Electronic Arts..give me a break

SJ...@cunyvm.bitnet

Oct 15, 1991, 2:18:22 PM10/15/91

In mid September, I ordered Dark Castle for the Genesis through
EA. I was told the game should be out by 9/20. No deal..10/1..no deal.
I called EA today because I heard the game has been released. It has and
will be in stores tomorrow. So where is my copy, I asked. On back order!!!

Is it just me or should anyone who orders directly through a company,
get the copy first. It is "video torture" to see a game on the shelves you
want, and have to wait for it in the mail (I was told it could be up at
least one week, or more). Give me a break......

I can cancel the order and pick it up at the store, but I got it for
34.95 + 3.50 shipping. Not bad.

Just sounding off.......thanks for listening....Steve

Anyone else with similar gripes.....?

The Unknown User

Oct 16, 1991, 12:30:43 AM10/16/91

In article <59...@ut-emx.uucp> mil...@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Milton W. Kuo) writes:
> OH NOOOOOO!!!! It's another Electronic Arts PORT! Well, since they've
>released some good games as of late, I won't say anything. I'll leave it up
>to you guys :-) However, I just have the worst feeling.... I know this was
>originally a Macintosh game but was this game ever made available for any
>other systems?

The GS version of the game is "pretty good." Good enough that I'm
probably going to buy it (Quality Computers is having a closeout on a bunch
of games.. $14.95 each or 3 for $36.95.. Dark Castle, Alien Mind, Warlock,
Rocket Ranger, Star Saga, and The Three Stooges)

The graphics seemed a little bit "cartoony" compared to things like
Alien Mind, Xenocide, and Task Force, but the gameplay is still about as good
as the original.
--
/ unk...@ucscb.ucsc.edu Apple IIGS Forever! \
\WANT to help get ULTIMA VI //e or GS written?-mail me. CHEAP CD info-mail me./

Milton W. Kuo

Oct 15, 1991, 9:36:09 PM10/15/91
In article <91288.14...@CUNYVM.BITNET> SJ...@CUNYVM.BITNET writes:

> In mid September, I ordered Dark Castle for the Genesis through
>EA. I was told the game should be out by 9/20. No deal..10/1..no deal.
>I called EA today because I heard the game has been released. It has and
>will be in stores tomorrow. So where is my copy, I asked. On back order!!!

OH NOOOOOO!!!! It's another Electronic Arts PORT! Well, since they've

released some good games as of late, I won't say anything. I'll leave it up
to you guys :-) However, I just have the worst feeling.... I know this was
originally a Macintosh game but was this game ever made available for any
other systems?

The IBM-PC port done by 360 Software doesn't count -- it SUCKED royally
(slow down and incredibly bad graphics) and I was playing it on an 80386 PC
with a VGA!

--

Milton W. Kuo
mil...@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu

Michael Portuesi

Oct 16, 1991, 6:42:01 AM10/16/91
In article <59...@ut-emx.uucp>, mil...@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Milton W.
Kuo) writes:

[about Dark Castle]

|> OH NOOOOOO!!!! It's another Electronic Arts PORT!
|> Well, since they've released some good games as of late,
|> I won't say anything. I'll leave it up to you guys :-)
|> However, I just have the worst feeling.... I know this was
|> originally a Macintosh game but was this game ever
|> made available for any other systems?

Yes. I owned a version of it for the Amiga. The audio was
virtually identical to the Macintosh version (which had
some neat sampled sounds). The game graphics were redone
in color for the Amiga, and looked real nice, though they
seemed a bit "colorized" compared to other video games --
though if you hadn't known Dark Castle was originally a
monochrome game you probably wouldn't notice.

The Amiga version suffered from no slowdown or flicker
problems of any kind. I would expect the Genesis version
to be at least as good as the Amiga version.

m.

--
Michael Portuesi Silicon Graphics, Inc. port...@sgi.com

Brian Bishop

Oct 16, 1991, 11:27:39 AM10/16/91

In article <59...@ut-emx.uucp> mil...@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Milton W. Kuo) writes:
[ .. stuff about 'Dark Castle' deleted ...]

> OH NOOOOOO!!!! It's another Electronic Arts PORT! Well, since they've
>released some good games as of late, I won't say anything. I'll leave it up
>to you guys :-) However, I just have the worst feeling.... I know this was
>originally a Macintosh game but was this game ever made available for any
>other systems?
>
> The IBM-PC port done by 360 Software doesn't count -- it SUCKED royally
>(slow down and incredibly bad graphics) and I was playing it on an 80386 PC
>with a VGA!

The Amiga port was done by 360 and also sucked big rocks. Pretty
frustrating to me, since I used to own Mac before my Amiga and knew
that the Mac version was a lot better. Fortunately that hasn't
happened much since then ;-) (I just stay away from 360 ports)

While I'm at it, let me add that I just got NHL hockey and my roommate
and I have been playing about an hour a day minimum on it. It's great!
The replay is an especially nice feature, since you can scroll around
gthe entire rink (My roommate uses it to spot where penalties occur
when they were off-screen). My only complaints are that the penalties
seem to be random (as in: unrelated to the actual foul). I smash a guy
down from behind and get called for 'tripping'. No big deal. Has
anyone figured out when you get 'fight instigator'?

Also, does anyone know anything about the strategy game coming out
for TG-16 CD called 'super big strategy'? I really like 'Military
Madness' and this is supposed to be even better! Over 120 different
pieces, and varied battles, from fantasy to VietNam. 'Turboplay'
magazine (NEC's rag) claims that the VietNam campaign takes over a
week for the computer to play itself!!!

Hasta la cliche' babe,

--

Brian Bishop, Software Engineer, Zyga Corporation

(br...@grebyn.com) "This one is for the eyes of the other dogs to come."

Pete Ashdown

Oct 16, 1991, 6:21:45 PM10/16/91
br...@grebyn.com (Brian Bishop) writes:

> [ .. stuff about 'Dark Castle' deleted ...]

> The Amiga port was done by 360 and also sucked big rocks. Pretty

>frustrating to me, since I used to own Mac before my Amiga and knew
>that the Mac version was a lot better. Fortunately that hasn't
>happened much since then ;-) (I just stay away from 360 ports)

Care to elaborate? I played Dark Castle on the Mac _A LOT_ before buying the
Amiga version. I thought it was just as playable, and looked a whole lot
better in color. Sounded exactly the same too. Beyond Dark Castle by
Activision was a worthy port as well.

Maybe Mike Farren would care to comment.
--
TELEVISION! Drug of our nation. Breeder of ignorance and feeder of radiation.

DISCLAIMER: My writings have NOTHING to do with my employer. Keep it that way.
Pete Ashdown pash...@javelin.sim.es.com ...uunet!javelin.sim.es.com!pashdown

Brian Bishop

Oct 17, 1991, 1:40:17 PM10/17/91

In article <1991Oct16....@javelin.sim.es.com> pash...@javelin.sim.es.com (Pete Ashdown) writes:
>br...@grebyn.com (Brian Bishop) writes:
>
>> [ .. stuff about 'Dark Castle' deleted ...]
>
>> The Amiga port was done by 360 and also sucked big rocks. Pretty
>>frustrating to me, since I used to own Mac before my Amiga and knew
>>that the Mac version was a lot better. Fortunately that hasn't
>>happened much since then ;-) (I just stay away from 360 ports)
>
>Care to elaborate?

Sure!

I played Dark Castle on the Mac _A LOT_ before buying the
>Amiga version. I thought it was just as playable, and looked a whole lot
>better in color. Sounded exactly the same too. Beyond Dark Castle by
>Activision was a worthy port as well.

I agree it sounded the same, and looked about the same (although I
actually think it looked better in b/w). My major complaint was the
controls. I thought they were positively sluggish compared to the Mac
version. On the Mac I could zip the little dude back and forth on a dime
and go up stairs by holding down multiple keys, etc. but on the
Amiga version I felt a definite time lag before my keypress took
effect, causing me to miss ladders.

It's been a while, but I seem to recall that the timing of various
things like boulder bounces was different too, messing up my previous
'tactics' from the Mac version. Not a major problem, but it added
to my feeling that it was not an 'true' port (whatever that means..).

I think if you take it alone on its own merits it is just OK. But
the Mac Dark Castle was excellent. My local dealer told me that Beyond
Dark Castle was better, but I didn't bother with it.

Added note:

Based on the discussion here, I went out and bought Road Rash. I've
only raced about seven times, but so far I agree with the godod AND
bad comments! It does have a nice randomness, but the steering could
have been done better.....