shilen barrels

lio...@maple.circa.ufl.edu

Apr 29, 1993, 6:44:51 PM4/29/93

Simple question...cost of a shilen fluted 26" barrel in .308/.300WM
for a Remington 700 action. Black chrome or parkerized.

Brian

Bart Bobbitt

Apr 30, 1993, 3:21:59 PM4/30/93
Depending on the grade of Shilen barrel you get, the rifled blank will
cost about $140 for his standard grade to $210 for a select match grade.

Add $100 for fluting it.

Add $100 or more for chambering it and fitting it to your action.

Add $50 to $80 for the plating job.

So, that's close to $500 for what you want.

And if the fluting is done after the bore is finished, the stresses
caused by the fluting will change the bore/groove dimensions; it won't
shoot accurately. If you really want a fluted barrel, please
ask the barrel maker to flute it before he finishes the bore.

May I be so bold as to ask you why you want a Shilen barrel for a 30
caliber cartridge? Shilen barrels don't last very long; they wear out
about 3 times as fast as equivalent, or even better quality barrels from
a few other makers for the same price and quality.

BB

lio...@maple.circa.ufl.edu

Apr 30, 1993, 7:01:23 PM4/30/93
In article <C69xo...@fc.hp.com>, ba...@hpfcla.fc.hp.com (Bart Bobbitt) writes:
|>May I be so bold as to ask you why you want a Shilen barrel for a 30
|>caliber cartridge? Shilen barrels don't last very long; they wear out
|>about 3 times as fast as equivalent, or even better quality barrels from
|>a few other makers for the same price and quality.
|>
|>BB

Shilen barrels were recommended to me by a friend. If someone has a better
recommendation for a barrel that:

1. Is in .308/.300WM
2. Is fluted
3. Is black chrome/parkerized/etc. ( which is best )
4. 26" long
5. Works with Remingto 700 action.

I would appreciate cost information.

Thanks,