Have opportunity to buy a good used Cobra Derringer . Questions please.

ilbe...@gmail.com

May 21, 2012, 2:46:09 PM5/21/12
Its a Cobra BK PG14 Derringer. .380 cal. 2 shot. Cant find
anything online about this particular model. Are Cobras considered
good quality Derringer/Pistols ? Do they have a good reputation ?
Any tips ?

Learn about rec.guns at http://www.recguns.net

JerryD(upstateNY)

May 21, 2012, 5:35:56 PM5/21/12
Here's my tip.
Buy a Ruger .380 LCP.
You can buy one for about $300.00 or less.
It's new, reliable and has 7 shots.

--
JerryD(upstateNY)

Sheldon

May 22, 2012, 10:52:04 AM5/22/12

"IlBe...@gmail.com" <ilbe...@gmail.com> wrote in message
# Its a Cobra BK PG14 Derringer. .380 cal. 2 shot. Cant find
# anything online about this particular model. Are Cobras considered
# good quality Derringer/Pistols ? Do they have a good reputation ?
# Any tips ?
#
#

Research tells me they are just run of the mill Derringers, inexpensive and
nothing special. Most people say the novelty soon wears off and they either
move up to a "real" .380 or the gun just winds up in a safe. Also, those
large bore Cobras are a real handful to shoot.

Most people get .22 Derringers, easier to shoot, and North American Arms
seems to be the gold standard without getting a vintage piece. I can't even
imagine what it would be like to shoot a .38 or .380 Derringer. I've also
seen them in .45 LC.

Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley

May 22, 2012, 11:18:16 AM5/22/12
On Monday, May 21, 2012 12:46:09 PM UTC-6, IlBe...@gmail.com wrote:
# Its a Cobra BK PG14 Derringer. .380 cal. 2 shot. Cant find
# anything online about this particular model.

Try harder...
http://www.cobrapistols.net/

ilbe...@gmail.com

May 22, 2012, 12:29:36 PM5/22/12
They are also offered in .410 shot shells .

ilbe...@gmail.com

May 22, 2012, 12:29:37 PM5/22/12
I went to their website. So, dont be condescending. Im looking for
unbiased opinions on thier pistols....not from the manufacturer of
them .

ilbe...@gmail.com

May 22, 2012, 12:29:34 PM5/22/12
On May 21, 4:35=A0pm, "JerryD\(upstateNY\)" <jer...@rochester.rr.com>
wrote:
# Here's my tip.
# Buy a Ruger .380 LCP.
# You can buy one for about $300.00 or less.
# It's new, reliable and has 7 shots.

I already have a Smith and Wesson lightweight .38 special. I want a
Derringer for the appeal , looks, and history.

Sheldon

Jun 4, 2012, 5:35:20 AM6/4/12

# They are also offered in .410 shot shells .
#
#
Yup. Bond Arms has a Derringer that shoots both .410/.45 Colt. The reviews
are good, claiming the grip is a little longer and makes the gun easy to
shoot, or should I say "easier" to shoot.

http://www.gunblast.com/Bond-Derringer.htm

Stanley Schaefer

Jun 4, 2012, 1:14:03 PM6/4/12
On Jun 4, 3:35=A0am, "Sheldon" <shel...@sopris.net> wrote:
# "IlBeBa...@gmail.com" <ilbeba...@gmail.com> wrote in message
#
# news:jpgetf$nlc$1...@news.albasani.net...
# # They are also offered in .410 shot shells =A0.
# #
# #
# Yup. Bond Arms has a Derringer that shoots both .410/.45 Colt. The review=
# are good, claiming the grip is a little longer and makes the gun easy to
# shoot, or should I say "easier" to shoot.
#
# http://www.gunblast.com/Bond-Derringer.htm
#
Yes, but it's larger than a J frame, only has two shots and takes
forever to reload. Unless you're really wedded to the "Old West"
thing, get something substantial for self-defense and a repeater. The
cheap derringers used to be cast zinc with steel barrel liners and
were strictly end-of-the-arm accurate, for the cost of the better made
ones, you can find a revolver or pocket pistol in a more powerful
caliber, more accurate at a longer distance and just about as small.
They're a novelty item, not a serious self-defense gun.

Stan

Shall not be infringed

Jun 4, 2012, 6:51:12 PM6/4/12
On Monday, May 21, 2012 2:46:09 PM UTC-4, IlBe...@gmail.com wrote:
# Its a Cobra BK PG14 Derringer. .380 cal. 2 shot. Cant find
# anything online about this particular model. Are Cobras considered
# good quality Derringer/Pistols ? Do they have a good reputation ?
# Any tips ?

Get a 3" C-clamp. You'll need it get the trigger "squeezed."

I shot one in 9mm. I couldn't begin to guess what it took to break the sear.

It did look nice and seemed to be of decent quality, unlike the used F.I.E. derringers I've seen in 38 special.

para.n...@yahoo.com

Aug 1, 2012, 7:06:03 PM8/1/12
A once rec.gun member, and good friend FlimFlam, gave me an American Arms D
erringer in 45 Colt/410. I haven=92t tried the .45 colt, but the .410 isn
=92t as bad as I thought. Not saying its pleasant, but not earth shattering
either.

Ray,

(Si vis pacem
para bellum)