Beer as Compost Starter?

King Pineapple

Apr 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/28/99
I saw some guy on HGTV, he said to give your compost pile a shot in the arm
with a can of beer (the sugar gets things going). Does this also work with
soda, like Mt. Dew? How much does it take?

Camille Boutin

Apr 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/28/99
Yes this also work with sodo such as coke pepsi and best of all 7-up. The
amount all dependes on the quauntity of compost.Get your soil wet,on a hot
sunny day.

stephane
Quebec

Rev Chuck

Apr 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/28/99
King Pineapple wrote:

> I saw some guy on HGTV, he said to give your compost pile a shot in the arm
> with a can of beer (the sugar gets things going). Does this also work with
> soda, like Mt. Dew? How much does it take?

The evil Jerry Baker, I presume.

The beer should pass through your kidneys first. Urine is a better
activator.
--
Nothing says you're insane like prayer.
Rev Chuck, Alt.Atheism #203, Ordained Reverend, ULC, 17 March, 1997.

Dan Sterner

Apr 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/28/99
On Wed, 28 Apr 1999 21:22:54 -0400, "King Pineapple"
<crai...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I saw some guy on HGTV, he said to give your compost pile a shot in the arm
>with a can of beer (the sugar gets things going). Does this also work with
>soda, like Mt. Dew? How much does it take?

Rather than use the soda you could toss 5 cents worth of sugar on the pile
and spend the other 45 cents on more beer. Some of what Jerry says works,
but often at an unreasonably high price. Beer as Rev Chuck says should be
recycled first.

Rev Chuck

Apr 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/28/99
Nitrogen in the forms of urea and ammonia. Yeast in beer? Not likely;
yeast cells will fatally poison themselves if their culture medium is
sealed in bottles. Their dead bodies -- "lees" -- settle out from
solution, whereupon they're disposed of by the brewer.

Janet Sever wrote:

> I had always heard that it was better to *drink* the beer and then pee on
> the compost. Nitrogen, I think??
>
> Janet
>

> blaze...@my-dejanews.com wrote in article
> <7ga6qv$rqd$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...
> > In article <7g8bqq$1mm$1...@news.monad.net>,

> > "King Pineapple" <crai...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > > I saw some guy on HGTV, he said to give your compost pile a shot in the
> arm
> > > with a can of beer (the sugar gets things going). Does this also work
> with
> > > soda, like Mt. Dew? How much does it take?
> > >

> > I saw the same show "Paul James" the gardening guy. I was of the
> > understanding that it was the yeast in the beer that got things going not
> the
> > sugar.
> >
> > Blaise
> > Post Falls, Idaho

> > http://www.dejanews.com/ Search, Read, Discuss, or Start Your Own

Rev Chuck

Apr 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/28/99
On a whim, I seeded mine with buckwheat. Let it grow its own organic
matter. Come next month, I'll be the proud owner of the world's
largest chia pet. A "perpetual compost heap"? Builds itself, just
add water.

Renee wrote:

> But... now I am *totally* confused, as opposed to my usual partial
> confusion... why would *yeast* help my compost heap? And I was all set to go
> pout out a can of beer, too... now I am wondering whether it should be light
> or regular, and why it would make a difference...
>
> The neat thing about my compost heap is the myriad plants growing in it right
> now. Really prolific. Odd-looking, but interesting, and the kids use it as
> an ongoing science project.
>
> Renee
> Money talks. Chocolate *sings.*
> http://www.meginc.com/personal/users/reneeb/index.html
> http://www.meginc.com/reba

Wendy B G

Apr 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/29/99
>I saw some guy on HGTV, he said to give your compost pile a shot in the arm
>with a can of beer (the sugar gets things going).

Compost is already loaded with bacteria. To get a pile cooking, add high
nitrogen (green) material, such as grass clippings.

Drink the beer.
Wendy

Matt Denton

Apr 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/29/99
In article <bXOV2.122863$Mb.46...@newscontent-02.sprint.ca>, "Camille
Boutin" <cbo...@sprint.ca> wrote:

> Yes this also work with sodo such as coke pepsi and best of all 7-up. The
> amount all dependes on the quauntity of compost.Get your soil wet,on a hot
> sunny day.
>
> stephane
> Quebec
>
> King Pineapple a écrit dans le message <7g8bqq$1mm$1...@news.monad.net>...

> >I saw some guy on HGTV, he said to give your compost pile a shot in the arm

> >with a can of beer (the sugar gets things going). Does this also work with
> >soda, like Mt. Dew? How much does it take?

Wouldn't adding sugar drinks to a compost pile attract ants and other
pests? Or is that beneficial? Mine seems to have a large amount of ants as
it is.

--
Matt Denton
San Francisco, USA

Beth Pierce

Apr 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/29/99
Well, you would have to put garbage in there, such as fruit and that
would attract ants. Of course, in that sense, ants are beneficial.
They show your compost pile is healthy (so do the earthworms, japanese
beetle larve, fruit flies, etc.)

--
"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential
is invisible to the eye"-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

<delete nospam for email address>

Dan Sterner

Apr 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/29/99
On Thu, 29 Apr 1999 08:34:24 -0700, mde...@eyehatespam.itsa.ucsf.edu
(Matt Denton) wrote:

>Wouldn't adding sugar drinks to a compost pile attract ants and other
>pests? Or is that beneficial? Mine seems to have a large amount of ants as
>it is.

Yep, it sure would. In a hot compost pile the heat should drive the ants
away though, in theory the sugar just stimulates the microbes and gives
them a kick, gets them started faster. It won't give you a hot compost
pile if the pile isn't built right in the first place though, and if it is
built right you really don't need sugar or any other activator.

Yes, ants can be beneficial, as long as they aren't fireants and the type.
Pill bugs, ants, and so on in a cold compost pile are to be expected, and
speed the breakdown.

blaze...@my-dejanews.com

Apr 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/29/99
In article <7g8bqq$1mm$1...@news.monad.net>,
"King Pineapple" <crai...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I saw some guy on HGTV, he said to give your compost pile a shot in the arm
> with a can of beer (the sugar gets things going). Does this also work with
> soda, like Mt. Dew? How much does it take?

Dan Sterner

Apr 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/29/99
On Thu, 29 Apr 1999 18:02:11 GMT, blaze...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> I saw the same show "Paul James" the gardening guy. I was of the
>understanding that it was the yeast in the beer that got things going not the
>sugar.

That wouldn't be it either... it's one of those ideas that sound good till
you look into it. Beer (unless it's homebrew or the type with sediment on
the bottom) is either heat pasteurized or filtered, no live yeast in it.
There are some carbos, but very expensive in the form of beer.

Wild yeast live freely in the air, they aren't hard to find. That's why a
cup with tomato seeds in it will ferment quickly and remove the gunk, a
seed savers trick. If you want to add yeast, buy bakers or brewers yeast
at a fraction of the cost and many times the added live yeast. Just look
up the term "homebrew" on any search engine, brewers yeast isn't hard to
find and can be reproduced forever in your own kitchen.

Renee

Apr 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/29/99
But... now I am *totally* confused, as opposed to my usual partial
confusion... why would *yeast* help my compost heap? And I was all set to go
pout out a can of beer, too... now I am wondering whether it should be light
or regular, and why it would make a difference...

The neat thing about my compost heap is the myriad plants growing in it right
now. Really prolific. Odd-looking, but interesting, and the kids use it as
an ongoing science project.

In article <373aa7a4...@nntp.concentric.net>,

MCDevinney

Apr 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/29/99
>dans...@concentric.net (Dan Sterner)

>On Thu, 29 Apr 1999 18:02:11 GMT, blaze...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
>
>> I saw the same show "Paul James" the gardening guy. I was of the
>>understanding that it was the yeast in the beer that got things going not
>the
>>sugar.
>
>That wouldn't be it either... it's one of those ideas that sound good till
>you look into it. Beer (unless it's homebrew or the type with sediment on
>the bottom) is either heat pasteurized or filtered, no live yeast in it.
>There are some carbos, but very expensive in the form of beer.
>
>Wild yeast live freely in the air, they aren't hard to find. That's why
>cup with tomato seeds in it will ferment quickly and remove the gunk, a
>seed savers trick. If you want to add yeast, buy bakers or brewers yeast
>at a fraction of the cost and many times the added live yeast. Just look
>up the term "homebrew" on any search engine, brewers yeast isn't hard to
>find and can be reproduced forever in your own kitchen.

My brother homebrews and the best thing I get from him (in addition to the free
beers) is the spent hops for my compost! Of course this year it means I get to
plant hops for him also - should be fun to try them - get big I hear and grow
fast, we'll see. Maybe not this year if not then next year for sure - need to
build the trellis first.

Chrissie

This mail is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to
be considered flaws or defects.

gcus...@nospam.iris.com

Apr 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/29/99
GNC and most pet stores sell big containers of brewer's yeast at a
fraction of the cost what you'd pay for the stuff in the supermarket or a
homebrew shop. Just mix the yeast with some sugar and warm water and watch
it go. I think this concoction could also be used in slug traps. Cheaper
than using the cheapest (blatz?) of beers.

Dan Sterner

Apr 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/29/99
On Thu, 29 Apr 1999 20:31:48 GMT, Renee <rebaw...@my-dejanews.com>
wrote:

>But... now I am *totally* confused, as opposed to my usual partial
>confusion... why would *yeast* help my compost heap? And I was all set to go
>pout out a can of beer, too... now I am wondering whether it should be light
>or regular, and why it would make a difference...
>
>The neat thing about my compost heap is the myriad plants growing in it right
>now. Really prolific. Odd-looking, but interesting, and the kids use it as
>an ongoing science project.

You got me. From my understanding starters of any type aren't needed if a
pile is built right, and they won't make it a good pile if you didn't
build it right in the first place. For a cold compost pile adding a bit of
a stimulator may not hurt, but a handful of sugar or some carbo rich
grains would do a lot more good than beer or soda for the price.

The only reason I mentioned another source of yeast is that some insist on
buying it at an outrageous cost rather than simply an unreasonable cost,
considering all the pile can use is free in the air around us that seems
to be all that is needed. If they have to pay for a boost, a handful of
sugar or a packet of yeast is cheaper. It isn't needed.

Janet Sever

Apr 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/30/99
I had always heard that it was better to *drink* the beer and then pee on
the compost. Nitrogen, I think??

Janet

blaze...@my-dejanews.com wrote in article
<7ga6qv$rqd$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

> In article <7g8bqq$1mm$1...@news.monad.net>,
> "King Pineapple" <crai...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I saw some guy on HGTV, he said to give your compost pile a shot in the
arm
> > with a can of beer (the sugar gets things going). Does this also work
with
> > soda, like Mt. Dew? How much does it take?
> >

> I saw the same show "Paul James" the gardening guy. I was of the
> understanding that it was the yeast in the beer that got things going not
the
> sugar.
>

> Blaise
> Post Falls, Idaho

Sudy Nimm

Apr 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/30/99
This yeast issue is just a lot of brewhaha. Forget it. Layer your compost pile
with 4 inch alternating layers of grass clippings/garden refuse, leaves and
soil. Soil is added to introduce the microorganisms that do the breaking down.
Turn the pile after a few weeks. Drink the beer to cool down after the turning
job. As for worms, build it and they will come.

Rev Chuck wrote:

> Nitrogen in the forms of urea and ammonia. Yeast in beer? Not likely;
> yeast cells will fatally poison themselves if their culture medium is
> sealed in bottles. Their dead bodies -- "lees" -- settle out from
> solution, whereupon they're disposed of by the brewer.

ALurie6171

May 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/1/99
>I saw some guy on HGTV, he said to give your compost pile a shot in the arm
with a can of beer (the sugar gets things going). Does this also work with
soda, like Mt. Dew? >

Are you sure it was not that the *yeast* gets the compost going, rather than
the sugar?

I've actually dumped a few ounces of beer on my compost pile(s) in the past --
after all, that's what I at least preferred to do with my ex-slug trap beer !
Heineken worked very well, BTW. (I've never been much on beer, so I thought
that I should get a six-pack of something decent -- and my husband was
*adamant* that I was not to experiment with his single malt scotch.)

Anne