viscountcy of Palmerston.

The 3rd Viscount Thurso (created 1952) sits as Liberal Democrat MP for
Caithness, Sutherland and Easter Ross

--
Douglas Anderson
Glasgow