已查看 7 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Matt Heffron

未读,
1998年9月24日 03:00:001998/9/24
收件人
Don Gholston
1925 - 1998

It is with deep regret that I report to you the death of Don Gholston at the
age of 71, at his home in Watsonville, California on September 21st of a
heart
attack. Don was a native of San Angelo, Texas. Funeral arrangements await
the arrival of his family.

Don was a long time employee of Chevron Oil Company. His kind nature, soft
voice and mild manner belied his competence and strength as a person. He
was a
chemist and very knowledgeable researcher. Don was a loyal and hard working
member of California Rare Fruit Growers. He devoted many hours of work in
supplying answers to persons writing to the CRFG web site with questions
regarding fruiting trees. Don had responded to approximately sixteen
hundred
requests for such information in 1998 alone.

Don served on the CRFG Board of Directors beginning in 1991 and as President
from September 1994 until February 1996. He continued as a Vice President
and
coordinated chapter relations for Northern California. I have lost a
personal
friend and CRFG has lost a great friend and booster. Our kindest sympathy
goes
out to his family. He will be sorely missed!

sam...@my-dejanews.com

未读,
1998年9月24日 03:00:001998/9/24
收件人
In article <360a8...@134.217.92.90>,

"Matt Heffron" <mthe...@beckman.com> wrote:
> Don Gholston
> 1925 - 1998

So shocked and sorry to read this. I so enjoyed Don's very
kind and informative posts. Rec.gardens.edible won't be the
same without him.

FarmerDill

未读,
1998年9月24日 03:00:001998/9/24
收件人

I for one will surely miss him. His posts were always even handed, practical
and to the point

Dill.

Virginia E Hench

未读,
1998年9月24日 03:00:001998/9/24
收件人
sam...@my-dejanews.com wrote:
: In article <360a8...@134.217.92.90>,

: "Matt Heffron" <mthe...@beckman.com> wrote:
: > Don Gholston
: > 1925 - 1998
: >

This is indeed a loss. Rest in peace, Don.
Aloha, Ginny

dd

<mthe...@beckman.com> wrote:

> Don Gholston
> 1925 - 1998

He will indeed be missed. In addition to the attributes described, Mr.
Gholston was a knowledgeable and helpful expert in many other fields. He
helped organize a Proteaceae conference at UCSanta Cruz, and was a
supporter of the University's Botanical Gardens.

David Deutsch
Gondwana Gardens
http://www.gondwana.org

Helen Kay

未读,
1998年9月25日 03:00:001998/9/25
收件人

I'd second that. Can't really say much more.

Helen.

MLW5844

未读,
1998年9月25日 03:00:001998/9/25
收件人

What a shock... Don was a super nice guy with whom I enjoyed many personal, as
well as posted exchanges. My wife and I extend our deepest condolences to the
family. Mike W. and Lori

Jgissw

未读,
1998年9月25日 03:00:001998/9/25
收件人

>From: "Matt Heffron" <mthe...@beckman.com>

>Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 10:33:45 -0700

Add my sentiments to the many expressed. Even a casual visitor here,
like me, could be impressed with Don.
Cheers
John GW

Ian Staples

未读,
1998年9月25日 03:00:001998/9/25
收件人
In article <dd-240998...@modem32.win1.elite.net>, d...@gondwana.org (dd) wrote:
>In article <360a8...@134.217.92.90>, "Matt Heffron"
><mthe...@beckman.com> wrote:
>
>> Don Gholston
>> 1925 - 1998
>>
>> It is with deep regret that I report to you the death of Don Gholston at the
>> age of 71, at his home in Watsonville, California on September 21st of a
>> heart attack.

I am very sorry to hear that. Don was one of all too few people on
Usenet who was not only knowledgeable and helpful, but also prepared
to suffer even fools politely.

I also find it interesting that he was so old (though my maths would
suggest a different conclusion on the data presented :-). We often
hear that participation on "the Internet" is a young person's domain.
I suspect that the most consistently useful comment actually comes
from elderly folk, and there are probably a lot more of them than
the pundits realise.

Ian S.

ianst...@THISdpi.qld.gov.au

Pat Kiewicz

未读,
1998年9月25日 03:00:001998/9/25
收件人
In article <6uebc6$2p9$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>, sam...@my-dejanews.com says...

>In article <360a8...@134.217.92.90>,
> "Matt Heffron" <mthe...@beckman.com> wrote:
>> Don Gholston
>> 1925 - 1998
>>

> So shocked and sorry to read this. I so enjoyed Don's very
>kind and informative posts. Rec.gardens.edible won't be the
>same without him.

The same for me. Don was an important contributer. I'm stunned.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI
NOTICE!! To hit my personal mailbox, please put the letter 'p' in front of

Beth

未读,
1998年9月25日 03:00:001998/9/25
收件人
My thoughts and prayers to the family and close friends of Don. I as a
relatively new person on this group, always found him very helpful,
informative and kind. He will be missed!

Is there an address where we can our sympathies to his family? Perhaps it will
help them to deal with their loss, if they see how much he meant to so many
people.

Beth

wrote:
>Don Gholston
>1925 - 1998
>

>It is with deep regret that I report to you the death of Don Gholston at the
>age of 71, at his home in Watsonville, California on September 21st of a
>heart

zv...@my-dejanews.com

未读,
1998年9月25日 03:00:001998/9/25
收件人

this is a great loss for all of us.

--
- zvan

Ken Kozak

未读,
1998年9月25日 03:00:001998/9/25
收件人
Whatever the subject, I never would skip a posting with his name on it.

Condolences to his family and those who knew him personally.

Jim Nunnallee

未读,
1998年9月25日 03:00:001998/9/25
收件人
I am very sad to hear of Mr. Gholston's passing. Although I never met him I
learned to respect him through his postings on this NG and a few personal
communications with him. He was a trusted voice of knowledge and dignity in
a medium which is often filled with rancor. My condolescences go to his
family and close friends.

Jim Nunnallee
Ft. Meade, FL

Matt Heffron wrote in message <360a8...@134.217.92.90>...

Bill Shoemaker

未读,
1998年9月25日 03:00:001998/9/25
收件人
As a horticultural professional I want to express my regret for the death
of Don Gholston also. He was a reliable source of information in a medium
where questionable postings pop up often. He provided a service that
demonstrated his integrity and commitment to helping others. He was a great
web experience for me and a model for how to contribute to the web
environment. Thanks Don!

Bill Shoemaker,
University of Illinois

Matt Heffron <mthe...@beckman.com> wrote in article

<360a8...@134.217.92.90>...
: Don Gholston
: 1925 - 1998
:
: It is with deep regret that I report to you the death of Don Gholston at
the

: age of 71, at his home in Watsonville, California on September 21st.

Tim Valentine

未读,
1998年9月25日 03:00:001998/9/25
收件人

Mr. Gholston will be greatly missed by this newsgroup reader. In my mind he was
the unofficial technical moderator of this forum. Always responding with a
concise and informative response to someone seeking information. I too would
rarely pass up one of his postings, hoping to glean a little more from his
experience.
My deepest sympathies to all concerned.

TV

n...@netcom.com

未读,
1998年9月25日 03:00:001998/9/25
收件人
I have to add my regrets and condolences. I really enjoyed Mr. Gholston's
postings and learned a lot from him. He is missed.

Nancy Milligan

zv...@my-dejanews.com

未读,
1998年9月25日 03:00:001998/9/25
收件人
In article <6ufrtf$g...@news.voyager.net>,

wng...@voyager.net (Beth) wrote:
> My thoughts and prayers to the family and close friends of Don. I as a
> relatively new person on this group, always found him very helpful,
> informative and kind. He will be missed!
>
> Is there an address where we can our sympathies to his family? Perhaps it will
> help them to deal with their loss, if they see how much he meant to so many
> people.
>
> Beth

Beth, if you find out do let us know (post on a new heading). I am sure many
people would like to extend condolences to the family directly.

Amy Knutson

未读,
1998年9月25日 03:00:001998/9/25
收件人
My thoughts exactly.
-Amy K.

On Fri, 25 Sep 1998, Jim Nunnallee wrote:

> Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 10:27:29 -0400
> From: Jim Nunnallee <nu...@earthlink.net>
> Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible, rec.gardens, sci.agriculture.fruit,
> alt.agriculture.fruit
> Subject: Re: Obituary: Don Gholston

> I am very sad to hear of Mr. Gholston's passing. Although I never met him I
> learned to respect him through his postings on this NG and a few personal
> communications with him. He was a trusted voice of knowledge and dignity in
> a medium which is often filled with rancor. My condolescences go to his
> family and close friends.
>
> Jim Nunnallee
> Ft. Meade, FL
>

> Matt Heffron wrote in message <360a8...@134.217.92.90>...

> >Don Gholston
> >1925 - 1998
> >
> >It is with deep regret that I report to you the death of Don Gholston at
> the

> >age of 71, at his home in Watsonville, California on September 21st of a
> >heart
> >attack. Don was a native of San Angelo, Texas. Funeral arrangements await
> >the arrival of his family.
> >
> >Don was a long time employee of Chevron Oil Company. His kind nature, soft
> >voice and mild manner belied his competence and strength as a person. He
> >was a
> >chemist and very knowledgeable researcher. Don was a loyal and hard
> working
> >member of California Rare Fruit Growers. He devoted many hours of work in
> >supplying answers to persons writing to the CRFG web site with questions
> >regarding fruiting trees. Don had responded to approximately sixteen
> >hundred
> >requests for such information in 1998 alone.
> >
> >Don served on the CRFG Board of Directors beginning in 1991 and as
> President
> >from September 1994 until February 1996. He continued as a Vice President
> >and
> >coordinated chapter relations for Northern California. I have lost a
> >personal
> >friend and CRFG has lost a great friend and booster. Our kindest sympathy
> >goes
> >out to his family. He will be sorely missed!

Editor:
The Growing EDGE
P.O. Box 1027
341 S.W. 2nd Street
Corvallis, OR 97333
http://www.growingedge.com

Contributing Editor: www.Suite101.com's Edible Garden
http://www.suite101.com/topics/page.cfm/1070

Dan Parker

未读,
1998年9月25日 03:00:001998/9/25
收件人
<<raising a glass of Burgundy, and an ear of fresh-picked corn, to the
memory of Don>>

Dan Parker

car...@my-dejanews.com

未读,
1998年9月25日 03:00:001998/9/25
收件人
Don was, indeed a very helpful soul, who seemed to have an endless capacity
for helping people. He also made a recent appearance in the Q & A section of
Kitchen Gardener magazine in their most recent issue. His depth of knowledge
was only matched by his capacity for kindness. A true loss.

Michael

Stephen Peek

未读,
1998年9月25日 03:00:001998/9/25
收件人
I'd like to second that & say good bye to a friend I never met.
Ken Kozak wrote in message <360B9243...@crl.com>...

Neason

未读,
1998年9月25日 03:00:001998/9/25
收件人
sam...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> In article <360a8...@134.217.92.90>,
> "Matt Heffron" <mthe...@beckman.com> wrote:
> > Don Gholston
> > 1925 - 1998
> >

> So shocked and sorry to read this. I so enjoyed Don's very
> kind and informative posts. Rec.gardens.edible won't be the
> same without him.

I always read Don's posts, regardless of subject. I'll miss his
expertise and his eloquence.

Steve (Maritime...)

Matt Heffron

未读,
1998年9月25日 03:00:001998/9/25
收件人

Beth wrote in message <6ufrtf$g...@news.voyager.net>...

>Is there an address where we can our sympathies to his family? Perhaps it
will
>help them to deal with their loss, if they see how much he meant to so many
>people.
>
>Beth

For email, I was given family friend Ed Barrell <emba...@aol.com> as a
contact.
I am planning to collect all of the newsgroup comments I find and forward
them to Ed (early next week 9/28-29).

If you're inclined to send a snail-mail card, his address was:

280 Allen Lane
Watsonville, CA 95076

Matt Heffron
CRFG

Beverly Erlebacher

未读,
1998年9月25日 03:00:001998/9/25
收件人
Perhaps someone who knows Don's family could collect these usenet
tributes and give them to his relatives? I think they would like
to know how much he was respected and appreciated by people around
the world whom he never met except over the Internet.

ooHa!

未读,
1998年9月25日 03:00:001998/9/25
收件人
That is sad! He was one guy I always count on getting a good solution to a
problem.
His replies were mature and to-the-point. I will miss him for sure.
Rama Bommaraju

Pollinator

未读,
1998年9月26日 03:00:001998/9/26
收件人

From: "Matt Heffron" <mthe...@beckman.com>

<<It is with deep regret that I report to you the death of Don Gholston at the
age of 71>>

Thank you Matt, though it kind-of knocked the wind out of me.

I had enormous respect for Don. Not only did he post a lot of expert advice
on the newsgroups, but he corresponded personally with many of us. The group
will be a lot poorer......

Polli...@aol.com Dave Green Hemingway, SC USA
The Pollination Scene: http://users.aol.com/pollinator/polpage1.html

Jan's Sweetness and Light Shop (Varietal Honeys and Beeswax Candles)
http://users.aol.com/SweetnessL/sweetlit.htm

Jason Quick

未读,
1998年9月26日 03:00:001998/9/26
收件人
Don Gholston was one of those people who makes Usenet worthwhile
and interesting. To him, we owe a sincere debt of gratitude for his
advice, the information he imparted, and his general kindness. He
will indeed be sorely missed. To his family, my condolences.

Don, wherever you are, we salute you, and thank you.

Jason

Cindi James

未读,
1998年9月26日 03:00:001998/9/26
收件人
I'm so sorry! This is so sad.

cindi
mostly lurker

--
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Life is good. My toilet hasn't overflowed once today.

cin...@cris.com*****http://www.cris.com/~cindij/
^v^
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Todd Hightower

未读,
1998年9月26日 03:00:001998/9/26
收件人
Hear, Hear! A toast to the memory of Don.

Todd Hightower

Dan Parker <Dan_P...@sterling.com> wrote in article
<01bde8c7$280d7b30$7434010a@danp>...

Burton E. Westbrook

未读,
1998年9月26日 03:00:001998/9/26
收件人
farme...@aol.com (FarmerDill) wrote:

>I for one will surely miss him. His posts were always even handed, practical
>and to the point

>Dill.

A great contributer and a real gentleman.

Burt

Sammk

未读,
1998年9月26日 03:00:001998/9/26
收件人

>To him, we owe a sincere debt of gratitude for his
>advice, the information he imparted, and his general kindness. He
>will indeed be sorely missed. To his family, my condolences.

thank you for helping us find the words to say.
tragic

the Kosiak family

Martin , Andrea and Abraham Jackson (AJ)
sammk(antispam)@aol.com

Maureen Fischer

未读,
1998年9月26日 03:00:001998/9/26
收件人
So sorry to hear this news. Don was so very helpful and seemed to never
tire of helping us newbies. I will miss his presence. Condolences to
his family and friends.

Maureen

car...@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> Don was, indeed a very helpful soul, who seemed to have an endless capacity
> for helping people. He also made a recent appearance in the Q & A section of
> Kitchen Gardener magazine in their most recent issue. His depth of knowledge
> was only matched by his capacity for kindness. A true loss.
>
> Michael

Jack Schidt

未读,
1998年9月26日 03:00:001998/9/26
收件人
He'll be missed, for sure. I attribute much of my success in gardening to
his tutelage and kindly, thorough explanations.

I'm sure he's in a place where tomatoes grow worm free and blight doesn't
happen.

bye, Don

The Purcell's

未读,
1998年9月27日 03:00:001998/9/27
收件人
Don frequently helped this newbie here. I will certainly miss his posts
and his assistance.

We will all miss you Don.

Ron Miller

未读,
1998年9月27日 03:00:001998/9/27
收件人
Wow, I haven't been here in a while but my heart sunk as soon as I saw
this. My heart goes out to his family.

Richard Africa

未读,
1998年9月27日 03:00:001998/9/27
收件人
On Thu, 24 Sep 1998 10:33:45 -0700, "Matt Heffron"
<mthe...@beckman.com> wrote:

>Don Gholston
>1925 - 1998

My condolences to his family and friends.

Mr. Gholston will definitely be missed. Even when I wasn't too
curious about the questions he was answering, I made it a point to
read what he had to say. I knew that if it came from Don, it would be
informative, concise, and above all, interesting. He was always
willing to help out newbies and to encourage them in a hobby that he
deeply loved. This was quite evident by his effort to answer all
questions directed at him.

The only topic I ever had to ask him about was on the growing and
harvesting of corn. I had planned to stop growing corn this coming
year as it took up quite a bit of space but I think I will grow a
small patch in his memory. Can't think of a perfect salute than with
the picking of the first ears next year.

To the people in this newsgroup: Think about Don when you work in
your gardens. I'm sure nothing would please him more than seeing you
all enjoying the fruits of your labours.

Goodbye Don. The newsgroup will miss you very much.

J Wintermute

未读,
1998年9月28日 03:00:001998/9/28
<mthe...@beckman.com> wrote:

>Don Gholston
>1925 - 1998
>

>It is with deep regret that I report to you the death of Don Gholston at the

>age of 71, at his home in Watsonville, California on September 21st of a
>heart attack.

Matt, please let Don's family know that he touched many lives here in
rec.gardens.

--Janet Wintermute
Adelphi, MD

Dyan

未读,
1998年9月28日 03:00:001998/9/28
收件人
I have only been part of this group since May and even in that short period
of time is was easy to see how much Don enjoyed a chance to share his
considerable knowledge. Typing now with the little lychee seedling he
helped me with sitting beside me I can't help but feel a sense of loss, and
how much more painful this must be for people that actually knew him.
--
dyan
Walnut Creek., CA Zone 9/10 Sunset Zone 14

Matt Heffron <mthe...@beckman.com> wrote in article
<360a8...@134.217.92.90>...

> Don Gholston
> 1925 - 1998
>
> It is with deep regret that I report to you the death of Don Gholston at
the
> age of 71, at his home in Watsonville, California on September 21st of a
> heart

> attack. Don was a native of San Angelo, Texas. Funeral arrangements
await
> the arrival of his family.
>
> Don was a long time employee of Chevron Oil Company. His kind nature,
soft
> voice and mild manner belied his competence and strength as a person. He
> was a
> chemist and very knowledgeable researcher. Don was a loyal and hard
working
> member of California Rare Fruit Growers. He devoted many hours of work
in
> supplying answers to persons writing to the CRFG web site with questions
> regarding fruiting trees. Don had responded to approximately sixteen
> hundred
> requests for such information in 1998 alone.
>
> Don served on the CRFG Board of Directors beginning in 1991 and as
President
> from September 1994 until February 1996. He continued as a Vice
President
> and
> coordinated chapter relations for Northern California. I have lost a
> personal
> friend and CRFG has lost a great friend and booster. Our kindest
sympathy

> goes

Mark Anspach

未读,
1998年9月28日 03:00:001998/9/28
收件人
I also want to echo Jim's tribute. Don will be greatly missed. What impressed
me the most about his postings was his kindness. His passion for this science
was clear in his persistent and gentle responses to sometimes inane, sometimes
insolent questions we all threw his way on this newsgroup and others. Thanks
Don. I hope we all can now live by your example.

Mark Anspach

Jim Nunnallee wrote:

> I am very sad to hear of Mr. Gholston's passing. Although I never met him I
> learned to respect him through his postings on this NG and a few personal
> communications with him. He was a trusted voice of knowledge and dignity in
> a medium which is often filled with rancor. My condolescences go to his
> family and close friends.
>
> Jim Nunnallee
> Ft. Meade, FL
>

> Matt Heffron wrote in message <360a8...@134.217.92.90>...

Matt Heffron

未读,
1998年9月28日 03:00:001998/9/28
收件人
Beverly Erlebacher wrote in message
<1998Sep25.1...@jarvis.cs.toronto.edu>...

I'm planning to do just that.

Matt Heffron

KevO

未读,
1998年9月28日 03:00:001998/9/28
收件人

Condolences to the family. To echo the everyone else. Mr. Gholston replies
and advice will be greatly missed by me and I am sure by others too.

><>><>><>><>><>><>><>><>><>><>><> <>< ><>><>><>><>><>><>><>><>><>><>><>><>
Kevin Ong -(Graduate Assistant)- | Dept. of Plant Pathology and Physiology
O:(864)656-5753 H:(864)882-7688 | CLEMSON UNIVERSITY, SOUTH CAROLINA
email: ke...@clemson.edu URL: http://www.clemson.edu/~kevo
"For God so LOVED the world that He gave His only begotten Son..." Jn 3:16
*[CAMPUS CRUSADE for CHRIST at CLEMSON]***[URL= http://www.clemson.edu/ccc ]*

Joe Kleinsmith

未读,
1998年9月28日 03:00:001998/9/28
收件人
> >Don Gholston
> >1925 - 1998

I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one never to skip a post from Don.
His knowledge will be greatly missed.

Rest in peace Don.

JoeK

Susan K. Wehe

未读,
1998年9月28日 03:00:001998/9/28
收件人
I saw that article in Kitchen Garden also and was planning on congratulating him
but never had the chance. Don's advice and his wealth of knowledge about
nurseries (especially those that carried hard to find low chill varieties) will
be sorely missed. My condolences to his family and friends. Don was one of a
kind and this NG will never be the same without him.

Susan K. Wehe

timc...@nospamunlimited.net

未读,
1998年9月29日 03:00:001998/9/29
收件人
On Sun, 27 Sep 1998 04:29:20 GMT, The Purcell's <pur...@sympatico.ca>
wrote:

>Don frequently helped this newbie here. I will certainly miss his posts
>and his assistance.
>
>We will all miss you Don.

Don helped me here with problems a few times, and I got used to seeing
his posts in the NG. I feel like I lost a neighbor.
Carol McE

Ken.Livermore

未读,
1998年9月30日 03:00:001998/9/30
收件人
Matt,
Please pass on my sympathies, he was a good man, I always read his posts
as well as the replys to his posts. He really enjoyed helping people.
I will miss his presence on the net, he was enjoyable.
Ken. Livermore

--
*** Kenneth G. Livermore **************************
**Consultant on fruit tree plantings(K & G Consulting)

David in Alabama

未读,
1998年10月1日 03:00:001998/10/1
收件人
I was very stunned and shocked to read this news. I haven't been
reading this group for long (just a few months), but I had received
several personal E-mail replies from Don regarding my questions....
He really took a lot of time to help educate the newbies out there and
to pass along his joy in fruit farming. His passing will definitely
leave a huge void here...

David

A Caramatti

未读,
1998年10月1日 03:00:001998/10/1
收件人
Clear land
Seedling
Tree
Stump
Clear land

-- Al Caramatti

Matt Heffron wrote in message <360a8...@134.217.92.90>...

>Don Gholston
>1925 - 1998
>

>It is with deep regret that I report to you the death of Don Gholston at
the
>age of 71, at his home in Watsonville, California on September 21st of a
>heart attack.

-- snip ---

Zita Maria Evensen

未读,
1998年10月10日 03:00:001998/10/10
收件人

As a newbie on rec.gardens.edible, Don Gholston provided many helpful answers
to my questions. Please convey my condolence to his family. I will miss his
wise advice.

Z Evensen

--
Dance with fingers like butterflies