Ruger Single Six (Identifying Which Cylinder is .22 and which is .22 mag)

Norman R. Cross

Oct 25, 2009, 8:02:00 PM10/25/09
I just purchased a Ruger Single Six .22 with the extra cylinder for .22 Mag.
There was no box, paperwork, or manual with it but although a serial number
search showed it to be manufactured in 1975 it was inlike new condition.
Ruger's website had a link where I was able to download a owners manual.
Inside it says that the .22 cylinder is fluted but the .22 mag is not.
Problem is on mine both cylinders are fluted. Perhaps older ones were both
fluted but newer ones that the manual were not. The stampings on the face of
both cylinders match the serial number of the gun so they must be originals.
Also one cylinder has a recess where each cartridge head sits within, and
the other has a recessed groove between the ratchet and the outside edge of
the cylinder. Anybody know for sure which is for which round? I would assume
that the .22 mag would not quite fit in the .22 whereas the .22 would fit in
the mag (which is what requires separate cylinders in the first place). I
have sent an email to Ruger's customer service and expect an answer within
the next couple of days but thought someone here might have and answer to
this question .

Learn about rec.guns at http://www.recguns.net

Gray Ghost

Oct 26, 2009, 8:38:24 AM10/26/09
"Norman R. Cross" <nrc...@yahoo.com> wrote in

[...]

I have one of these and it is perhaps my favorite gun to shoot. The best
thing to advise is go to a shop that has .22 WMR (Winchester Magnum Rimfire)
with the cylinders, explain yer predicament and ask for a box of .22 WMR to
see if it fits in either cylinder, but be prepared to buy the box.

I just checked mine and I have the grooved cylinder in mine and I've been
shooting .22 LR in mine. Hopefully it's the right one.

When you cock it does it click 2 times or 4 times? Twice and it's the
"fixed" version, supposed to make it safer, blech! 4 times and it's original,
like the original Colt. Mine had the new stuff in it but the old stuff was
included, I put the original back. Just something about the sound.

Long Ranger

Oct 26, 2009, 8:38:27 AM10/26/09

If you try to poke a Mag round into the LR cylinder, it shouldn't go.

Gunny_2009

Oct 26, 2009, 8:38:28 AM10/26/09

Easy to check. Kind of like the concept of .38 Special and .357 Mag. The
larger cartridge will not fit in the smaller chamber but the smaller
cartridge will fit in either. After that you could get out your pocket
knife and scratch the designation on the side of cylinder so you will be
able to tell in the future. Heh heh. (Well, you COULD.)

nord...@yahoo.com

Oct 26, 2009, 8:38:32 AM10/26/09
# I would assume
# that the .22 mag would not quite fit in the .22 whereas the .22 would fit in
# the mag

The magnum will not enter the long rifle cylinder at all. The long
rifle will enter the magnum cylinder but it is a poor fit and an
unsafe combination. This is not a "38 special can be fired in a 357
magnum" scenario. The magnum and long rifle cases have different
diameters (.240 vs .225 at the neck). Proceed with caution.

Robert

Oct 26, 2009, 8:38:39 AM10/26/09
On Oct 25, 6:02�pm, "Norman R. Cross" <nrcr...@yahoo.com> wrote:

The outside diameter of the mag = 0.239" and the rim thickness =
0.051"
The long rifle diameter = 0.224" and the rim thickness = 0.046"
If you put long rifle in a mag cylinder, the case may crack and you
will probably get misfires

Larry Fishel

Oct 26, 2009, 8:38:41 AM10/26/09
I would wait for word from Ruger rather than rely on my deductions,
but if I had to guess, I would say the one with the individual
recesses for each case head is for the .22 mag. Higher pressure would
call for support around the case head to keep it from rupturing.

David

Oct 26, 2009, 12:41:14 PM10/26/09
On Oct 26, 5:38�am, Larry Fishel <ldfis...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Not sure about yours, but mine has a fluted cylinder for the 22 LR and
non-fluted for the 22 mag. Plus it is inscribed around the bottom with
"22 winchester magnum". Also, there are no recesses for the case
heads. Hope this helps.

David

Norman R. Cross

Oct 26, 2009, 6:15:11 PM10/26/09

"Larry Fishel" <ldfi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
#I would wait for word from Ruger rather than rely on my deductions,
# but if I had to guess, I would say the one with the individual
# recesses for each case head is for the .22 mag. Higher pressure would
# call for support around the case head to keep it from rupturing.

Just got the reply from Ruger--they said to do what I was thinking of and
what several here said-to try a Mag in both cylinders and see which one it
fits in.
According to them some were fluted and some were not. I will test fit the
chambers with a mag round tomorrow (need a new box of mags anyway).

N4ASX

Oct 26, 2009, 9:40:09 PM10/26/09
On Oct 26, 6:15�pm, "Norman R. Cross" <nrcr...@yahoo.com> wrote:
# "Larry Fishel" <ldfis...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
#
# news:hc458h$ug2$1...@news.albasani.net...
# #I would wait for word from Ruger rather than rely on my deductions,
# # but if I had to guess, I would say the one with the individual
# # recesses for each case head is for the .22 mag. Higher pressure would
# # call for support around the case head to keep it from rupturing.
#
# Just got the reply from Ruger--they said to do what I was thinking of and
# what several here said-to try a Mag in both cylinders and see which one it
# fits in.
# According to them some were fluted and some were not. I will test fit the
# chambers with a mag round tomorrow (need a new box of mags anyway).

I have an old Ruger single six and, when I purchased it from a friend,
it only had the 22 Mag cylinder. I sent the revolver back to Ruger
and they made me a .22LR cylinder and it IS fluted. I keep a few
spent .22 Mag shells in the box and one in the Mag cylinder. So I
know which is which. Ruger took a gun that look like a SOS, cleaned
it up and did the modification and sent me the old parts. I do a
great deal of teaching, so I left it modified. It's the best $125
plus $52 I've spend on a firearm. My friend told me that it performed
poorly with the .22LR (in the Mag cylinder). It now shots well.

Thats the cheap way to know which is which, but some folks have
scratched an "M" on the cylinder face, not my way to treat a firearm.

Rick

Norman R. Cross

Oct 27, 2009, 8:54:48 PM10/27/09

Deductions were correct. The .22 Mag round will not begin to fit one
cylinder