M1A Stock: Wood Vs. Synth?

Atis

Apr 30, 2002, 10:33:46 PM4/30/02
Looking someday to buy a M1A from SA. Wondering what Pros/Cons there
are with the difference type of stocks. I own an AR and multiple M1
Garands so I know wood pretty well. Looking to use the M1A for
general plinking and mabye a fun shooting match or two...nothing super
high-tech like National Matches and such. Is a synthetic stock able
to provide the same type of shooting as a wood gun, given the same
shooting conditions and barrel/gun works? I have heard that it won't
warp when the weather changes.

Thanks for any advice!!

Cheers All
Collin

Learn about rec.guns at http://doubletap.cs.umd.edu/rec.guns

Clint McKee

May 2, 2002, 10:03:42 AM5/2/02
Hi Collin & Group!

"Atis" <tatu...@hotmail.com> wrote

# Looking someday to buy a M1A from SA. Wondering what Pros/Cons there

If you are wanting an M14/M1A, be *certain* that it is made with original
USGI parts, and, USGI parts in excellent condition (not rewelded, cast
commercial reproductions, Chinese, "remanufactured", ... parts). This is a
_vastly_ more important issue than what kind of stock to use. Also, keep in
mind that the "SA" you mention above is not the real SA (Springfield
Armory), which was America's oldest and most storied armory. The real SA was
closed in 1968. The current "SA" is actually SA INC, which is a commercial
company that simply took the name.

# are with the difference type of stocks. I own an AR and multiple M1
# Garands so I know wood pretty well. Looking to use the M1A for
# general plinking and mabye a fun shooting match or two...nothing super
# high-tech like National Matches and such. Is a synthetic stock able
# to provide the same type of shooting as a wood gun, given the same
# shooting conditions and barrel/gun works? I have heard that it won't
# warp when the weather changes.

Synthetic stocks vary greatly (just like the rifles themselves) from $5.00
used repainted USGI fiberglass stocks (the paint comes off all over the
rifle and you over time, and, makes the stock slippery when sweating unless
the coating is designed to amerliorate this condition), to the McMillan
M14/M1A, M2A and M3A stocks that are fabulous, but very heavy, and, very
expensive. They also MUST be glass bedded. If you decide on this stock, make
sure you get it with the textured epoxy coating to help your grip. McMillan
offers this at an upcharge, and Fulton Armory offers it standard). The
standard finish is VERY slippery, and if you are sweating or, if it's
raining, it can be a big problem.

Fulton Armory also has "new old stock" (original M14 fiberglass stocks that
are 40 years old, but new and in excellent condition) M14 stocks with what
many call the "Shark Skin" coat. This was the latest/last M14 stock made,
and is *very* gripable. An excellent lightweight "field grade" stock, but
one that looks a little funky so when you scratch it in the field, you feel
just fine ;^) Indeed, many of our customers order one of these for field use
when they might "damage" or otherwise abuse the beautiful new walnut or
laminated stocks that we hand fit and finish with hand rubbed linseed oil.

As far "warping", synthetics can be thrown into a swimming pool and really
could not care less! Whether a synthetic stock is for you is not clear. I'd
need more info to help you make a wise decision. Feel free to conact the
owner of Fulton Armory, Clint Mckee (that's me :).

If you like wood, an *excellent* alternative to the standard homogenous
walnut or birch block of wood stock is our laminated stocks. They offer the
beauty and "grip" of wood, as well as the ease of scratch repair, and, since
they are many laminations glued together with water proof epoxy, they are
very water resistant AND much stronger than standard wood stocks.

> Thanks for any advice!!

Hope you find the above helpful.

Take a weekend at our acclaimed M14/M1A web site at the url below, and at
minimum, order the Duff _M14 Owners Guide_ and *read it* ;^) Learn all you
can before buying any $1000.00 + rifle. An informed consumer is our best
customer. If you do not know me or my company, please do a dejanews search.

Thanks for the very kind interest!

Clint McKee
Owner
Fulton Armory
http://www.fulton-armory.com
EVERYTHING for the AR15, M14/M1A, M1 Garand and M1 Carbine

Diogenes

May 2, 2002, 10:05:36 AM5/2/02
On Wed, 1 May 2002 02:33:46 +0000 (UTC), tatu...@hotmail.com (Atis)
wrote:

#Looking someday to buy a M1A from SA. Wondering what Pros/Cons there
#are with the difference type of stocks. I own an AR and multiple M1
#Garands so I know wood pretty well. Looking to use the M1A for
#general plinking and mabye a fun shooting match or two...nothing super
#high-tech like National Matches and such. Is a synthetic stock able
#to provide the same type of shooting as a wood gun, given the same
#shooting conditions and barrel/gun works? I have heard that it won't
#warp when the weather changes.
#

I have a match grade M1A with wood stock and a SA M1A Scout with
synthetic. The Scout is not as accurate as the full-size wood stock
version, but it doesn't have a match barrel and glass bedded action,
either. I would say it's about as accurate as any non-match wood
stocked M1A I've fired. One noticeable thing about the Scout is its
surprisingly light recoil impulse. This is undoubtedly due to the
muzzle brake, but the 'give' in the synthetic stock and the integral
rubber recoil pad may contribute to this also. The synthetic stock
lacks the storage holes in the butt for the cleaning kit, but does
have molded in 'checkering' on the fore-end which provides a better
grip, especially when wet.

I have a sentimental attachment to a wood stock, since that's how my
M14 was issued to me back in my green-suit days. But I can't find
anything to complain about with the synthetic stock. I'd say go with
it if it appeals to you.
--
Diogenes (cdh...@yahoo.com)

The wars are long, the peace is frail
The madmen come again . . . .

Jerry Gardner

May 2, 2002, 9:36:22 PM5/2/02
Atis wrote:

# Looking someday to buy a M1A from SA. Wondering what Pros/Cons there
# are with the difference type of stocks. I own an AR and multiple M1
# Garands so I know wood pretty well. Looking to use the M1A for
# general plinking and mabye a fun shooting match or two...nothing super
# high-tech like National Matches and such. Is a synthetic stock able
# to provide the same type of shooting as a wood gun, given the same
# shooting conditions and barrel/gun works? I have heard that it won't
# warp when the weather changes.

I don't have an M1A, so I can't comment specifically on that, but I do own
several rifles with various types of stocks.

How about a laminated wood stock? These are a good compromise between a
traditional wood stock and a synthetic stock. Laminated stocks are strong,
almost waterproof (much more so than wood), and don't warp when the
humidity changes. They also look striking, which is more a matter of taste
than function.

--
Jerry Gardner
w6...@hotmail.com