James, Sovereign Count of Vismes, Ponthiu & St Valery +2006

mj...@btinternet.com

Nov 4, 2006, 1:11:05 PM11/4/06
The Daily Telegraph this morning carried a death notice for one

"James Arnold Godfray Martin St Valery, Sovereign Count de Vismes,
Ponthieu et St Valery"

who died on 26 October 2006, aged 90.

Can anyone shed any light on this illustrious gentleman's claims?

MA-R
www.areyoubeingconned.com

Turenne

Nov 4, 2006, 3:06:42 PM11/4/06
I found a few references to this chap's ancestors which may be of
interest. The third, 'Jersey Medals' gives Ponthieu as well as Vismes.

http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/DEV/DevonMisc/Obituaries1841.html
http://www.stirnet.com/HTML/genie/british/hh4aa/hay07.htm *third of
the way down.*
http://www.jersey-medals.net/relofchit18c.html

Richard Lichten

mj...@btinternet.com

Nov 4, 2006, 3:51:00 PM11/4/06

Turenne schrieb:

> I found a few references to this chap's ancestors which may be of
> interest. The third, 'Jersey Medals' gives Ponthieu as well as Vismes.
>
> http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/DEV/DevonMisc/Obituaries1841.html
> http://www.stirnet.com/HTML/genie/british/hh4aa/hay07.htm *third of
> the way down.*
> http://www.jersey-medals.net/relofchit18c.html
>
> Richard Lichten

Thanks, Richard.

According to a post at rec.heraldry in December 2000 by Anton Sherwood,
there is a reference to the family in Rietsap:

VISMES (DE) (Comtes) -- Gloucestershire. Ec.: aux 1 et 4 d'or à trois

bandes d'azur; au chef du sec., semé de fleurs-de-lis du champ
(Ponthieu);
au 2 d'azur fretté d'or, semé dans les clairevoies de fleurs-de-lis
du
même (St.-Vallery); au 3 d'arg. au chev. de gu., acc. en chef de deux
étoiles d'or et en p. d'un croiss. du même (Vismes). C[imier]: une
aigle ép. de sa. T[enants]: deux anges au nat. D[evise]: J'ASPIRE.
(Branche des DE VISME de Picardie, passée en Angleterre à la
révocation
de l'Edit de Nantes.)

I've had a quick glance in my Kelly's Handbook 1904 but nothing
obvious; I don't have any old BLGs to hand. I did see a suggestion
elsewhere online that the family formerly held a Royal Licence to bear
a foreign title in the UK.

It was the adjective "Sovereign" attached to the Comital title that
particularly caught my eye.

François R. Velde

Nov 4, 2006, 6:11:53 PM11/4/06
In medio alt.talk.royalty aperuit mj...@btinternet.com os suum:

>Turenne schrieb:
>
>> I found a few references to this chap's ancestors which may be of
>> interest. The third, 'Jersey Medals' gives Ponthieu as well as Vismes.
>>
>> http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/DEV/DevonMisc/Obituaries1841.html
>> http://www.stirnet.com/HTML/genie/british/hh4aa/hay07.htm *third of
>> the way down.*
>> http://www.jersey-medals.net/relofchit18c.html
>>
>> Richard Lichten
>
>Thanks, Richard.
>
>According to a post at rec.heraldry in December 2000 by Anton Sherwood,
>there is a reference to the family in Rietsap:
>
>VISMES (DE) (Comtes) -- Gloucestershire. Ec.: aux 1 et 4 d'or à trois
>
>bandes d'azur; au chef du sec., semé de fleurs-de-lis du champ
>(Ponthieu);
>au 2 d'azur fretté d'or, semé dans les clairevoies de fleurs-de-lis
>du
>même (St.-Vallery); au 3 d'arg. au chev. de gu., acc. en chef de deux
>étoiles d'or et en p. d'un croiss. du même (Vismes). C[imier]: une
>aigle ép. de sa. T[enants]: deux anges au nat. D[evise]: J'ASPIRE.
>(Branche des DE VISME de Picardie, passée en Angleterre à la
>révocation
>de l'Edit de Nantes.)

I'm not sure where that remark comes from, as neither the 1st nor the 2d edition
of Rietstap contain it. However, Burke's General Armory (1844) says this (s.v.
"De Vismes"): a branch of the very ancient and noble family of De Vismes, of the
kingdom of France, deriving originally from the sovereign house of Ponthieu,
settled in England at the revocation of the Edict of Nantes; obtained a
confirmation of pedigree and rank (that of Count) from the French government, in
the person of the late Count de Vismes, who died in 1840, leaving two sons viz.
William present Count de Vismes and Henry Baron de Vismes.

>I've had a quick glance in my Kelly's Handbook 1904 but nothing
>obvious; I don't have any old BLGs to hand. I did see a suggestion
>elsewhere online that the family formerly held a Royal Licence to bear
>a foreign title in the UK.

Definitely not the case. The name shows up nowhere in the documents at
http://www.heraldica.org/topics/britain/foreigntitles.htm

>It was the adjective "Sovereign" attached to the Comital title that
>particularly caught my eye.

The county of Ponthieu's history is given at
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_des_comtes_de_Ponthieu
(link provided with the usual wikidisclaimer; there are some inaccuracies).
Roughly speaking the county passed by inheritance to the kings of England from
whom it was confiscated in 1336, 1360, and lastly in 1380. Thereafter it was
given as apanage to various people, lastly the Angoulêmes, a legitimated line of
Charles IX. My old La Chesnaye-Desbois says that the county was briefly
(June-Sept 1710) part of the apanage of the duc de Berry. The last owner of the
county was Charles, comte d'Artois, younger brother of Louis XVI, who received
it as part of his apanage in 1773 (indeed, "comte de Ponthieu" was the incognito
he used as ex-king Charles X later in life).

The barony of Vismes was a fief within the county of Ponthieu. It passed from
the family of Cayeux to the family of Monchy in the 14th century, and as late as
Sept. 1665 it was still owned by the Monchy family (François de Monchy, son and
heir of Charles de Monchy, baron of Vismes, gave homage).

The barony of Saint-Valéry-sur-Somme, in the county of Amiens, passed from the
Melun family with Isabelle to the Artois comtes d'Eu, then to the house of
Bourgogne-Nevers along with Eu and followed the county of Nevers through the
houses of La Marck and Gonzaga until the mid-17th c., when it passed (presumably
when the duke of Mantua sold his French possessions in 1659) to the house of
Rouault de Gamaches which still owned it in 1737.

As for the British de Vismes family, there are various notices of births, deaths
and marriages throughout the Times. At some point these people held an even
higher title (e.g. the announcement that "the princess Theobald de Vismes et de
Ponthieu" was delivered of a son at Brussels on 23d Nov 1859, or of the death on
27 Jan 1885, of Eliza Carter, at Cesson, Côtes-du-Nord, "relict of the late
William, prince de Vismes et de Ponthieu", in her 85th year). As for their
origin, my instinct would be to look toward Geneva:
http://auriol.free.fr/Perso/Nom_Auriol/geneangl.htm (where Vismes is misspelled
Wismes).

It's difficult to think of the county of Ponthieu as sovereign, or as being
plausibly claimed by anyone today, let alone a Huguenot family in Britain, and I
suspect the recognition of title and pedigree by France would be difficult to
document.
--
François Velde
ve...@nospam.org (replace by "heraldica")

François R. Velde

Nov 4, 2006, 6:24:34 PM11/4/06
In medio rec.heraldry aperuit François R. Velde <ve...@heraldicanospam.invalid>
os suum:

>In medio alt.talk.royalty aperuit mj...@btinternet.com os suum:
>> I did see a suggestion
>>elsewhere online that the family formerly held a Royal Licence to bear
>>a foreign title in the UK.
>
>Definitely not the case. The name shows up nowhere in the documents at
>http://www.heraldica.org/topics/britain/foreigntitles.htm

More precisely, there is a file in the National Archives:

HO 45/8817 : French title of Viscount de Vismes: refusal to allow de Vismes
family to use in UK (1864-1866).

There is also this rather cryptic entry:

HO 44/52 (Domestic correspondence), ff 585-587. Baron Henry de Vismes, Orleans,
regarding the king's sign manual, allowing his father, a British subject, to
claim the French title

edesp...@yahoo.fr

Nov 5, 2006, 1:48:45 AM11/5/06

mj...@btinternet.com a écrit :

> It was the adjective "Sovereign" attached to the Comital title that
> particularly caught my eye.

The adjective was taken up when? In those days one did understand what?
At the time of the HRE instead of titeling oneself "immediate" one
replaced the word by "sovereign". A word then à la mode!

mj...@btinternet.com

Nov 5, 2006, 3:48:48 AM11/5/06

François R. Velde schrieb:

Many thanks for the detailed and informative reply, Francois.

MA-R

mj...@btinternet.com

Nov 5, 2006, 5:47:45 AM11/5/06

François R. Velde schrieb:

> In medio alt.talk.royalty aperuit mj...@btinternet.com os suum:
>

> >I've had a quick glance in my Kelly's Handbook 1904 but nothing
> >obvious; I don't have any old BLGs to hand. I did see a suggestion
> >elsewhere online that the family formerly held a Royal Licence to bear
> >a foreign title in the UK.
>
> Definitely not the case. The name shows up nowhere in the documents at
> http://www.heraldica.org/topics/britain/foreigntitles.htm

Indeed; I had misremembered. There was a post here a few years ago
saying that "de Vismes" was one of the foreign titles listed in the
1938 edition of Burke's Peerage.

steven...@hotmail.com

Nov 9, 2006, 12:10:19 PM11/9/06
There are a couple of online genealogies of this family.

One on Gallica in the 1865 edition of "Annuaire de la noblesse de
France et des maisons souveraines de l'Europe" pages 223-228. There are
one or two bits I don't understand, and one or two bits that look
doubtful.

The other on Google Books in the "Nobilities of Europe" pages 397, 398
and 222. But, as is usual with google books, it wont give page 222,
which contains details of the current Count.

mj...@btinternet.com

Nov 9, 2006, 4:29:39 PM11/9/06

steven...@hotmail.com schrieb:

> There are a couple of online genealogies of this family.
>

> The other on Google Books in the "Nobilities of Europe" pages 397, 398
> and 222. But, as is usual with google books, it wont give page 222,
> which contains details of the current Count.

Thanks for the tip. Ruvigny, of course, like his descendants today,
used a French title to which he had no right, so perhaps he is not the
best authority on this particular subject.

For what it is worth, this is what he has to say sub Vismes:

"Gerard de Vismes of Normandy, who on the extinction of the senior line
of his family [who were descended in the direct male line from the
Sovereign Counts of Ponthieu and Vismes] had become Count of Vismes,
retired to England on the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes, and his
descendants have since remained there. Elisee William, Count de
Vismes, Col. Coldstream Guards, established the Nobility of his family,
and was recognised as Comte de Vismes by the French Government. He d.
1840 having married 1802 Jane [Scott]"

The descent is traced thus:

1a. William, Count de Vismes, "returned to France, where he was
accorded the style and rank of a Prince as a representative of the
Sovereign Counts of Ponthieu and Vismes". He had a younger son
Angilbert Valery, dsp 1909, and an elder son and heir:

2. Theobald Raoul William, Count de Vismes, 1832-1878; married 1858
Caroline Annie Musgrave (d 1903) and had issue:

3a. Valery Theobald William, Count de Vismes, 1859-1895 (father of
Alexander William Theobald, his heir, and of Count Lewis Robert Auriol
Musgrave de Vismes, born 1893, and two daughters)

3b. Count Raoul Guy Richard de Vismes de Ponthieu, 1864-1901, married
Beatrice Evelyn Hall; father of Richard Gerard de Vismes, born 1897

3c. Countess Elise Caroline Julia Bertha

3d. Countess Bertha Marianne Adelaide Jeanne

1b. Count Henry de Vismes, styled Viscount de Vismes, an Army officer;
19,12,1808 - 2.9.1874; married 1834 Caroline Sarah Sophia Jones (d
1877); parents of six sons and three daughters

1c. Eliza Jane, wife successively of Joseph Kane and the Revd H.
Shelford.

MA-R

Francois R. Velde

Nov 9, 2006, 11:14:51 PM11/9/06
In medio alt.talk.royalty aperuit steven...@hotmail.com os suum:

> There are a couple of online genealogies of this family.

> One on Gallica in the 1865 edition of "Annuaire de la noblesse de
> France et des maisons souveraines de l'Europe" pages 223-228. There are
> one or two bits I don't understand, and one or two bits that look
> doubtful.

The material seems to be mostly copied from Burke's Peerage. The de Vismes
family made it into Burke's Commoners (vol. 4, p. 320-322) but then somehow
into Burke's Peerage, at least for a while. I did not find them in 20th c.
editions of the Landed Gentry, though.

A sketch, based on this material, Ruvigny, and various notices in the Times,
can be found here:

www.heraldica.org/topics/britain/vismes.htm

According to Ruvigny, Elisee William received recognition of a title of
count on 1 Sep 1838 from the French government. What exactly that means,
and on what basis, I do not know. There doesn't seem to have been a
ancient noble family "de Vismes" before 1789, although there certainly
was a commoner family of that name in Amiens. One of them was an alderman
of Amiens in the 17th c., his grandson Pierre Martin de Vismes became
a tax farmer and bought the ennobling office of secretaire du Roi in
1757; two of his sons dabbled both in tax collection and in music,
one being Anne Pierre Jacques de Vismes de Valguay who was director
of the Paris opera in 1778, when the arrival of Gluck's music provoked
fistfights among opera fans.

ObRoyalty: in Sofia Coppola's movie Marie Antoinette, which I very much
liked, it was lovely to hear an excerpt of Rameau's Les Boreades, but
it off the mark. The problem was not so much that Les Boreades was in
rehearseal when Rameau died in 1764 and was never performed (Marie
Antoinette arrived in Paris in 1770); more to the point, Gluck's arrival
owes much to the young queen's tastes (she had learned to love his music
in Vienna), and the "revolution" he brought about in French opera can
certainly be credited to her. Having just seen Iphigenie en Tauride
in a stunning production by R. Carsen, I appreciate much more how
revolutionary (and violent!) Gluck's music was, and cannot help but
wonder if the queen did too.

Anyway, the entry in the Annuaire de la noblesse de France seems to
claim a de Vismes as secretaire du Roi related to the English branch,
but the identification cannot be correct. There is only one secretaire
du Roi by that name, and his ancestry does not match with the English
de Vismes, whose progenitor alledgedly came from Normandy in any case.

> The other on Google Books in the "Nobilities of Europe" pages 397, 398
> and 222. But, as is usual with google books, it wont give page 222,
> which contains details of the current Count.

He also has an entry on them in his 1914 Titled Nobility of Europe.

At this point, it seems that the pretensions of the de Vismes are old
mythical.
--
François R. Velde

ve...@nospam.org (replace by "heraldica")

Heraldica Web Site: http://www.heraldica.org/

mj...@btinternet.com

Nov 10, 2006, 2:53:09 AM11/10/06

Francois R. Velde schrieb:

> In medio alt.talk.royalty aperuit steven...@hotmail.com os suum:
> > There are a couple of online genealogies of this family.
>
> > One on Gallica in the 1865 edition of "Annuaire de la noblesse de
> > France et des maisons souveraines de l'Europe" pages 223-228. There are
> > one or two bits I don't understand, and one or two bits that look
> > doubtful.
>
> The material seems to be mostly copied from Burke's Peerage. The de Vismes
> family made it into Burke's Commoners (vol. 4, p. 320-322) but then somehow
> into Burke's Peerage, at least for a while. I did not find them in 20th c.
> editions of the Landed Gentry, though.
>
> A sketch, based on this material, Ruvigny, and various notices in the Times,
> can be found here:
>
> www.heraldica.org/topics/britain/vismes.htm

Very interesting, Francois. The Louis Auriol Robert Musgrave de Vismes
who you show as "unattached", ff 1912, is "Lewis, born 1893", brother
of Alexander William Theobald; de Ruvigny calls him "Lewis Robert
Auriol Musgrave de Vismes".

The late "Sovereign Count" died in October aged 90 (i.e. born 1915/6);
it would be interesting to establish his parentage - the Telegraph
listed him with a surname of "Martin St Valery" which doesn't seem to
appear anywhere in these pedigrees: could he also have had a female
descent, I wonder.

MA-R

Derek Howard

Nov 10, 2006, 4:14:20 AM11/10/06

Francois R. Velde wrote:
<snip>

> A sketch, based on this material, Ruvigny, and various notices in the Times,
> can be found here:
>
> <www.heraldica.org/topics/britain/vismes.htm>
<snip>

To start with a very minor point but I note that while François has
"Élisée William, comte de Vismes (28 Jun 1758-31 Oct 1840), colonel
Coldstream Guards
~ 1802 Jeanne Salt (d. Jan 25, 1856 Exmouth aged 85), widow of Dr Hall,
sister of M. Salt "

Their names as evidenced in their wills proved in the PCC are :
"Elisha William de Vismes *commonly called* the Comte de Vismes of
Exmouth", Devon, 5 December 1840, (PROB 11/1937) [my emphasis] and
"Jane Comtesse De Vismes, Widow of Exmouth", Devon, 20 February 1856,
(PROB 11/2227).

It is quite an interesting family. I came across the death of one "De
Vismes, Julius Sullivan (Prince)", aged 49, in Stockbridge registration
district in the first quarter of 1876.
He would appear to be the "Juluis Sulivain Le Prince de Vismes et de
Ponthien of Llanuwchllyn" who was convicted 30 Dec 1871 in the
Merionethshire Court of Quarter Sessions, Hilary Quarter 1872 for
trespass in search of game and for assault (Gwynedd Archives,
Meirionnydd Record Office, ZQS/H1872/40).

Also what is the story behind "Defendant: LAERMAUS, Albert de Ponthieu,
Raoul de Vismes Charge: Murder Aiding and abetting Session: 1890 July"?
(NA/PRO CRIM 1/33/5)

Meanwhile Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Record Service also hold
a glass lantern slide c 1900 of a "Henry Vicomte De Vismes"' tomb, in
the west side of the churchyard St. Peter's Bedford. So many different
titles!

Derek Howard

Francois R. Velde

Nov 10, 2006, 10:37:11 AM11/10/06
In medio alt.talk.royalty aperuit Derek Howard <dho...@skynet.be> os suum:

> To start with a very minor point but I note that while François has
> "Élisée William, comte de Vismes (28 Jun 1758-31 Oct 1840), colonel
> Coldstream Guards
> ~ 1802 Jeanne Salt (d. Jan 25, 1856 Exmouth aged 85), widow of Dr Hall,
> sister of M. Salt "

> Their names as evidenced in their wills proved in the PCC are :
> "Elisha William de Vismes *commonly called* the Comte de Vismes of
> Exmouth", Devon, 5 December 1840, (PROB 11/1937) [my emphasis] and
> "Jane Comtesse De Vismes, Widow of Exmouth", Devon, 20 February 1856,
> (PROB 11/2227).

> It is quite an interesting family. I came across the death of one "De
> Vismes, Julius Sullivan (Prince)", aged 49, in Stockbridge registration
> district in the first quarter of 1876.
> He would appear to be the "Juluis Sulivain Le Prince de Vismes et de
> Ponthien of Llanuwchllyn" who was convicted 30 Dec 1871 in the
> Merionethshire Court of Quarter Sessions, Hilary Quarter 1872 for
> trespass in search of game and for assault (Gwynedd Archives,
> Meirionnydd Record Office, ZQS/H1872/40).

I think he can be fit into my tree (see Julius, son of Francis and
Harriet Sullivan).

> Also what is the story behind "Defendant: LAERMAUS, Albert de Ponthieu,
> Raoul de Vismes Charge: Murder Aiding and abetting Session: 1890 July"?
> (NA/PRO CRIM 1/33/5)

The story made the Times. It concerns the death of one Edith Hall, 29,
wife of a barrister, who died apparently of a botched abortion. It was
avered that Raoul (younger son of Theobald Raoul William, aged 26 at the
time) was responsible for her condition, but he successfully claimed that
he had no prior knowledge of the attempt and he was not charged. The doctor,
whose name was Albert Laerman, was Belgian; he was also "received into
society as the viscount de Lerma". He was found guilty of manslaughter
on Aug 2, 1890 and sentenced to 15 years; the jury added that they were
of the opinion that Mr. de Ponthieu should have been charged.

Raoul de Vismes married six years later the daughter of a barrister named
Hall. He had entered the Indian Army from the Northamptonshire Regt in
1883, was promoted captain in 1894. He died of a lung congestion in Madras
in 1901.

> Meanwhile Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Record Service also hold
> a glass lantern slide c 1900 of a "Henry Vicomte De Vismes"' tomb, in
> the west side of the churchyard St. Peter's Bedford. So many different
> titles!

That would be the younger brother of "prince" William. Two of his sons
(Henry John Hugh and Charles Theobald) served in the Bedforshire Regiment.

Guy Stair Sainty

Nov 10, 2006, 12:56:21 PM11/10/06
In article <1163150060.7...@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com>, Derek Howard
says...

>Francois R. Velde wrote:
><snip>
>> A sketch, based on this material, Ruvigny, and various notices in the Tim=

>es,
>> can be found here:
>>
>> <www.heraldica.org/topics/britain/vismes.htm>
><snip>
>
>To start with a very minor point but I note that while Fran=E7ois has
>"=C9lis=E9e William, comte de Vismes (28 Jun 1758-31 Oct 1840), colonel

>Coldstream Guards
>~ 1802 Jeanne Salt (d. Jan 25, 1856 Exmouth aged 85), widow of Dr Hall,
>sister of M. Salt "
>
>Their names as evidenced in their wills proved in the PCC are :
>"Elisha William de Vismes *commonly called* the Comte de Vismes of
>Exmouth", Devon, 5 December 1840, (PROB 11/1937) [my emphasis] and
>"Jane Comtesse De Vismes, Widow of Exmouth", Devon, 20 February 1856,
>(PROB 11/2227).

Without suggesting that the claim to this title has any merit, I should point
out that the use of the phrase "commonly called" does not imply that a title is
false. For example, such an expression is customarily used for the holders of
courtesy titles (the eldest sons of peers with such), without in any way
implying there is something illicit about their use.

--
Guy Stair Sainty
www.chivalricorders.org/index3.htm