Ruger Mini-14: What are best mags?

eab...@connect.net

Jun 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/2/96

I'm looking for info on the most reliable aftermarket extended
magazines for the .223 Caliber Ruger Mini-14. What are the best
aftermarket brands and what are the worst? What are sources for these
magazines (i.e. Sportsman's Guide).

I understand that Ruger magazines are the best, but they are virtually
impossible to find. I've heard that most of the 30 round aftermarket
magazines aren't reliable.

Thanks.

Bill Cook

Jun 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/2/96

I have just gone through the triles of tring to find a good after market
mag for the mini and have found none tha eaven work ok. By far the worst
were U.S.A. brand I bought six of them and had to return all. The best
bet is to find real ruger mag and pay the price. You might want to try
Jim Rawles at the Clear Water Trading Co or some of the larger mag
outfits in the shotgun news. You will have to call and ask them if thay
have any real ruger mags.

Lots of luck
Bill

K. Stephen Griffiths

Jun 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/3/96

#
#I understand that Ruger magazines are the best, but they are virtually
#impossible to find. I've heard that most of the 30 round aftermarket
#magazines aren't reliable.
#
#Thanks.
#
#
I use USA brand magazines. I am not sure just how available they are
anymore, but I have never had one malfunction

John or Irene Burton

Jun 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/3/96

I've had excellent results with my 20rd steel magazines by
Precision. Have had very poor performance from comparible
USA magazines. No problems at all with the Precision Magazines.
Bought them at a local gun shop.

Just my experience, others may vary.

John Burton

In article <4osg0u$b...@xring.cs.umd.edu>, eab...@connect.net says:
#

IcemanG17

Jun 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/3/96

Well I have a real "Ruger" 30 round mag for my mini-14. It is the worst
mag I have, it never feeds the last 2 in the mag!! Always hangs up on the
edge of the mag. I have several from various other Manufacters & they all
work good (including the USA, believe it or not) I do like the 35rnd
clear plastic Eagles (they work great & you can see how many you got
left), they do look funny in the gun though.
Brian
A-32175

Rod Regier

Jun 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/3/96

In article <4osg0u$b...@xring.cs.umd.edu>, eab...@connect.net writes:
# I'm looking for info on the most reliable aftermarket extended
# magazines for the .223 Caliber Ruger Mini-14. What are the best
# aftermarket brands and what are the worst? What are sources for these
# magazines (i.e. Sportsman's Guide).
#
# I understand that Ruger magazines are the best, but they are virtually
# impossible to find. I've heard that most of the 30 round aftermarket

# magazines aren't reliable.

Before things got stupid in Canada regarding magazine capacities,
I found that the Thermold polymer 30 rd magazines made for the Mini-14
worked well. I sold the Mini-14 and the magazines before the law
changed.

Mike Coonrod

Jun 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/3/96

John or Irene Burton (jbu...@itctel.com) wrote:

: I've had excellent results with my 20rd steel magazines by

: Precision. Have had very poor performance from comparible
: USA magazines. No problems at all with the Precision Magazines.
: Bought them at a local gun shop.

: #
The ramline plastic 30 rnd mags work great in mini14s....Mike

John Fowler

Jun 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/4/96

In <4ou1dp$j...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> icem...@aol.com (IcemanG17)
writes:
#
#Well I have a real "Ruger" 30 round mag for my mini-14. It is the
worst
#mag I have, it never feeds the last 2 in the mag!! Always hangs up on
the
#edge of the mag. I have several from various other Manufacters & they
all
#work good (including the USA, believe it or not) I do like the 35rnd
#clear plastic Eagles (they work great & you can see how many you got
#left), they do look funny in the gun though.
#Brian
#A-32175

I have the clear plastic Eagle mags also. They have worked perfectly
in my mini-14. And the fit is great. I am not confident about their
long term reliability however. The metal fasteners that hold the two
springs to the plastic case appear to be the weak link. The metal
fastener on one of my Eagle mags for my mini-30 broke, rendering the
mag useless. Eagle promptly replaced the defective mag. Bottom
line, the Eagles are great for light duty use.

John

Joseph D. Whittemore III

Jun 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/5/96

In article <4osg0u$b...@xring.cs.umd.edu>, eab...@connect.net says...
#
#I'm looking for info on the most reliable aftermarket extended
#magazines for the .223 Caliber Ruger Mini-14.

<snip>

'Precision Magazines' have worked 100% 'right out of the box'. USA magazines
require a 'tune up' after which they've worked 95%: most common 'failure' is
the 'dumping' of the last round (throwing the live round right out when the
action cycles the previous spent casing out - probably due to a mis-adjustment
of the magazine durring 'tune-up'). Approx 99% of the USA magazines do not
drop free 'right out of the box' - approx. 66% drop free after a 'tune-up'.

I purchased .223 stripper clips (for AR15 / M16) from 'Cheaper Than Dirt'.
'Cheaper Than Dirt' is now carying STRIPPER CLIP GUIDES for the Mini-14!!!!!
Up untill now I've NEVER seen these guides available - THEY WORK GREAT with
the USA magazines but require an 'adjustment' prior to use with the
'Precision' magazines (or closer attention to alignment when using them with
'Precision').

DO NOT buy the magazines (Ram-Line is it?????) that are advertised as working
with either the AR15 or the Mini-14: 100% failure 'right out of the box' with
my Mini-14 (worked "OK" in the AR).

Try LGA for the 'Precision
Magazines'
Firearms & Accessories
(541) 884-3016
lan...@cdsnet.net

Post Post Script: I'll send the 'tune-up' instructions for USA if you like
(request via e-mail)

- joe w.

Rod Regier

Jun 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/5/96

In article <4ovjak$c...@hpax.cup.hp.com>,

mcoo...@hpax.cup.hp.com (Mike Coonrod) writes:
# The ramline plastic 30 rnd mags work great in mini14s....Mike

(Before the laws changed in Canada)

I found that the ramline 30's didn't consistently operate
the bolt hold-open when empty, and I had one body
spontaneously break when loading cartridges into it.
It split along a seam.

However, they did feed and function ok within those limitations.

o10...@a81.corp.mot.com

Jun 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/6/96

(Mike Coonrod) writes:
# John or Irene Burton (jbu...@itctel.com) wrote:
#
# : I've had excellent results with my 20rd steel magazines by
# : Precision. Have had very poor performance from comparible
# : USA magazines. No problems at all with the Precision Magazines.
# : Bought them at a local gun shop.
#
# : #

# The ramline plastic 30 rnd mags work great in mini14s....Mike
#

Interesting. The RamLine mags I have don't work well at all.

Scott S. Atkins

Jun 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/9/96

On Jun 02, 1996 12:37:50 in article <Ruger Mini-14: What are best mags?>,

'eab...@connect.net' wrote:

#I'm looking for info on the most reliable aftermarket extended
#magazines for the .223 Caliber Ruger Mini-14. What are the best
#aftermarket brands and what are the worst? What are sources for these
#magazines (i.e. Sportsman's Guide).

Thermold magazines can't be beat! The only problem is finding them
nowadays...search through Shotgun News, you can usually find a few
companies that are still selling them, usually 20-30 bucks each...
--
Be Safe!

Scott S. Atkins
Fresno, CA
scott_...@usa.pipeline.com

Max AR

Jun 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/9/96

In article <4ou1dp$j...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>, icem...@aol.com
(IcemanG17) writes:

#Well I have a real "Ruger" 30 round mag for my mini-14. It is the worst
#mag I have, it never feeds the last 2 in the mag!! Always hangs up on
the
#edge of the mag. I have several from various other Manufacters & they
all
#work good (including the USA, believe it or not) I do like the 35rnd
#clear plastic Eagles (they work great & you can see how many you got
#left), they do look funny in the gun though.
#Brian
#A-32175

Where did you get this mag? Are you sure it is a real Ruger mag? I have
seen many fake factory mags at gun shows, some of these are very good
fakes. I have about 25 factory mags and have never had a problem with any
of them.

Alan

Max Alan

Nick Passino

Jun 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/11/96

Thermomolds work best.
I found that they work EVEN better if you sand the restraining
ramps back about another .2" and deeper (shorten the length) by
about .4-.5"
--
- pas...@garply.com -
Comments or flames regarding grammar or spelling

Dbcooper

Jun 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/12/96

On 11 Jun 1996, Nick Passino wrote:

# Thermomolds work best.
# I found that they work EVEN better if you sand the restraining
# ramps back about another .2" and deeper (shorten the length) by
# about .4-.5"

Could you please suggest where I might find a source for these...
I need some really bad, if they insert as good as the one I got to try in
one...

PLEASE respond direct email to me, in addition to the List if you
wish...

thanks,
db

A. Everett Logan

Jun 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/20/96

Although I have heard many bad things about them, and I will be the first
to admit that they are not the prettiest in the world, my two Triple-K 30
rd. mags work great. I have never had a problem, but this is only after
about 200 rds. so maybe I'm counting my chickens... But, despite their
"bargain-basement" appearance, mine have been very reliable.