Madden '93 (Genesis) gripes

John Rinck

Nov 17, 1992, 4:46:45 PM11/17/92
I just bought John Madden '93 for the Genesis and overall
I am impressed. However, two things bug me, and they are:

1. On punts, when the field flips 180 degrees, there is a pause
for about half a second in which the ball is frozen in midair. This
did not happen in Madden '92. It is possible that my particular
cartridge or Genesis has a glitch somewhere, but I doubt it. This
lack of continuity on punts is pretty annoying.

2. I was shocked to read in the manual that John Madden himself
did not give the players their ratings. Apparently it is some Madden
relatives who got this enviable job. I somehow felt at peace thinking
that John Madden, in his infinite football wisdom, was behind each
players' rating. Now that I know he isn't, I can legitimately
criticize whoever rated Rod Woodson as having only an eight in speed.
It just doen't feel like "John Madden" football anymore now that I know
who actually rated the players.

Madden '93 tip: Be the Bears from 1985, and when on defense, be Mike
Singletary, the guy is a beast. When on offense, hand off to Walter
Payton; he runs better than Barry Sanders and Thurman Thomas combined.

John

Stan T2 Wen

Nov 25, 1992, 3:13:13 PM11/25/92
In article <1992Nov17.2...@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> c15...@po.berkeley.edu (John Rinck) writes:
>I just bought John Madden '93 for the Genesis and overall
>I am impressed. However, two things bug me, and they are:
>
>1. On punts, when the field flips 180 degrees, there is a pause
>for about half a second in which the ball is frozen in midair. This
>did not happen in Madden '92. It is possible that my particular
>cartridge or Genesis has a glitch somewhere, but I doubt it. This
>lack of continuity on punts is pretty annoying.

Yes, it's true, you aren't dreaming this up.

>Madden '93 tip: Be the Bears from 1985, and when on defense, be Mike
>Singletary, the guy is a beast. When on offense, hand off to Walter
>Payton; he runs better than Barry Sanders and Thurman Thomas combined.

My tip: Be Washington from the '92 season and choose #55 on defense,
he simply cannot be stopped. I can usually keep someone to ~1 yd per
carry with him in the backfield. You can also pound the other guy's
QB when you get back there. Don't call the nickel defense, it sucks,
and the opponent will always complete his pass even if you call nickel
cover. That should be fixed.

Gripes:

1. Too many fumbles. Destroys the continuity of the game.

2. Punt return setup has too few blockers. Everybody on the team except
two little girly-blockers goes after the kicker. Thus, I can't get a decent
return unless I'm playing somebody super-slow.

3. The All-Madden and All-Madden Greats aren't really that much better than
a well-balanced team. I was having better success with '92 teams than with
his A-M's and A-M-G's. I wonder if that's intentional...

4. Computer opponents rarely get breakaway passes. I suppose this is better
for you, but it would be nice to get antsy over being burned on a long play
by the computer.

More as I discover it.
--
_ __ __ __ __ _ _ __ __ _
_ | _ \ Stan T2 Wen we...@midway.uchicago.edu

David Wayne Goodnuff

Nov 28, 1992, 1:41:16 AM11/28/92
In article <1992Nov25.2...@midway.uchicago.edu> we...@midway.uchicago.edu writes:
>My tip: Be Washington from the '92 season and choose #55 on defense,
>he simply cannot be stopped. I can usually keep someone to ~1 yd per
>carry with him in the backfield. You can also pound the other guy's
>QB when you get back there. Don't call the nickel defense, it sucks,
>and the opponent will always complete his pass even if you call nickel
>cover. That should be fixed.

I disagree, I usually play with nickel, double se as my main defensive
play and I can hold most computer teams to under 100 yards total in a
5min quarter game.

One problem I noted is that the madden greats and '92 teams stats are
really wierd. the madden '92 qb. does not exist, ie his stats are not
the same for any of the teams qbs - same goes for several other
positions! Also some positions list a guy who is worse in every stat
than another current player! very wierd.
-=|=- -=|=- -=|=- -=|=- -=|=-
-David Goodnuff-
good...@phoenix.princeton.edu

Eric Jose Garci

Nov 29, 1992, 12:12:25 AM11/29/92

I've run into a few problems myself with Madden '93. Don't get me wrong...
I still think that it is a GREAT game! However, it has a few minor bugs.

First of all, I am a little bit annoyed by the slight delay that occurs when
you punt the ball. This bug was not present in the previous versions, so I
wonder how it ever cropped up.

My main concern is with the passing game. On some occasions, when you pass
to a receiver, you are unable to control him while the ball is in the air,
no matter how many times you press the B button to select him. Again, this
bug was not present in previous versions. Also, when you throw a pass into
the endzone, the screen stops following the flight of the ball as soon as
the ball crosses the plane of the endzone. This makes it very difficult to
complete a touchdown pass to the back of the endzone. Strangely enough,
this phenomenon does not occur when you review the same play with the instant
replay feature.

Another interesting bug lets you call a no-huddle offense in between quarters
and change-of-possessions that sometimes catches the defense off-guard, if not
totally off the field!

When the same team plays against itself, the home team always receives the
first kickoff, regardless of the outcome of the coin toss.

In addition, the game still lets you get up after a tackle and move to the
place in between the hashmarks where you want the ball to be spotted for the
next play!

Besides having to get used to the split-screen play calling (which seems to
be a gimmick, in my opinion), I find Madden '93 to be a decent improvement
over its predecessors, while leaving enough room for Madden '94 to build on.

-Erik

--

ga...@cs.unc.edu

Hasit YJM Mehta

Nov 29, 1992, 1:35:11 AM11/29/92
In article <1992Nov29....@galileo.cc.rochester.edu> hm0...@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Hasit YJM Mehta) writes:

There is not much to say. It is one of the worst games I have EVER seen for
any system. Sewer Shark sucks real bad, don't even bother renting it. I only
hope I can return it. I really hope some good games come out for the Sega-CD
within the next 2 weeks otherwise my system is going back, I am very
dissapointed in the current software releases. Price of Persia also SUCKS
compared to the Macintosh version. Sega is really not doing the system
justice I think they should scrap the video idea it just looks bad, period.
They should move to cartoons/anime. Sewer Shark is just a video and y{u just
move a gu}i}in{around and shoot things (rats, bats, and so on) and every
once in
a while you have to steer (left, right, up, or down). The game flows like
the LD games e.g. Dragon Lair. The video is grainy and choppy at times, it
also does not cover very much of the screen. The sound and music is okay.
The graphics are bad, game play is terrible and the plot is just plain dumb.
On a scale of 1-10 this game gets a 2.
Hasit
On a brief side note, the game did come in a "real" CD jewel box. BUT the
manual was not made to fit in the CD case which is really annoying.

Hasit YJM Mehta

Nov 29, 1992, 1:27:35 AM11/29/92

Brian Jepperson

Nov 29, 1992, 10:55:27 AM11/29/92
In article <17...@borg.cs.unc.edu>, ga...@hatteras.cs.unc.edu (Eric Jose Garci) writes:

> I've run into a few problems myself with Madden '93. Don't get me wrong...
> I still think that it is a GREAT game! However, it has a few minor bugs.

I agree, I have had the original madden, and madden 92 and in
many ways I think this is the WORST of the three (but it is a
great series of games). The graphics are no better than 92,
there is slowdown, there are many other small bugs, some of
which Eric mentioned, but there are others, like when they
measure to see if there is a first down, and then they measure
again. They seem to have removed the injuries as far as I can
tell (you hardly ever saw them in 92 but at least they were
occasionally there). Well, I've learned my lesson, if and when
they come out with madden 94 I am going to take a good, hard,
critical look at it before I decide to buy. The madden name is no
longer enough.

Brian Jepperson
EDS - Troy Michigan
jepp...@csid.gmeds.com
or
wild...@aol.com

T-Dub - SGP '92

Dec 1, 1992, 1:08:57 AM12/1/92
In article <12...@pascal.einstein.eds.com>, jepp...@einstein.eds.com (Brian Jepperson) writes:

> I agree, I have had the original madden, and madden 92 and in
> many ways I think this is the WORST of the three (but it is a
> great series of games). The graphics are no better than 92,
> there is slowdown, there are many other small bugs, some of
> which Eric mentioned, but there are others, like when they
> measure to see if there is a first down, and then they measure
> again. They seem to have removed the injuries as far as I can
> tell (you hardly ever saw them in 92 but at least they were
> occasionally there). Well, I've learned my lesson, if and when
> they come out with madden 94 I am going to take a good, hard,
> critical look at it before I decide to buy. The madden name is no
> longer enough.
>

> Brian Jepperson
> EDS - Troy Michigan
> jepp...@csid.gmeds.com
> or
> wild...@aol.com

Wow, seems like this may not be the game to buy if you already own Madden '92.
I know I'm *very* glad I rented NHLPA Hockey '93. There were definite
improvements over the original NHL Hockey, but I beat the thing on a two day
rental, and some of the things I expected to be fixed/updated, were not,
prompting me to wait for NHL/NHLPA Hockey '94 and to send a letter with my
request of what the game still lacks. I hope I can rent both Montana & Madden
'93 before I buy. Madden '93 sounds like a BIG disappointmnt for Madden '92
owners, a game I still play with great regularity.

TER

be here now

Dec 1, 1992, 3:44:14 PM12/1/92
)Madden '93 sounds like a BIG disappointmnt for Madden '92
)owners, a game I still play with great regularity.
)
) TER

I have SNES and Madden '93 (imho) is a vast improvement over '92.
There are game and player stats at halftime and at the end of the game,
tackling, running, and passing is also easier. Also, there are quite
a few more plays to choose from both defensively and offensively.
There is a bit of a slowdown during punts when the ball is in the air
but it doesn't affect game play at all. The split screen with defense
at the top and offense on the bottom is better imho because there is
less possiblity of seeing your opponents play selection. Not that we
don't look anyway :) but having them separated is a good thing.
Player taunting is also new. When your defense is on the field and
the offense is still choosing the next play, you can take one of your
defensive men and beat up on the offense. Just be sure to get back
on your side of the line! Also, notice that when the offense does not
complete a 3rd down or is sacked a defensive player will rub it in by
pointing at the ground or butting heads with another defensive player.

--
Bob Pietkivitch | "Moon, my long lost friend, is smiling from above."
rj...@ihspa.att.com | -- Genesis, Stagnation 1970

Dave Meeks

Dec 1, 1992, 5:48:41 PM12/1/92

Just as an opposing viewpoint, I would disagree with Brian's opinion.
I found Madden '93 to be a great improvement. It doesn't have any slowdown
at all, except for the mentioned problem during the punts, and may have a
few small bugs (none of which I have seen). It does have injuries and the
graphics are better in the sense of additional moves and scenes. I found that
the defenses were a lot better (the computer) and you couldn't do some of the
cheap things you did before, such as throwing the long pass a lot into coverage
and catching it (more apt to get an interception if you do it now) or when
running always using the "lean forward" button to crash into a defender, which
will now cause an occasional fumble if you dive for yardage and get crunched.
In other words, I find it a little more realistic in that sense. It also has
more complete statistics, including cumulative playoff statistics, which I
found interesting. And, the best thing of all was the inclusion of the
All-Time teams. That in itself made it worth it to me. Getting to play the
72 Dolphins and prove once and for all that they are the greatest ever :-)
made me feel good :-) :-). Anyway, Madden '93 should NOT be considered
a disappointment for Madden '92 owners. It is NOT a great improvement, but
were are talking about a great game already. I also found NHLPA to be better
than NHL, though again, not by any great leaps and bounds. I just found it
played smoother, quicker, and was more responsive (if you can believe that)
than the first.
--
David T. Meeks || "New shadows tugging at the corner of his eye
VMark Software, Inc. || Jostling for attention as the sunlight flares

GJames

Dec 2, 1992, 2:08:59 PM12/2/92

I still think this game is terrible. There are so many players on the field
that controling them is near impossible. The only way to play offense is to
let the computer do all the plays for you.
IMHO

Spectre

Dec 2, 1992, 6:34:50 PM12/2/92
In article <12...@pascal.einstein.eds.com> jepp...@einstein.eds.com (Brian Jepperson) writes:
> They seem to have removed the injuries as far as I can
> tell (you hardly ever saw them in 92 but at least they were
> occasionally there).

It's still there....by quarterback keeps getting taken out.

-Jeff

--
'Some girls you want to go out with, some you just want to bag' -Rebecca
* Jeff Schreiber *********** __ While people are dreaming of flying, ***