Pennsylvania Resident - Going to New Jersey to Shoot at Range -

MrGBojangles

Mar 17, 2009, 7:06:19 AM3/17/09
Hi. I am a PA resident with a CCW permit in PA. I know I cannot carry
concealed in New Jersey but I've been invited to join a friend to
shoot shotguns and revolvers at a range at Fort Dix. What are the
requirements for transporting handguns and long guns into NJ? Do I
need anything more than my PA ID and to store unloaded weapons in the
trunk and the ammo in the passenger compartment?

Bojangles

Learn about rec.guns at http://www.recguns.net
Win a Fulton Armory .308 Titan Carbine and defend liberty at the
same time - Donate to MPFO today! Details at http://myguns.net

Wayne

Mar 18, 2009, 7:16:13 AM3/18/09

"MrGBojangles" <MrGBoj...@gmail.com> wrote in message
# Hi. I am a PA resident with a CCW permit in PA. I know I cannot carry
# concealed in New Jersey but I've been invited to join a friend to
# shoot shotguns and revolvers at a range at Fort Dix. What are the
# requirements for transporting handguns and long guns into NJ? Do I
# need anything more than my PA ID and to store unloaded weapons in the
# trunk and the ammo in the passenger compartment?
#
# Bojangles
#
You might also drive very carefully to avoid getting stopped :)

decalod85

Mar 18, 2009, 7:16:22 AM3/18/09
On Mar 17, 6:06 am, MrGBojangles <MrGBojang...@gmail.com> wrote:
# Hi. I am a PA resident with a CCW permit in PA.  I know I cannot carry
# concealed in New Jersey but I've been invited to join a friend to
# shoot shotguns and revolvers at a range at Fort Dix.  What are the
# requirements for transporting handguns and long guns into NJ?  Do I
# need anything more than my PA ID and to store unloaded weapons in the
# trunk and the ammo in the passenger compartment?

I regularly hunt in North Dakota (and live in MN) and I never do more
than that.

Tyrone

Mar 18, 2009, 7:16:25 AM3/18/09
There is a long list of "assault weapons" that will get you in
trouble in NJ and it includes some shotguns and a few handguns. Also
any magazine capable of holding more than 15 rounds is a no-no. Best
bet is to have the unloaded weapons in locked cases and ammo in a
separate container. I'd put it all in the trunk. If you get stopped
for any reason and the cop spots shooting gear/accessories in plain
sight, it just complicates things.

Mark Crispin

Mar 18, 2009, 7:16:24 AM3/18/09
On Tue, 17 Mar 2009, MrGBojangles posted:
# Hi. I am a PA resident with a CCW permit in PA. I know I cannot carry
# concealed in New Jersey but I've been invited to join a friend to
# shoot shotguns and revolvers at a range at Fort Dix. What are the
# requirements for transporting handguns and long guns into NJ? Do I
# need anything more than my PA ID and to store unloaded weapons in the
# trunk and the ammo in the passenger compartment?

The last that I heard, it is completely illegal to possess firearms of any
kind in NJ without the appropriate NJ paperwork. NJ also refuses to obey
federal law regarding interstate transport of firearms, and jails people
for the "crime" of passing through NJ with firearms.

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc

Lame Duck

Mar 18, 2009, 1:47:47 PM3/18/09

"decalod85" <deca...@comcast.net> wrote in message
# On Mar 17, 6:06 am, MrGBojangles <MrGBojang...@gmail.com> wrote:
# # Hi. I am a PA resident with a CCW permit in PA. I know I cannot carry
# # concealed in New Jersey but I've been invited to join a friend to
# # shoot shotguns and revolvers at a range at Fort Dix. What are the
# # requirements for transporting handguns and long guns into NJ? Do I
# # need anything more than my PA ID and to store unloaded weapons in the
# # trunk and the ammo in the passenger compartment?

No hollow point ammo in NJ!

John Husvar

Mar 18, 2009, 1:47:50 PM3/18/09
In article <gpql5t$mnl$1...@news.albasani.net>,
"Wayne" <mygarb...@verizon.net> wrote:

# "MrGBojangles" <MrGBoj...@gmail.com> wrote in message
# news:gpo07a$rku$1...@news.albasani.net...
# # Hi. I am a PA resident with a CCW permit in PA. I know I cannot carry
# # concealed in New Jersey but I've been invited to join a friend to
# # shoot shotguns and revolvers at a range at Fort Dix. What are the
# # requirements for transporting handguns and long guns into NJ? Do I
# # need anything more than my PA ID and to store unloaded weapons in the
# # trunk and the ammo in the passenger compartment?
# #
# # Bojangles
# #

# You might also drive very carefully to avoid getting stopped :)

#
Until you get stopped for driving too carefully, thus inciting
suspicion.

Happened to me. I just told the officer I was in no hurry and his
jurisdiction (Brimfield, OH) had a reputation for rigorously enforcing
speed limits. So I was being careful not to violate any traffic laws.

He said he was glad to know it was working and let me proceed.

ray...@embarqmail.com

Mar 18, 2009, 1:47:52 PM3/18/09
On Mar 18, 7:16 am, Mark Crispin <m...@panda.com> wrote:
# On Tue, 17 Mar 2009, MrGBojangles posted:
# # Hi. I am a PA resident with a CCW permit in PA.  I know I cannot carry
# # concealed in New Jersey but I've been invited to join a friend to
# # shoot shotguns and revolvers at a range at Fort Dix.  What are the
# # requirements for transporting handguns and long guns into NJ?  Do I
# # need anything more than my PA ID and to store unloaded weapons in the
# # trunk and the ammo in the passenger compartment?
#
# The last that I heard, it is completely illegal to possess firearms of any
# kind in NJ without the appropriate NJ paperwork.  NJ also refuses to obey
# federal law regarding interstate transport of firearms, and jails people
# for the "crime" of passing through NJ with firearms.
#

Not true. We hold Bullseye matches here, see: www.njpistol.com
Shooters from outer states (so far had 11 states inc. Alaska,. no not
Sara)
routinely come to participate in our 2700 matches.
I've been involved with these matches for 8 years and don't remember
any outer state shooters having problems with NJ LEO's.

Have fun at Ft. Dix. Watch out for low flying AF planes.
It's a public shooting range outside of the main base.

Ray

Gunny_2009

Mar 18, 2009, 8:26:46 PM3/18/09

"Lame Duck" <6...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
#
# "decalod85" <deca...@comcast.net> wrote in message
# news:gpql66$mnu$1...@news.albasani.net...
# # On Mar 17, 6:06 am, MrGBojangles <MrGBojang...@gmail.com> wrote:
# # # Hi. I am a PA resident with a CCW permit in PA. I know I cannot carry
# # # concealed in New Jersey but I've been invited to join a friend to
# # # shoot shotguns and revolvers at a range at Fort Dix. What are the
# # # requirements for transporting handguns and long guns into NJ? Do I
# # # need anything more than my PA ID and to store unloaded weapons in the
# # # trunk and the ammo in the passenger compartment?
# -----------------------------------------------------
#
# No hollow point ammo in NJ!
#

Don't forget, they hassled Tony Soprano about the hollow points too.

Tom Lawrence

Mar 19, 2009, 8:05:00 AM3/19/09
# shoot shotguns and revolvers at a range at Fort Dix. What are the
# requirements for transporting handguns and long guns into NJ?

Unloaded, and cased. Locked in the trunk is better. The law (New Jersey
Statute 2C:39-6f) permits anyone to transport firearms directly to or from a
target range. Don't stop off at the Wawa for coffee - drive straight to Ft.
Dix. Refer to NJS 2C:39-6g for specifics.

Make sure your firearms are NJ-legal. Since you only mention shotguns and
revolvers, if you have a semi-auto shotgun, it can't have a pistol grip on
it, a folding stock, or hold more than 6 rounds. Pump shotguns have no such
restrictions on them. 2C:39-1w is the relevant section here.

Misifus

Mar 19, 2009, 8:59:44 PM3/19/09
decalod85 wrote:
# On Mar 17, 6:06 am, MrGBojangles <MrGBojang...@gmail.com> wrote:
# # Hi. I am a PA resident with a CCW permit in PA. I know I cannot carry
# # concealed in New Jersey but I've been invited to join a friend to
# # shoot shotguns and revolvers at a range at Fort Dix. What are the
# # requirements for transporting handguns and long guns into NJ? Do I
# # need anything more than my PA ID and to store unloaded weapons in the
# # trunk and the ammo in the passenger compartment?
#
# I regularly hunt in North Dakota (and live in MN) and I never do more
# than that.
#

Huge difference between ND and NJ.

-Raf

--
Misifus-
Rafael Seibert

haraoi...@yahoo.com

Mar 19, 2009, 8:59:46 PM3/19/09

As an ex-New Jerseyian I'm pretty sure the technicaly correct answer
is that New Jersey does in fact require non-residents to have firearms
ID cards to posses firearms in state. Non-residents can apply to the
state police and fill out the proper paper work and obtain a NJ
firearms ID card. I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on the internet.
Check out http://www.evannappen.com/ . This guy is a lawyer and may
answer your questions.

harry

Rubaiyat of Omar Bradley

Mar 20, 2009, 7:05:46 PM3/20/09
It's best to actually read the NJ laws yourself - see
http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/NJSL.pdf

Pat Kennedy

Mar 22, 2009, 8:33:51 AM3/22/09
"Lame Duck" <6...@mindspring.com> wrote in

I have heard, and if going to Jersey, I would check, that it is legal to
own or posess hollowpoint ammo, but you better not have it in your gun
because that is illegal.

Tom Line

Mar 23, 2009, 7:20:13 AM3/23/09

On the bright side, they pump your gas in New Jersey. Make sure your horn works and try to
look generic. Keep things locked-up in the trunk.

rem...@yahoo.com

Feb 26, 2020, 5:00:56 AM2/26/20
I am a New Jersey resident.
You CANNOT
1. Have magazines over 10 rounds in NJ.
2. Have a semi-Automatic shotgun in NJ.
3. Have a rifle of any kind with a barrel length less than 16 inches.
4. You cannot carry a handgun in NJ with an out of state CCW.
5. Have a rifle or shotgun with a collapsable stock.
6. Have suppressors,compensator or flash hiders on an AR...only permitted to have a muzzle break/pinned & welded.

Just Another Joe

Feb 26, 2020, 6:59:36 AM2/26/20
In article <r35fkm$iaf$1...@news.albasani.net>, <rem...@yahoo.com> wrote:

# 1. Have magazines over 10 rounds in NJ.
# 2. Have a semi-Automatic shotgun in NJ.
# 3. Have a rifle of any kind with a barrel length less than 16 inches.
# 4. You cannot carry a handgun in NJ with an out of state CCW.
# 5. Have a rifle or shotgun with a collapsable stock.
# 6. Have suppressors,compensator or flash hiders on an AR...only permitted to
# have a muzzle break/pinned & welded.

This is the reason O choose to not live in NJ

Frank

Feb 26, 2020, 7:44:30 AM2/26/20
On 2/26/2020 6:59 AM, Just Another Joe wrote:
# In article <r35fkm$iaf$1...@news.albasani.net>, <rem...@yahoo.com> wrote:
#
# # 1. Have magazines over 10 rounds in NJ.
# # 2. Have a semi-Automatic shotgun in NJ.
# # 3. Have a rifle of any kind with a barrel length less than 16 inches.
# # 4. You cannot carry a handgun in NJ with an out of state CCW.
# # 5. Have a rifle or shotgun with a collapsable stock.
# # 6. Have suppressors,compensator or flash hiders on an AR...only permitted to
# # have a muzzle break/pinned & welded.
#
# This is the reason O choose to not live in NJ
#
I live in DE and my shooting club is in PA. Cannot imagine going into
NJ to hunt or shoot and impossible to imagine someone having to go to NJ
from PA.

Lower DE is getting flooded with retirees from NJ but not because of the
gun laws but because of taxes. Property tax there is about 1/8th that
of NJ.