Anyone played these Super Famicom games?

Teh Kao Yang

Jan 21, 1992, 4:22:18 AM1/21/92
I'm just wondering if anyone tried these games out. I'm really curious as
to how good they are....

Is Thunder Spirits better than Thunderforce 3? If so, how is it better?

How does Raiden compare with the Genesis and TG-16 versions?

=tehkao

Teh Kao Yang

Jan 21, 1992, 4:38:09 AM1/21/92
I'm surprised no RPG fans on the net has mentioned anything about the
new RPG's that are going to be released for the Genesis, according to the
latest Gamepro magazine. I for one am really excited about these new games.
If they are done well then no other machine can touch the Genesis if it
comes to RPGs. I guess a lot of the RPG players around here are unfamiliar
with RPGs on actual computers. IMHO the computer RPGs, most of them written
by U.S. programmers, are much interesting, innovative, and in many other
ways superior to the Japanese RPGs.

Hollow World - This game is supposed to be based on Dungeon and Dragons,
but I'm not sure if it's developed by SSI or not. (BTW, SSI creates
the AD&D series of games for the IBM PC's, which are incidentally, among the
best RPGs ever created.)

Black Crypt - Computer Gaming World magazine was raving about this new
Electronic Arts game coming out for the PCs. I guess it's being ported to
the Genesis too. It's supposed to be quite revolutionary, with the best
player interface yet in an RPG, with play and graphics similar to Dungeon
Master.

Might and Magic 3: Isles of Terra - How EA is going to port this humongous
and awesome game to the Genesis, I have no idea. But it seems like they plan
to do it.

Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday: Another PC game ported to the Genesis.
Has this game come out already? I'm definitely going to get it. It's based
on the AD&D game system and developed by SSI.

All of these games I guess would be at least 8 meg + battery backup. I'm
sure that a lot of ultra-compression would be needed to fit these huge
RPGs onto an 8 meg cart. I just hope that there won't be that much lost in
the translation.

=tehkao

Milton W. Kuo

Jan 21, 1992, 2:49:10 PM1/21/92
In article <knnqg1...@agate.berkeley.edu> teh...@ocf.berkeley.edu (Teh Kao Yang) writes:
>I'm surprised no RPG fans on the net has mentioned anything about the
>new RPG's that are going to be released for the Genesis, according to the
>latest Gamepro magazine. I for one am really excited about these new games.
>If they are done well then no other machine can touch the Genesis if it
>comes to RPGs. I guess a lot of the RPG players around here are unfamiliar
>with RPGs on actual computers. IMHO the computer RPGs, most of them written
>by U.S. programmers, are much interesting, innovative, and in many other
>ways superior to the Japanese RPGs.

That's true. I find that a lot of the Japanese RPG's are just so
formula (get powerful, finish sub story, get more powerful, finish yet
another sub story, ad nauseum until the boss). The only Japanese RPG
which really impressed me was Phantasy Star II. The character devel-
opment and storyline just really appealed to me.

>Hollow World - This game is supposed to be based on Dungeon and Dragons,
> but I'm not sure if it's developed by SSI or not. (BTW, SSI creates
>the AD&D series of games for the IBM PC's, which are incidentally, among the
>best RPGs ever created.)

This game kind of sounds like the game "Hollow Fighter" which was
mentioned in EGM #9! Of course, EGM never had screen shots so maybe
they were making the whole thing up. Does anybody know if this is the
game EGM was talking (hyping :-) about in issue #9?

>Might and Magic 3: Isles of Terra - How EA is going to port this humongous
>and awesome game to the Genesis, I have no idea. But it seems like they plan
>to do it.

??? Where's Might And Magic I?! I don't know how fun M&M III is
but I get the funny feeling it's nothing but a graphics tour-de-force
with little in the way of funness. I don't know how many people ac-
tually played M&M I for IBM-PC but it was so neat. The magic items,
the combat system, the puzzles -- everything was so fresh and it was
also very challenging. Not only were the monsters tough, but the puz-
zles were also tough. This was no stupid game where being powerful is
going to win the game.

>Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday: Another PC game ported to the Genesis.
>Has this game come out already? I'm definitely going to get it. It's based
>on the AD&D game system and developed by SSI.

Buck Rogers has been out for a month or two, I believe. However,
I looked at the game and I was led to the conclusion that is sucks big
rocks. Of course, I could be wrong but it's not like I've never play-
ed these kind of games before....

>All of these games I guess would be at least 8 meg + battery backup. I'm
>sure that a lot of ultra-compression would be needed to fit these huge
>RPGs onto an 8 meg cart. I just hope that there won't be that much lost in
>the translation.

I'm hoping for Might And Magic I! :-) With updated graphics, of
course. ;-)

--
Milton W. Kuo
mil...@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu

Isao Takeda

Jan 21, 1992, 6:26:37 PM1/21/92
>comes to RPGs. I guess a lot of the RPG players around here are unfamiliar
>with RPGs on actual computers. IMHO the computer RPGs, most of them written
>by U.S. programmers, are much interesting, innovative, and in many other
>ways superior to the Japanese RPGs.

Well, I think they are very different. Since they are different, I
don't want to compare Japanese RPGs with Western RPGs (I am not sure if
they are US made. They may be designed by European programmers.) , or
vice versa. It seems that WRPGs tend to be non-linear, complex, and
with lots of magical weapons with differnt purposes, while JRPGs tend to
be closer to run-through-the-mill type with non-magical weapons. I like
the artstyle of JRPGs more than that of WRPGs. JRPGs are like watching
movies with great visual and sound effects, and WRPGs is more like
writing your own story. I don't think one is better than the other
since they are just differnt things. I think they should belong to the
different categories.

IST

P.S.--- I just can't believe that many people still think Street
Fighter II is designed by U.S. programmers.

Michael Portuesi

Jan 21, 1992, 7:49:48 PM1/21/92
Yang) writes:
|>IMHO the computer RPGs, most of them written
|>by U.S. programmers, are much interesting, innovative,
|>and in many other ways superior to the Japanese RPGs.

| That's true. I find that a lot of the Japanese RPG's

|are just so formula (get powerful, finish sub story, get
|more powerful, finish yet another sub story, ad nauseum
|until the boss).

I feel the same way about American vs. Japanese video
games in general. The most boring, formula games seem
to be coming from Japan. Most of my favorite games are
either produced by American companies (EA) or are
designed by American teams (Toe Jam and Earl).

Of course, since most of the games for the home systems
originate from Japan, this isn't really a fair comparison,
because that means most of the _boring_ games come
from there as well....

m.

Michael Portuesi Silicon Graphics, Inc. port...@sgi.com

Dave Meeks

Jan 21, 1992, 11:48:39 PM1/21/92

Might and Magic I - Gates to Another World, has been out, at least for the
Sega Genesis, for quite a while now. It is produced by EA and has a
~200 page instruction book, backup, etc.. Great game...

--
David T. Meeks ||" Strange how laughter looks like crying
VMark Software, Inc. || with no sound.

Douglas Terrebonne

Jan 22, 1992, 5:31:25 PM1/22/92

>I'm just wondering if anyone tried these games out. I'm really curious as
>to how good they are....

>Is Thunder Spirits better than Thunderforce 3? If so, how is it better?

TF III on the Genny is much better... Even the sound/BGM...

>How does Raiden compare with the Genesis and TG-16 versions?

The TG/PCE version of Raiden is the overall best... Followed by Genny then the
awful SNES/SF version.

>=tehkao

Doug

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Douglas Terrebonne, N6VMI do...@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG
CI$: 74106,311 Cogswell Polytechnical College

David W. Goodnuff

Jan 22, 1992, 10:42:07 PM1/22/92

In article <65...@ut-emx.uucp> mil...@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Milton W. Kuo) writes:
>In article <knnqg1...@agate.berkeley.edu> teh...@ocf.berkeley.edu (Teh Kao Yang) writes:
>
> I'm hoping for Might And Magic I! :-) With updated graphics, of
>course. ;-)

Might and Magic I - Gates to Another World, has been out, at least for the
Sega Genesis, for quite a while now. It is produced by EA and has a
~200 page instruction book, backup, etc.. Great game...

I believe that you are mistaken here. I have played all 3 in the IBM.
The first was Secret of the Inner Sanctum and the second was Gates to
another world. When released on the genny, they chose to release the
second one only (or maybee just first). But they labeled it MM 1.
You cannot currently get the real Might and Magic 1 on the genesis, only
on computer. I personally like all 3 although MM3 is my favorite rpg of
all time! This is not intended as a flame, only as a clarification.
8-).

-=|=- -=|=- -=|=- -=|=- -=|=-
-David Goodnuff-
good...@phoenix.princeton.edu

Milton W. Kuo

Jan 23, 1992, 12:42:58 AM1/23/92
In article <1992Jan22.0...@uvmark.uucp> da...@uvmark.uucp (Dave Meeks) writes:
>Might and Magic I - Gates to Another World, has been out, at least for the
>Sega Genesis, for quite a while now. It is produced by EA and has a
>~200 page instruction book, backup, etc.. Great game...

The Might And Magic that is out for the Sega Genesis is Might
And Magic II. Might And Magic II had much better graphics than the
first M&M but it definitely is nowhere near as original or fun.