Canada .32ACP prohibited?

baryo...@gmail.com

Aug 1, 2007, 7:38:39 AM8/1/07

Hello All,

Why a firearm that fires .32ACP is prohibited while firearms chambered
for more powerful
calibers like .40S&W, .45ACP are not?

baryon

Learn about rec.guns at http://www.recguns.net
Win a Fulton Armory Tactical Titan .308 while defending liberty. The
MPFO summer rifle raffle is now under way at http://www.myguns.net

mred

Aug 1, 2007, 10:42:36 AM8/1/07
On Aug 1, 7:38 am, baryonp...@gmail.com wrote:

Because its government policy ?Same with .25 calibers and barrel
lengths 4" or less..

mred

sta...@prolynx.com

Aug 1, 2007, 10:42:38 AM8/1/07
On Aug 1, 5:38 am, baryonp...@gmail.com wrote:
# Hello All,
#
# Why a firearm that fires .32ACP is prohibited while firearms chambered
# for more powerful
# calibers like .40S&W, .45ACP are not?
#
# baryon
#
It's a "Saturday Night Special" Ban. .32 ACP is chambered in any
number of cheap guns that the folks in power don't want the poorer
classs to have.. The other calibers need more expensive guns.

Stan

George

Aug 1, 2007, 10:42:39 AM8/1/07
It might be concealability since they are smaller pistols.
George in Las Vegas

nb...@bigfoot.com

Aug 1, 2007, 8:47:13 PM8/1/07
In article <f8q64u$bp9$1...@grapevine.wam.umd.edu>, sta...@prolynx.com
says...
# On Aug 1, 5:38 am, baryonp...@gmail.com wrote:
# # Hello All,

# #
# # Why a firearm that fires .32ACP is prohibited while firearms chambered
# # for more powerful
# # calibers like .40S&W, .45ACP are not?
# #
# # baryon
# #

# It's a "Saturday Night Special" Ban. .32 ACP is chambered in any
# number of cheap guns that the folks in power don't want the poorer
# classs to have.. The other calibers need more expensive guns.

FWIW .25 and .32 caliber (not just the ACP variants) handguns are
prohibited in Canada with the exception of a few target models that the
Olympic shooting team uses.

Advocate54

Aug 1, 2007, 8:47:19 PM8/1/07

<sta...@prolynx.com> wrote in message
# On Aug 1, 5:38 am, baryonp...@gmail.com wrote:
# # Hello All,

# #
# # Why a firearm that fires .32ACP is prohibited while firearms chambered
# # for more powerful
# # calibers like .40S&W, .45ACP are not?
# #

# # baryon
# #
# It's a "Saturday Night Special" Ban. .32 ACP is chambered in any
# number of cheap guns that the folks in power don't want the poorer
# classs to have.. The other calibers need more expensive guns.
#
There are a lot of junk pistols chambered in .380, 9mm and .40 too. I
personally hate "Saturday Night Special" bans as it is very discriminatory;
those that live in inner cities and need defensive protection the most
generally cannot afford $500 Glocks.

wb

Aug 2, 2007, 7:41:02 AM8/2/07
George wrote:
# It might be concealability since they are smaller pistols.
# George in Las Vegas
#
Small and accurate pistols. I carry a Walther PPK in .32ACP or as
they call it in Europe, the 7.65 Browning. The round is such that the
little PPK has mild recoil but can shoot easily through a pressure
treated 2x6. That's enough umph that I certainly would not be on the
receiving end. The round, in the PPK is accurate and a lot of fun to
shoot. I planted the best group out of my conceal carry class with the
little PPK. Everyone chuckled at first till they saw how accurate that
little pistol was. I guess the ban has more to do with the large number
of ultra cheap semi auto hand guns in both .25 and .32 cal. Some of
these can be bought new for well under $200.00 (The Walther PPK is over
twice that.)
-
.

Gunny_2007

Aug 2, 2007, 7:41:06 AM8/2/07

<baryo...@gmail.com> wrote in message

#
# Hello All,
#
# Why a firearm that fires .32ACP is prohibited while firearms chambered
# for more powerful
# calibers like .40S&W, .45ACP are not?
#
# baryon

As much as I hate playing the race card, there is a time. A spokesman for
the Black community in Washington, D.C. spoke a few years ago on the subject
of Saturday Night Special bans and who they were aimed at. He posed a few
leading questions.
1. Who is the most frequent victim of violent crime?
2. Who is most likely to live in high crime inner city neighborhoods?
3. What demographic group is probably the least financially able to afford
an expensive high-end gun?
4. Who will suffer the most from the lack of availability of lower cost
firearms to defend themselves and their families?
The answer to all of these was, poor minorities. Just because a person is
poor and can't afford an expensive firearm doesn't mean they don't have the
right to self defense. Sure, an inexpensive gun will not hold up to the
high volume, heavy use of a more expensive gun. But, it doesn't have to.
If you keep it clean and occasionally make sure it will function, an
inexpensive gun can fill the need for a poor man's self defense. Sounds
like the government of Canada is trying to make a statement about who they
trust and who they don't trust. The same thing applies to our own U.S.
jurisdictions that try to limit gun ownership to high-end weapons.

Bill Poole

Aug 2, 2007, 7:41:11 AM8/2/07

# FWIW .25 and .32 caliber (not just the ACP variants) handguns are
# prohibited in Canada with the exception of a few target models that the
# Olympic shooting team uses.

International Centerfire Pistol is almost always fired with a .32 S&W Long
wadcutter semi-auto. Like a Pardini HP. http://www.pardini.it/

its not an "Olympic" sport, but it is identical to olympic "Women's Sport
Pistol" wherein a .22LR is used. But Centerfire is a World Championships
sport.

http://www.targetshooting.ca/ is where the international/olympic style
shooters in canada hang out.

Shoot good

Poole

GatherNoMoss

Aug 2, 2007, 4:39:36 PM8/2/07
On Aug 2, 7:41 am, wb <archangel...@yahoo.com> wrote:
# Small and accurate pistols. I carry a Walther PPK in .32ACP or as
# they call it in Europe, the 7.65 Browning. The round is such that the
# little PPK has mild recoil but can shoot easily through a pressure
# treated 2x6.

Ahhh...through the 6 inch axis I assume ?

I'd like to see that !

I doubt my .380 would do that.

Hank

Aug 2, 2007, 4:39:47 PM8/2/07
On Aug 1, 7:47 pm, "Advocate54" <llaf...@hotmail.com> wrote:

# There are a lot of junk pistols chambered in .380, 9mm and .40 too. I

# personally hate "Saturday Night Special" bans as it is very discriminatory;
# those that live in inner cities and need defensive protection the most
# generally cannot afford $500 Glocks.
#

Discrimination was indeed the original intent. The full name was
"N*gger town saturday night special", and the laws were pushed thru to
stop "those people" from having guns. Over the years, the definition
of "those people" has changed, and they use those laws in many states
to keep the prices of guns up and the selection down. Some states
(Maryland for sure, MA maybe? CA probably) have to pass special
exceptions to their saturday night special bans so that their police
forces can buy the guns that they "need". Hmmm, too cheap and
dangerous for the populace, but the police can't find anything
better.

There's a (famous?) quote which I can't find right now to the effect
that a man's morals are defined by what he can tolerate when it's done
to others.

Gunny_2007

Aug 3, 2007, 7:13:54 AM8/3/07

"Hank" <HenryR...@gmail.com> wrote in message

[...]

Interesting insight into the problem. I agree with you. It kind of
reminds me of the quote that refers to something about watching the Nazis
coming to take away the Jews, and saying nothing, then watching them come
take away the Gypsies, and doing nothing, and then when they came to take me
away, there was no one left to object to MY persecution. Would you have any
objections if I include part of your posting in our club's next newsletter
on the subject of tolerating Saturday Night Special prohibitions? It will
be along the line of not tolerating infringement of gun rights simply
because the law will not affect me personally.

MCheu

Aug 3, 2007, 8:52:48 PM8/3/07
On Wed, 1 Aug 2007 11:38:39 +0000 (UTC), baryo...@gmail.com wrote:

#
#Hello All,
#
#Why a firearm that fires .32ACP is prohibited while firearms
#chambered for more powerful calibers like .40S&W, .45ACP are not?
#
#baryon
#

Officially, the spin from the Justice Minister at the time was the old
Saturday night special BS. Essentially, the spin was that pistols in
..32 cal and .25 cal, as well as rifles and handguns in .50BMG have no
legitimate use in Canada. The .32 and .25 pistols tend to be smaller
pocket pistols, which are primarily designed for concealability for
the purpose of self defense. That's not a valid reason to own
anything under Canadian law as Canadians can't own "weapons." Even
having an Inuit statue would be a no-no, if you kept it on your
nightstand for the express purpose of braining a potential intruder.
The Minister even made comments to the effect that such pistols were
unsuitable for "target shooting." He had to amend the draft when a
few female international shooting champions stepped up to remind him
that some of the target pistols used in their sport were .32 calibre.
The only other legal reason for gun ownership in Canada is collecting,
which Mr. Rock (former justice minister) scoffed at, with some members
of his staff suggesting sports cards as an alternative.

Unofficially, in some post election interviews with him after he
retired from office, it seems that in early drafts of the legislation,
there was to be a TOTAL handgun ban. However, it was deemed that such
a change was too drastic and involved too big a political cost even
within their own party. They opted for a compromise, which was a
partial ban, involving what they considered to be statistically
unpopular calibres to minimize the fallout. Owners of .32 and .25 cal
pistols will probably claim that these are popular, but compared to
the number of guns in .38sp, .357mag, 40S&W, 9mm, etc, they're numbers
are relatively small in percentage, at least in Canada. The idea was
to do the ban in smaller steps to get people used to the idea of a
handgun ban and reduce the political fallout from each step.

(Why is it that whenever there's a "compromise," the gun control
people never have to give up anything?)

When the last federal election came around, the Liberals were hurting
politically. The scandals over missing funds and overspending in the
gun registry and sponsorship program cost them heavily. I guess they
felt they had nothing to lose because they trotted out the full
handgun ban as a campaign promise in the last election. When the
Conservatives won the last federal election, that proposal largely
died, and a lot of gun control groups lost federal funding -- I didn't
even know that the federal government gave money to those people until
then.

----------------------------
Thanks

MCheu

Roe Thomas

Aug 8, 2007, 8:00:22 PM8/8/07
baryo...@gmail.com wrote:
Their Gov. want to prove that all the brain dead in North America don't
live in Washington DC

ricono...@gmail.com

Dec 8, 2019, 9:21:17 AM12/8/19

You canot even carry a firearm on your person in Canada unless youre a government official
who’s required. Which is why “self defense” calibers are banned since theres no need for them.
Yet they think a person cant just remove the rod in the sks magazines that prevents you from
make a suppresor for a .22 with a steel tube, brass grommets and steel rings for spacing
between the grommets. Just an example of a prohibited item a person could procure themselves
if they freaking felt lime it.