Intratec TEC-9, 9mm PRE-BAN blow-back Pistol

Kevin S.

May 17, 2009, 7:29:15 AM5/17/09
Ok so I just purchased aIntratec TEC-9, 9mm PRE-BAN blow-back
Pistol...
It was an impulse buy and I really was amazed at the price...

Very cool looking firearm...

So now I'm having buyers remorse...
a few friends seem to think that the tec-9 is a spray and pray POS...
And that only a gansta would shoot one and to be cool,aimed
sideways...

So...I put forth the question...:
Is the Intratec TEC-9, 9mm PRE-BAN blow-back Pistol an inaccurate POS
or not...

Kevin S.

Learn about rec.guns at http://www.recguns.net
Win a Fulton Armory .308 Titan Carbine and defend liberty at the
same time - Donate to MPFO today! Details at http://myguns.net

Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley

May 17, 2009, 8:24:29 PM5/17/09
On May 17, 5:29�am, "Kevin S." <kevsc...@gmail.com> wrote:
# Is the Intratec TEC-9, 9mm PRE-BAN blow-back Pistol an inaccurate POS
# or not...

It depends:
Will your example feed, fire, and eject reliably?
What size group will it produce at 25 yards?

Shawn

May 17, 2009, 8:24:34 PM5/17/09
Shot a friend's TEC-9 years ago. Jammed several times while firing only
one 30 rd. magazine worth of fmj ball ammo. Don't know about the
accuracy. I couldn't get off enough consecutive shots to make a
determination. IMHO, it was a POS. I would definitely NOT use it as a
defensive piece. Maybe as a fun plinking toy. But hey, it DOES have a
cool threaded barrel for the silencer that you can't put on it anyway.

I'm sure if you're into tinkering, there are ways to tweak it up to
improve reliability but as far as I'm concerned, any gun that is not
reliable enough to use for self defense is just an expensive paper weight.

Sorry, that's probably not the response you were hoping for. Just my
honest opinion.

Shawn
NRA Member
USCCA Member

George

May 17, 2009, 8:24:39 PM5/17/09
Shoot it and tell us. If it fires from an open bolt it will be a chore to
shoot well.
George in Las Vegas

Mark Crispin

May 17, 2009, 8:24:41 PM5/17/09
A TEC-9 is not "spray and pray" for the simple reason that it is a
semi-automatic weapon and thus incapable of spraying.

As a weapon, it is certainly effective. Columbine demonstrated that all
too well with a TEC-DC9.

An original TEC-9 that fires from an open bolt and is grandfathered as a
GCA-compliant semi-automatic firearm would probably have some collector
value. There aren't many of these. This was the notorious model that
could be converted to full-automatic fire.

The primary value of a closed-bolt TEC-9, TEC-DC9, and AB-10 is as a toy.
It looks cool and is entertaining as a recreational target shooting
firearm. It is certainly not a suitable firearm for competition shooting.
Nor is it particularly suitable as a self-defense firearm due to its size
and general awkwardness.

You said yourself that you got yours inexpensively and like the way that
it looks. Do you have fun shooting it? That's all that it important, not
what your friends think or say.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc

200...@gmail.com

May 17, 2009, 8:24:42 PM5/17/09
On May 17, 4:29�am, "Kevin S." <kevsc...@gmail.com> wrote:

in my opinion they are more fun that a pm-11

Mike Corey

May 17, 2009, 8:24:44 PM5/17/09
Kevin S. wrote:

#Is the Intratec TEC-9, 9mm PRE-BAN
# blow-back Pistol an inaccurate POS or not...

The answer is not yes, it's HELL YES.

japspy

May 18, 2009, 5:22:55 PM5/18/09
The Intratec TEC-9 is a simple designed blow-back type semi-automatic
pistol that works well as long as you use the brand and type
ammunition which is recommended in their owners manual which can be
found here:
http://akbs.ru/manuals/manual_it_9_en.pdf
The TEC-9 is not a "spray and pray" type firearm since it is not fully
automatic but is more designed for casual plinking although a few
years back, a couple of the narcotic officers on one of the larger
police departments in Oakland County here in Michigan used to carry
TEC-9's in addition to their sidearm on their drug raids. Have your
friends that are bad mouthing the pistol ever owned one themselves or
are they just repeating what they've heard somewhere else? If you got
the pistol at a good price, it works, and you're happy, who cares what
others think

Bud

May 18, 2009, 10:35:51 PM5/18/09
On Mon, 18 May 2009 21:22:55 +0000 (UTC), japspy <jap...@aol.com>
wrote:

#The Intratec TEC-9 is a simple designed blow-back type semi-automatic
#pistol that works well as long as you use the brand and type
#ammunition which is recommended in their owners manual which can be
#found here:
#http://akbs.ru/manuals/manual_it_9_en.pdf
#The TEC-9 is not a "spray and pray" type firearm since it is not fully
#automatic but is more designed for casual plinking although a few
#years back, a couple of the narcotic officers on one of the larger
#police departments in Oakland County here in Michigan used to carry
#TEC-9's in addition to their sidearm on their drug raids. Have your
#friends that are bad mouthing the pistol ever owned one themselves or
#are they just repeating what they've heard somewhere else? If you got
#the pistol at a good price, it works, and you're happy, who cares what
#others think

I own 3 of them and what japspy said is correct.

Jim Yanik

May 20, 2009, 7:22:36 AM5/20/09
Bud <k7...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:gut5u7$745$1...@news.albasani.net:

# I own 3 of them and what japspy said is correct.

What's the point of having THREE of the same gun?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

RB

May 20, 2009, 10:29:24 PM5/20/09
Jim Yanik wrote:
# Bud <k7...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:gut5u7$745$1...@news.albasani.net:
#
#
# # I own 3 of them and what japspy said is correct.
#
# What's the point of having THREE of the same gun?

Different variations?

I have 4 Llama .380s, all made in the 1940s, all different.

George

May 20, 2009, 10:29:26 PM5/20/09
# What's the point of having THREE of the same gun?

If you like something you should have as many of them as you can afford.
That's why most of us only have one woman.
George in Las Vegas

victor

May 20, 2009, 10:29:29 PM5/20/09
On May 20, 6:22 am, Jim Yanik <jya...@kua.net> wrote:
# Bud <k7...@yahoo.com> wrote innews:gut5u7$745$1...@news.albasani.net:
#
# # I own 3 of them and what japspy said is correct.
#
# What's the point of having THREE of the same gun?

If you have 3 M1 Garands, you can stack them:-)

Bud

May 20, 2009, 10:29:32 PM5/20/09
On Wed, 20 May 2009 11:22:36 +0000 (UTC), Jim Yanik <jya...@kua.net>
wrote:

#Bud <k7...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:gut5u7$745$1...@news.albasani.net:
#
#
## I own 3 of them and what japspy said is correct.
#
#What's the point of having THREE of the same gun?

I bought them at a time when just owning them made certain people mad.

Tony

May 20, 2009, 10:29:39 PM5/20/09
After serious thinking Jim Yanik wrote :
# Bud <k7...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:gut5u7$745$1...@news.albasani.net:
#
#
# # I own 3 of them and what japspy said is correct.
#
# What's the point of having THREE of the same gun?

So you can shoot one and lend two to your friends?

David R.Birch

May 21, 2009, 8:04:25 AM5/21/09
RB wrote:
# Jim Yanik wrote:
# # Bud <k7...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:gut5u7$745$1...@news.albasani.net:

# #
# #
# # # I own 3 of them and what japspy said is correct.
# #
# # What's the point of having THREE of the same gun?
#
# Different variations?
#
# I have 4 Llama .380s, all made in the 1940s, all different.

And I have 9 different FN49s, four different calibers, all different.
Why does there have to be a point?

David

Jim Yanik

May 21, 2009, 6:35:14 PM5/21/09
I can understand different calibers,and models with different
features(collecting),but 3 of the SAME?
Unless you like it so much that you want to spread the wear out over 3
guns,or have some for collection and one for shooting.

the Point is that you could use the money(and storage space) for OTHER
guns.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

RB

May 21, 2009, 6:35:16 PM5/21/09
David R.Birch wrote:
# RB wrote:
# # Jim Yanik wrote:
# # # Bud <k7...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:gut5u7$745$1...@news.albasani.net:

# # #
# # #
# # # # I own 3 of them and what japspy said is correct.
# # #
# # # What's the point of having THREE of the same gun?
# #
# # Different variations?
# #
# # I have 4 Llama .380s, all made in the 1940s, all different.
#
# And I have 9 different FN49s, four different calibers, all different.
# Why does there have to be a point?

Right. This IS America, after all :)

Bud

May 22, 2009, 7:27:54 AM5/22/09
On Thu, 21 May 2009 22:35:14 +0000 (UTC), Jim Yanik <jya...@kua.net>
wrote:

#I can understand different calibers,and models with different
#features(collecting),but 3 of the SAME?
#Unless you like it so much that you want to spread the wear out over 3
#guns,or have some for collection and one for shooting.
#
#the Point is that you could use the money(and storage space) for OTHER
#guns.

At the time storage and money were not issues, and there was no
shortage of other firearms.

Learn about rec.guns at http://www.recguns.net

Last call to win a Fulton Armory .308 Titan Carbine and defend
liberty at the same time! Details at http://myguns.net

Bill Klein

May 23, 2009, 6:48:47 AM5/23/09
wrote:

#I can understand different calibers,and models with different
#features(collecting),but 3 of the SAME?

#Unless you like it so much that you want to spread the wear out over 3
#guns,or have some for collection and one for shooting.
#
#the Point is that you could use the money(and storage space) for OTHER
#guns.

Who are you to try and tell someone what guns they should/shouldn't
collect?

The only reason I need to buy a firearm is "I want to"

Learn about rec.guns at http://www.recguns.net

Jim Yanik

May 23, 2009, 10:37:28 AM5/23/09
Bill Klein <blk...@earthlink.net> wrote in

# wrote:
#
# #I can understand different calibers,and models with different
# #features(collecting),but 3 of the SAME?
# #Unless you like it so much that you want to spread the wear out over 3
# #guns,or have some for collection and one for shooting.

# #
# #the Point is that you could use the money(and storage space) for OTHER

# #guns.
#
# Who are you to try and tell someone what guns they should/shouldn't
# collect?
#
# The only reason I need to buy a firearm is "I want to"

WHERE did I "try to tell him what to collect"?
I was wondering about his reasoning.

So,don't get your panties in a wad.

--
Jim Yanik