SNES vs Gensis which do you like?

bbo...@cc.utah.edu

Feb 5, 1992, 8:16:47 PM2/5/92
I am sure that this has been talked to death but I missed the entire discussion
Any answers on the following would be great. Please email your reply since
I don't get enough time to stay on top of this group.

I am comparing both SNES vs genisis and was wondering which is thought to be
the better machine in terms of graphic/sound quality. I am willing to wait for
games for SNES so that is not a major consideration in my purchase.

I was dissapointed in the fact that SNES does not have audio/vidio jacks like
NES did (I saw a video jack but no audio) Am I forced to hook it up through
the "black box" to the tv to get sound? What does genisis have?

Any opinions on either of these will be welcomed

thanks,
brian

bbo...@uucc.utah.edu
or
bbo...@rhenium.chem.utah.edu

Rob Laddish

Feb 6, 1992, 5:31:33 PM2/6/92
In rec.games.video, bbo...@cc.utah.edu writes:

> I was dissapointed in the fact that SNES does not have audio/vidio jacks like
> NES did (I saw a video jack but no audio) Am I forced to hook it up through
> the "black box" to the tv to get sound? What does genisis have?

I hate to disappoint you, but the SNES comes with an A/V connector that
plugs into the back. By all means, use it! Some of the stereo effects are
"awesome"! Somebody posted earlier that their rental store did not rent out
the cable, I real bummer. If your bought the SNES, and have no cable, then
you got RIPPED OFF.
The Genesis needs an option accesory to get the A/V cable, and then the
Audio is only mono. Another $10 in parts from radio shack will allow you to
use the headphone output to get stereo. ($5 of it for a headphone L connector)

Have fun!

Rob
---------___----------------------------------------------------------
/ / Robert Laddish AT&T: 707-577-3767
HEWLETT/hp/PACKARD HP Santa Rosa, Ca. Telnet: 1-577-3767
/__/ mail stop 4USQ ro...@sr.hp.com

Stephen Jonke

Feb 7, 1992, 7:21:01 PM2/7/92
In article <230...@hpnmdla.sr.hp.com>, ro...@hpnmdla.sr.hp.com (Rob Laddish) writes:

> In rec.games.video, bbo...@cc.utah.edu writes:
>
> > I was dissapointed in the fact that SNES does not have audio/vidio jacks like
> > NES did (I saw a video jack but no audio) Am I forced to hook it up through
> > the "black box" to the tv to get sound? What does genisis have?
>
> I hate to disappoint you, but the SNES comes with an A/V connector that
> plugs into the back. By all means, use it! Some of the stereo effects are
> "awesome"! Somebody posted earlier that their rental store did not rent out
> the cable, I real bummer. If your bought the SNES, and have no cable, then
> you got RIPPED OFF.
> The Genesis needs an option accesory to get the A/V cable, and then the
> Audio is only mono. Another $10 in parts from radio shack will allow you to
> use the headphone output to get stereo. ($5 of it for a headphone L connector)

The SNES requires you to put up with abysmally bad games that cost more then
Genesis games.

Steve

P.S. This message intended purely to intensify the flame war. Quote at your
own risk. (insert smiley face here)

Steve Petrie

Feb 7, 1992, 10:17:51 AM2/7/92

> I was dissapointed in the fact that SNES does not have audio/vidio jacks like
> NES did (I saw a video jack but no audio) Am I forced to hook it up through
> the "black box" to the tv to get sound? What does genisis have?

NOT true. The SNES comes with a cable that plugs into a 2x6 multi-out port
that gives you composite video and stereo audio. There is also a seperate
cable available for S-Video. Supposedly RGB is also available from the port,
but I haven't heard of a cable available to take advantage of that.

> Any opinions on either of these will be welcomed

They both have good and bad points. Look at what games are available for
each, and weigh that heavily in your decision.

I have an SNES, and am very pleased with it. I would have enjoyed a Genesis
as well, but my budget (ie: wife) would not allow both. :=)

> thanks,
> brian

> bbo...@uucc.utah.edu
> or
> bbo...@rhenium.chem.utah.edu

-Steve st...@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com

Sonny Shrivastava

Feb 8, 1992, 6:46:45 AM2/8/92
bbo...@cc.utah.edu writes:

> I am sure that this has been talked to death but I missed the entire discussi

> Any answers on the following would be great. Please email your reply since
> I don't get enough time to stay on top of this group.
>
> I am comparing both SNES vs genisis and was wondering which is thought to be
> the better machine in terms of graphic/sound quality. I am willing to wait f

> games for SNES so that is not a major consideration in my purchase.
>
> I was dissapointed in the fact that SNES does not have audio/vidio jacks like
> NES did (I saw a video jack but no audio) Am I forced to hook it up through
> the "black box" to the tv to get sound? What does genisis have?

With the exception of the NEO-GEO, the S-NES has the best graphics and
sound on the market. However, even though the S-NES has more colors, it
can't adequately animate a large number of sprites because of hardware
limitations. What this means is that all current (and future) shooters
suffer from slowdown, which is very annoying. In fact, other games like
SG&G suffer from significant slowdown. If you can live with jerky games
that often slow down, then get the S-NES.

If, on the other hand, you can't stand a game that slows down, get eithr
the Genesis or the NEO-GEO. I suggest you play the systems before you buy
them.

Harry Herman

Feb 11, 1992, 7:22:10 AM2/11/92

>> I was dissapointed in the fact that SNES does not have audio/vidio jacks like
>> NES did (I saw a video jack but no audio) Am I forced to hook it up through
>> the "black box" to the tv to get sound? What does genisis have?

> NOT true. The SNES comes with a cable that plugs into a 2x6 multi-out port
>that gives you composite video and stereo audio. There is also a seperate
>cable available for S-Video. Supposedly RGB is also available from the port,
>but I haven't heard of a cable available to take advantage of that.

A couple of issues back, one of the gaming magazines mentioned a company that
makes RGB cables for various systems, including the SNES. If your monitor
requires a custom cable, they will even make that for you. If anybody is
interested, I can look up the name and address again.

>> bbo...@uucc.utah.edu
>> or
>> bbo...@rhenium.chem.utah.edu

>-Steve st...@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com

Harry Herman Corpane Industries, Inc.
UUCP: her...@corpane.uucp
Internet: herman%cor...@uunet.uu.net

Ralph Barbagallo

Feb 9, 1992, 12:37:35 AM2/9/92
The Super NES games are not abysmally bad. There are a few examples though,
Hyper Zone, Lagoon, etc. However, in general, the SNES library is filled with
excelent games. And, if you look at the current Genesis game collection, you'll
find that most SNES games do not cost more than the average Genesis title, and
if they do, it's only by a few bucks, with the exception of FF2 etc.

The Genesis library is the one I'd be worried about. Latley their games have
been mediocre to poor, with a few examples (Sonic, Toe Jam, etc.). The
liscensees have been pushing ANYTHING out the door just to get more titles out.
The result is a flood of poor Genesis games. Just look at Twin Cobra,
Mario Lemieux Hockey, Super Volleyball, etc.

= = Editor of //\ =
= Ralph A. Barbagallo III = //_ \ R E N A =
= ----------------------- = // \ =
= nug...@genesis.nred.ma.us = THE Newsletter for video game information=
=_______________________________________________________________________=
= Also... Co-Editor of * * **** =
= * * * * I N D * T O R M =
=___________________ * * * _____ *** ________________________=
* * *
***

Douglas S. Rand

Feb 11, 1992, 12:55:45 PM2/11/92
In article <92020...@genesis.nred.ma.us> nug...@genesis.nred.ma.us (Ralph Barbagallo) writes:

The Super NES games are not abysmally bad. There are a few examples though,
Hyper Zone, Lagoon, etc. However, in general, the SNES library is filled with
excelent games. And, if you look at the current Genesis game collection, you'll
find that most SNES games do not cost more than the average Genesis title, and
if they do, it's only by a few bucks, with the exception of FF2 etc.

Just to prove that people don't agree on anything :), I have Lagoon
and like it fine. To respond to the original poster: I looked at
the list of genesis games and decided I didn't want them. I looked
at the list of games that SNES would have and thought I might like
them. I tried both systems and decided that my kind of game (i.e.
not shooters) would be fine on the SNES.

I've rented most of the games out for SNES. I'm pretty well convinced
that the minor slowdowns that some of the games have is not a big
deal, and that they will vanish as the programming staffs get
better at exploiting the system.

--
Douglas S. Rand
Internet: <dsr...@mitre.org>

Filaman

Feb 11, 1992, 10:23:33 PM2/11/92
In article <92020...@genesis.nred.ma.us> nug...@genesis.nred.ma.us (Ralph Barbagallo) writes:
>The Genesis library is the one I'd be worried about. Latley their games have
>been mediocre to poor, with a few examples (Sonic, Toe Jam, etc.). The
~~~~~~~~
Was this supposed to be "exceptions"?
While I love my Genesis, I've haven't come accoss any Mario-like games with
any near the playability of the NES. I love playing Quackshot, Sonic and
Mickey Mouse, but these games are far simpler than Super Mario Brothers II
or III. I'm really disappointed with the library of games offered by the SNES.
I'm waiting for more and better games to become available before I purchase
one. If however, great playing games do become available, I would expect the
game play to override any deficiencies the hardware may exhibit. I can live
with occasional slow-down, better than I can spending $50.00 for a game I can
solve in a couple of days (without constant attention).
--
_____ _ _ __ _ _ __ _ _ Palmer Chappelle
| ____) | | | | / \ | \/ | / \ | \ | | VMark Software, Inc.
| __) | | | |__ | || | | |\/| | | || | | |\\| | uvmark%pal...@merk.com
|_| |_| |____) |_||_| |_| |_| |_||_| |_| \ _| USRSA Certified Stringer

Michael Bain

Feb 11, 1992, 5:59:51 PM2/11/92
ro...@hpnmdla.sr.hp.com (Rob Laddish):

> The Genesis needs an option accesory to get the A/V cable, and then the
>Audio is only mono. Another $10 in parts from radio shack will allow you to
>use the headphone output to get stereo. ($5 of it for a headphone L connector)

Anybody have an idea on how to connect the SNES stereo outputs to a
set of headphones w/o having to buy an expensive amp? My kid's stereo
doesn't have audio inputs.

--
Michael Bain (206) 393-9526
Boeing Commercial Airplane Group meb...@galileo.boeing.com

Michael Goo

Feb 10, 1992, 5:31:15 PM2/10/92
> ro...@hpnmdla.sr.hp.com (Rob Laddish) writes...

> The Genesis needs an option accesory to get the A/V cable, and then the
>Audio is only mono. Another $10 in parts from radio shack will allow you to
>use the headphone output to get stereo. ($5 of it for a headphone L connector)

Just get a ready-made stereo-mini-plug-to-RCA cable. This is the same cable
you would use to hook up a portable CD player to your home stereo or boom-box.
This would cost less than $10 unless you get the gold-plated stuff.

Peter A. Cohen

Feb 12, 1992, 11:42:38 AM2/12/92
In article <510...@hpindda.cup.hp.com> g...@hpindda.cup.hp.com (Michael Goo)
writes:

>Just get a ready-made stereo-mini-plug-to-RCA cable. This is the same cable
>you would use to hook up a portable CD player to your home stereo or boom-box.
>This would cost less than $10 unless you get the gold-plated stuff.

This is a kludge. As much as I love my Genesis, I wish that Sega had been
smart on this subject. If they want the Genesis to be accepted as a legitimate
home entertainment component, they should have used RCA jacks, which connect
everything from VCRs to phonographs. The signal quality is better and the
connection is cleaner. An RCA jack has less capability of being damaged, too.
The other option would be to figure out a way to do MTS encoding thru an RF
modulator

Joseph James Ervin

Feb 12, 1992, 8:22:49 AM2/12/92
I agree with what someone else already said:

Check out which systems have the games you want to play.

Buy the system that has the best combination of game availability
and the games you like to play. Try to visit some friends who have
game systems and see what you like best.

>>>Joe

Teh Yang

Feb 12, 1992, 2:12:52 PM2/12/92

Well another option would be to get both a Genesis and a SNES, and then
get a Game Doctor. Then you would have available to you ALL the games for
both systems. You'll have the best games from both systems.

Of course it'll cost you $1000 or more but if you think about it, if you
buy games regularly at about $50/game, just 20 cartridges will cost you
$1000! And most people will not be satisfied with only 20 carts to play
around with. So a Doctor is not really such a bad investment.

But of course, then you might end up with so many games your brain will
just turn to mush and you'll fail all your classes....

-tehkao

Ralph Barbagallo

Feb 11, 1992, 8:36:37 AM2/11/92
How can you say that all future shooters will have slowdown on the SNES?
Sure, the older titles do have slowdown and flicker (look at Gradius III!),
but with the development of the new Nintendo MMCs for the SNES, you will
see slowdown and flicker virtually disappear. Look at Smash T.V., reported
to have little if no slowdown by ALL the mag reviews. More to follow!

Jeff Sullivan

Feb 12, 1992, 3:52:27 PM2/12/92

Are you suggesting pirating all those games? Otherwise, it will still
cost you to buy them anyway. It really looks like you're advocating
pirating.

In that case, you're making ME (and anyone else who avctually buys
games) pay for your playing, since they'll start jacking up prices if
pirating gets too bad.

Don't do it. have you no respect for the work they've put into their
games? either they're worth the money or they're not, but don't steal
them. That makes you worse than the lowest overpricer.

jas
Jeffrey A. Sullivan | Senior Systems Apologist, Grade F
j...@venera.isi.edu | Information Sciences Institute
j...@isi.edu | University of Southern California

Filaman

Feb 12, 1992, 3:33:37 PM2/12/92
In article <1992Feb12.1...@eff.org> pet...@eff.org (Peter A. Cohen) writes:
>This is a kludge. As much as I love my Genesis, I wish that Sega had been
>smart on this subject. If they want the Genesis to be accepted as a legitimate
>home entertainment component, they should have used RCA jacks, which connect
>everything from VCRs to phonographs. The signal quality is better and the
>connection is cleaner. An RCA jack has less capability of being damaged, too.
>The other option would be to figure out a way to do MTS encoding thru an RF
>modulator

I agree, I couldn't believe they were so blind. I did, however, read that
the Mega CD has RCA output jacks (plus a wire connecting to the stereo
output in the front of the genesis). Quite an expensive way to do things
the right way, but at least this time they were thinking.

Shih-Ta Peng

Feb 12, 1992, 10:20:40 PM2/12/92
I finally got a chance to play with Super Goulsn' Ghost this weekend I
was shocked to find how easily the SNES slows down. Even in the first
level when the gound shifts up or down and just a few enemies and
the entire system slows down...although admitedly not a lot, but
significant enough to effect game play. I was very disappointed to
say to least

Shih-ta

Roy Kern

Feb 13, 1992, 4:18:08 PM2/13/92
In article <92021...@genesis.nred.ma.us>, nug...@genesis.nred.ma.us (Ralph Barbagallo) writes:
> How can you say that all future shooters will have slowdown on the SNES?
> Sure, the older titles do have slowdown and flicker (look at Gradius III!),
> but with the development of the new Nintendo MMCs for the SNES, you will
> see slowdown and flicker virtually disappear. Look at Smash T.V., reported

How can you say that all future SNES games will have virtually no flicker?

Roy.

Ralph Barbagallo

Feb 13, 1992, 6:34:01 AM2/13/92
Oops! You got me there, I did mean exceptions. Anyway, what do you expect.
The reason why the SNES library is so small is that it has only been around
for roughly 6 months. I think Nintendo and its liscensees have done a FINE
job of producing games. Look at how long it took Sega to start getting in
the swing of things as far as games are concerned. (number wise, not quality)
I remember spending the summer of 1990 just waiting for a new game to come out.
The only releases that summer were few and far between...

jsho...@amherst.edu

Feb 14, 1992, 10:38:09 AM2/14/92

Ok, you obviously have a bias, and have attempted to hide it behind
"The SNES games are not abysmally bad. There are a few examples though..."
(BTW I think you meant to say exceptions.) Obviously, each person likes/hates
his share of games. However, all you have done, mr. Barbagallo, is bash the
genesis whenever you post a message. Let me address both of your points...
SNES: Not only is the SNES library still small (the number of games
that the average person can actually get his hands on right now), but a
significant percentage of the games are not very good at all, IMHO. Luckily, I
have been able to play almost all of the SNES releases, so I can say that I
really didn't enjoy Laimbeer's b-ball, Lagoon, Gradius III, John Madden
football, drakkhen, Final Fight, Super R-Type, or Hole-In-One Golf.
Nevertheless, I had a lot of fun with Castlevania IV, Super Ghouls and Ghosts,
Super Tennis, SMW, Pilotwings, F-Zero, and Final Fantasy II. The slowdown
seems to be a problem on the games out right now, but hopefully the programmers
will fix this problem as they become more acquainted with the system, but the
SNES is not as GREAT as you have made it out to seem, especially on some of
your previous posts (I wish I could find and quote them, but they've been
erased from news for age). It's a good system.
Genesis: certainly not as bad as you would have us believe. I can
name F-22, NHL Hockey, Streets of Rage, The Immortal, Phantasy Star III, Master
of Monsters, Heavy Nova, Arcus Odyssey, Pit Fighter, Quackshot, Shining in the
Darkness, Road Rash, and my favorite video game right now, John Madden Football
'92, as some of the great games of 1991 and early 1992, IMHO. Of course there
are
games that I don't like, and among them are Twin Cobra, Slaughtersport, shadow
of the Beast, Back to the Future III, Speedball 2, Mario Lemieux, Joe Montana
Sportstalk football, Saint Sword, Growl, and Super Volleyball, all released in
the past year (thank goodness for game rental!). Of course my opinions, and
yours, are just that- opinions. It just bugs me when you bash virtually the
entire line of genesis games without really saying that there ARE more than two
great games available (not to mention the great games from 1989-90, and there
are some).
The fact of the matter is this: both systems have great games AND
crappy ones availiable for them, but the Genesis has many more games available
for it, as I finish this message, than the SNES. That is fact.

John

Ho-Wei Wong

Feb 17, 1992, 10:15:36 AM2/17/92
Hello TG-16 fans:
I just found something in a magazine I bought in Taiwan, and inside
there is this thing call "Hucard Transformer". It allows you to use
Japanese core grafx hucards with american turbografx-16 PC engines,
greatly expanding the range of playably game. Contect me for more
information.
Ho-Wei

Harry Herman

Feb 16, 1992, 10:47:05 PM2/16/92

I did not think it was safe to plug the headphone jack from a radio, etc. into
the RCA inputs of a stereo system, due to the voltages and impedences
not matching.

sytr...@inland.com

Feb 19, 1992, 10:53:29 PM2/19/92
this is bull..... genesis has better graphics then snes. some people are
just tring to convince themselves that their snes is a great machine, when
we all know they really wanted to buy a Genesis system.

Stephen Jonke

Feb 20, 1992, 3:02:10 PM2/20/92
In article <1992Feb19....@inland.com>, sytr...@inland.com writes:

> this is bull..... genesis has better graphics then snes. some people are
> just tring to convince themselves that their snes is a great machine, when
> we all know they really wanted to buy a Genesis system.

The graphics in Super Mario World are weak at best, but the graphics in
Wailee Golf are incredible -- better then anything I've played on Genesis
(including Sonic). Incidentally, I own a Genesis, and NOT a SNES, so you
aren't seeing a biased opinion here. Super R-Types graphics are NOT as
good as Thunder Force III on Genesis and SRT does have a rather ridiculous
level of slow down (I don't rememeber any in TFIII). I mean right near
the beginning of the game is a section that starts to stutter with only
maybe 10 or 11 things on the screen. Super Smash TV suppossedly has no
slow down and great graphics (can't verify this, though).

The SNES has several different graphics modes with different pixel and
color resolutions (SMW uses a lower resolution mode in order to fit more
onto the cartridge) and this may account for your belief that the SNES
has worse graphics -- it depends on which game you look at. Nintendo's
choice to make SMW a low resolution game was a big marketing mistake in
my opinion (it wasn't obvious to the consumer that SNES was any better
then NES because SMW is what they saw first).

Oh, I should point out that I've only had short periods of time on demo
SNES's in order to see these games, so I can't give an in depth opinion.
I'm only talking about the graphics I saw in a short period of time.

Steve

Eric S Graeler

Feb 20, 1992, 6:53:48 PM2/20/92

This is funny I was thinking just the opposite. The Genesis games that I have
seen always seem to have somewhat dull colors, where as the SNES is brighter.
Besides, if you take a look at the spec sheets it is very easy to see that the
SNES has greater graphics potential. Sure some of the games may slow down
to varying degrees, but the system just came out. As the system stays out
longer programmers will start to do various "Tricks" to improve games. Look
at the Atari 2600 when it first came out, the games that were made towards
the end of its reign blew the first games away. It is just a matter of time.
As for the slow down now I believe that it is caused by the cartridges using
the slower processor speed. I'm sure that once they start using the higher
speed that more bits will be able to be pushed through the v-blank and thus
slow down will be gone. I have seen several articles saying that the game
smash TV does not suffer from slow-down and that there are many animated
sprites on the screen, not just many moving around. Of course I have not seen
it yet, but when I do I will judge for myself. I am happy with my SNES. I had
considered both systems and the game SMW pushed me over the edge to get it. I
have a friend that has a Genisis and he thinks that Mario blows Sonic away,
although a lot of it is personal choice. So screw all this loyalty to your
system crap and stop trying to sway people one way or another on opinionated
statements. Simply state facts and let people decide for themselves which
system they would prefer. I buy what seems to be the best machine to me no
matter who makes it, and it is simply a personal choice of which is better.
Guaranteed someone else will think another system is better for what ever
reason.

Eric S. Graeler
egra...@ucunix.san.uc.edu
egra...@uceng.uc.edu

p.s. Any spelling or gramatical errors are cause by sporadict glitches in
computer hardware due to cosmic rays. Complaints should be mailed to
nu...@dev.null.null.null
This has been a public service announcement.

Graeme Nattress

Feb 21, 1992, 8:50:19 AM2/21/92

I Don't own either a Genesis or an SNES but I have used both,and I have no
intention of buying either of them....

The Genesis:

I find the graphics to look pixelly and small, the lack of colours
mean that the artists have to use stippling and alternate dots to produce the
extra tones needed. The sprites also seem to lack a fluidity that one associates
with arcade games..
The speed of games and the smoothness of the scrolling is fine, but
the graphics tend to be a bit bland on the colour front. I do not find it's
sound impressive at all.
Possibly the worst critasism, is that when they convert arcade
games such as golden Axe and other simple beat em ups, which should be easy to
do perfect conversions (bar the slot for the 10p) they seem to be a lot less
than perfect. They seem to lack the fluidity of play and the size and
colourfullness of the graphics....
The sound, is competant but unimpressive. It does not jump out of
the speakers at you and say 'wow, what sound'!

The SNES:

The resolution, although lower in some games than the Genesis lookes
better due to the use of a larger colour pallette, negating the need
to use stippeling patterns to produce better shading. The sprites seem
not to be fixed to the background and move fluidly 'above' it.... On
the few games I have seen on it the 'infamous' slowdown is apparent,
along with the sprite flicker.... Although I seem to remember early
Genesis games being very simple and slow..... Also, no one complains
about Salamander (Lifeforce) and the nemesis - Gradius series in the
arcades for slowdown because the games are so good (IMHO), and look
how early computer games have speeded up over the years. BUT SNES
should have had a better processor, but at least they have the sense
to include maths co-processors in some of the cartridges...

The Joypad on the SNES is better than the Genesis' and althought extra
buttons confuse you at first they make games like SMW at lot better,
the buttons on the Genesis control pad, although nice to press are too
far apart...

The SNES does have the sprite scaling and rotation on it's side. These
produce some excellent effects.....

The Styling of the SNES is like a brick.... The Super Famicon looks nice
though, The Styling of the Genesis is not too bad, but the volume knob is out
of place.

I don't know too much about the standard outputs for video and audio, but
it seems like both of them do not have enough. The super famicon I've used had
a bodged Scart connector which gives RGB output and two phonos (RCA's) for the
sound. I'm impressed with the crispness and clarity of the sound, but if you
don't have the proper outputs it might sound a bit bad....

Graeme,
{--- T.G.Na...@uk.ac.ncl -----------------------------------------}
{--------------------------------- The Moral of this story is: ---------}
{--- Never trust a Venusian Floghorn with a Perigosto Stick. --------}
{-----------------------------------------------------------------------}

Victor M. Rosario

Feb 21, 1992, 2:11:32 PM2/21/92

AAAAARGHHHH! NO! The Snes,super famicom 'piece of junk' or
whatever name you want to put it in, DOES NOT (i'm going
to tell you once more again) DOESNOT scale sprites! As simple
as that! The only thing it scales are the BACKGROUNDS!!!!!!!!

Ok.Now that that's out of my chest (Whew!) I'm gonna tell you yet
ANOTHER truth...is not the programming...it's the machine!
The machine does not help when it comes to intensity of the games!

Before I saw the Snes I thought it'll blew away the genesis...

When I saw the games I thought myself that this is going to be
the end of the genesis.Even my Sega die-hard friends (believe me
i am the most flexible of them) have fear.

Today i am thinking that it's a shame for a 1988 machine to be on
the front of a 1990 one...

I am feeling better now...but please DONT stop sending flames!
Democracy is breaking barriers! DONT let anyone intimate you
from expressing your opinions! ...Just let the chest be empty...:)

Michael Goo

Feb 18, 1992, 9:42:32 PM2/18/92

I write...

her...@corpane.uucp (Harry Herman) responds...

>I did not think it was safe to plug the headphone jack from a radio, etc. into
>the RCA inputs of a stereo system, due to the voltages and impedences
>not matching.

I talked to one of my hardware-jockey friends and there can, in fact, be
problems with this, so do it at your own risk.

He also suggested the construction of a simple electronic circuit that would
"match" the voltage and impedence. I'll do more investigation and report
back here.

Mike Goo

P.S. I know that using the headphone jack is a major kludge. I wish Sega
had put RCA jacks on the stupid thing!

Michael Goo |
Hewlett-Packard | "I never try to cover my ass...
Information Networks Division | but I certainly support your right to do so!"
19420 Homestead Road MS 43LT |
Cupertino, CA 95014-9974 |
g...@hpinddh.cup.hp.com |

Ralph Barbagallo

Feb 21, 1992, 1:47:52 PM2/21/92
Oh no, the SNES can only scale backgrounds... The Genesis can't scale
ANYTHING! The SNES is not a peice of junk, both systems have their merits.
The SNES can handle an intense game, look at Smash TV! Little to NO flicker or
slowdown! With the new MMCs on the way, the Slowodown should be rather well
contained, if not eliminated.

Tommy Szeto

Feb 20, 1992, 4:23:05 PM2/20/92
> this is bull..... genesis has better graphics then snes. some people are
> just tring to convince themselves that their snes is a great machine, when
> we all know they really wanted to buy a Genesis system.

Can somone send this guy the specs so he can eat his "bull...." in public?
Yeah, I couldn't afford a Genesis so I settled for an SNES... good logic.

No Genesis flames intended. I like both systems, but the above post was
just too silly.
| Tommy Szeto | tsz...@sneezy.ts.stratus.com |
| "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted |