Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag can't shoot slugs ?

TOM

May 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/4/97

Recently I purchased a Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag [12 GA 3 12"] for Turkey
hunting and for a "throw in the truck" shotgun. I was disappointed to
read in the instruction manual not to shot "slugs". Does anyone in the
newsgroup have any idea why this is so and what detrimental effects
would happen if I shot slugs ??
Thanks,
Tom

Dave

May 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/5/97

On 4 May 1997 23:02:50 -0400, TOM <tl...@sprintmail.com> wrote:

#Recently I purchased a Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag [12 GA 3 12"] for Turkey
#hunting and for a "throw in the truck" shotgun. I was disappointed to
#read in the instruction manual not to shot "slugs". Does anyone in the
#newsgroup have any idea why this is so and what detrimental effects
#would happen if I shot slugs ??

It probably has to do with the choke. You didn't say if your gun
came with choke tubes or what the choke is.

Turkey guns usually come with "extra full" or "turkey full" chokes.

For rifled slugs, cylinder or improved cylinder is best. Rifled or
"Foster" type slugs should not be shot through anything tighter than
"full" choke. "Extra full" and "turkey" are tighter constrictions than a
regular "full" choke.

Saboted slugs are designed to be shot through a rifled barrel or rifled
choke tube, (which are cylinder, no choke). Any kind of choke at all is
bad.

You may have to get a replacement barrel or a replacement choke
tube to be able to shoot slugs, but I'd still recommend calling Mossberg
to verify it.

Another possibility is that 12 ga slugs only come in 2-3/4" and 3"
sizes, and your gun is chambered for 3-1/2" rounds.

Mc...@istar.ca

May 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/5/97

TOM wrote:
#
# Recently I purchased a Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag [12 GA 3 12"] for Turkey
# hunting and for a "throw in the truck" shotgun. I was disappointed to
# read in the instruction manual not to shot "slugs". Does anyone in the
# newsgroup have any idea why this is so and what detrimental effects
# would happen if I shot slugs ??
# Thanks,
# TomI reme,ber reading that in the manual I have for my 500, it said the 835 couldn't shoot
slugs. I believe it had something to do with the barrel being ported if I'm not
mistaken. I don't know the technical reason for the "no slug" advice, I just read that.

Dave M

N.M.

May 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/7/97

TOM <tl...@sprintmail.com> wrote:

#Recently I purchased a Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag [12 GA 3 12"] for Turkey
#hunting and for a "throw in the truck" shotgun. I was disappointed to
#read in the instruction manual not to shot "slugs". Does anyone in the
#newsgroup have any idea why this is so and what detrimental effects
#would happen if I shot slugs ??
# Thanks,
# Tom

I suspect that it is because the 835 uses a larger diameter than usual
barrel and the slugs would rattle down it on their inaccurate trip
downrange.

Dan DeEulis

May 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/8/97

In article <5kq0je$b...@xring.cs.umd.edu>, 7567...@compuserve.com (N.M.) wrote:

# TOM <tl...@sprintmail.com> wrote:
#
# #Recently I purchased a Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag [12 GA 3 12"] for Turkey
# #hunting and for a "throw in the truck" shotgun. I was disappointed to
# #read in the instruction manual not to shot "slugs". Does anyone in the
# #newsgroup have any idea why this is so and what detrimental effects
# #would happen if I shot slugs ??
# # Thanks,
# # Tom
#
#
# I suspect that it is because the 835 uses a larger diameter than usual
# barrel and the slugs would rattle down it on their inaccurate trip
# downrange.

This is the closest to the situation as explained in my 835 manual. The
backboring, which reduces recoil, could allow the slug to overexpand and
result in excessive pressure build up-ie rupture of barrel. Mossberg makes
excellant slug barrels for this gun. Buy one if you want to shoot slugs.

--
Dan DeEulis

cou...@elevator-bbs.com

May 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/10/97

#TOM <tl...@sprintmail.com> wrote:

##Recently I purchased a Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag [12 GA 3 12"] for Turkey
##hunting and for a "throw in the truck" shotgun. I was disappointed to
##read in the instruction manual not to shot "slugs". Does anyone in the
##newsgroup have any idea why this is so and what detrimental effects
##would happen if I shot slugs ??
## Thanks,
## Tom

#I suspect that it is because the 835 uses a larger diameter than usual
#barrel and the slugs would rattle down it on their inaccurate trip
#downrange.

"Turkey choke" is even tighter than full, and the manufacturers all
say "No slugs."

-Cougar Allen :{)
cou...@elevator-bbs.com