QUICK WAY OF STRIPPING BLUE OFF GUN

brian stewart

Feb 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/10/97

Does anybody know a quick safe way of taking bluing off a gun. Do you
have to sandblast the finish off or is there a chemical available which
can take the bluing off.

Signed;
Brian

Please e-mail me at Kal...@ix.netcom.com

Bruce Markowitz

Feb 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/12/97

You can disassemble the gun and drop it into a bucket of acid
(hydrochloric? - it's the stuff they sell to clean driveways, I forget
the name). It takes the b lue right off - but, remember that the gun
is not down to the bare metal, and will rust within two minutes in air
unless you wash it immediately and drench it in oil or drop it into a
blue/parkerizing tank.
( I seem to remember the driveway stuff has another name, but it is
hydrochloric acid anyway - when I think of it I'll post it. I have
done this, and it works!)

kal...@ix.netcom.com (brian stewart ) wrote:

#Does anybody know a quick safe way of taking bluing off a gun. Do you
#have to sandblast the finish off or is there a chemical available which
#can take the bluing off.

#Signed;
#Brian

#Please e-mail me at Kal...@ix.netcom.com

Reply here (sco...@worldnet.att.net) or:
tren...@aol.com

Kevin Pinkerton

Feb 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/12/97

On 10 Feb 1997 18:42:57 -0500, kal...@ix.netcom.com (brian stewart )
wrote:

#
#Does anybody know a quick safe way of taking bluing off a gun. Do you
#have to sandblast the finish off or is there a chemical available which
#can take the bluing off.

I have heard toilet bowl cleaner works well, but I have not tried it.
However, go get some navel jelly, that stuff works like magic. be
careful, because it will instantly take blueing off of everything.

Kevin

kpin...@super.zippo.com
kpin...@erols.com

LETH'R

Feb 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/12/97

Try soaking the part in brake fluid, and rubbing with coarse burlap or 0000
fine steel wool.

brian stewart <kal...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in article
<5dobq1$4...@xring.cs.umd.edu>...
#
# Does anybody know a quick safe way of taking bluing off a gun. Do you
# have to sandblast the finish off or is there a chemical available which
# can take the bluing off.
#
# Signed;
# Brian
#
# Please e-mail me at Kal...@ix.netcom.com
#
#

Dan Brown

Feb 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/12/97

kal...@ix.netcom.com (brian stewart ) wrote:

# Does anybody know a quick safe way of taking bluing off a gun. Do you

There are lots of chemicals which remove bluing. The most
well known is Naval Jelly, but that adds some other kind of coating.
Brownell's of Montezuma, IA, sells several products of this type; call
them at 515-623-5401.

--
Dan Brown, KE6MKS, da...@value.net
Finger bro...@holmes.uchastings.edu for public key & Geek Code

James H Galt-brown

Feb 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/12/97

Mr. Stewart:
Go to the local hardware store and buy a bottle of Naval Jelly.
That will do the job in a jiffy. Remember to remove all wood and plastic
parts, and READ THOSE DIRECTIONS!!!
HTH
Jim Galt-Brown

Grubby Jack

Feb 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/12/97

brian stewart wrote:
#
# Does anybody know a quick safe way of taking bluing off a gun. Do you
# have to sandblast the finish off or is there a chemical available which
# can take the bluing off.
#
# Signed;
# Brian
#
# Please e-mail me at Kal...@ix.netcom.com

Try NAVAL JELLY, it will work,
Jack

Alan Scott

Feb 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/12/97

On 10 Feb 1997 18:42:57 -0500, kal...@ix.netcom.com (brian stewart ) wrote:

Several months ago someone posted that Vanish Toilet Bowl Cleaning Gel would
remove the old blue instantly, but I have not tried it.

Alan

#
#Does anybody know a quick safe way of taking bluing off a gun. Do you
#have to sandblast the finish off or is there a chemical available which
#can take the bluing off.
#
#Signed;
#Brian
#
#Please e-mail me at Kal...@ix.netcom.com
#

Andykun66

Feb 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/12/97

Brian,
Naval Jelly, (the pink kind) will quickly remove blueing. I have
used it on several muzzleloaders, so that I could brown them. Do wear
rubber gloves when using it, though. It's pretty hard on the skin. Can be
purchased at just about any hardware store, or even Wal-Mart.
Good luck! Andy Overstreet.

Neil Dickey

Feb 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/12/97

brian stewart wrote:

# Does anybody know a quick safe way of taking bluing off a gun. Do you
# have to sandblast the finish off or is there a chemical available which
# can take the bluing off.

Birchwood Casey's blue and rust remover, available at most gunshops,
works very well.

Best regards,

Neil Dickey

RDJ

Feb 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/12/97

Bruce Markowitz wrote:
#
[...]

I think you're referring to muratic acid.

--
A government that robs Peter to pay Paul
can always count on the support of Paul.

The Gunrunner

Feb 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/12/97

brian stewart wrote:
#
# Does anybody know a quick safe way of taking bluing off a gun.

Here's an old "Grandpa's secret".

Tear gun down - wash in HOT SOAPY WATER - rinse in HOT water - soak
overnight in WHITE VINEGAR. In the morning, tell me what you see.

David Basiji

Feb 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/12/97

sco...@worldnet.att.net (Bruce Markowitz) writes:
#You can disassemble the gun and drop it into a bucket of acid
#(hydrochloric? - it's the stuff they sell to clean driveways, I forget
#the name). It takes the b lue right off - but, remember that the gun
#is not down to the bare metal, and will rust within two minutes in air
#unless you wash it immediately and drench it in oil or drop it into a
#blue/parkerizing tank.
#( I seem to remember the driveway stuff has another name, but it is
#hydrochloric acid anyway - when I think of it I'll post it. I have

#done this, and it works!)

It is hydrochloric acid, often sold as "muriatic" acid.

Dave

--
David A. Basiji bas...@u.washington.edu
http://weber.u.washington.edu/~basiji (206) 616-1549

man...@tech-center.com

Feb 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/14/97

brian stewart wrote:
# Does anybody know a quick safe way of taking bluing off a gun.

Uh, yeah. Just loan a gun to my friend Bill...

(Sorry, I couldn't resist the humor - I don't know how he did it, but he
did.)

Seriously, I'd suggest Navel Jelly followed by a *thorough* cleaning of
the weapon.

Tomia

Bray Haven

Feb 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/15/97

# Does anybody know a quick safe way of taking bluing off a gun. Do you
# have to sandblast the fini.

Naval jelly, works or a dilute strength solution of Phosphoric acid. I
saw a guy who had just eaten a hot dog touch a rifle barel this weekend
and the bluing disappeared where he touched it. He had mustard on his
hands. Mustard has ascetic acid in it (vinegar). Any way use the naval
jelly, just be sure to totally degrease the gun before you put it on.

Greg Sefton

Jack Belk

Feb 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/15/97

On 12 Feb 1997 19:38:52 -0500, bas...@u.washington.edu
(David Basiji) wrote:

#sco...@worldnet.att.net (Bruce Markowitz) writes:
##You can disassemble the gun and drop it into a bucket of acid
##(hydrochloric? - it's the stuff they sell to clean driveways, I forget
##the name). It takes the b lue right off - but, remember that the gun
##is not down to the bare metal, and will rust within two minutes in air
##unless you wash it immediately and drench it in oil or drop it into a
##blue/parkerizing tank.
##( I seem to remember the driveway stuff has another name, but it is
##hydrochloric acid anyway - when I think of it I'll post it. I have
##done this, and it works!)
#
#It is hydrochloric acid, often sold as "muriatic" acid.
#
#Dave
#
#--
#David A. Basiji bas...@u.washington.edu
#http://weber.u.washington.edu/~basiji (206) 616-1549
#UW Bioengineering/Molecular Biotechnology
# "I don't speak for the University of Washington."
#
Bad move!! By dunking you are etching all parts including
the bore and wear surfaces. Better method is brushing on
Naval Jelly (sold in paint and hardware stores). Just follow
directions and if you arent going to reblue soon, give the
parts a lite coat of protection. BTW, several applications
of Naval Jelly gives a French Gray finish that is
surprisingly rust resistant.
Jack Belk

Doug Howell

Feb 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/15/97

Muriatic acid is what you want to look for. Nothing more
than the common name for dilute hydrochloric acid. Sold
in hardware stores in gallon quantities for cleaning
driveways. Very inexpensive, but you'll undoubtedly
have leftovers if you're only stripping one or two guns.
Dumping blued parts in straight muriatic acid (don't know
the % concentration right offhand) will usually strip off
the bluing in short order. I usually dilute the solution a
bit just to slow the process down. On one occasion of major
brain fade, I left a barreled Krag-Jorgenson sporter action
in the solution overnight with no major ill effects, although
it was clear that longer immersion would have pickled the
finish more than desired, and probably begun etching the
the bore unacceptably (in truth, the Krag's bore was originally
so dark that the it looked better afterwards, but I'm sure
it would have damaged a shiny new barrel...)

As with any acid, you need to handle with care, using heavy rubber
gloves, adequate ventilation, and rinsing the heck out of everything.

To minimize the mess, I fabbed a couple inexpensive plastic
trays for stripping and rinsing barreled actions. Since I
wanted a couple long, shallow, narrow, open vessels (and didn't
want to spend the bucks for professional bluing vats), I
originally thought I could use 36" planting trays, but they
were too short for full-length barreled actions. I then
bought a length of plastic roof eaves and several solid
end caps (the modular kind available from Home Base, etc.).
Cut to length (about 42"), attached the end caps, and sealed
them with silicone seal. I've used them for stripping, rinsing,
and rust bluing several rifles and they seem to be holding up well.

BTW, Naval Jelly is simply muriatic acid with emulsifiers and
jelling agents to make it easier to manage. I've never used white
vinegar, but old-time gunsmithing books talk about it as a stripping
agent also. Probably worth a try, especially if I were worried about
kids and pets poking around the shop...

Best Regards,
Doug Howell
Boise, Idaho

Tom Jennings

Feb 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/15/97

David Basiji wrote:
#
# sco...@worldnet.att.net (Bruce Markowitz) writes:
# #You can disassemble the gun and drop it into a bucket of acid
# #(hydrochloric? - it's the stuff they sell to clean driveways, I forget
# #the name). It takes the b lue right off - but, remember that the gun
# #is not down to the bare metal, and will rust within two minutes in air
# #unless you wash it immediately and drench it in oil or drop it into a
# #blue/parkerizing tank.
# #( I seem to remember the driveway stuff has another name, but it is
# #hydrochloric acid anyway - when I think of it I'll post it. I have
# #done this, and it works!)
#
# It is hydrochloric acid, often sold as "muriatic" acid.# UW Bioengineering/Molecular Biotechnology

# "I don't speak for the University of Washington."
Ye Gods:
Hydrochloric acid will certainly strip the top off concrete, but is not
the stuff to remove blue from guns.

The active ingredient in Naval Jelly, rust remover for driveways and
Birchwood Casey Rust and Blue Remover is phosphoric acid.

Wash or throw away any rags, Q tips or steel wool immediately. Wish I
had thought to neutralixe the top of the bench too.

Tom

Bray Haven

Feb 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/17/97

Doug wrote:

<<BTW, Naval Jelly is simply muriatic acid with emulsifiers and
jelling agents to make it easier to manage. I've never used white
vinegar, but old-time gunsmithing books talk about it as a stripping
agent also. Probably worth a try, especially if I were worried about
kids and pets poking around the shop...>>

I believe Naval Jelly has phosphoric acid in it. Also be aware that
strong slutions of HCL (Muriatic acid) (as will phosphoric) will literally
dissolve a gun. It will even atack stainless steel. You must neutralize
any acid you put on to remove bluing to STOP the process. You might go to
get your favorite gun later and find it a rust ball.

Greg S.

gle...@gmail.com

Nov 24, 2019, 8:36:30 AM11/24/19
On Monday, February 10, 1997 at 7:00:00 PM UTC+11, brian stewart wrote:
# Does anybody know a quick safe way of taking bluing off a gun. Do you
# have to sandblast the finish off or is there a chemical available which
# can take the bluing off.
#
# Signed;
# Brian
#
# Please e-mail me at Kal...@ix.netcom.com

Simply dilute hcl 50% with water and lower and raise in and out of the solution ...you
will see it working and when you are happy with the level of removal dip/rinse in water
and blow dry.

RosemontCrest

Nov 25, 2019, 1:50:24 PM11/25/19
On Sunday, November 24, 2019 at 5:36:30 AM UTC-8, gle...@gmail.com wrote:
# On Monday, February 10, 1997 at 7:00:00 PM UTC+11, brian stewart wrote:
# # Does anybody know a quick safe way of taking bluing off a gun. Do you
# # have to sandblast the finish off or is there a chemical available which
# # can take the bluing off.
# #
# # Signed;
# # Brian
# #
# # Please e-mail me at Kal...@ix.netcom.com
#
# Simply dilute hcl 50% with water and lower and raise in and out of the solution ...you
# will see it working and when you are happy with the level of removal dip/rinse in water
# and blow dry.

After more than 22 years, I suspect that brian has figured out something by now.

Frank

Nov 25, 2019, 1:50:25 PM11/25/19
On 11/24/2019 8:36 AM, gle...@gmail.com wrote:
# On Monday, February 10, 1997 at 7:00:00 PM UTC+11, brian stewart wrote:
# # Does anybody know a quick safe way of taking bluing off a gun. Do you
# # have to sandblast the finish off or is there a chemical available which
# # can take the bluing off.
# #
# # Signed;
# # Brian
# #
# # Please e-mail me at Kal...@ix.netcom.com
#
# Simply dilute hcl 50% with water and lower and raise in and out of the solution ...you
# will see it working and when you are happy with the level of removal dip/rinse in water
# and blow dry.
#

I would probably prefer to use vinegar as seen here:

https://m1-garand-rifle.com/debluing/

HCl is potent stuff and can attack the steel.