INCREASE HUMIDITY IN HOBBY GREENHOUSE?

Lorraine corvino

Jan 15, 2003, 2:45:55 PM1/15/03
I have a lean to greenhouse connected to my home, it is heated, exhaust fan
and circulation fan. I find that the humidity is not high enough at times
for my orchids. Can anyone give me an inexpensive idea on how to increase
my humidity. My friend has a hummifier that is made for greenhouses but
would not recommend with hard water "EVEN" with a filter, it clogs and is
quite expensive.
PLEASE HELP.

Gene Schurg

Jan 15, 2003, 3:01:32 PM1/15/03
The easiest way to elevate humidity is to wet down the floor. When things
get too dry in my greenhouse and I don't want to water the plants because of
the weather (overcast) I just wet down the floor really well and the the
plants are good for another day or two.

Gene

"Lorraine corvino" <lcor...@jrpeters.com> wrote in message

DGiunti

Jan 16, 2003, 5:21:32 PM1/16/03
In article <TTiV9.422$3G3.3...@monger.newsread.com>, "Lorraine corvino"
<lcor...@jrpeters.com> writes:

this is just a quick suggestion. One of the ways to do this is to send air
through some water in the area. Depending on the size of your lean to, you
could select a pool and an air pump of some sort whose wires were connected to
some sort of humidity control, so that then it was dry, it would blow a stream
of air through a pumice stone making bubbles in the water that absorbed
moisture to leave in the air. Most air pumps are rated for volume, and the
stones are commonly used in aquariums in a few sizes.

But I have no idea how to gage how much of either water of air that you
would need for so many square feet of enclosed space. A small fishtank air
pump might be too small, but if you only had a small space it would be a start.
Others will likely offer more suggestions.

David Giunti email: DGi...@aol.community
What is the question? Gertrude Stein's last words
No one mouth is big enough to utter the whole thing. Alan Watts

On Display in the UK http://www.web-gallery.co.uk

tbell

Jan 16, 2003, 10:55:14 PM1/16/03
David -
I live in a hard water area, too, and had a lot of trouble with the
misting heads I used at first, but for two years I've been using a
misting system with humidistat I bought from Charley's Greenhouse
(www.charleysgreenhouse.com). It was expensive, and required a little
effort to plumb with PVC, but it continues to pump out good mist with no
maintenance. I bought my greenhouse from this outfit, too, and have been
very impressed with their sales and service.
They recommended this system over more expensive foggers, specifically
because of my hard water.
Look at their website and give them a call. They might be able to
suggest a less expensive alternative.
Tom Bell

Matt Swift

Jan 17, 2003, 2:31:53 PM1/17/03
What you need is a portable evaporative cooler. If your floor is dirt or
gravel, install a mister system. Cover the dirt floor with pea gravel.

--
Matthew Swift
Swift's Orchids

Pamela Claus

Jan 20, 2003, 1:39:57 AM1/20/03
hi,
Depending on the size of your collection you could try an ionizer / mist maker.
I have been using one for 2 years now in an enclosed bookshelf and am very
happy with it. There are no exposed parts or filters to clog and it keeps the
humidity between 60 and 80 percent. It is a small cylinder that you put in a
bowl of water and was realitivly inexpensive at $100 canadian
good luck,
pamela
cla...@sympatico.ca