I can't find the serial number

ZO

Aug 7, 2008, 8:42:16 PM8/7/08
I can't find the serial number on the following two shotguns:
1) Savage Arms Corp, Stevens 77E, 410 guage, 3" chamber, pump
2) Savage Arms Corp, Stevens 940A, 410 guage, 3" chamber, single shot.
Can anyone tell me where the SN's are located?

Thanks,
Zito

Learn about rec.guns at http://www.recguns.net
Win a Fulton Armory AR-15 "Game Gun" while supporting RKBA.
Details at http://www.myguns.net

NapalmHeart

Aug 8, 2008, 9:31:10 AM8/8/08

"ZO" <Zi...@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
#I can't find the serial number on the following two
#shotguns:
# 1) Savage Arms Corp, Stevens 77E, 410 guage, 3" chamber,
# pump
# 2) Savage Arms Corp, Stevens 940A, 410 guage, 3" chamber,
# single shot.
# Can anyone tell me where the SN's are located?
#
# Thanks,
# Zito

They may not have serial numbers.

Ken

Gray Ghost

Aug 8, 2008, 9:32:02 AM8/8/08
"ZO" <Zi...@cfl.rr.com> wrote in news:g7g4p8$bl2$1...@grapevine.wam.umd.edu:

Firearms made before 1968 are not required to have a serial numner. They go
on the 4473 as NVN (No Visible Number). I bought an old shotgun sans serial
number and that's how I remember it went.

Frank

nick hull

Aug 8, 2008, 9:32:14 AM8/8/08
In article <g7g4p8$bl2$1...@grapevine.wam.umd.edu>,
"ZO" <Zi...@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

# I can't find the serial number on the following two shotguns:
# 1) Savage Arms Corp, Stevens 77E, 410 guage, 3" chamber, pump
# 2) Savage Arms Corp, Stevens 940A, 410 guage, 3" chamber, single shot.
# Can anyone tell me where the SN's are located?

MANY older cheaper guns made before 1869 have no serial number, none was
required. Very common in .22s and single shot shotguns.

.

Sam A. Kersh

Aug 8, 2008, 9:32:20 AM8/8/08

#1) Savage Arms Corp, Stevens 77E, 410 guage, 3" chamber, pump
#2) Savage Arms Corp, Stevens 940A, 410 guage, 3" chamber, single shot.
#Can anyone tell me where the SN's are located?
#
#Thanks,

The simple answer is they may not have serial numbers. Prior to the GCA of 1968
there was no requirement that firearms be serial numbered. Many older shotguns
and some rifles and handguns are not marked. This really causes my gun shop head
aches when ATF does a compliance visit.

sta...@prolynx.com

Aug 8, 2008, 5:46:48 PM8/8/08
On Aug 7, 6:42 pm, "ZO" <Zi...@cfl.rr.com> wrote:
# I can't find the serial number on the following two shotguns:
# 1) Savage Arms Corp, Stevens 77E, 410 guage, 3" chamber, pump
# 2) Savage Arms Corp, Stevens 940A, 410 guage, 3" chamber, single shot.

# Can anyone tell me where the SN's are located?
#
# Thanks,
# Zito
#
As others have said, pre-'68 shotguns may not have them. I think the
77E, at least, was manufactured after that date and may have one.
Usual places are on the receiver(ALWAYS on the receiver), left or
right hand side, ahead or behind the loading port on the bottom, next
to the trigger guard on either side or next to the barrel on the
front. If you can't find it on the receiver and there's no obvious
grind marks or refinishing, then it doesn't have one and it's
pre-'68. Manufacturers don't hide the serials, ATF gets a little
steamed if they do. At least one copy of it has to be out where it's
visible and it has to be at least the specified size and depth.

Stan

chasw

Aug 9, 2008, 9:38:11 AM8/9/08
I have a Steven's shotgun I recd as a birthday present in the mid 1950s, no
serial number. Only later did Big Brother require all firearms to be
numbered so they could be registered. - CW

Omelet

Aug 13, 2008, 8:06:54 PM8/13/08
"ZO" <Zi...@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

# I can't find the serial number on the following two shotguns:
# 1) Savage Arms Corp, Stevens 77E, 410 guage, 3" chamber, pump
# 2) Savage Arms Corp, Stevens 940A, 410 guage, 3" chamber, single shot.
# Can anyone tell me where the SN's are located?
#
# Thanks,
# Zito

They may be too old to have required them.

I have yet to asses dad's old rifle collection but with what little I've
done, am running into the same thing.

I need to take a photographic record soon before it's too late.
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)