Bimini Run for Genesis out

Han J. Lee

May 21, 1991, 5:47:27 AM5/21/91
Just saw this game at a local Good Guys! for $49.
From the box screen shots, the game looked similar to "Live and Let Die" on
the Amiga. I believe this game is NuVision's debut work on Genesis... can
anyone give a review?

___
Han J. Lee /| /|| |/\
hl...@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Internet) / |/ || |>-|
/_____||_|_/

Dave Arlington

May 21, 1991, 10:02:00 AM5/21/91

In article <13...@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, hl...@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Han J. Lee) writes:
|> Just saw this game at a local Good Guys! for $49.
|> From the box screen shots, the game looked similar to "Live and Let Die" on
|> the Amiga. I believe this game is NuVision's debut work on Genesis... can
|> anyone give a review?

Well, we rented that and Gain Ground this weekend. Bimini Run gets points
for being something different at least on the Genesis. You and a friend are
trying to stop an evil mad doctor who has kidnapped your girl. (So what else
is new?) So you hop in your speedboat and take off on a variety of missions.
In a one-player game, you control both pilot and gunner and can only shoot in
the direction the boat is pointing. In the two-player version, one drives
and one shoots and the shooter may now fire in different drections.

Each stage gives you a different task to accomplish. In the first stage, you
have to chase the bad guys boat while navigating a harbor full of sailboats.
The bad guys just crash right through them, but you have to go around.
Interference, other than the sailboats, is minimal here.

In the second stage, you have to take out some Radio Towers and guard posts
located on various islands. This is the first stage where you get to take
advantage of the control panel you have that has a short range and long
range map on it that shows all the islands, sand bars, rocks, clouds (which
contain bad weather and lightning) and enemies. Interference in the way of
attack boats and helicopter picks up here.

In the third stage, you have to chase the escaping mad doctor while dodging
even more boats and helicopters. Also the mad doctor likes to lead you through
dangerous waters.

In the fourth stage, you have to take out more guard towers and now bunkers
as you try to narrow down the possible locations of the mad doctor's hideout.

There are more stages, but that's all we reached in one weekend. Sound is OK,
even though there are only two themes. Graphics also OK, except the 3-D
effect they use is weird sometimes. (You sometimes have to go around islands
to reach the guard tower and to do that you need a series of right angle turns
rather than just a curving path.) It seemed sort of easy, but I liked the
variety of tasks.

AS for Gain Ground, I have to say we rented based on the Nets advice that the
magazine ratings for this game were wrong. Well, they aren't! I thought the
music and graphics were terrible. It is supposed to have some strategy in
which guys you pick, but it is really limited since most of the 20 guys(gals)
are just subtle variations on 2 or 3 basic types. I admit the two player
was the better, but even that stunk because it was too easy for the players
to acciedently get in each other's way. In all, a good rental game for a
weekend but quite desrving of the 4s and 5s that EGM gave it.

Dave Arlington