Mantis tiller tines durability questoin

Stevie Stevie

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
If I remember correctly, Mantis states in their literature that their
tines are guaranteed against breakage forever. Now, I have several
questions on this guarantee. First, how durable are the tines really?
Nothing in the world lasts forever and certainly not something whose job
is to grind up garden soil. Second, does this guarantee cover wear and
tear or only breakage. It the tine tips just wore out, would Mantis
still replace the tines? What if the tines broke, would Mantis call it
abuse and void their warranty? I want to hear feedback from people who
have had experience with warranty claims on their tines.

Byron Morris

Apr 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/27/99
Well, I have a 10 year old Mantis that has been through considerable
abuse. I never have had any problems with the tines bending, breaking or
wearing. The tensile steel they use seems virtually indestructible.
Last year the blade assembly twisted on its axle and I could not get it
off (my fault, I let them rust for a few years of neglect). I hammered
and hammered. Eventually cracked the shaft housing but the tines
wouldn't surrender.

Thomas Wunderlich

Apr 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/28/99
I've used my Mantis for 2 years in hard dirt and areas full of stones and
had no problems..it worked great. I had used a "Green Machine" before
which was junk and the tines broke easily.

Cindy Cwi

May 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/5/99
I give my Mantis lots of abuse, five years so far in heavy clay with lots of
stones. I believe the tines truly are indestructable. Because of the warranty
I don't hesitate to dig in the rocky soil and have had no problem with bending
or breaking. Occassionally a stone just the right size will wedge itself in the
tines and hang it up, however that doesn't happen all that often. I did have
trouble with it running poorly once, but cleaning the air filter fixed that. I
love my Mantis and can't imagine gardening in my clay soil without it!

B & J

May 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/5/99
I have found that my Mantis doesn't ordinarily become jammed with a rock when
operating at full throttle. This happens most often as one is letting up on the
throttle. If you pull back from a rocky area while keeping it at full throttle
before easing up, it will jam less. My Mantis has taken a beating for the past six
years and still works great.

John

Mead H.

May 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/6/99
Ok, I'm sold. Went out today and picked up one of these for $299 + tax. The
shop assembled it, fueled it, and it started up immediately. Can't wait to
try it out!! Spoke to several shops that mentioned Echo (who makes the
engine for Mantis) also sells the identical unit under their brand name.
They also all prefered the MAntis over the Honda due to the tine design and
great history of the Mantis.

Mead H.