SEGA NEWS -part 3

Sir Han J. Lee

Nov 5, 1990, 12:18:02 AM11/5/90
Second biggest thing that got my attention was the huge size
of many new Mega Drive game cartridges, namely the
8 Megabit ones -- Strider by SEGA, Darius II by Taito,
GAIARES by Telenet Japan, Ambition of Caesar by Micronet,
Valis III by Telenet Japan, and last but not least, Shining
& Darkness by SEGA.
Anyway, here goes...

NEW GAME RELEASES !

It's time to update the new game list for the SEGA
Mega Drive (Genesis)

The format is following:
Date of release, Title, Genre, Company, Cart size, [Comment]

Oct. 10, FZ Senki AXIS, Action, Wolf Team, 4 Meg,
[will be released in US as "Final Zone" thru
Renovation Products]

Oct. 12, Fatman, Action, Sanritsu, 5 Meg,
[will be in US as "Mondu's Fight Palace" by
Activision

Oct. 19, Burning Force, Shooting, Namco, 4 Meg,
[will be in US as the same title by
Namco of America]

Oct. 20, Arrow Flash, Shooting, SEGA, 4 Meg,
[availability in US unknown]

Oct. 21, TEL TEL Stadium, Sports, Sun Soft, 4 Meg + battery
[Modem baseball game]

Oct. 27, Dynamite Duke, Shooting, SEGA, 4 Meg,
[will be in US with the same title by SEGA of America]

Nov. 2, Same! Same! Same!, Shooting, Toaplan, 4 Meg,
[will be in US as "Fire Shark" by Dreamworks]

Nov. 10, Granada, Shooting, Wolf Team, 4 Meg,
[MD version of popular X68000 title]

Nov. 22, Mega Panel, Puzzle, Namco, 2 Meg,
[Columns-like puzzle game with Namco pin-up girls as
the background :) ]

Nov. 30, Star Cruser, Shooting & Adventure, Mesiya (NCS),
4 Meg + battery backup,
[uses polygon graphics]

Nov. ?, I love Mickey Mouse - Hushigi no oshiru daibouken,
Action, SEGA, ? Meg

Nov. ?, Crack Down, Action, SEGA, 4 Meg,
[popular arcade, will NOT come to US]

Nov. ?, Gain Ground, Action & Simulation, SEGA, 4 Meg,
[popular arcade, US availability ??]

Nov. ?, Monster Layer, Shooting, SEGA, 4 Meg,
[???]

Nov. ?, Cuty Suzuki's Ringside Angels, Sports, Asmik, 4 Meg,
[female wrestling game]

Nov. ?, Atomic Robokid, Shooting, Treco, 4 Meg,
[popular arcade game]

Nov. ?, Junction, Puzzle, Micronet, 4 Meg,
[same title, same company in US]

Nov. ?, Shadow Dancer, Action, SEGA, 4 Meg,
[Shinobi sequel, second Ninja game on Mega Drive]

Dec. 10, Zan~Yashaenbukyoku, Simulation, Wolf Team, 4 Meg + battery
[Strategic simulation]

Dec. 18, Dangerous Seed, Shooting, Namco, 4 Meg
[arcade]

Dec. ?, Super License, Simulation, SEGA, ? Meg
[F-1 simulation racer]

Dec. ?, Monster World III, Action, SEGA, ? Meg

Dec. ?, Darius II, Shooting, Taito, 8 Meg
[Taito's ultimate shootem up, has 28 stages]

Dec. ?, Hard Drivin', Driving, Tengen, 2 Meg
[no need to explain this one, right?]

Dec. ?, Super Air Wolf, Shooting, Kyugo Tradings, 4 Meg
["Cross Fire" (?) in US]

Dec. ?, Master of Weapon, Shooting, Taito, ? Meg
[arcade]

Dec. ?, Elemental Master, Shooting, Techno Soft, 4 Meg
[Techno Soft's next title !]

Dec. ?, Kageki, Action, Hot-B, 5 Meg,
[arcade]

Dec. ?, Veritex, Shooting, Asmik, ? Meg
[vertical original shooting]

Dec. ?, Gyuwanburaa juchuushinha katayamasayuki no
majang dojo, Table game, Game Arts, 4 Meg
[don't ask me what the game is]

Dec. ?, Vazome, Action RPG, Treco, 4 Meg,
[will be "Dando" in US]

Dec. ?, Kyuugyoku Tiger, Shooting, Treco, 5 Meg,
[or know to us in US as "Twin Cobra"]

Dec. ?, GAIARES, Shooting, Telenet Japan, 8 Meg,
[Telenet's ultimate shooting game]

Dec. ?, Ambition of Caesar, Simulation, Micronet, 8 Meg,
[Micronet's ultimate military simulation game,
same title in US]

Dec. ?, Heavy Unit, Shooting, Toho, 4 Meg,

Dec. ?, Busha Aleste, Shooting, Toaplan, 4 meg,
[Remember Power Strike for the Master System? (and
in MSX series)
this is the Mega Drive version of that master piece,
but this time you pilot a robot]

Jan. ?, Aero Blaters, Shooting, KANEKO, 4 Meg,
["Air Buster" in arcade]

Jan. ?, Gynoug, Shooting, Mesiya (NCS), 4 Meg,
[a truly, disgustingly gory fantasy shooting]

Jan. ?, Mabutsu Hunter Yoko, Action, Mesiya (NCS), ? Meg,
[Valis seriese -like action game, translated roughly
to "Enchanted creatures Hunter Yoko"]

Mar. ?, Valis III, Action, Telenet Japan, 8 Meg,

Mar. ?, Shining & Darkness, RPG, SEGA, 8 Meg,
[see my previous posting about this game]

** dates and size not available **

Fildius, Action, Unipacc

Wrestle War, Sports, SEGA

Sangokushi - Ransei no eiyuu, Simulation, SEGA
["Three Dynasty Wars - Heros of the difficult times"]

Advanced Daisenryaku, Simulation, SEGA
["Advanced great strategy" - sequel to SEGA's popular MD title
"Super Daisenryaku"]

Alicia Dragoon, Shooting, Game Art

Berlin no kabe, Action, KANEKO
["Berlin wall"]

Ninja Warriors, Action, Taito

Galaxy Force II, Shooting, SEGA
[According to Mega Drive Fan, this game is most likely
to be one of the first CD-ROM title]

Battle Golfer Tada, Sports and Adventure, SEGA

Turbo Out Run, Racer, SEGA
[This game, also, will very likely be a CD-ROM title
according to MD Fan]

Ultraman, Action, SEGA

Letz, Action, SEGA

Appare! Jitsugyooo, Board game, SEGA
[Monopoly-like game]

Patlabor, Adventure, SEGA
[from popula Sci-fi Japanese animation]

Majikaru Hat's Buttobi turbo! Daibouken, Action, SEGA
[another popular Japanese animation, this one is more comical]

Bahamuuto Senki, Simulation, SEGA

Helli Fighter, Shooting, SEGA

Sonic, the Hedgehog, Action, SEGA
[SEGA's answer to Mario and Bonk]

Langritzer, Simulation, Mesiya (NCS)

Sorcer Kingdom, RPG, Meisya (NCS)

Power Drift, Racer, Denpa Shinbusha

Super Fantasy Zone, Shooting, Sun Soft

Super Volleyball, Sports, Video System

Zero Wing, Shooting, Toaplan

Task Force Harrier, Shooting, Treco

Ama Terace, Unidentified genre, Koutanshakeiei

Super Professional Wrestling, Sports, Human

Omega Fighter, Shooting, UPL

Hew! that's it for now; I might have forgot to
include one or two, though.
Send me mail if you're interested in a particular game
and want more detailed information on it.

Han. ___
/| /|| |/\
hl...@cory.Berkeley.EDU / |/ || |>-|
/_____||_|_/

Teh Kao Yang

Nov 5, 1990, 3:24:52 AM11/5/90
In article <85...@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> hl...@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Sir Han J. Lee) writes:

>NEW GAME RELEASES !
>
>It's time to update the new game list for the SEGA
>Mega Drive (Genesis)
>
>Oct. 12, Fatman, Action, Sanritsu, 5 Meg,
> [will be in US as "Mondu's Fight Palace" by
> Activision

Wow...5 meg? Must be one hell of a beat-em-up game.

>Nov. 2, Same! Same! Same!, Shooting, Toaplan, 4 Meg,
> [will be in US as "Fire Shark" by Dreamworks]

Hey... when is this coming out in the US? At the same time? That would
be a first....

>Nov. ?, Crack Down, Action, SEGA, 4 Meg,
> [popular arcade, will NOT come to US]

WHY NOT???

>Nov. ?, Atomic Robokid, Shooting, Treco, 4 Meg,
> [popular arcade game]

Man what's the deal with this game? It's been delayed forever.....is it
good??

>Dec. ?, Darius II, Shooting, Taito, 8 Meg
> [Taito's ultimate shootem up, has 28 stages]

Wow......

>Dec. ?, GAIARES, Shooting, Telenet Japan, 8 Meg,
> [Telenet's ultimate shooting game]

Double Wow......

>Dec. ?, Busha Aleste, Shooting, Toaplan, 4 meg,

>Jan. ?, Aero Blaters, Shooting, KANEKO, 4 Meg,

>Jan. ?, Gynoug, Shooting, Mesiya (NCS), 4 Meg,

I'm glad that there's so many shooters coming out for the Genesis....it's
my favorite type of game... right now there aren't too many good shooters
avaialable.... and it's great that TOAPLAN is bringing out all their arcade
hits!! I love their games! Except Zero Wing....

>Sonic, the Hedgehog, Action, SEGA
>[SEGA's answer to Mario and Bonk]

Actually I think SEGA already has SEVERAL answers to Mario and Bonk...
and their names are Shinobi, Wonder Boy, Alex Kidd, and Space Harrier...

>Zero Wing, Shooting, Toaplan

I've seen this game in the arcades and I really don't like the graphics
..... it looked dark and unspectacular, very unlike other Toaplan games...
but the game itself isn't bad....

>Send me mail if you're interested in a particular game
>and want more detailed information on it.

If it isn't too much trouble, I've always wanted to know about the games
that are out in Japan right now but not (or will never be)
available in the US....are there any particularly good ones??
And what are the best-selling MD games in Japan?? And what are the best
games, according to the panel of reviewers??

>hl...@cory.Berkeley.EDU / |/ || |>-|

Thanks a lot for the info, Han!!!!!

Ian Farquhar

Nov 9, 1990, 10:14:48 AM11/9/90
In article <85...@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> hl...@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Sir Han J. Lee) writes:
>Second biggest thing that got my attention was the huge size
>of many new Mega Drive game cartridges, namely the
>8 Megabit ones -- Strider by SEGA, Darius II by Taito,

What's so huge about 8 Mbits?

As has been said (as nauseum) in this newsgroup, 8Mbits = 2Mbytes.
Considering that much of this is graphics and sound, and that the 68000 isn't
known for it's storage efficiency, I am not overly impressed by this
figure. It's the equivalent of a 2-3 disk Amiga game. That is no big
deal.

We've all got so used to shoehorned games for consoles that we become
surprised when decent sized carts are manufactured. Oh well, just
another engineering compromise, I suppose...

--
Ian Farquhar Phone : 61 2 805-9404
Office of Computing Services Fax : 61 2 805-7433

Six o'clock News

Nov 9, 1990, 8:41:34 PM11/9/90

From: ch...@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Paul "Mega Drive" Chen)

2Mbytes is it?

I hate to break it to everyone, but 1 byte = 8 bits!!!!!!

That means that 8 MegaBits = 1 MegaByte!!!!!

Gee, no wonder I don't believe a word you say.

paul

|Paul Chen | Screw Sega of America. Only get games from Japan|
|ch...@cory.berkeley.edu | They're much cheaper! |

Kwai Hong Woo

Nov 10, 1990, 1:16:55 PM11/10/90
In article <7...@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz> ifar...@sunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Ian Farquhar) writes:
>In article <85...@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> hl...@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Sir Han J. Lee) writes:
>>Second biggest thing that got my attention was the huge size
>>of many new Mega Drive game cartridges, namely the
>>8 Megabit ones -- Strider by SEGA, Darius II by Taito,
>
>What's so huge about 8 Mbits?
>
>As has been said (as nauseum) in this newsgroup, 8Mbits = 2Mbytes.
>Considering that much of this is graphics and sound, and that the 68000 isn't
>known for it's storage efficiency, I am not overly impressed by this
>figure. It's the equivalent of a 2-3 disk Amiga game. That is no big
>deal.

Heck. Wing Commander for my IBM took up 6 M-BYTES on my hard disk!!!!!!
Using chiphead language, isn't equal to three Strider???

However, I am sure Han was talking relatively to all the Sega Genesis carts or
video games catrs in general.

Please, don't compare oranges with apples.

just my MR$0.05 worth. &-)

Kwai Hong Woo

IBM PC for wife and Video Games Machines as mistresses!

Ian Farquhar

Nov 15, 1990, 5:30:16 PM11/15/90
In article <75...@uwm.edu> kwai...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Kwai Hong Woo) writes:
>In article <7...@macuni.mqcc.mq.oz> ifar...@sunc.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Ian Farquhar) writes:
>>What's so huge about 8 Mbits?
>>
>>As has been said (as nauseum) in this newsgroup, 8Mbits = 2Mbytes.
>>Considering that much of this is graphics and sound, and that the 68000 isn't
>>known for it's storage efficiency, I am not overly impressed by this
>>figure. It's the equivalent of a 2-3 disk Amiga game. That is no big
>>deal.

Actually, as I said in a posting after this one, I got it wrong. 8Mbits
= 1Mbyte. The original article was posted at 2 am, and that's my
(albeit poor) excuse.

>Heck. Wing Commander for my IBM took up 6 M-BYTES on my hard disk!!!!!!
>Using chiphead language, isn't equal to three Strider???

The IBM PC is a special case. Many games are large simply because they
are carrying about multiple versions of bitmaps for the variously
incompatible graphics cards. Whether this is the case with Wing
Commander I am not sure, but it is the case with many games on the
IBM's. Additionally, a very few PC games are now starting to carry
around multiple copies of the executables to allow the program to take
advantage of the differing processors.

>Please, don't compare oranges with apples.

I'm not. Oranges and manderines would be closer. The Sega Genesis and
the Commodore Amiga (which was my original point of comparison) are very
similar. The game size for both systems would be roughly comparable, as
would Atari ST software.